• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 1,892 Views, 40 Comments

Quest for the Past - Ekhidna



Lyra Heartstrings, the mint colored unicorn obsessed with humans decides to search for them and prove their existance, even if that means to go into the deepths of the Everfree Forest itself.

  • ...
12
 40
 1,892

.....I don't know anymore"

Chapter 4: …..I don’t know anymore

The Institute of War, Day 45

Well, this is it, my final recording before I leave tomorrow, Pantheon said the monsters are calm again, so I should be fine for my trip back home.

I don’t want to leave him now. He’s not my test or proof or anything stupid and heartless like that even though I’m ashamed to admit I first saw him as just that, but not anymore. He is my friend and I’m his only friend, I don’t want to leave him alone again in this place where only sadness and painful memories haunt him, but he insists that he must remain to guard this place, because if those damn monsters ever return, the entrance would be by that same room where it all ended all those thousands of years ago, or so he thinks.

Want to know a funny thing? Turns out the reason I couldn’t use my magic was due to the power of the orb, strange, isn’t it? Anyways, I have to sleep, tomorrow I will try one last time to convince him to come with me, to give life another chance and to see the beautiful world he and his comrades saved.

--------------------------------------------------------****************************************

“Do you need anything else, Lyra?” Pantheon asked while checking her fixed and improved saddlebags, both of them bearing proudly the mark of the League and his own personal mark.

“No, that would be all Pantheon, thank you, for everything.” Lyra said looking up at him “Are you sure you don’t want to come? I’m sure the princesses would love to hear your story and maybe even help you travel around the world.” Pantheon said nothing. “It’s a beautiful world out there, I’ve told you several times already, I know, but please, please Pantheon, you can’t stay here anymore, enjoy your life, enjoy the world you saved.”

Pantheon sighed tiredly before answering. “As much as I want to, I can’t and I won’t. Lyra, I would rather spend the rest of eternity here,” he pointed the ground below him. “Making sure the world my fellow Legends and I saved from a fate worse than oblivion itself than to see it with my own eyes, you have taught me and showed me enough to assure what we did was worthy.” Pantheon smiled (behind his helmet) down at her.

Lyra gave out a deep sigh before smiling up at him. “I’m not going to convince you, am I?” Both shared a light chuckle. “Can I come visit you sometime in the future perhaps?”

“You will always be welcome here, Lyra, The Truth Searcher.” Pantheon kneeled and pet her a few times. “We will see each other again.” Lyra blushed as she enjoyed the petting. “Oh, almost forgot,” he said stopping his petting and reached to the bag at his side, after a few seconds he pulled out a small steel figurine of himself in his usual battle pose but the mark on his shield was not his personal mark, instead it was replaced by that of Lyra’s cutie mark. “A parting gift, a sign of our friendship.”

Lyra took the figurine, barely bigger than her horn, with her left forehoof. A small happy smile rose from her lips. “Thank you, Pantheon... The Artisan of War.” She then put it inside her saddlebags quickly, they shared a moment of silence before Lyra wrapped her forelegs around his exposed neck, hugging him as tightly as she could against her fur.

After a long minute of silence, Lyra finally let go. Pantheon got up and took up his spear from the floor with him. “Ready to go?”

Lyra only nodded.

----------------------------------------------------------************************************************

*Several hours later*

Both Pantheon and Lyra walked slowly and silently with Pantheon leading the way through the thick jungle. They had already left the Rift a few hours ago and were now walking on an invisible path that only the hulking machine of war seemed to know of. It had been a silent travel almost from the beginning because according to Pantheon’s instructions, while the monsters swarming the jungle were ‘calm’ they were still very dangerous if disturbed again. The reason why he stopped and readied his spear and shield for combat at every little sound or movement around them.

Lyra would have thought before her trip that his actions were very paranoid, maybe even crazy, but she clearly remembers her almost deadly encounter with the golem. And according to the stories Pantheon had told her that golem was just one of many of it's kind, worst of all, that golem was actually weak compared to other very strong and very deadly monsters lurking inside the jungle. Monsters that Pantheon was unable to take care of unless fully equipped. That thought alone sent a shiver up her spine.

Another hour of walking went by before Pantheon suddenly halted looking around a few times, signaling Lyra to move forward with a motion of his spear she obeyed and walking past him to discover a small road of dirt, its width enough for four ponies to walk without trouble, what really caught her eye though were the small patches of light at it sides.

“This road will lead you safely to the edge of, what you call it? The Everfree Forest? Try not to stray from it and be as silent as you can, I hope it will take you near your home. Your travel shall take several days, maybe weeks.”

“Don’t worry, as long as it leads me to the Everfree Forest I’ll be fine, I can manage from there.”

“Good,” Pantheon turned around. “Lyra, when you wish to return use this same path around this same time of the year, and if you want to bring a friend with you, do so, just be careful.”

Lyra turned around confused at his statement “B-but, I thought you said--”

“I know what I said, but a friend or two won’t hurt. Just as long as you are extremely careful.” Pantheon started to walk away from the path. “Until we meet again, Lyra.”

“Take care and thanks for everything, Pantheon,” Lyra said a bit louder than her usual speaking tone as she waved one of her hooves to him. Pantheon only raised his spear. For several minutes Lyra stood there first watching as her human friend disappeared between the thickness of the jungle and then as the sounds, he made moving past the obstacles halted. Lyra gave out a small content sigh and turned around, she took out the small figurine and looked at it, admiring the fine details and craftsmanship, she smiled and put the figurine back into her saddlebags.

“Well, better get moving, I have a few days of traveling ahead of me.”

---------------------------------------------------------************************************************

*Several days later, ruins of the Royal Pony Sisters Castle*

Lyra walked calmly past the ruins of the ancient castle, the last stand of the wretched Nightmare Moon and the liberation of Princess Luna. The sun had been raised just two or three hours earlier and she had finally reached the end of the path over the last night, she decided to rest there since no monster had attempted to attack her while she was on it, the path itself turned out to be quite tricky with many twists and turns and thinning out slowly but surely until she could barely fit in it.

The Everfree Forest was also very calm and quiet like it tended to be during the start of autumn, she began to hum and bounce every now and then towards the little town beyond the forest without a care in the world. She was content with herself.

Two hours later she arrived at Ponyville without much of a fuss, but as she made her way towards her home she noticed some ponies all around her were looking at her as if seeing a ghost, some others whispering between themselves and a few others were just looking at her in awe as their jaws hung open. She cared nothing for any of these. Soon she arrived at her home and knocked the door.

That is if this is still my home.” she thought seriously before the door opened revealing his best friend and dear roommate Bonbon with a look of disbelief and small tears falling from her eyes. “It’s good to know news still fly as fast as when I left!” Lyra joked, Bonbon raised a hoof and Lyra closed her eyes ready to get her just deserves, but instead she felt the warmth of a hug, she quickly hugged her friend back.

Both friends stood at the entrance of their home for several minutes, Lyra hugging her friend tightly as Bonbon cried and blurted out curses, thank you’s to Celestia, Luna, and even Discord, and many other noises Lyra couldn’t make anything from, but she knew her friend was very happy to see her again. Finally the hug softened and Bonbon pulled away to see the face of her dear friend.

“L-L-Lyra, wh-where were y-you?” Bonbon managed to ask.

Lyra smirked, “Bonny, you are NOT gonna believe me when I tell you!” Lyra gave out a small laugh as she walked inside the house holding Bonbon close to her “But first, I need a bath, food, something to drink, another bath and a nap, in that order. After that, story time.”

And with that, the door to their house closed.

-----------------------------------------------***********************************************

*Hours Later-Nightfall, Southeast Edge of the Everfree Forest*

A pair of yellow glowing eyes shined in the darkness of the forest, the eyes exploring its surroundings, curious, eager, hungry. A deep growl ripped through the silence of the night as heavy paws cracked the fallen branches on the ground. The yellow eyes closed smelling a familiar sweet intoxicating scent lingering in the air, mixed with foreign and delicious scents all over the area. Growling again the owner of said eyes let out a mighty howl before dozens upon dozens of glowing eyes of all sort of sizes, colors and shapes shined alongside it.

It was time to feast.


Chapter 4 End.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to all those who read this (and the rest) of my stories, you are all amazing!