• Published 1st Dec 2013
  • 622 Views, 23 Comments

Crimson Gambit - Brosparkles



A drought strikes Ponyville, leaving Sweet Apple Acres dry. Mac needs to provide for the family, and heads down south to Appaloosa.

  • ...
2
 23
 622

Chapter 1: Apples and Marigolds

“Are you sure you’re ready?”

“Yup. The train is gonna be here soon,”

Big Mcintosh stood at the entrance to Sweet Apple Acres, Granny Smith and his sisters beside him.

“You sure you can watch over the farm?” McIntosh said.

“There’s not a whole lot to do,with the drought and all. That’s why you’re leaving, remember?” Granny Smith said.

“Yup.” McIntosh said.

McIntosh’s younger sister Applejack approached him. She was a young filly, recently getting her cutie mark.

“I’m gonna miss ya,” Applejack said.

“It won't be long,” McIntosh said.

“Alright. But you’d better come back soon,” Applejack said.

“You’d better work hard while I’m gone.” Mcintosh said.

“Mac, there isn’t a whole lot of work for her to do anyway. Now, you’d better hurry, the train will be arriving any minute,” Granny Smith said.

The family waved him off, as he set down the road to Ponyville proper.

“Wait!” Applejack called out.

“Huh?” McIntosh said, stopping.

“Take this. To remember me by” Applejack said, giving him her hat.

“I’m not gonna be gone that long, sis. But thanks,” McIntosh said.

Mac plopped the hat onto his head, which was a bit too small for him, but managed to stay on. It was big on her anyway, so it worked out okay. McIntosh hadn’t left Ponyville in what seemed like years. The town was still mostly asleep, early in the morning. The sun was just beginning to rise. lighting the summer sky. Soon, however, the sun would be beating down viciously, baking the life out of the Ponyville soil. Mac packed light, bringing nothing but some bits, some notes, and his train ticket. He carried this in a small pack he carried on his side. The heat was already beating down on McIntosh, he hoped to get on the train before the sun rose any higher. The train station was directly ahead, the train not yet in the station. Mac sat on a nearby bench, and waited for the train. He opened his pack, and began to look over its contents. He looked at the ticket, both bored and somewhat anxious.

Equestria Rail

Ponyville-Appleloosa line.

Train 104

Still bored, he continued to flip through his notes.

Braeburn. Yellow, Light-brown mane. A little too friendly.

Mac hadn’t met Braeburn since they were foals, he was supposed to meet up with him at the Appleloosa station. Supposedly there was a lot of money to be made down south, where Braeburn was helping settle Appleloosa. He had hoped to make money out on the frontier, to help the family along during the drought. He could send it back in the mail, through the Pony Express service. A slight breeze began to pick up,blowing his mane to the side. The cooling breeze was much appreciated as he waited. He heard a loud screeching noise, and he looked up from his notes. The train was slowing down, he packed his things into his bag. The train stopped, and he, along with a few other ponies waiting at the stop, showed their tickets, boarding the train. Mac took his seat, looking out the window. A young orange mare, slightly older than him, sat beside Mac.

“You don’t mind me sitting next to you, do you?” the mare asked.

“Nope,” Mac said.

“So, where you headed?” The mare asked.

“Appleloosa,” Mac said.

“Never heard of Appleloosa. I'm headed to Los Pegasus, gonna catch a train across the San Palomino to get there. Name’s Marigold, how about yourself?” The mare said.

“McIntosh. But call me Mac. Why you catching a train across the San Palomino? Wouldn’t it be easier to go through Whitetail?” Mac said

“The rail line to Whitetail is under maintenance. Instead of waiting I decided to head out across the San Palomino,” Marigold said..

Mac looked her over, not seeing much of what she looked like until now. Her curly, fair hair, and a light blue hat. Her cutie mark was of a marigold flower, as he expected. Her orange fur was strangely alluring, he lingered on the color for a second. She seemed to do the same, and they met eyes as they both looked up.

“You know why it’s out?” Mac asked.

“Probably just regular maintenance. So what are you headed to this Appleloosa for?” Marigold asked.

“Business,” Mac said.

“You aren’t very talkative, are you?” Marigold asked.

“Nope,” Mac replied.

The train started up once more, Ponyville slowly sliding away from them. The train was surprisingly empty and quiet, just how Mac liked it. Steam spewed out of the front of the train, the train speeding off.

"Nice hat, by the way," Marigold said.

"It's my sister's," Mac said.

"It is a bit small for you. You leaving your family?" Marigold asked.

"Not for long." Mac said.

"So what business you got in Appleloosa?" Marigold asked.

"Drought's caused the farm to dry up. Family needs money," Mac said.

"You're a farmer?" Marigold asked.

"Yup," Mac replied.

A mare pushing a cart containing various snacks and drinks passed by.

"Can I get you anything?" the mare asked.

"Nope" Mac said.

"How about you ma'am?" the mare asked.

"Some cider would be lovely," Marigold said.

"Sweet Apple okay?" the mare asked.

"Yes, please," Marigold said.

The mare grabbed a jug of cider off of the cart, and a glass. She poured her some cider, and continued on her way.

"Ya know, our family makes that cider," Mac said.

"You work at Sweet Apple?" Marigold asked.

"I'm the owner. For now, anyway," Mac asked.

"For now?" Marigold asked.

"I'm not much for leadership. My sister's a bright one. She'd do better with it than me, once she gets a bit older," Mac said.

"How old is she?" Marigold asked.

"She's still a filly. I've got a younger sister, too, still a foal," Mac said.

"No siblings myself, but close cousins," Marigold said.

"So, Los Pegasus, huh?” Mac asked.

“Yeah. City of lights and all that. I’m heading down there for some pleasure,” Marigold said.

“Never been. I hear it’s the quickest way to lose your bits,” Mac said.

“And have a hell of a lot of fun doing it!” Marigold said.

“Maybe once we’re done with this drought business I’ll check it out,” Mac said.

“From what I hear it’s hard cider, gambling, and plenty of hot stallions and mares galore. Sorry you’ve got to miss out,” Marigold said.

“Family needs me,” Mac said.

“Oh, I’m sure. You certainly look reliable,” Marigold said.

The scenery outside the window began to change, this part of the rail cut through the Everfree for a while. The huge trees of the swampy forest blocked out the sun, it felt like they were going into a tunnel.

“So how long you riding this train for?” Marigold asked.

“All the way to Appleloosa. No switching,” Mac said.

So where is Appleloosa then? Must be close by if you can get there without a switch,” Marigold said

“East of Dodge Junction.” Mac said.

“Deep south, eh? Damn, you’re lucky to get a ticket like that. I’ve gotta wait for hours before my second train,” Marigold said.

Marigold took a big swig of cider, and continued talking.

“You know Mac, I like you. We should meet up sometime after this is all over. I live in Ponyville, in between town hall and the boutique,” Marigold said.

“Maybe. Don’t know when I’ll be back though,” Mac said.

“You’re just working during the drought, right? Can’t take you that long,” Marigold said.

“You sure are eager to see me again,” Mac said.

“Well, my stop is coming up soon, and I think you’re kinda cute. Can you blame me?” Marigold said.

“I suppose not,” Mac said.

Marigold seemed slightly disappointed by Mac’s answer, her smile dropping somewhat.

“Well, it looks like I should go. See you around, cowboy,” Marigold said, looking up to Applejack’s hat.

The train’s brakes activated, the momentum of the train carrying it forward for a while. The train pulled into the station ahead, and passengers started to stand up and leave. Marigold took a large swig of her cider, finishing the glass, and quickly left the train. Passengers began to board, but no one sat next to Mac. He was left with his thoughts for the rest of the ride, wishing he had brought something to read. Mac hadn’t heard much about the southern frontiers, other than that there was work available. Mac leaned against the train wall, looking out the window across from him. The train had reached Ghastly Gorge approaching a large iron bridge which spanned the chasm along it’s narrowest point. Colossal supports held the bridge with magnificent strength, perhaps more than was necessary. Mac had heard this bridge was in part made so large was that the pegasi workers from cloudsdale wanted to show off, using it a symbol of their industrial prowess, back when the factories were just starting up. The mare came by again, and picked up Marigold’s mug. Mac had a long ride ahead of him, the sun beaming in through the windows. Mac anxiously waited, the hours seeming like forever. Watching the endless stretch of plains, Mac allowed himself to slip off into his thoughts for a bit.

Some time later, with a stop in between Appleloosa and Dodge Junction, the sun now high in the sky, Mac noticed some apple trees, looking them over somewhat tiredly. Funny, that all this sitting around seemed to exhaust him more than a hard day’s work. The train slowed, the brakes screeching, as it pulled into the station. Mac stood up, stretching out his legs. He walked out of the train, along with the other passengers,where he was greeted with a refreshing breeze, albeit not a cool one. The breeze was just as hot, but the airflow kept him cool nonetheless. Mac could feel his skin being baked by the heat, but compared to Ponyville it was heaven. Here there would actually be water. Mac began looking around for Braeburn, not seeing him.

“Howdy cousin! Glad to see you made it here okay!” an overly-excited voice yelled to him.

A younger stallion, with long brown hair and yellow fur, came sprinting towards him.

“Yeah, thanks,” said Mac, overwhelmed by his energy.

“Come with me, I’ll show you around!” Braeburn said excitedly.

Before Mac could even open his mouth to respond, Braeburn had already hurried off into the town proper. Mac followed behind, at a much slower, relaxed pace. Appleloosa was bigger than he expected, for a frontier town. As much as he thought he didn’t need it, he was glad he had Applejack’s hat. It kept the sun off of him.

“So this here’s the town hall, where Sheriff Silverstar is, n’ over there is the post office. Figure you’ll be there often, writing home and such.” Braeburn said.

“Mostly just to send some money home.” Mac said.

“Well, you have to keep in contact with your friends and family, too!” Braeburn said.

“Maybe,” Mac said.

“The saloon is down that way, and over here is the best little bakery I’ve ever-” Braeburn said, before being interrupted.

“What are we doing down here?” Mac asked.

“Huh?” Braeburn said, confused.

“I’m here to work, not chat or tour. Where’s the farm?” Mac said.

“Hmph. Don’t you think you should have some fun? We can work later, just take a day off! I own the farm, it’s not like I’m gonna fire you or something!” Braeburn said.

“If I have to,” Mac said.

“That’s the spirit!” Braeburn said.

Braeburn enthusiastically ran ahead, Mac slowly following behind.

“So, I figure you’re hungry, and them bakers make these great bagels. Of course, apples are our little town’s main food, but I figure you've had plenty of those, eh?” Braeburn said.

Braeburn opened the door to Treats and Sweets, the bakery he had mentioned. The place was mostly empty, but a couple of ponies were eating at a table in the corner. The place seemed to be thriving however, being one of the few restaurants in the small town.

“Welcome!” The mare running the bakery exclaimed.

Mac walked in after him, the smell of fresh bread and coffee enticing him inside. It started to make Mac realise just how hungry he was.

“The regular, Brae?” The mare asked.

“Yep, but I got my cousin with me this time,” Braeburn said.

“And what would you like then?” She asked Mac.

He looked over the menu briefly, and made his order.

“Could I just get a bagel and cider?” Mac said.

“Yes sir!” she said, and began to prepare the food, along with an older stallion working in the back.

Braeburn took his seat, and beckoned to Mac to sit next to him.

“I figure you can start work tomorrow, I’ll have Dumpling show you the ropes, it shouldn’t be too much different from Sweet Apple. Now, enough about work, how’s the family?” Braeburn asked.

“They’re fine,” Mac said.

“I haven’t seen Applejack in years, how is she?” Braeburn asked.

“She’s alright,” Mac said.

“And the foal, Applebloom?” Braeburn asked.

“Fine,” Mac said.

Mac tapped his hooves on the table, disinterested in the conversation.

“I haven't seen Granny in what seems like ages, she doing okay?” Brae asked, forcing conversation once more.

“Other than some minor hip problems, she’s okay,” Mac said.

”I suppose it’s to be expected at her age,” Braeburn responded.

The mare brought a tray full of tea, muffins, cider and a bagel. The conversation fell silent, and once the food arrived, they ate in awkward silence. Braeburn covered the bill, and rose from his seat.

“Come on, let’s go to the farm. You’d probably like to see it, right?” Braeburn said.

Mac simply followed, as they headed down the road. The dust and heat were in full swing, soaking Mac in sweat. The farm was ahead, down a side road. Braeburn lead him into the house, out of the sun.

“Hiya! Name’s Dumpling.” A mare’s voice called out to him.

A light green mare with a short, messy red mane, and a freckle covered face approached him.

“This is Mac,” Braeburn said.

“Pleased to meet ya! So, you’re gonna be working here, eh? ” Dumpling said.

“Yup.” Mac said.

“Well come on in and have a seat! You must be exhausted from the heat!” Dumpling said.

Mac gladly accepted the offer, and sat down on a couch nearby. Looking around the room, the house was simple, but nice. He could get used to this.

“Been quite a while since we’ve had such a big, strong stallion like yourself. You’ll be more than welcome,” Dumpling said.

“Except for myself, of course,” Braeburn said.

“I said big and strong, scrawny.” Dumpling said, laughing.

“Humph. We’ll see,” Braeburn said.

“Well, I can show you to your room if your want, so you can unpack your things,” Dumpling said.

“I didn’t bring much, but I guess I can put my pack away,” Mac said.

She gestured him upstairs, into a small,simplistic room. The room looked like it had been empty for years.

“Well, make yourself at home. I’m sure Brae will have something for you soon,” Dumpling said, heading back downstairs.

Mac put his pack down on the bed, and opened it up. He took his hat off, and put it on top of the dresser. He emptied the pack onto the bed, and noticed a strange, torn piece of paper inside. He unfolded it, and read.

The Gambit

Room 104

See ya there, Cowboy.

“Hmph, she really thinks I’d go all that way...” Mac mumbled.

“All what way?” Braeburn said, overhearing his mumbling as he was coming upstairs.

“It’s nothing.” Mac said.

“We both know it isn’t nothing, now tell me!” Braeburn said playfully.

“Seriously, don’t worry about it.” Mac said.

“You’re just making me more interested!” Braeburn said.

“If you must know, I met a mare on the train here, she left a note in my bag,” Mac said.

“Ooh! And what did it say?” Braeburn said.

“Just a hotel number. The Gambit, Los Pegasus” Mac said.

“Mac, I didn’t realize you met her like that.” Braeburn said, half-jokingly.

“Shuddup. It’s not like that. We barely even talked.” Mac said.

“No mare just gives a casual invite to a hotel room in Los Pegasus,” Braeburn said.

“And what do you know about mares?” Mac said.

“More than you, from the sound of things. So are you gonna go?” Braeburn asked.

“Maybe,” Mac said.

“So yes?” Braeburn said.

“I said maybe,” Mac said

“There’s no maybe when it comes to mares. Either you love her or you don’t,” Braeburn said.

“Love? We just met today,” Mac said.

“Haven’t you ever heard of love at first sight?” Braeburn said.

“Heard, yes,” Mac said.

“I think you should go.” Braeburn said.

“I’m here to work, not to run off with some random mare.” Mac said.

“Well, work the rest of the week if you want, but you’ve got some time off on the weekends. Cobbler works your position then,” Braeburn said.

“I guess it would be rude to turn her down,” Mac said.

“Not even away foraday and you’re already got a lady,” Braeburn said.

“It isn’t like that.” Mac said.

“Of course it isn’t,” Braeburn said, with a slight wink.

Mac just sighed, and put the rest of his belongings away.

“Now let’s go see the trees, shall we?” Braeburn said.

“Yeah.” Mac said.

Mac followed Braeburn downstairs and outside. A sea of apples seemed to stretch on for miles. Pony powered cider pressing machinery was sitting in front of them, and large crates for apples were being filled by the other workers outside.

“Nice,” Mac said.

“Not quite as big as Sweet Apple, but still plenty of work to be done. We’ll probably start you off on bucking. It’ll probably take some time to get you used to it, but It isn’t too hard. Watch this.” Braeburn said.

Braeburn charged up to a tree and bucked it with all his might. The tree shook, and a small pile of apples fell off. Several apples still remained on the tree, and he kicked again, knocking them off.

“Impressed?” Braeburn asked.

Mac slowly walked towards a tree, and turned his back to it, Braeburn stifling a laugh at his form. Mac gave the tree a swift kick, and it shook violently. Every last apple fell, and only a few leaves. Braeburn’s mouth was agape, in awe of his bucking. He quickly got his composure back, however.

“I guess that’s why Sweet Apple has so few workers. Still, you’ve got a while to go,” Braeburn said.

The two of them continued the tour, until the sun began to lower. Braeburn showed Mac where the tools are kept, and where to put the bucked apples. He began to explain their system next.

“So, as a bucker, you’ll be paired with a collector. That’s how you run it at Sweet Apple too, right?” Braeburn asked.

“Yup.” Mac said.

“Lucky for you, Red volunteered to work with you,” Braeburn said.

“Red?” Mac asked.

“She’s over there, packing up the last crate for today.” Braeburn said.

Mac looked over, and saw a young mare, with pink fur, and a green mane.

“Dinnertime!” Dumpling yelled, ringing a bell.

“Ah, well, looks like you’ll have to talk to her some other time.” Braeburn said.

Everypony headed into the house, and headed into the dining room. A gigantic spread was laid out, which made Mac’s mouth water.

“Dig in!” Dumpling said.

Everypony sat down and began to eat. All sorts of vegetable dishes were set out, along with some fruits. Everypony was given some bread, and the dishes were passed around. Some sweets finished the dinner, and everypony was full. Mac volunteered to help clean up, but Dumpling insisted, especially since he was new. Mac felt strangely tired after eating, and decided to head to sleep. Must just be exhausted from all the change, he figured. By tommorow things would be more normal. He fell asleep quickly, long before anyone else.