• Published 24th Feb 2012
  • 1,133 Views, 2 Comments

Discord Rising: The Order of Chaos - sverd abr sundav



when Discord breaks loose again, Celestia finds him not so easy to defeat

  • ...
1
 2
 1,133

Canterlot Lessons

There was a gentle knocking at the door. “Miss Sparkle, breakfast will be starting shortly in the dining hall,” explained a young mare’s voice through the door to Twilight’s room.

“I’ll be there soon. Just let me get ready for the day,” Twilight’s still sleepy voice called back, not unkindly.

“Yes Miss,” the mare responded, and Twilight could hear her walking away down the hall.

Twilight looked at her clock to see that it was eight in the morning, and she clambered out of bed. Celestia had appeared in ponyville the day before to bring her and Rainbow Dash to Canterlot. Celestia had said that she wished to resume
teaching Twilight, and that Rainbow Dash had been offered a position in the Wonderbolts. Rainbow Dash was, of course, excited, but Twilight was less so. She didn’t want to leave her friends in Ponyville, but the princess called, and despite missing her friends, Twilight was excited for the prospect of new lessons with the Princess.

Twilight looked out of her window to see a beautiful sunny day. What a great day to start magic lessons! she thought with a smile on her face. She looked around her new room to see the many piles of books that had yet to be placed on the many shelves lining the walls. Spike was still fast asleep, so she wrote a note and left it next to his bed in order to tell him to pick up the various tomes. Leaving the room, she made her way to the dining hall, and upon arrival, she was surprised to see Rainbow Dash was already up, despite the early hour, with a big grin of anticipation on her face.

“Can you believe it Twilight? I’m gonna be a Wonderbolt! This is so AWESOME!”
Rainbow Dash said from her place at the table.

Twilight smiled as well. “Congratulations. Again.” Twilight already heard her say nearly the same thing the entire way to Canterlot the previous day.

“Good morning Rainbow Dash, Twilight,” Celestia’s voice called from the other side of the dining hall.

The two mares turned to look at the princess in surprise, as they didn’t notice her enter the room.

“Oh, good morning, Princess,” Twilight scrambled to say.

“Did you both sleep well?” Celestia asked warmly.

“Yeah, I slept great. Thanks for giving me a room in one of the towers. I had a great warm-up flight this morning,” Rainbow Dash said gratefully.

“It was no trouble. I thought the Wonderbolts’ new recruit might want open access to the skies,” Celestia responded, smiling.

“I slept great as well. Thank you for the extra shelf space. I think Spike will be busy all afternoon organizing my books,” Twilight said somewhat sheepishly. Celestia sat down at the table, and Twilight joined Rainbow Dash. Several ponies in fancy vests came through a large, ornate door in the back of the room that must have led to the kitchens. Setting bowls of oats and fruit on the table, the three mares began to eat. They sat in silence, Rainbow Dash shoveling down her food, Twilight taking slow, leisurely bites and Celestia, as always, was eating as if she was at the finest banquet in the world. Once they finished their meal, Celestia spoke, “ Rainbow Dash, You will be starting your training with the Wonderbolts in one hour. They have been informed, and will be waiting for you at the Canterlot race track.”

“Awesome!” Twilight gave Rainbow Dash a stern look, “ I mean, err, thank you very much, Princess,” she corrected herself.

Celestia released a small laugh at their exchange. “I hope you enjoy yourself.”

“Oh I’m sure I will,” Rainbow Dash said certainly. “I’d better go get ready!” She sped off towards her room without another word.

“When will we begin, Princess?” Twilight asked eagerly.

“Meet me in the courtyard in thirty minutes. I have several lessons planned for you,” Celestia said, but she was missing her usual smile.

Twilight was so excited, she didn’t even notice Celestia’s missing expression. “Should I bring anything? Any books or scrolls?”

“No, you needn’t. We will be discussing topics that I am sure are in none of your books,” she responded cryptically.

“Oh, wonderful! I should go prepare. Excuse me.” Twilight walked back to her room.

Celestia smiled sadly at Twilight’s enthusiasm and thought, I’m so sorry, Twilight.

“Spike! Spike! Guess what! I’m starting my training in half an hour!” She looked at the clock on her wall. “Twenty-six minutes!” She exclaimed as she entered her room.

“Huh? Oh, tha’s great.” Spike muttered sleepily, having been woken up by Twilight’s excited vocalization.

“She said I didn’t have to bring any books, but should I bring something else? What should I do to prepare? Oh dear. I want my first lesson with Celestia to go well. What do I do?!” Twilight was nervously walking back and forth in her room and hadn’t even stopped to take a breath, let alone allow Spike to answer.

Spike watched her pacing, his own head pivoting with her movement. “Twilight, it isn’t your first lesson. You had dozens with her before you moved to Ponyville. Just relax. You’ll do fine!”

She stopped pacing and said, “but it’s my first lesson with her in a long time. What if I’ve gotten worse, or I can’t do the things she wants to teach me?” She was quite clearly nervous.

“Twilight, you’ve always been amazing at magic and always will be. Why do you think Celestia took you on as a student in the first place? Just go to the lesson, do your best and you’ll do great.”

She took a deep breath, and her whole body became less tense. “Thank you, Spike. You always have been the world’s best assistant.”

“Always have been, always will be,” Spike said with an affected little nod while he grinned.

Giggling softly, Twilight looked back at the clock. “I’ve still got twenty minutes before my lesson starts. What should I do?”

“How about you read a book?” Spike said jokingly.

“Oh, of course! I’ve been meaning to catch up on astronomy,” Twilight said, failing to catch Spike’s tone. He rolled his eyes but unpacked a book about different galaxies and handed it to her. She opened it at the marked page and began to read.

Before too long, Spike’s voice took her out of the universe in the pages. “You might want to get going. You have five minutes to get to your lesson.”

“Five minutes? I’ve gotta go!” She dashed out the door and ran down the hall towards the courtyard, galloping at full tilt. Don’t be late, I can’t be tardy for my first lesson! Finally, she sped around the last bend and exited out of the glass doors to the large, circular courtyard. Its ground was a series of alternating concentric circles made of granite and grasses. The granite had intricate symbols and designs carved into it, and an aura of power seemed to emanate from the beautiful decoration. The very edge of the courtyard was composed of carefully maintained blueberry bushes, each delicately trimmed in such a way that they created a wave-like pattern around the courtyard. In the central stone ring stood Celestia, waiting serenely as though time didn’t matter to her, which may very well have been the case.

As Twilight Sparkle ran through the courtyard doors, she worriedly said, panting while she did so, “I’m sorry if I’m late, Princess. I was reading, and got caught up in it, and-”

“Relax, my most faithful student; you are exactly on time,” Celestia responded kindly.

“Oh,” Twilight said, embarrassed, “good.”

“Shall we begin?” asked Celestia.” Twilight looked as if she had a question she was holding back. “What is it, Twilight?”

“Well, I don’t want to sound ungrateful or anything, but... well,” she paused and bit her lip, “why did you bring me back to Canterlot?” She said the last few words in a rush as if to pull off a bandage. “I know you want to keep teaching me; it’s just, well, I thought I could live in Ponyville.”

Celestia understood, she never wanted to take her back. “Twilight, I’m not going to keep you here forever. I didn’t mean for you to think that, but troubling stories have been spreading through Equestria.”

“What do you mean?” asked Twilight, confused.

Celestia sighed softly as if relinquishing something and said, “Did you hear any rumors while you were in Ponyville about Luna and I?” Celestia wore a sad smile.

“Well, I heard some, but I thought they were just silly gossip. Like when the girls said you had a cake eating problem.”

“What?”

“Oh, uh, nothing.”

Celestia continued, “Those rumors aren’t just gossip, or rather they are, but on a large and troubling scale. I’m not sure how many believe them, but nevertheless, false rumors of our tyrannical ways have spread like parasprites throughout Equestria.”

Twilight looked quite clearly concerned, “But, who could be spreading lies like that? You’ve always been good leaders!”

“I have not been able to find a source. It’s as if the wind itself were whispering lies. I suspect someone is trying to put Equestria in a state of concern. It seems that the gryphons somewhat fragile trust in us is already fracturing.”

“Why would someone do such things?”

Celestia paused briefly before answering. “I don’t know, Twilight. I only have suspicions.”

Twilight realized Celestia was not going to say more and so asked, “Why do you need me?” She was not accusing, but curious.

“Because you are the element of magic, and I need to teach you a new branch of spells I have kept you away from until now.”

Twilight seemed hesitant to ask. “What do you mean?”

“Combat magic,” Celestia stated simply. It was a fact, not an answer, as if the very word were a presence among them that needed to be treated with care.”

“What do you mean? I’ve never seen it mentioned in any of my books before.”

Celestia smiled wryly, “You wouldn’t. The only place where tomes on that subject are stored is the hidden wing of the Canterlot Archives, which even I rarely enter.”

Twilight didn’t ask about the hidden wing. If Celestia hadn’t shown it to her, there was good reason. “What is combat magic?”

“It is known as destruction magic and that is perhaps the best description to be given. It is a form of magic that Discord invented many years ago in order to take control of Equestria, but he did not create it well and was unable to keep others from using it.” Twilight expression was slightly worried at these words, but she just continued to listen. “The best description I can give is an example.” Celestia’s horn glowed briefly, and a target with a bright red bullseye appeared next to her. Her expression didn’t change, but once again her horn glowed and a bolt of golden fire shot out of her horn towards the target and upon contact it burst into beautiful, destructive flames. Her horn glowed for a third time and both flames and target vanished. “That is what combat magic is: a branch of spells fueled and controlled by a want to destroy.”

“But why are you teaching me this? It seems terrible.” Twilight said, horrified by the idea.

Celestia smiled warmly, but her sadness was clear. “Because these rumors suggest that someone is trying to undermine Luna and I which means trouble is brewing. If something happens, Equestria will need defending, and we will all need you.”

Twilight swallowed as if to rid an unsavory taste, “I don’t want to hurt anypony. I don’t want to hurt anything.” She said, nearly crying.

“Nor do I, my most faithful student, nor do I.” The two mares - one old and wise and the other young and innocent - sat next to each other, and Celestia wrapped a wing around Twilight. The gesture did not go unnoticed, as Twilight calmed a bit. Celestia looked down to the young mare and said, “I would not ask to teach you this if I didn’t have to. I never wanted you to bear any such burden.”

Twilight sniffed, and said sincerely, “I know you wouldn’t, Princess.”

Celestia smiled gratefully, and said softly, “We should begin.”

“Okay.” Twilight said, seeming to harden her resolve. Despite herself, she was still excited to learn something new. “How do I begin?”

“As you know, magic comes from different emotions. Curiosity, love, hate, courage, and fear can all be drives for magic. Combat magic is different. The other emotions are all factors in deciding what the spell does, but combat magic is fueled by a need to eliminate an enemy. It can be governed by courage, fear, love, and every other emotion, but the essential fuel comes from the need to eliminate something.”

“But Celestia, how can love have any control over magic like this?” Twilight asked, genuinely curious what part the emotion could play.

Celestia smiled. She was delighted to have Twilight ask about such a topic. “You would protect your friends, and in order to use combat magic to defend them, you need to love them. I’ve seen ponies use it without intending to when they saw family members in danger.” Twilight understood, and didn’t ask about it further. “In order to begin,” Celestia paused to summon another target, “I want you to summon a fire.” Twilight did in short time. “Now, concentrate on the target burning. I don’t want you to burn it for warmth, think only of it disintegrating.” Celestia sounded almost displeased by the words, but the tone was so subtle it might not have been there.

Twilight took a deep breath, and focused on the glowing orb of purple fire in front of her. She strained with concentration, but nothing changed. She grew progressively more annoyed until, finally, it shot forward in a bolt, but upon making contact, it dispersed. The target remained intact.

Celestia said encouragingly, “It’s alright, just try again.”

Twilight once again summoned a ball of flames in front of her glowing horn, but this time she looked even more determined. It took less time for the fire to fly forward, and when it hit the target, it didn’t disappear immediately. The flames went out after a few seconds, but left the target in a state that didn’t look burned, but did look a bit less substantial.

Celestia simply said, ever the great teacher, “Very good. Keep trying.” But she thought privately to herself, She didn’t even burn the target, she made it partially disappear.

Twilight continued practicing, ever improving, and the target became steadily less and less substantial. She was encouraged on by Celestia’s words, but eventually the elder mare said, “I think we’ll end the lesson here. You’ve done excellently.”

Twilight looked surprised, “But I haven’t even done it yet.”

Celestia smiled, proud of her student, “You’ve done very well. You need time to rest or else you’ll tire yourself out.” Twilight frowned ever wanting to master new skills but accepted Celestia’s words without question. Celestia gained a happy smile, “Luna has requested to begin your lesson with her at six.”

I’m going to have magic lessons with Luna too?” She forgot her frustration and sadness instantly and had a huge smile on her face. “What is she going to teach me?” Twilight said very curiously.

“I can not truly say I know. I suspect I have an idea, but it’s best you wait for her to explain it. Be proud, Twilight. You are the first she has ever chosen to teach. Not even Starswirl the Bearded learned from her.”

“Really? I’m her first student?” Twilight’s eyes widened in awe.

Celestia smiled, nearly laughing, “Yes and do go easy on her. She might take some time to become used to teaching.”

Twilight giggled. “I’ll be patient with her. How has she been adjusting?”

“Very well. She’s been learning to talk in the current way, and seems to have mastered it. Though she still speaks with the old royal Canterlot voice whens she is overly excited,” Celestia said with a laugh.

“That’s great.” Twilight said happily. I can’t wait for my lesson.

Celestia smiled and gave a short nod. “ I hope it goes well. Now, I must go perform my royal, and perhaps unjoyful, duties. You may go watch the Wonderbolts train if you wish. They won’t mind.”

“Oh that would be wonderful! I wonder how Rainbow Dash is doing.”

Celestia walked back into the palace towards the throne room. Twilight made her way towards the Canterlot race track, which wasn’t a long walk. She saw the Wonderbolts before she saw the track, weaving, twisting, spinning and speeding through the air. Spitfire was clearly giving Rainbow Dash drills. Performing complex spins, loopty-loops and dives, she was an impressive sight to watch. Twilight observed for nearly half an hour - amazed by the Wonderbolts skill in the air - before anyone noticed her.

Spitfire flew down, Rainbow Dash in tow. “Hey... Twilight, right?”

“Yes. And you’re Spitfire! You guys are amazing!” Twilight said, quite sincerely.

“Aren’t they?” Rainbow Dash chipped in.

“You aren’t half bad yourself there, Dash.” Spitfire said, and Rainbow Dash looked pleased and embarrassed at the same time. “So, what brings you over to the track?”

“I have some free time between lessons, and I thought I’d see how Rainbow Dash is doing.”

“I’m doing great, for your information.” the blue pony said proudly.

“Your friend here’s pretty good. With a bit of training, she might end up as good as me.” Spitfire said, almost as a challenge.

“Hah, I’d like to see you pull off a sonic rainboom.” It seemed Rainbow Dash was comfortable around her new teacher.

“Hey, that was an impressive piece you did, I’ll give you that,” Spitfire acknowledged.

“Well I don’t want to be any trouble, I just came to watch,” Twilight said politely.

“Don’t worry about it; it’s time we took a break anyway, we’ve been flying for a while.” Spitfire signaled for the other Wonderbolts, still in the air, to come down to the stands where Twilight was. There were only two others out that day. “Hey, Soarin, this is Twilight.”

“Nice to meet you,” Soarin said, quietly.

“Likewise.”

“And this is Ginger.” Spitfire gestured with a wing to a pale-yellow pegasus with a short chestnut mane.

The mare nodded politely, but didn’t seem to have her heart in it. Spitfire gave her a glare, but she just shrugged with her wings.

Twilight didn’t seem to notice the exchange, as she said “It’s wonderful to meet all of you. I grew up watching the Wonderbolts from the Palace, but I think that the current team might be the best I’ve seen.”

Ginger spoke up then, “You talk like we’re some sort of entertainers. We’re the elite flyers of Equestria. The races are just to keep everypony happy knowing we’re still around. Really, we’re more like guardians of the sky, so don’t make us out to be some sort of sport team.” She had a distinctly gruff and annoyed voice when she said this.

“Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to cause offense.” Twilight said, taken aback.

She just rolled her eyes, as if to say, why did I even bother explaining it?

Spitfire was distinctly frustrated with Ginger’s attitude and said, “Hey, she didn’t mean any offense, so chill out! Go give me fifty flash dives for that!”

Ginger looked like she wanted to protest, but she just flew back into the sky and began to fly up and drop over and over again.

“Sorry about that. She just joined a few weeks ago. She’s a really good flyer, but her attitude needs some work. Not like my class-A mare here.” Spitfire gestured to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash grinned happily. “I look pretty sweet in my Wonderbolts uniform, huh Twilight?”

“You sure do, Rainbow.” Despite the many things Celestia’s lesson had cast into her mind, Twilight was still happy for her friend.

“Okay, Dash, enough break time. Go give me fifty wing-ups.”

“Yes, ma’am!” Rainbow Dash said with a salute and a grin.

“I told you, call me captain.” she said, clearly having been improperly addressed before that day.

“Yes, captain.” grinning, she walked off to begin her drill.

“That mare has spirit.”

“You could certainly say that.” Twilight said in a you have no idea sort of way.

“She reminds me of myself a few years ago. Certainly has my sense of humor. I used to do the same thing to my captain when I first became a Wonderbolt.” She turned away for a moment to call out to Ginger. “Hey, you can put more fall into that dive. I want you below the track before you start flying back up!” Spitfire didn’t have any anger in her tone, but she was clearly a good leader. You could hear the authority in her voice.

“Rainbow Dash has wanted to join the Wonderbolts since she was a filly. It’s so wonderful to finally see her dreams come true for her.” Twilight said gratefully to Spitfire.

“Well, she’s a great flyer as far as I can tell. We actually considered letting her join back when she did her sonic rainboom, but, to be honest, while she has a lot of raw talent, she needs some work on finesse.”

“I met Rainbow Dash over a year ago. She’s headstrong, brave, and loyal, but she’s never been a very patient pony.” Twilight said honestly.

“That doesn’t surprise me. Most ponies with a lot of talent never seem to have the patience to learn. I’ll have her whipped into shape before too long.”

“I’m sure you will.” Twilight laughed a little. “I don’t think I’ve seen a better leader before. Aside from Princess Celestia, of course.”

“You must never have seen the old Wonderbolts captain then. He was one tough colt. Without him, I’d never have shaped up,” the orange mare said this as if remembering fond times.

“Oh, I remember Thunder Bolt! I used to come watch his races when I was younger.”

“Huh. You don’t strike me as a flying fan.”

Sheepishly, Twilight said, “Well, to be honest, I’m not. Princess Celestia always used to encourage me to get away from my books every once in awhile. I always enjoyed the races and shows when I saw them, though.”

Spitfire laughed a bit, “Bit of a bookworm, huh?”

“You could say that.” Twilight said with a large smile, “Ever since I learned how to read, I’ve hardly done anything else.”

“It’s funny. I was pretty much the opposite. As soon as I could fly, my parents could never get me to do any of my homework. I’d been wanting to join the Wonderbolts as much as Rainbow Dash and finally got accepted. I’ve been a Wonderbolt for fourteen years next month. ‘’

“Wow, how long have you been captain, then?”

“about five and a half years now, ever since Thunder retired. I was downright surprised when he said he wanted me to be the captain.”

Soarin had remained quiet throughout the two mares’ exchange, but he spoke up then. “It wasn’t a surprise to the rest of us. You’ve always been the best leader, and maybe even the best flyer. Hard to say, since we keep tying with each other.”

Spitfire smiled. “Don’t worry, I’ll beat you next time.” Soarin smiled back, but didn’t speak again. “Well, as much as I’ve enjoyed chatting, we should really get back to practice. Feel free to stay and watch if you like.”

“I think I will, thanks. It’s been great meeting you.”

“And you.” Spitfire flew off at that. Soarin nodded to Twilight and took off as well.

Twilight continued to watch the Wonderbolts practicing for another hour or so before returning to the palace. Her walk back was uneventful, and before long she had arrived inside her room to see Spike organizing her many books.

“Hey, Twilight. How’d your lesson go?”

She hesitated for a moment, “Celestia is teaching me a completely new type of magic, and I just can’t quite seem to get the hang of it.”

“Well it was only your first lesson after all. Even you can’t expect to be perfect at everything.”

She changed the subject instead of discussing what was really troubling her. “I went to see Rainbow Dash at practice.”

“How’s that going?”

“She’s doing pretty well, and Spitfire seems to like her. I haven’t seen her so happy since she performed the sonic rainboom at the flying competition last year. She’s gotta be the happiest pony in the world right now.”

“No, that’s Pinkie,” Spike said, grinning.

Twilight smiled. “I’m gonna miss her and the rest.”

“Don’t worry. It’s not like we’ll never see them again.”

“Yeah, I know.”

There was a comfortable pause between the two, and then Spike said, “Would you like to read anything? I’ve been arranging your books since I got up, so I can find something for you.”

“Haven’t you eaten?”

“Not yet. It’s alright though.” this statement was rather contradicted by a loud growl emanating from his stomach.

“Go get something to eat, Mister Assistant.”

“Well, if you insist, what are you going to do?”

“You know, I haven’t had the chance to really wander around Canterlot in ages. I think I might do just that.”

The two left the room and Spike said, “Have fun!”

“I’m sure I will.” They went in opposite directions. The Palace was at the very edge of Canterlot, but not raised above the city, so that the Princesses could observe and protect, but never seem to look down upon the citizens. This led to the castle not being very hard to enter or leave, so Twilight was out and about the city in just a few minutes. Canterlot was as old as the princesses themselves. Nopony was entirely certain how old that was, but everypony knew that the city was the symbol of the princesses’ rule, and how they brought Equestria to peace.

Twilight enjoyed revisiting her favourite places in the beautiful city. From the waterfall to the bank - a beautiful, pristine building with large stone pillars marking the front - she wandered Canterlot. She savoured the opportunity to visit her memories of her childhood home. She had visited since moving to Ponyville, but always with a specific purpose. She hadn’t the opportunity to wander the city by herself for over a year, so she just walked around, visiting her favourite book store, and getting something to eat at the teashop. It was late afternoon, and Twilight began to make her way back. The purple mare decided to walk through the gardens behind the palace. She passed by the maze, but quite purposefully ignored it. After Discord’s escape, she was still uneasy about it. Walking past the many flowers and trees, she reached the various statues. Discord had been moved from Ponyville to the gardens after being turned to stone, and she approached his statue. It was tall and angry, just as Discord had been at realizing his defeat, but something seemed somehow wrong. She couldn’t put her finger on what, but somehow not all was how it should have been. Circling around him, she studied every detail of the statue, and she noticed a crack - only a few inches in length - running down the back of his head. Twilight shivered, despite the warm air around her.

“Hey, Twilight!” Rainbow Dash’s voice called from the sky.

Twilight’s attention snapped away from the statue, “Oh, hi, Rainbow Dash.”

The blue mare landed next to Twilight, blowing dust everywhere with her wings, and said, “Man, Spitfire is awesome.”

“I take it practice went well then?”

“Apart from Ginger, it was awesome!”

“She did seem a bit... abrasive.” Twilight said tactfully.

“Abrasive doesn’t even describe it. When we were doing lap times to see how fast we could go around the track, Ginger was distracting me the whole time on purpose. Can you believe it?”

“What did Spitfire do?”

“She gave her a bunch of wingups, but still!”

“Oh well, hopefully she’ll get better with time.”

“Unlikely,” Rainbow Dash said with a snort. “Hey what time’s dinner? I’m starving.”

“I think it’s supposed to be at seven thirty, but you can probably go ask for something from the kitchens.”

“I think I will.”

Rainbow Dash flew off towards the palace and Twilight called to her, “Be polite.” Twilight continued walking through the gardens, forgetting about Discord as if she was supposed to. It grew late and she walked towards the courtyard, determined to be early for her lesson with Luna.

Twilight arrived in the courtyard ten minutes before six, but Luna was already there. “Greetings, Twilight.”

The purple mare bowed slightly and said, “Hello, Princess.”

“You needn’t bow to me. You helped me regain my subjects respect in Ponyville. For that, I shall be ever grateful. Now, I am sure you are wondering what I intend to teach you.”

“Yes!” Twilight said excitedly. “Celestia didn’t say.”

Luna seemed to smile at Twilight’s words, “That is because she doesn’t truly know. You see, I intend to teach you night magic. No one has ever learned it before because It is a branch of magic that I invented. Celestia and I are the ponies of the sun and the moon and we each have our own magic. I have decided to teach you what I am capable of.”

“If Celestia can’t perform night magic, how did she raise the moon while,” Twilight paused to think of the best wording, “you were away.”

Luna didn’t seem to take offense, “She did not. While I was imprisoned as nightmare moon, I still maintained my duty. While I was her, it was for the purpose of ensuring she never had day without night, but, nevertheless, I raised the moon.”

Twilight seemed to understand. “Well, then what is night magic?”

“The night is the space that allows for a new day. It is the time before new light and that is the basis of night magic. It is the idea of change through rebirth.” Luna’s horn glowed and suddenly she wasn’t Luna. In her place was a dark blue cloud floating in the air. With a flash of blue light, the cloud changed back into Luna.

“That was amazing!” said Twilight.

“Thank you. The first spell I shall teach you is more complex, but simpler to execute.” Luna’s horn glowed blue once again, and the grass in the courtyard withered. The soil seemed to grow richer as it happened. Small green shoots sprouted out of the ground and suddenly in the place of the grass was row upon row of beautiful black lilies. Twilight was in awe and Luna spoke, “I want you to begin by trying to turn the lilies back into soil. Think of the space in between growth, and imagine something in the flowers place.”

Twilight nodded, and wore a very determined look on her face. The flowers began to grow colorless and the soil slowly looked richer. After several minutes, the flowers fell apart and small shoots seemed to pop out of the ground. Nothing happened for minutes on end, and Twilight finally said, “Princess, am I doing something wrong?”

“Just keep trying. You will be able to do it.”

Twilight continued and eventually, small blue flowers rose up. They weren’t as neatly grown as Luna’s but the princess looked impressed regardless. “Very good. Now try again.” Twilight did, and soon she rose grass into the courtyard again, much faster than she had risen the flowers. “Well done. You are a very talented unicorn, Twilight.”


Twilight looked embarrassed and said, “You explained it very well.”

“Thank you, though I am not entirely certain of that being true,” Luna said with a slight smile.

“So, what next, Princess?” Twilight asked eagerly.

“Not just yet. I want you to keep practicing this.” Twilight did and after the fifth time, Luna said, “That will do. To be honest you learned this much faster than I expected. I do not have any more planned for the lesson.”

Twilight smiled, somewhat pleased with her progress, “That’s alright. I’m pretty tired anyway.”

“I’m sure you are. New magic can be exhausting, and what my sister discussed with you must have been distressing. I’m sorry to say it’s true.”

“I just hope everypony realizes how ridiculous it is that you two would have done anything wrong.”

Luna smiled sadly, “My sister has committed no crime, but I don’t believe I can claim the same.”

Twilight realized what she meant, “You didn’t do anything wrong. It was Nightmare Moon, and we changed you back using the elements of harmony. You aren’t her.”

“Thank you, Twilight.” Luna said gratefully. “Now, I believe dinner shall begin soon, shall we make our way to the dining hall?”

“Yes, that would be wonderful,” Twilight said.

The two ponies made their way to the great table and arrived just as Celestia did. “Hello. How did your lesson go?” she asked the Two mares.

“Quite well, Sister.” And with a bit of a facetious grin Luna said, “She managed to master the spell I tried to teach you.”

Celestia smiled, glad to see Luna was enjoying herself. “Well, she is a better mare than I.”

Twilight said with a laugh, “I don’t think you can say that until I learn how to raise the sun.”

The Three sat comfortably silent, and Rainbow Dash entered the room. “Hey, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna.”

“Greetings, Miss Dash.” Luna said politely.

“Hello, Rainbow,” Celestia said, in her usual warm manner.

“Didn’t you eat earlier?” Twilight asked curiously.

“Yeah, but that was awhile ago.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, and Spike arrived. He sat next to Twilight at the table. “Hey, Twilight, I take it your lesson went well?” Spike said, noticing Twilight’s obvious happiness.

“Oh, yes. Luna is a great teacher!”

The food came out shortly, and all of the ponies ate and talked to their heart’s content. Luna was mostly quiet, but Celestia contributed to the conversation often enough. After they had finished eating, Celestia and Luna left first to attend to their various regal duties, and then Rainbow insisted that she had to hit the hay. Twilight returned to her room with Spike, and soon he was fast asleep in his bed. She crept onto hers and laid her head on the pillow. “Good night, Spike.” she said softly, and with that, she fell asleep.