• Published 22nd Aug 2013
  • 4,174 Views, 132 Comments

The Monsters She Lost - Lost Deep



A Pokemon trainer winds up in Equestria, and is turned into a Pony. Now she has to find her way home... and minimize the damage caused by her unruly and powerful team of Pokemon!

  • ...
3
 132
 4,174

Bug Buzz

Liz was woken up by the sun, but her reaction was to roll over and cover her face with her pillow. The sun was always the most reliable way to get her up. She hated it every morning, but it was reliable.

“Hello, Liz,” Said a voice. Not one she recognized. She peeked out from under the pillow… to see a little purple and green lizard thing. What Pokémon is that? “Are you okay?” it asked. Talking? Why would a Pokémon-

Liz threw off her sheets to look at herself. Hooves, tail, mane! Yesterday put itself together in her head. She made a noise half-way between a moan and a whimper, and rolled off the side of the bed.

Spike ran around the bed to her. “Uh, are you okay?”

“Coffee,” Liz said simply, “Please… coffee.”

“Oh, sure, I’ll go make some,” Spike said. He ran to do that while Liz put the sheets back on the bed and then walked down the stairs carefully. She went into the kitchen area, and sat down at the table. “Sugar or cream?” Spike asked.

“Black,” Liz answered, “The first cup of my morning is always black.”

“Oh.” Spike said. “You need coffee, huh?”

“Yeah… started in the habit in school. Have never gotten around to kicking it.” Liz didn’t say much beyond that. She just waited patiently for her coffee, and thanked Spike graciously when she got it.

She was upset, that was clear. Waking up in an unusual place, in an unusual body… Spike wanted to help, but he wasn’t sure how. After a minute, he said, “If it makes you feel any better, you’re adapting to your new body quicker than Twilight did. It took her a while to even figure out how to walk, and hands were even more confusing.”

“Yeah,” Liz said, and put down her coffee. “At least I don’t have to worry about that. But… that’s weird. Why wouldn’t I have to worry about that? I’ve been walking around just fine, but I shouldn’t know the first thing about walking as a pony. I mean, I’ve heard that a lot of Pokémon can walk within minutes, but it should have taken a while of bungling around before I could walk, much less trot or gallop. But I didn’t. It was odd at first, but I was able to walk and move without trouble. That doesn’t make any sense. It’s not like there’s less complex movements to walking on four legs, it’s just harder to fall down… I think? I don’t know.”

Liz sighed as she looked at her coffee mug. She then looked at her hoof. “Wait… how did I pick the mug up? I mean, I obviously picked it up, but... it’s not like hooves are made for picking things up. How did I do that?”

Spike blinked in confusion, as this was not what he had been expecting… especially not so early in the morning. “I didn’t think that caffeine worked that fast.”

“It’s the psychological effect of the taste of the coffee. I use decaf as a placebo sometimes. It helps me cut down.”

At this point, Twilight walked into the room. “Morning Spike. Hello Liz.”

“Twilight,” Liz said, “Have you ever done something, and then wasn’t sure how you did it?”

Twilight was confused at this. “I guess? Like when… um… well, maybe not.”

“Well… look, I should have no idea how to walk around, right? But… I know how. Like I’ve done it all my life. Well, I mean, I don’t really know how to walk, how the joints move when I walk exactly, but I still do it if I try, right? But you had to learn how from the beginning. Why is my case different?”

Twilight was quiet and thought for a minute. “I… have no idea. I have no idea at all. Maybe… it’s a difference in how we traveled through worlds. I used a portal, but if your method was different than it might have different effects.” Twilight sat down next to her. “How about we compare notes over breakfast?”

Liz nodded. “Well, as far as I can tell, I was transported by a group of Unown, but I don’t know anything about the details.”

“What are… Unown?” Twilight asked. “I mean, there probably isn’t much known about them, given their name, but what can you tell me?”

“Well, they’re small, rare, psychic type Pokémon… wait; you don’t know what Pokémon are, either, do you?”

Twilight shook her head. “Let me get something to take notes on.”

Twilight took careful notes over the discussion, even after Spike made pancakes for the pair.

‘Pokemon are creatures, some of which are intelligent, that have supernatural powers. This might be magic in this world. Pokemon appear to mostly exist instead of animals for the most part; there were some normal animals but they mainly play minor roles in the world.’

‘Pokemon are grouped by type; type is based on their abilities, habitat, and how they interact with certain kinds of energy. A “fire-type” Pokemon is prone to damage from water (implies dousing, but not all fire Pokemon have external flames. Magical damage based on elements?), but resistant to damage from ice (internal high temperature nullifies cellular damage from extreme cold?).’

‘The Pokemon responsible for the transition, “Unown,” is “Psychic-Type,” meaning that it uses mental powers. Mind control, mental attacks, mind reading, teleportation, telekinesis, etc. (Teleportation and telekinesis are considered mental powers? Simply association with other, direct mental powers?)’

‘Unown is known for power in groups: alone, is small and of minimal threat. In groups, much larger threat. Mutiplicative or additive power? Supposed connection to other plane. (aether?) In large enough groups, can warp reality! largest known incident: conversion of a mansion into a crystal castle.’

‘Liz is not a scientist. Do not ask Liz a lot of science questions.’

“Okay…” Twilight said as she looked over her notes so far. “This is obviously a lot more complex than I thought it would be, but I guess I really shouldn’t be surprised. Anyway, I have some errands to do today, and some friends are likely going to drag me away to do flying lessons later on, so I should get going.”

Liz nodded “And if I’m going to be staying here for a while, I should get to know the town.”

The pair headed toward the front door. “And you should meet some other ponies,” Twilight said, “Ponyville is small enough that people will notice if you become a regular.”

Twilight opened the door, revealing Pinkie Pie.

“Hiya!” She said cheerily, smiling at Liz. “So… are you going to be staying for a while?”

Twilight nodded. “For now, it looks like she’ll be staying with me-”

“WHOOPEE!” Pinkie exclaimed and leaped into the air before Twilight could explain the situation. “I’ll have to start party plans right away! Hey, while I’m here, how about I take her on a tour? See the town!”

“We were just discussing that.” Twilight said. “That okay with you, Liz?”

Liz, somewhat startled by this, took a deep breath. It was a Pink Party Pony, she was probably the least dangerous thing in town. “Sure,” She said, “If you don’t mind.”

“GREAT! That will save me the time of having to show you where your party will be! Follow me!”

Liz followed Pinkie Pie, while Twilight pondered what all she really needed to do today…


Fluttershy pushed through the bead curtain carefully, looking into Zecora’s house. “Hello? Zecora? Are you here?”

Zecora looked up from the book she was reading, and smiled warmly. “Good to see you, Fluttershy. May I ask what brings you by?”

Fluttershy stepped inside. “I’m sorry to come in unannounced, but, I have a question, if you’re not too busy, I mean.”

“I’m not busy, as you can see. Would you like a cup of tea?” Zecora asked and gestured toward a pot over a small flame.

“Oh, yes please,” Fluttershy accepted the tea gratefully. Whatever Zecora did to make her tea, it was better than almost anything else Fulttershy had tried. “You heard the noise last night, right?”

Zecora nodded. “A rude awakening, to be sure. I do not know what it could be for.”

Fluttershy frowned at this. “Oh… I was hoping that you knew what it was. I’ve never heard anything like it.”

“The Everfree hides many things. Secrets and forgotten beings. The noise that was so loud and clear, is a harbinger of one, I fear.”

Suddenly, the sound echoed through the air again. Fluttershy flinched, and almost dropped her teacup. Zecora stopped, and listened to the noise intently.

A moment after it stopped, Zecora spoke. “I do not wish to cause you fright, but that sounded closer than it was last night.”

Fluttershy trembled a bit.


“Fluttershy! Fluttershy! Where are you? Come on, we have to teach Twilight about hovering today!” Rainbow Dash looked for her friend. She wasn’t in her house, or the chicken coop, or anywhere that she usually was. This probably meant that she was in town. Maybe Angel was feeling picky today and made her go get fresh lettuce or something.

You know, why not get the information right from the rabbit’s mouth? Rainbow Dash looked in a window, and saw Angel. He was idly chewing on some carrots and looking through… something. Rainbow Dash wasn’t sure what kind of books Flutttershy had.

Rainbow Dash tapped on the window, getting Angel’s attention. He hopped up to the window, opened it, and crossed his forepaws in front of his chest in an annoyed fashion.

“Look,” Rainbow Dash said, “Five minutes, okay? I just need to know where Fluttershy went. Did she go into town?”

Angel shook his head.

“Did she go to Sweet Apple Acres?”

Angel shook his head.

“Is she taking care of some of her animal friends?”

Angel again shook his head.

“Oh come on. Where else would she go? The Everfree Forest?”

Angel nodded in response to that.

“What? Why?”

Angel sighed, turned to show Rainbow Dash his side, and traced a spiral on his flank with his paw.

It took Rainbow Dash a moment, but she realized what was going on. “Oh! Zecora! She went to go see Zecora. Okay. Thanks, Angel!”

With that, Rainbow Dash was off, headed into the forest. The route to Zecora’s hut was simple enough, and pretty safe. It would barely take a minute for Rainbow dash to-

Her train of thought was suddenly disrupted by some kind of buzzing, shrieking sound. She came to a mid-air stop and looked around. She saw something… a dark thing, moving so fast through the trees that it was little more than a blur. Curious, Rainbow Dash flew after it.

It was fast, but she was faster, and pulled alongside it quickly enough. She managed to see some gold on the body, and a pair of red eyes, but then it apparently noticed her and made a sharp U-turn. Rainbow Dash was able to keep up, but quickly found herself straining harder. It was flying faster, and while it wasn’t faster than what Rainbow Dash could get, it was faster than a lot of ponies that Rainbow Dash knew.

It weaved through the trees skillfully, obviously an experienced flyer. It had an edge in that it was small, Rainbow mused to herself, but as Applejack would say, this was not her first rodeo. Over a branch, under a log, past a bush, and she was hot on its tail.

She caught a glimpse of an eye, peeking over its shoulder, before it suddenly pulled a hard, almost 90-degree turn. Rainbow wasn’t able to keep on its tail after that, but she was able to keep it in her sights. It was harder from further off, and it was now actively trying to shake her. Sometimes with little more than a flit at the edge of her vision and the droning of its wings, Rainbow worked to track it. She didn’t know what it was, but it was some kind of huge bug that went much faster than most things she had met, and that was enough for her.

She realized that this thing could even give a Wonderbolt a run for their money. Oh, there was no way she was backing down now!

Seeing an opening in the trees, she rolled and dived for it. Her hooves brushed the thing’s insectile wings; she felt them buffet her legs and body for a moment before she had to pull up. That must have disrupted its flight path some; Rainbow knew how bad it was to have your wings get touched while in mid-air, especially if you’re going fast.

The thing did dip a bit, but did not touch the ground, instead suddenly shooting upward. It must have been able to recover because insect wings flap a billion times a second or something. Rainbow dash noted to ask Fluttershy about that later.

Rainbow dash followed it, breaking through the top of the canopy, reaching the same height as it, and for just a moment got a good look at it. It was mostly black, but it looked kind of like it was wearing a gold mask. It had red compound eyes, and some kind of red pattern on the tips of its wings. It also had two arms, tipped with small but very sharp claws.
It was only a moment, but it was long enough for the pair to look into each other’s eyes and communicate a silent challenge.

The bug took off, flying as fast as it could now that there was no need to worry about dodging trees. Rainbow Dash followed a moment later. The bug quickly gained an initial lead, having accelerated faster than Rainbow Dash could, but that only lasted so long. Rainbow dash found, much to her liking, that she had the higher top speed.

It took a bit to get going as fast as she could, but once there she was definitely faster than the bug. She shot past it, did a large u-turn so that she didn’t have to sacrifice any speed, and charged at the bug head on. Then, one blur became three, in a tight triangle formation, and Rainbow Dash blew through one of the corners. “What?” She declared out loud before turning again to keep her targets in her sight.

It took her a moment to figure out what had happened: It was some kind of decoy spell, or illusion: two of the bugs were fake, while the third was the real one. She hadn’t expected to see this; it’s already super-fast, using magic too is almost unfair.

Almost. It would be unfair if it was against anyone less awesome. For the fastest flier in Equestria, it was only a challenge.

One swoop, Rainbow Dash passed through one. That one was an illusion, so one of the remaining two was the real one. A loop and Rainbow Dash was in position, and dived at the right angle so that she could get the other two in one go. The formation turned at the last moment, so that Rainbow Dash only flew through one. However, this meant that she now knew which one was the real one.

The bug was apparently keeping track of which ones Rainbow had checked, too, as the formation rotated and dove back into the trees. Rainbow dash followed, but quickly lost track of which one was real as she went back to dodging and weaving at high speeds. The bug, however, not only maintained its speed, but also managed to maintain its illusion. Very well, too, as sometimes the three bugs would use three equally viable ways to get through a patch of thick brush or a wall of vines.

Rainbow Dash didn’t slow down any more than she had to. She knew what she was doing, and she was not about to lose to this bug!

Fluttershy walked through the forest back to her home. Her talk with Zecora hadn’t been very useful. She didn’t like the idea of just waiting for something to go wrong, but she couldn’t think of an alternative.

A sudden fast breeze flew past her, followed shortly by a crash off to the side of her. She froze, and looked into the trees cautiously. She saw Rainbow Dash, on the ground, surrounded by splinters. Fluttershy gasped and rushed to her friend’s side. She was unconscious, that was obvious, and given the splinters… it looked like she had smashed through a branch with her head! Fluttershy picked up her friend, and began to haul her to the town. She could only hope that somepony would help the pair to the hospital.


Liz smiled contently. “Okay, yes, that was the best slice of apple pie I have ever tasted.”

Applejack smiled. “Thanks! I’m happy y’all enjoyed it. It’s an Apple Family Recipe.”

Liz nodded. “That makes sense. Family recipes always seem to be better than mass-produced ones.” Pinkie’s tour had ended with Sweet Apple Acres, and Applejack had just happened to have finished baking. She had invited the pair in to try some pie, and Liz was quite happy that she did.

“So,” Applejack said as she rounded up the plates, “How long will you be in Ponyville?”

Liz shifted back and forth. “Um… not sure. There’s a lot about the situation I don’t understand. And, uh, the situation itself is kind of sensitive. I guess it’s possible it could be wrapped up fairly quickly, but I doubt it. I don’t even know if there’s a solution at all.”

Applejack put the dishes into the sink and turned back towards Liz. “Now, you shouldn’t worry none. Twilight’s the brightest pony in Ponyville, and if there’s a solution then chances are she can figure it out.”

As if on cue, in a flash of purple light Twilight appeared in the middle of the room. She didn’t waste time, barely looking around to get her bearings before speaking. “Applejack! Pinkie Pie! Rainbow Dash is in the hospital!”

“What? Again?” Applejack turned and ran out the door, Pinkie close on her tail. Twilight disappeared in another flash of light, and Liz found herself rushing out the door in an effort to try and keep up with the pair of ponies. She hadn’t the foggiest idea who “Rainbow Dash” was, but she was apparently friends with Twilight, so at the very least Liz should share her sympathies.


“…I’m telling you, it was black, had a gold mask on, and it was almost as fast as I was. I would totally have caught it if it weren’t for that stupid log. What was a log doing in a tree, anyway?” Rainbow Dash was on her back in the bed, because neither Nurse Redheart nor her head would let her sit up without making the room spin around.

Well, nurse Redheart just pushed her back down to the bed. Her head made the room spin.

“Relax, Rainbow,” Fluttershy said, placing a hoof on Rainbow Dash’s shoulder. “Are you sure about that? I didn’t see anything like it.”

“Yes!” Rainbow Dash replied emphatically, “But it was moving so fast, it was a blur. Like how fast I move, but it didn’t have my trail, so it’s easy to miss. I bet it would be practically invisible if you weren’t looking for it.”

“What interests me,” Twilight said, “Is the illusion effect. That sounds like a very complex spell, and using it in the way you described implies intelligence. I’ll have to do some research, try to find anything about this.”

“If you all are done,” Nurse Redheart said simply, “Rainbow Dash needs her rest.”

The group left the hospital. Liz looked at them: Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and… a yellow pegasus with pink hair. A good group of friends to come and comfort someone who just had an accident. Liz waited until the group dispersed a bit, and then walked over to Twilight. “Will your friend be okay?”

“Yeah,” Twilight said with a nod. “She’ll only be a day or two. Sorry to derail your tour like that.”

“No problem!” Liz said, “Truth be told, I probably would have done the same to you. I understand how it is.”

Twilight smiled and began walking. “Okay. Now then, I need to finish my letter to the princess, finish my shopping, and then try to find information on Rainbow’s bug.”

“Bug?” Liz asked, curiously, walking alongside Twilight.

“Yes, apparently Rainbow chased some kind of large bug through The Everfree Forest. It moved very fast, maneuvered well, and apparently had an odd buzzing screech.”

Liz thought about that for a moment. That sounded oddly familiar. “Wait!” She said and came to a halt. “Did she get a good look at it?”

Twilight looked at the odd mare. She hadn’t seen Liz this excited about something yet. “Um… yes. Why?”

“Did it look like it had a gold mask thing? And did it move so fast that it was practically invisible?”

Twilight blinked. “Yeah, how did you know?”

“CICA!” Liz shouted, turned around, and galloped off. She didn’t get very far, though, quickly screeching to a halt before turning around and trotting back to Twilight. “I don’t actually know the way to The Everfree Forest.”

“Do you know about it?” Twilight asked, quite confused and surprised. “I didn’t think you knew anything about Equestria.”

“If I’m right,” Liz said, “then it’s actually a creature from my world, a Pokémon, and my friend.” She stomped her hoof on the ground for emphasis.

Twilight recognized the look; it meant that trying to talk her out of this would be like trying to talk Rainbow Dash or Applejack out of rushing out to help their friends. Which is to say, difficult but not impossible. Twilight knew how to deal with ponies like this by now. “You can’t just run out into the Everfree Forest,” She started, “It’s dangerous. The whole place has unusual magic, and grows in odd ways.” Twilight knew that magic was an unknown to Liz, and would therefore discourage her from running out there alone. “It’s full of dangerous animals, and even experienced ponies don’t like to go deep into it alone.” That, Twilight thought, would be better: from her discussions with Liz, she knew that Pokémon were often dangerous in the wild. Saying there was dangerous animals would be something that Liz could relate to. “And from the sound of it, ‘Cica’ is flying between the edge of the forest and deep into it. There is a large amount of ground to cover, and trying to find something moving so fast as to be nigh-invisible is already difficult if you know where it is. And you don’t know the terrain. Plus, last time it saw you, you were a human, right? It might not recognize you as a pony.”

Liz listened to Twilight’s points, and frowned sadly. She then took a deep breath, set her jaw, looked Twilight in the eyes, and said, “I’ve done stupider things.”

Twilight blinked. That was not the reaction she was expecting. If she couldn’t talk Liz out of it, then there was one more thing to do: try to make sure she didn’t hurt herself. “Okay, just… let me gather up some of my friends, okay?”

Liz blinked. “You would do that for me?”

“Well…” Twilight said awkwardly, “Yeah. I’m not going to let anypony, even just an acquaintance, go into the Everfree alone.”


Liz, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Twilight walked into the Everfree forest. Three of the ponies were nervous; but Liz was just determined. The foliage was thick, the grass was tall, and Sunlight was having trouble filtering through the canopy.

“Are y’all sure about this?” Applejack asked. “It’ll be evenin’ soon; it’s only gonna get darker from here.”

“Good; he’s easiest to find at sunrise and sunset,” Liz replied, keeping an eye on the trees. “We should be looking for claw marks on the trees, and listening for a droning sound. There is a chance of seeing him, but probably not unless he’s feeding.”

“What,” Fluttershy stuttered, glancing around, “What does he eat?”

“Tree sap, mainly,” Liz said. “He’s omnivorous, but in a situation like this he would feed on sap from trees. He might also go for some sweet fruit. He wouldn’t eat meat unless he was starving, and in most places that’s not a worry. I think he doesn’t like the texture of it.”

“Say…” Applejack said, “What’s liable to happen if he sees us before we see him?”

Liz sighed. “That’s what I’m hoping for, actually,” She explained, “Thanks to his speed and good eyesight, it’s a lot more likely that he sees us. The trick is, that it’s likely that he’ll just ignore us… assuming that he doesn’t recognize me, which I admit is likely. He might intervene if we’re in danger, but apart from that he doesn’t mind people. Er, ponies. At least, I don’t think he does.” Liz was finding herself more and more uncertain. Everything had changed. Even if she did find him, she didn’t have his Pokeball.

“And what if he doesn’t recognize me? He could have seen us by now, thought us a group on a hike, and moved on. Really the only thing I have going here is optimism.”

“Uh…” Applejack said hesitantly, “Are you talkin’ to yourself?”

“No!” Liz said, defensively, “Or, well, yes. It’s a nervous habit. Don’t worry about it.”

After a minute of walking, Fluttershy spoke up. “You know, it’s easier to recognize you than it is to recognize most ponies. You have a nice hat.”

Applejack nodded. “Shy speaks the truth; if ya wear a hat enough it becomes part of your image just as much as your mane does. Why, Ah once pulled a prank on Applebloom by sticking my Stetson on a lizard. The confusin’ part was that the lizard then proceeded to up and make flapjacks, so it honestly did look like Ah had been turned into a lizard and was working around it. Where does a lizard learn to make flapjacks, anyway?”

“I… have no idea,” Fluttershy said, “That’s very weird. I’ve never taught a lizard how to do that.”

“Anyway,” Applejack said, trying to get back on topic. “What matters is that even if he doesn’t recognize your face for some reason, he still might recognize your hat.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Liz said. “Let’s at least keep going for a while longer, at least.”


The sun descended in the sky, and the group had found nothing.

Twilight walked up next to Liz. “We should head back,” she said, “It’s getting too dark, and soon the nighttime predators will be out. We’ve been lucky so far, but being out here at night isn’t something we should risk.”

Liz stopped. “Is it… really that dangerous? We haven’t seen anything out here at all,” She said, looking around.

“As I said, we got really lucky,” Twilight answered, “But the longer we stay out here, the more likely we’ll come across something.”

“Really,” Liz said, “what kind of things are out here?”

“Manticores,” Twilight stated.

“Ghosts,” Applejack added.

Fluttershy nodded, and thought back. “There was a hydra that one time…”

“Timberwovles.”

“It’s almost wolf season, too.”

“Giant spiders.”

“Zecora once told me that a Nuckelavee used to live out here.”

“Th’ trees come to life sometimes, too.”

“Giant screech owls.”

“I know there’s a dragon den around here somewhere.”

“And the ursa cave.”

“And the reflection pool, but that’s not all that dangerous.”

“Vine creepers are fairly common.”

“I ain’t never heard of those.”

“Venus Ponytraps.”

“They’re known for tying up ponies overnight and then dangling them for the predators…”

“Oh, lasso weed. Hate that stuff.”

“Poison joke.”

“And then there’s the ants.”

“An’ the wasps.”

“Some of the roaches get to be the size of terriers.”

Liz looked at the other three. That was a long list of things. “Anything else?”

“Dire shrews,” Fluttershy stated simply.

Liz sighed, defeated. “Okay, okay, let’s head back.”