• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 1,007 Views, 3 Comments

Lost in a New World - KingBrony



An ancient race has returned to Equestria. Will the ponies ever be able to live in harmony again?

  • ...
3
 3
 1,007

Fluttershy 3 - On the Road Again

Fluttershy placed the last of her rations into her travel saddle. Twilight told her and Berry to get ready for the journey, not knowing when they would return. Fluttershy couldn't bear to think about what the little fillies have been through since being separated from everypony else. At the same time, the pegasus had her own mission to go on.

"We will split up near Canterlot," Fluttershy told her friend. "Discord and I will make for the castle, while you and Berry travel to Saddle Arabia." The look on the pony's eyes were serious, showing Twilight that she really was going to follow through in her plan to talk to the Sleipnir. The princess couldn't help but sigh.

"You know that I still don't approve of this," she began. "But, I can't stop you." Twilight gave Fluttershy a hug.

"Thanks, Twilight," Fluttershy said. The embrace felt like one that friends give each other before never seeing each other again. Fluttershy didn't know how the journey would go, or if she would even be successful in speaking to them. However, she knew that if she couldn't do it, nopony else could.

"Twilight!"

Cadence's voice carried from the adjacent hall. The two broke their hug and followed the sound of her voice. Cadence sat in the throne room, underneath a large cloud of smoke. It had floated in through the window, lingering over the throne.

"A letter is coming," Cadence said as the smoke focused itself into a trail, finally materializing as a scroll in front of the princess. A second trail of smoke made its way towards Twilight, producing a second scroll. Both scrolls carried the seal of Saddle Arabia.

"Is this from Princess Stellae?" Princess Cadence asked as she opened her scroll using her magic.

To the Current Princesses of Equestria, Twilight and Cadence,
Let me say that we in Saddle Arabia are in mourning for the loss of Princesses Celestia and Luna,
and that we are currently holding together as a kingdom.
I will keep this brief in the event that this is intercepted by any wandering eyes:
As we move forward, I wish that Saddle Arabia and The Crystal Empire can work together and restore peace to Equestria.
Anything that you need, I will be more than willing to provide.
Best Regards,
Princess Stellae, Sultana of Saddle Arabia

Twilight opened her scroll, which contained familiar handwriting:

Twilight,

It's been a while since I last sent you a letter. Sorry for the delay, but know that the fillies and I are doing okay.
We have made it to Saddle Arabia. They seem to be doing well here, but there are still dangers out there.
I will try to keep in touch as we move forward.

Your faithful companion,
Spike

"It's good to see they're okay," A weight lifted off of Fluttershy's shoulders upon hearing the news. Twilight placed the letter down and turned to the pegasus.

"We cannot delay any further," She said. Fluttershy nodded.

"I will keep everything under control here," Cadence told them. "I'll take care of the sun and moon too, so don't worry about trying to move them from out there."

"Thank you," Twilight said. "We will be back to see you soon, don't worry!" Fluttershy could tell that Twilight did not want to place such a heavy burden on the new mother, but Cadence gave a smile that the pegasus knew was genuine.

Fluttershy followed Berry and Princess Twilight out of the castle and into the town. It was the first time being outside since the Sleipnir attack, so Fluttershy did not know what to expect. The buildings were surprisingly in good shape, as Discord used his magic to undo the damage caused during the attack. However, the town itself felt like a shell. The ponies who survived mourned those who have died. Mares, Colts, and filies alike were all among the lost. The town was quiet as ponies stared at the three making their way out.

"Princess?" One pony spoke up. "You're leaving us!?" Other ponies began to gather around, wondering why the Princess looked like she was packed and ready to leave. Soon, a large group surrounded them.

"Do not worry," Twilight spoke above the murmuring crowd. "The Crystal Empire is the last beacon of hope in Equestria, but we are not alone! We have received word from Saddle Arabia; they are surviving and as strong as ever!" The crowd continued to discuss and talk, but the energy felt more positive overall.

"We will be traveling south to meet with them," Twilight continued. "And we will be back in no time!"

"Be careful!" One pony shouted from the crowd. "I hope you aren't attacked!?" Another shouted.

The Crystal Guards soon arrived on the scene, having heard the commotion from the castle. "Okay, let's let them pass," They said to the crowd, creating a clear path for them to move through. As Fluttershy passed by, she saw many sad looks on the ponies' faces. They felt vulnerable without their Princesses. She knew how hard it must be for Twilight to decide to leave.

Discord sat at the edge of the town, trimming his nails. "Took you long enough," Discord said as he got up.

Twilight began to speak. "Alright, so once we teleport to Saddle Ara-"

"Oh, we can't teleport there," Discord interjected.

The princess gave him a surprised look. "Why not? Isn't something like that a piece of cake for you?"

"You flatter me," Discord exclaimed. "But, unless you want to get intercepted by the Sleipnir and let them all know that we are moving, I suggest that we go there manually. If the Sleipnir are attracted to pony magic, they will most certainly be aware of the use of Draconequus magic."

"As much as I want to just fix it all with my magic, I can only do so much before they find us. So, magic is only used as a last resort."

Twilight sighed. "I understand," She turned to Berry Bunches. "I'm sorry, but since we can't just teleport there, I don't think it would be a good idea to come along with us anymore. It will be much more dangerous."

Berry stood her ground. "I still want to go. I'm old enough to take care of myself!" Berry's damaged wing fluttered as she spoke.

This time, Twilight stayed firm. "It is far too dangerous, Berry. I am not allowing you to go."

"It's just as dangerous for you too!" Berry snapped back. "You've seen what they can do, and using magic is a guaranteed death sentence. I can keep quiet and follow your orders! Please, you have to let me go!"

Twilight stayed silent for a moment. Discord and Fluttershy exchanged glances. The passion in Berry Bunches's eyes was apparent to everypony watching her. Finally, Twilight gave a nod.

"You do exactly as we say, understand?"

The filly nodded. "Down to the letter!"

"Now!" Discord shouted as he floated above the others. "Let us begin our most dangerous journey! We only have a 4% chance of survival, by my calculations."

"How do you figure that?" Twilight asked. Discord scoffed.

"Well, there are 4 of us," Discord retorted. "1% each."

*********

The group made it as far as they could go by following the tracks that led out of the Crystal Empire. The first leg of the journey was uneventful and fairly easy as they approached the zone where the temperature began to grow warmer. By hoof it took until sunset to reach the border, prompting Twilight to start setting up camp. She found a wooded area near the tracks to shelter them from any eyes above. Fluttershy and Berry Bunches scavenged the area for berries and other food for a meal, while Discord scouted around to make sure they were safe.

"I can't believe I'm doing this..." Discord mumbled as he walked around, without using any magic. "Walking? Me!?" As he walked, Discord stepped right onto a small jagged pebble. "Ouch!" He cried, jumping up and down. He pulled the pebble out and threw it with all of his might.

Twilight started a small fire using some nearby twigs and stone. The moon sat perched high above the sky while the flames flickered in the moonlight. The others returned and joined the princess. Fluttershy sighed in relief as she rested her hooves. "The night is nice and quiet," She said.

"Let's hope it stays that way," Twilight replied. "We don't want to attract too much attention to ourselves."

As the pegasus slept, dreams of Ponyville flew into her head. She dreamed of Sweet Apple Acres - it was Cider season, and she was the very first one in line this time. One swig of the lovely drink and she was in heaven. Applejack stood at the other side, smiling and handing out more mugs to the other ponies.

Fluttershy woke up with tears running down her face. The fire had been put out; only the smoke rose up from its place. Twilight, Berry, and Discord all slept around it. The pegasus heard nothing but the sound of snoring, quietly blending with the sound of nature. There was no denying where they were now. Everything that had happened to them, to the world, was just as real as the water running down the side of her cheek. Fluttershy was constantly reminded of this, but the pony had learned to fuel her own desire to survive. The dragons, the manticore in the cave, the little filly stuck under the rubble, the frozen mountains.... she could not dare to fail her purpose after everything everypony else had done in order for the group to be where they are now. Just as the smoke rises up from the pile of ash, Fluttershy resolved to rise up just the same.

The sounds of nature grew louder, prompting Fluttershy to bow her head and sit still. It sounded like hoofsteps stepping on the crunchy grass. Multiple steps. And they were getting even louder.

"Twilight...Discord," Fluttershy tried to wake her friends as quietly as possible so as to not bring attention to the group. Twilight rolled over in her sleep and Discord snorted.

They're going to come right towards us, The pegasus thought. What should I do?

The pony stood herself up and crawled towards some nearby bushes. There was a light in the distance, which the pony quietly moved toward. While moving towards another bush, she fell heavily onto the ground, causing the bush to make noise as it shook. Fearing that whoever was there would be suspicious, Fluttershy quickly improvised and let out the cry of a bird. Her call was returned by some birds in the distance.

Fluttershy's hooves were uneasy as her heart tried to escape its shaken prison. Slowly looking through the bush, she could make out three figures. They were all bigger than normal ponies, burly and hardened. She could tell they were Sleipnir, possibly patroling the area. Are we close to one of their camps? The asked herself. The situation could grow even more dangerous if her suspicions were correct.

Looking back at the camp, Fluttershy noticed that the smoke was still rising. They were currently far enough away from the camp to not notice the others, but the smoke... Oh no! She thought to herself. If the Sleipnir notice that, then...

What do I do!? I have to protect them!

Fluttershy quickly looked back to the Sleipnir. One carried a long spear at his side and another carried a torch; Fluttershy knew it was now or never. Readying her wings, the pegasus lunged forward, hurling herself at the Sleipnir with the spear. Fluttershy was never a fast flyer, but the speed at which she moved was one that even Rainbow Dash would have been proud of.

Not anticipating the ambush, the Sleipnir was tackled to the ground by the yellow pony, who quickly proceeded to grab the spear and stab him right in the neck. He let out a cry of pain as the other two Sleipnir realized what was happening. Fluttershy jumped back and vaulted herself into the air, using her wings to carry her up to the treetops.

"What was that!?" The Sleipnir with the torch shouted, holding the light up to the trees to see just what had happened. "Was that a bat? A manticore?"

"Calm yourself!" The other snapped, readying its magic. Fluttershy could hear what they were saying as if they were speaking her own language, and kept herself camouflaged within the thicket. Leaves rumbled in many random spots, causing the two Sleipnir to turn towards the sound at each instance. The one with magic studied the thicket closely, and finally honed in on a location.

"There!" He shouted as the spear hurled itself towards him. The Sleipnir used his magic to redirect the air currents, making the object fly past him and stick itself into the ground. The Sleipnir scoffed. "You're going to have to do better than that!" He said in a cocky tone as he picked up the spear. When the shaft was dislodged from the ground, the Sleipnir noticed that the sharp end was snapped off, leaving only the stick in his hooves. Confused, the Sleipnir looked into the hole where he pulled it out. Nothing.

"What the-"

A shiny, metal object flew from the trees, just where the rest of the spear had come from. This time, it pierced right through the back of the Sleipnir's skull, and he dropped to the ground.

The final Sleipnir screamed as Fluttershy dropped down and tackled him as well, pinning him to the ground. The torch rolled away from the struggle.

"What are you doing here!?" Fluttershy interrogated the scared Sleipnir.

"We...we were just following orders!"

Fluttershy applied more force to the Sleipnir's hooves. For a big Sleipnir, this one seemed to be more of a coward than what Fluttershy had encountered previously. Just as there were many kinds of ponies, there must be many different Sleipnir.

"Okay!" The Sleipnir yelped. "We were just scouting for a good battleground! Nothing more!"

"Battleground?" Fluttershy gave the Sleipnir the stare. He yelped once more.

"I heard there's griffons coming! They want to fight!"

Without another word, Fluttershy flew back up into the trees, leaving the Sleipnir alone near the bodies of his fellow soldiers.

The pegasus made her way back to the camp. There, she saw Twilight and Berry huddled together as Discord stood guard. They must have heard what was going on and prepared to defend themselves.

"Fluttershy!" Twilight's eyes glistened as she saw her friend. "Where were you!" It was dark, but Twilight could tell that it was Fluttershy.

"Oh, I'm glad you're safe," Fluttershy hugged the group. "We have a problem,"

"What's wrong?"

"The Sleipnir know about the Griffon invasion. They must know that they are on our side, and are planning to stop them."

"How did-"

"No time!" Fluttershy quickly said. "We have to move now! It's not safe here anymore!"

Fluttershy led the others away from the area where the confrontation happened, heading further south towards the heart of Equestria. As soon as they cleared the forest, the group proceeded to fly as fast as they could, until they depleted all of their energy.

"Fluttershy, I'm getting tired...Can we stop for a bit?" Berry said. Fluttershy nodded and descended, finding a small abandoned cottage near some farmlands. The land looked old and unused, and seemed suitable for a place to take refuge. Inside, the cottage looked untouched since the meteors fell. There was an ample supply of food, as if the owners got up and left after the world ended.

"So, what's going on?" Discord asked. "I don't like when you keep secrets from me!"

"The Sleipnir already know about the Griffons' plan, somehow." Fluttershy gasped for breath as she spoke. "The griffons will be walking into a bloodbath if we don't do something..."

"Well, should we send them a warning?" Twilight offered.

"We will be caught before we're halfway out of Equestria," Discord retorted. "There's no time to reach the Griffons."

The group sat in silence for a moment. Fluttershy suddenly stood up.

"I have to go talk with the Sleipnir now."

"That's suicide!" Twilight said. "I know you've been wanting to do this, but the outcome is becoming increasingly unlikely to be successful!"

"But Twlight, I-"

"Even if they decide to listen to you without immediately killing you," Twilight continued with more concern in her voice. "Why would they just 'stop what they're doing and leave'? Why would they decide to not fight the Griffons because you told them to?"

"Do you have a better plan, Twilight?" Fluttershy stood her ground, looking more confident than she ever had been. Discord pulled up a chair and whistled in approval.

"...I don't." Twilight replied. "But, our first priority should be making sure the girls are okay."

"We can split up from here," Fluttershy proposed. "You and Berry continue south to Saddle Arabia, while Discord and I head to Canterlot."

"I'm the only pony in the world who can speak to them. If I don't do it, then there will be nothing but violence in our future. If they kill me, then so be it, but we won't know until we find out." Fluttershy never expected those words to come out of her mouth, but the fire in her eyes was not going to be extinguished anytime soon.

Twilight finally nodded. "I'll support your decision. Just please, be careful out there." Twilight smiled and gave her friend a hug. One that Fluttershy felt could be their last.

"I will."

*********

The group decided to stay at the cottage for a few more hours, regaining their strength and re-supplying before the next leg of the journey. Twilight estimated that they were due west of Canterlot now, which left Fluttershy and Discord not much distance to travel. Twilight and Berry had the longer journey ahead of them, needing to fly past the great deserts in the south.

As the four stood at the center of the farmland, they all took one last look at each other before departing. "We will meet again," Fluttershy said reassuringly to Berry, who began to tear up.

"You better keep that promise," Berry said, tearfully. Fluttershy and Discord turned towards the east and started the journey. Hopefully, the last one that they would ever need to make. If Fluttershy believed in herself, then maybe her words would be able to reach even the strongest, mightiest of kings, and help bring the entire world to peace. It was a great dream.