• Published 23rd Feb 2012
  • 804 Views, 5 Comments

Rise of the Draconequus - jb530



A tale of the beginning of Equestria

  • ...
 5
 804

Snow Falls

In Unicornia, a herd of unicorns gathered around a notice that had been posted in the marketplace. Hoof written in fancy script, the notice blared:

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Princess Gilded Platinum, the regent of Unicornia, shall be celebrating her birthday on the 5th day of the month. By order of the Unicorn King, all work shall be suspended and all citizens of Unicornia are invited to join the royal celebration in the castle. Bring a gift for the regent if able.

Regal Scroll
King of Unicornia

Excited chatter spread among the peasants in the town square and marketplace, as they awaited the day when they could see the castle with their own eyes.


The pegasi worked through the night to clear the clouds away for the princess’ birthday. As dawn magically broke to a cloudless sky, the rising sun revealed a line of unicorns tramping to the castle.

Some held wrapped gifts in their telekinetic grip. Others carried their gifts on their backs. Foals played around their parents’ hooves, their giggles mixing with the excited chatter of the unicorns as they made their way to the castle.

King Regal Scroll, a muscular, ivory stallion, stood at the castle gates. A gleaming golden crown sat atop his chestnut mane. As each guest entered, the King bowed in greeting, his long beard scraping the floor each time.

The guests piled their gifts in a towering heap and then gathered in the great hall. Conversation filled the room as nobles and peasants intermingled. Sunlight streamed into the wide windows on either side of the hall. Rays of light bounced off the gleaming chandelier, creating dancing sunbeams and rainbows on the walls and floor.

While the guests waited in the hall, the king trotted off to find the guest of honor. He tapped his horn gently against his daughter’s door. ”Dear princess,” he called. “The guests have assembled. Are you ready?”

The princess levitated a brush through her violet mane. “Coming, father,” came the melodious reply. She released the brush, which clattered to the dresser top. She reached out with her telekinesis and brought her crown to her head. A golden necklace, aided by magic, fastened itself around the princess’ neck.

Concentrating, the ivory mare teleported out the door with a pop. “My daughter, you look lovely today,” the king complimented.

“Do I, father? I just couldn’t decide between amethyst and ruby. The amethyst sets off my eyes so well, but do you think I should get the ruby instead? It was from mother, after all…”

The king raised a hoof for silence. “You are lovely, my daughter. Now come, the guests are arriving.” Father and daughter concentrated, then vanished, reappearing instantly in the great hall.

“Welcome, all,” exclaimed the king, his deep voice rumbling through the hall. “I welcome you to the birthday celebration of my daughter. Dearest daughter. Since the day you were born, you have filled my life with joy. After your mother passed away, I felt as though I could not go on. However, I have managed to rule Unicornia for years with you by my side. And now, I present my gift to you. From this day forth, you shall be the sole ruler of Unicornia.”

The princess stood in shock as a buzz of chatter filled the great hall.
“Father?” the princess asked. “Do you really think I can?”

“Yes, my daughter,” the king replied. “You are ready.” Gently, the unicorn stallion nuzzled his daughter.

Unnoticed by all, a small white flake of snow drifted down in a silent dance. Soon the single flake was joined by several others, until the sky was filled with flakes and the ground was covered in snow.

“It’th thnowing!” shouted a filly in excitement.

The crowd looked out the window to see that the filly was telling the truth.

“What’s going on here?” rumbled the king. “Summon the Pegasus commander. We will get to the bottom of this…”