• Published 13th Aug 2013
  • 753 Views, 9 Comments

Rarity, Student of Celestia - FluttershyFanatic



Rarity is sure that Nightmare Moon is returning for the Summer Sun Celebration, but Princess Celestia sends her to Ponyville(ugh) to make friends. What could be worse?

  • ...
13
 9
 753

Friendship is Magic, Part One

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together, and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her Unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies. But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger Unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one's heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon. She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night. Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom: the Elements of Harmony. Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister, and banished her permanently in the moon. The elder sister took on responsibility for both sun and moon and harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since.
Rarity closed her book. “What are these Elements of Harmony?” She asked herself. She loaded her saddlebags up and made for her house. “Sweetie Belle!” She called.

“Yes Rarity?” Replied Sweetie.

“I’d like to go to the library.” Rarity said.

“Why?”

“I need a book!” Now Rarity was starting to get exasperated.

“Is it this one?” Sweetie Belle held up Predictions and Prophecies.

“Yes! How’d you know?”

“I didn’t.” Said Sweetie matter-of-factly.

“Can you find “The Elements of Harmony” dear?”

“‘Course I can. It’s right here.” Sweetie then proceeded to read. “The Mare in the Moon, myth from olden pony times. A powerful pony who wanted to rule Equestria, defeated by the Elements of Harmony and imprisoned in the moon. Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about nighttime eternal.

“What!?” Exclaimed Rarity. “But the longest day of the thousandth year is the summer sun celebration! Whatever shall we do!”

“If it makes you feel better I could write to the princess.” Offered Sweetie.

Rarity recovered her dignity. “That would be good.” She said.

Sweetie wrote the note and sent it with her magic. “Now we wait.” Said Sweetie. They sat there for a few minutes. A letter appeared in the room. Sweetie picked it up and read: "My dear Rarity, there is more to a young pony's life than duties, so I'm sending you to supervise the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration in this year's location: Ponyville. And, I have an even more essential task for you to complete: make some friends! “Ponyville.” Said Rarity. “Ponyville.”


“Oh Rarity, no need to be so sad. There is a pony called Twilight Sparkle who is a librarian. You can do some research on “The Mare in the Moon” with her.” Said Sweetie Belle. They were now on their way to Ponyville.

“But Ponyville is so(She shivered) uncouth.” Replied Rarity.
Sweetie laughed. She was used to her sister hating messy things. The two of them arrived in the town. Sweetie produced a list. “Food: Sweet Apple acres.” She said. They made their way to the farm. An pink Earth pony with a very curly pick mane was kicking apple trees and humming.

Rarity walked up to her and tapped her on the shoulder. “Hello! My name is (eyelash flutter) Rarity, and I was sent(dramatic pause) by Princess Celestia to supervise the preparations for...The Summer Sun Celebration!!!”
The pink one stood there a minute and then gasped and ran away.
“Er.” Another pony walked up to her.
“Soup's on, everypony!” She cried. Tons of ponies ran over to them. “Now, why don't I introduce y'all to the Apple family?”

“I don’t think I--"

“This here's Apple Fritter, Apple Bumpkin, Red Gala, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Caramel Apple, Apple Strudel, Apple Tart, Baked Apples, Apple Brioche, Apple Cinnamon Crisp, Big McIntosh, Apple Bloom and Granny Smith.” Said the pony.

“I don’t have anymore time.” Said Rarity.

“Aren't you gonna stay for brunch?” Said a small voice.

Rarity looked for it’s owner. Apple Bloom. She thought. The filly was so disappointed. She couldn’t say no to her. “Yes dear.” Said Rarity. "I’ll stay."
“Yay!” Cried the entire Apple Family.


“Next is weather.” Said Sweetie Belle. “There’s supposed to be a Pegasus Pony named Fluttershy clearing the clouds.” As if on cue, A yellow Pegasus with a slightly curly pink mane and yellow wings for a Cutie Mark crashed into them.

“Oh! I’m so sorry” She said. “Oh goodness, oh goodness.” She produced a storm cloud and jumped on it. This created rain. After a couple of minutes she stopped. “Oh, my oh my I’m so sorry! I’ll fix it!” During this statement she had been flying in circles.

Sweetie Belle burst out laughing.

“Are you Fluttershy?” Asked Rarity.

“How do you know my name!.” Fluttershy squeaked.

“You are in charge of keeping the sky clear.”

“oh.”

“Well, dear, there are at least 20 clouds up there.” Said Rarity.
“Oh, okay just w-wait a m-moment.” The waited a few moments and then Fluttershy who had decided they weren’t going to leave took off and began kicking clouds here, there, everywhere. “A-a-and th-th-that’s that."

“She’s odd.” Said Sweetie.
Then Rarity noticed something. “My hair!” She screamed.


“Decorations. Beautiful.” Said Sweetie.

“I should say so!” Replied Rarity. She saw an orange Earth Pony with an apple with a smiley face as her Cutie Mark and an orange mane that she kept in a ponytail. “Hello! My name is (eyelash flutter) Rarity, and I was sent(dramatic pause) by Princess Celestia to supervise the preparations for...The Summer Sun Celebration!!!” She told the pony. The pony shook her hand vigorously.

"Well, howdy-doo, Miss Rarity, a pleasure makin' your acquaintance. I'm Applejack. We here at Sugarcube Corner sure do like making new friends!"

“I’m not sure--"

“Is there anythin’ I can help you with?”

“I really must get going. I’m awfully late for a er.. um.. a family dinner. er lunch.”

“wait a sec--”

But Rarity was already gone.


After fixing her hair, they were continuing work on the list. “Next is music.” Said Sweetie.

Rarity noticed Harp music. Beautifull! she thought. A blue Pegasus with a rainbow for a Cutie Mark was paying the Harp.

“Ugh! I can’t ever got this note right!”

Rarity walked in. “Hello! My name is (eyelash flutter) Rarity, and I was sent(dramatic pause) by Princess Celestia to supervise the preparations for...The Summer Sun Celebration!!!”

The Pegasus jumped.

“So sorry dear, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

The blue pony spoke. “ I wasn't scared. Just startled."

“Wondrous music.”

The Pegasus spoke again. “My name is Rainbow Dash..”

“Darling, I really must get going.”

“Can we hang out after you're done with your thingy?”

“Um, we really don’t have time.” Said Rarity.

“Bye, Rainbow Dash!” Called Sweetie.
______________________________________________________________

“I think this is Twilight Sparkle’s library.” Said Rarity. She knocked.

“Surprise!!” Shouted EVERPONY.

Rarity felt faint. The pink Earth Pony she had seen earlier walked up to her.

“Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie, and I threw this party just for you! Were you surprised? Were ya? Were ya? Huh huh huh?” She said.

“Dear, is this Twilight Sparkle’s library?” Asked Rarity.

“Yeppie. Y'see, I saw you when you first got here, remember? You were all speechie and I was all (gasp), remember? Y'see I've never saw you before and if I've never saw you before that means you're new, 'cause I know everypony, and I mean everypony in Ponyville! And if you're new, that meant you haven't met anyone yet, and if you haven't met anyone yet, you must not have any friends, and if you don't have any friends then you must be lonely, and that made me so sad, then I had an idea, and that's why I went (gasp)! I must throw a great big ginormous super-duper spectacular welcome party and invite everypony in Ponyville! See? And now you have lots and lots of friends!” Said Pinkie.

“I. Go. I’m. Late. For. Important. Good. Bye.” And with that she left.
______________________________________________________________

Rarity and Sweetie Belle were alone now. Sweetie was looking at the ponyquins and Rarity was looking out the window.

“Oh, I do hope the Princess was right.” Rarity said to herself. “hope it really is just an old ponytale.”

“C’mon Rarity, It’s time to watch the sunrise!” Said Sweetie. The two of them made for the town hall.
______________________________________________________________

“Isn't this exciting? Are you excited, 'cause I'm excited, I've never been so excited-- well, except for the time that I saw you walking into town and I went (gasp)but I mean really, who can top that?” Said Pinkie Pie.

A fanfare was heard. The Mayor stepped onto a stage. There was another one above it, but this one was covered in a curtain.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, as mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!” Said the Mayor.

There was a cheer.

“In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year! And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria...”

“Here we go!” Said Rainbow Dash.

“...Princess Celestia!”

Rainbow Dash payed another fanfare.

Twilight Sparkle opened the curtains with her Magic.

And there was no Princess Celestia!

“Huh?” Said Twilight Sparkle.

Everypony panicked.

“Remain calm, everypony, there must be a reasonable explanation!” Said the Mayor.

“Ooh, ooh, I love guessing games! Is she hiding?” Said Pinkie Pie.

“She’s not there!” Said Twilight.

There was a gasp.

A wisp of purple mist flew onto the balcony and formed into a black Alicorn with bat wings and silver armor.

“Oh dear... it must be Nightmare Moon.” Rarity said to herself.

“Oh, my beloved subjects. It's been so long since I've seen your precious, little sun-loving faces.” Said Nightmare. Her voice was sweet, but evil.

“What did you do with our Princess?!” Cried Fluttershy.”I mean if that’s okay with you please tell us.”

“Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?” Asked Nightmare.

“Ooh, ooh, more guessing games! Um, Hokey Smokes! How about... Queen Meanie! No! Black Snooty, Black Snooty” Cried Pinkie.

“Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?”

“I believe there is one here who has read the signs. I Rarity! You're the Mare in the Moon – Nightmare Moon!” Said Rarity.

“Well well well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I'm here.”

“I suppose you will--you will...”

“Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!” Announced Nightmare, Laughing.
______________________________________________________________



{to be continued}

Author's Note:

This is my first fanfiction. Just sayin'.