• Published 10th Aug 2013
  • 804 Views, 13 Comments

Chaotic Courtship - TheOldPonyFromScene24



When accepting dating advice from a friend, make sure said friend isn't an ancient god of chaos and mischief.

  • ...
4
 13
 804

Chapter 1

Fluttershy slowly, dejectedly shuffled her way to the spa. She peeked her head in, seeing no sign of Rarity, and sat down in one of the waiting room's plush green chairs, letting out a long, sad sigh, her mane covering even more of her face than usual. When Rarity arrived, spring in her step, happily anticipating their weekly treatment, Fluttershy barely felt she had the strength to look up.

“The usu--” Rarity stopped immediately when she saw the look on her friend's face. “...Aloe, Lotus, we may need a rain check,” She told the spa workers apologetically, and hurried to her friend's side. “Fluttershy, darling, what's wrong?”

Fluttershy's eye came up from the floor to meet Rarity's gaze, but almost instantly went back down. She shook her head. Her mouth almost seemed to move, but she didn't say a word.

“Are you sick?” Rarity asked, worried. If anypony would show up sick to something recreational, something that was just fun between friends, just because she didn't want to break the appointment, it would be Fluttershy.

“Rarity...” Her voice cracked and tears welled up in her eyes, making the unicorn feel like her heart was going to tear in half. “Am I broken?” she choked out, barely above a whisper. Rarity felt tears welling up in her own eyes before she threw her hooves around the poor pegasus.

“Girls, I'm definitely going to need to cancel our weekly treatment.” She said, not breaking the hug. “There's something much more important that I need to take care of with Fluttershy.” She finally released her, and nodded toward the door. Fluttershy slowly fell out of the chair and on to her hooves. They made their way to the Carousel Boutique. Rarity found her best friend's pace to be agonizingly slow, though she couldn't say anything, not when Fluttershy still hadn't stopped the rivers of silent tears flowing down her muzzle. Finally, they made it to Rarity's home.

“What's wrong?” Rarity asked her again, stroking her mane comfortingly. Fluttershy shook her head.

“I don't...I can't talk about it...” Her voice was breaking up even more. Whatever had happened, it had turned the already fragile Fluttershy into an utter wreck.

“If you're worried about it being a secret, I'll gladly Pinkie Pie swear that I won't share a single detail without permission...” She continued to stroke her mane, beginning to feel helpless.

“I can't...it hurts...” The silent tears finally had sound to accompany them as she dropped down, laying on the floor, sobbing quietly.

“Fluttershy... I can't help you if you don't talk to me...” Rarity told her, crouching low beside her.

“Everypony always has to help me...I'm broken...” She began crying loudly, frantically into her hooves.

“No, darling! You're not broken... We help you because we're your friends!” Rarity told her, though her reassurances didn't seem to help at all.

“You're my friends...” She wheezed through the tears. “And I'm your burden...” Rarity stared at her in shock. She dashed to the window and threw it open, her magic tugging the tail of the first pony she saw.

“I'm terribly sorry but there's a bit of a crisis going on and I desperately require the aid of my friend. I understand if you're otherwise occupied, but if not, could you please go to the Sweet Apple Acres and tell whatever pony you encounter there that Rarity needs Applejack at the boutique?” The young pegasus blinked a few times at the strange unicorn who'd grabbed her tail, but shrugged, having buck all else to do.

As Rarity waited for Applejack to arrive, she lifted Fluttershy into the air, eliciting a frightened squeak followed by even more intense crying, and brought the pegasus to her room, setting her down on the bed. “There, now.” She gave a weak smile. “Isn't that much better than the cold floor?” She only received more crying as an answer. As AJ arrived, she was brought up to speed on what had happened, talking in the hall right outside the bed room so Fluttershy wouldn't hear them.

“So, why'd you only call me on down ta help with this? Shouldn't all of us be here, supportin' her?” She asked, confused.

“Applejack, she's resisting attempts to reassure her. For whatever reason, I think she feels like she deserves to be miserable right now, and...” She paused, thinking for a moment. “I speak from personal experience when I say that a pony in her state is likely to just imagine anyone trying to reassure her is just lying, just so she'll continue to feel awful.”

“An' y'all think she'll believe me, even when she don't want to?” Applejack seemed skeptical of the idea.

“Why, of course, dear. She doesn't have much choice. You're quite literally the spirit of honesty, after all. She can't make up an excuse for why you'd lie. We can call the others in when she's willing to be reassured. I'll stay out here and give you both some privacy. Just...Remember, even though honesty is important, you must remember to be delicate...” Applejack nodded and walked through the door into Rarity's bedroom, closing the door behind herself.

“Hey, there, Fluttershy. Rarity says y'all got a problem...Talkin' nonsense about how yer...broken...” She sidled up next to the bed, frowning.

“I am broken...I can't do anything...” She was a little less hysterical than she had been, but every word was still littered with choked sobs.

“No, you ain't. You're just fine, Fluttershy. Look, we need you. All of us. Without y'all, we ain't complete. There'd be somethin' missin', and there's no tellin' how quick we'd all fall apart. We count on yer kindness. Without y'all, we'd...we'd turn on each other faster than...than...Well, shucks, we'd turn on each other so fast Ah ain't even got nothin' to compare it to. So of course we're willin' to give y'all a little extra help and consideration. You're an extra special part of the group.” She gave the gentlest, most tender smile she could muster.

“How do I know you're not just lying to me to make me feel better?” Fluttershy asked between sniffles.

“Come on, Fluttershy. You know me better than that. Ah'm tellin' you the TRUTH ta make y'all feel better.”

“...Thank you, Applejack...” She reached over the side of the bed to hug her, though the crying still hadn't stopped.

“Thank YOU, Fluttershy. Yer one of the best friends anypony could ask fer, and we're all--”

“HI!” Pinkie shouted.

“GYAH!!!” Applejack replied, startled, as Fluttershy locked up from the shock. Pinkie Pie looked between them, smile on her lips, but confusion in her eyes.

“Where's Rarity?” She asked, a little worried. All either of her friends could do was slowly lift their hooves toward the door. Pinkie, with no rhyme or reason, squeezed under the door, the universe's strain at her disregard for its rules nearly audible. The door opened, Pinkie pushing in a shocked Rarity. She brought her to a chair, and sat down on the floor, watching her expectantly.

“What in tarnation is goin' on here?” AJ asked, Fluttershy hiding under the covers. Rarity buried her embarrassed face in her hooves.

“Rarity's gonna tell me about the birds and the bees!!!” Pinkie cheered. Everypony present besides Pinkie had a strong blush forming on their cheeks.

“One moment, please.” Rarity said, holding up a hoof, a cracked smile on her face. Her horn glowed, and a pillow, engulfed in the aura of her power, floated to her. The magic pressed the pillow hard to her face, muffling a scream of embarrassment and frustration. She let it fall to the ground once she was done.

“Now, hang on jes' a minute. You're tellin' me a mare your age don't know the facts of life?”

“Oh, she knows. I was as shocked as you were, the FIRST time she came to me to ask for an explanation. Once I'd finished, I found out she knew all along. But she keeps coming back. Every two weeks, I have to tell her. All. Over. Again.” Rarity's voice was dripping with annoyance by the time she finished talking.

“I just love love LOVE the way she tells it! When Twilight told me about it, it was all big words, and she sounded so serious, like a doctor! And Rainbow's version left out all the smarty pants stuff, but that's really important! And Fluttershy didn't say a word, she just sat there!” Fluttershy blanched at Pinkie's words.

“Sheesh, when's the FIRST time y'all had the talk?” Applejack asked, completely dumbfounded.

“Oh, on my parent's farm, when I was a little filly! They HAD to explain it when I started asking questions! You know how it is on a farm, right, Applejack? There's no way a filly's going to spend her whole childhood without seeing something!” Everyone just stared at her.

“Ah...wuh...Y'GREW ROCKS!” Applejack finally said what everyone else thought.

“Really randy rocks!” Pinkie agreed. “Oh, wait, are you upset because I didn't come to ask you? I really would have, Applejack, but once I heard Rarity's version, I just stopped asking other ponies!”

“...Right, well, we'll leave you two to that.” Applejack said, looking at the stock-still fluttershy. She turned away from the bed, stuck a back leg under it, and kicked upward, launching the pegasus onto the earth pony's back, and hurried downstairs.

“Sorry, Ah know that might've been a bit rough, but Ah jes' had ta get outta there, and from the looks of things, so did you.”

“Oh...No, it's alright...” Fluttershy muttered, still slung across Applejack's shoulders.

“...Ah'm sorry we got interrupted. Ah hope ya don't feel...swept under the rug. 'Specially not when you've been feelin' so low.” She eased Fluttershy down onto the floor, and tried to look into her friend's evasive eyes. “What got ya so down in the first place?”

Fluttershy stole a few quick glances at the farmer's face, only enough to understand that it was scrunched up and frowning with worry. “...stallions.” she squeaked, sadly.

“...Stallions? What about 'em?...You feelin' the need to look for a special somepony?” She instinctively ran a hoof through Fluttershy's mane.

“N-no...they...I overheard them...In the market, this morning...Two stallions...” She clenched her eyes shut, small tears leaking out. She spoke in a very quiet hush, and Applejack, leaning in to hear, was thankful that Fluttershy was keeping herself from seeing how close they'd gotten.

“They were talking about Twilight. How she was smart, and, and 'librarian-hot', whatever that means, and so skilled with magic...Before I realized I was eavesdropping, they were talking about Rainbow Dash. How she was so pretty and athletic and strong, and how much they'd like to hang out with her. When they started talking about how perky and fun Pinkie was, I...I realized they were talking about reasons they might want each of you as a very special somepony...”

She sighed, still not opening her eyes, but a few more tears wetting her cheeks. “They said how beautiful and elegant Rarity was...They mentioned how strong and pretty and easy to spend time with you'd be...and then...” Her breath hitched in her throat as she choked out a sob. Applejack had seen this coming. Fluttershy was the only one she hadn't mentioned them talking about. Whatever compliments they'd paid her sweet, kind friend had been the trigger that caused this self doubt. But what would somepony say about wanting Fluttershy to be their special somepony that could make her feel so bad about herself?

“They mentioned that I'd be a problem...” She finally continued. “No matter which one of you they picked, they said that I'd be your baggage, that I'd be weighing everypony down! They talked about how...how...how I'm BROKEN!” She doubled over in tears, burying her face in her hooves. “And they're right! I can't do anything right by myself!” Applejack tried to say something, but couldn't seem to get the words out.

How could anyone say that about Fluttershy? How could she get Fluttershy's focus back on her and off of her sorrow? The indignation built within the farmer, until finally, there was a resounding boom throughout the building. Fluttershy looked up in shock at the angry earth pony, the floorboards splintered under one of her hooves from the force of her stomp. Rarity and Pinkie rushed downstairs, the former shrieking at the damage to her boutique.

“Y'AIN'T BROKEN!” Applejack shouted, finally. She saw Fluttershy shrinking away from her, and reigned in her voice, but while she brought the volume down, she still couldn't hold back her outrage. “There ain't one lick wrong with ya, and if some durned foals can't 'preciate that, it's their loss, not yers. Yer smart, yer pretty, and consarn it, any pony would be LUCKY ta have ya as their own!” She turned to the ponies by the stairs. “Can y'all believe it? Some stallions in the market! Talkin' us up as datin' material, but sayin' that for each of us, Fluttershy'd be BAGGAGE. That...Fluttershy, it's horse apples! No, it's downright road apples!”

Fluttershy squeaked at the vulgarity as she felt Pinkie's hooves around her shoulders, pulling her into a tight hug.

“Don't worry, Fluttershy! When the great flame sweeps across Equestria, they'll be purged in righteous cleansing fire!” Pinkie giggled, cheerful as ever.

Rarity tried her level best to keep herself focused on Fluttershy, and to keep from fainting at the site of the cracked floor. “I...Fluttershy...” She paused and turned to Applejack. She had to take care of this real quick, then the pegasus would have her attention. “...You broke my floor...” She pouted. Applejack looked down at her hooves, and blushed.

“Ah s'pose Ah did...Ah'll pay you back fer the damages. Now, y'all were sayin'?”

“Er, yes, I were. Was!” She cleared her throat. “Fluttershy, you are an amazing friend. Someday, somepony, some colt – or filly! Whichever you desire...Is going to be very, VERY happy with you. I'm absolutely certain. And when that day comes, I would be honored to design your wedding gown.”

Fluttershy took in the things her dear, trusted friends were saying, sitting there on the floor, processing this information. Asserting that I'm smart? That I'm pretty? That any pony would be lucky to have me? The idea that I would be able to make somepony happy? That I might even be married some day? That a great flame was going to cleanse...On second thought, she decided to push that bit to the back of her mind.

“You all really think those things?” Fluttershy asked, trembling, though not even she could tell if it was from fear or a minor surge of excitement.

“Well, Ah can't speak for the others, an' Ah sure as heck hope Pinkie doesn't mean what she said, but y'know Ah don't lie. 'Specially when it's somethin' so important.” Fluttershy nodded at this.

“...Thank you. I think I need something to drink...” She furiously began wiping the dried tears out of her fur, her head aching a bit with how much fluid she'd lost crying. Rarity fetched her a glass of water with her horn.

“Are you feeling alright now?” The unicorn asked her. Fluttershy drank down eagerly, each gulp loudly audible, and letting out a short gasp for air when she finished, blushing.

“I...Yes. I think I'll be alright.” She replied, her smile a very, very tired one.

“Darling, if you're tired, then please, feel free to avail yourself of my bed.” Rarity insisted, smiling tenderly. Fluttershy frowned, her ears drooping down a bit.

“Oh, no, Rarity, you've done so much, I just couldn't possibly impose...”

“No imposition at all, dear! After all, it's not as if I'll be needing it for several hours yet, and I know just how draining something like this can be.” She had already begun to usher Fluttershy upstairs.

“If you need anythin', jes holler.” Applejack said, smiling at the pair as they climbed the stairs. “...And, Ah guess that goes for you, too.” She told Pinkie, who planned to stay behind, eagerly awaiting the talk she was going to have with Rarity.

Applejack headed out the door and started on the way through town, back home to Sweet Apple Acres. As she walked, something seemed stuck in the back of her head. Sure, she believed every last thing she said to Fluttershy, but now that she thought about it, she started to worry. After all, it wasn't what her friends thought that had caused her problems, it was what some random stallions thought. She felt a telltale tingling itch in her withers. Her hat didn't feel like it was sitting quite right. If she didn't get some answers, the question was going to keep expressing itself in odd twinges until she addressed it. She broke into a gallop, heading home.

She swept in the door, headed down the hall, and pushed another door open. Her brother threw something across the room into a trunk, charged over, and slammed the trunk shut, eyes wide, and chest heaving with deep breaths as he tried to calm himself. “...You're lucky Twi never asks me if hers was the doll Gabby Gums caught you with,” she mused, smiling a bit. Even through Big Macintosh's red coat, she could swear she almost made out the tinge of a blush on his cheeks. Still, as much fun as teasing her brother could be, that wasn't why Applejack had come to his room.

She walked over to him and sat down. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and then looked up at her brother. “Big Mac, what do you think of Fluttershy?” She asked him, her brother taken back a bit by the serious look on her face. He paused for a moment to think, noting the smile on her face that appeared when he finally began to speak.

“AJ, you know Ah trust yer judgment. Who y'all spend time with ain't really my business.” He told her, trying to be comforting, though, as she huffed at his answer, he was beginning to think that comfort wasn't what she was looking for.

“That ain't it at all! Ah ain't askin' fer my brother's approval of a friend! Ah'm askin' a stallion his opinion of a mare!”

Big Macintosh thought for a while. “Well...I don't rightly know. She's sweet, an' kind, an' more'n purty enough...But Ah never talked to her...Not more than a friendly hello.” He told her, still contemplating the idea, his ears quirking around a bit as he thought. “Can't say Ah ever really thought 'bout it.”

Applejack stared at him, a little annoyed and a little disinterested. “Ah shoulda known. Y'know, Ah don't know WHAT all them mares in town see in you.” He snapped to attention.

“What? Which mares?” He was almost certainly blushing. Applejack raised an eyebrow, grinning mischievously, ears flat against her head.

“Well, and here Ah was, beginnin' to think my brother didn't care 'bout the mares.”

Macintosh grew flustered, sputtering at this. “'Course Ah care!” He turned away bashfully, looking a little upset.

“Aw, c'mon, Big Mac, y'know Ah'm just teasin'.” She poked him playfully in the chest. “So, really, Ah gotta know, who're you sweet on?” Her brother thought for a moment, a look of worry on his face. “Ah swear Ah won't tell. Ah'll even Pinkie Pie Swear. And then Ah'll tell Pinkie, 'Pinkie, Ah Pinkie Pie swore not to tell anypony who my brother likes.' So you'll know she'll stop me if Ah start to tell anypony.” Her brother let out a long sigh.

“You don't need to do that...Ah'll tell ya.” He looked away, dragging his hoof against the floor a bit. If he ever got the courage to act, he'd want his sister free to help him. He finally found the nerve to regain eye contact. His sister waited patiently, smiling. “Ah...That is, Ah...”

“Take yer time. Chores're done, got nothin' planned, and Ah can't even start ta figure how hard this might be.” She reached up, putting her hoof reassuringly on his shoulder.

“...R...Rainbow.” He finally forced out. “Ah like Rainbow Dash.” Applejack stared, and stifled a surprised giggle, earning her a stern glare.

“Ah'm sorry, just took me off guard...Rainbow Dash, huh? And when exactly did that happen? You two don't exactly spend a lot of time together.”

“...Cider challenge.” He replied, thinking back to their time on the treadmill, running side by side, working to press the apples. He could still remember how hard it was, trying to keep moving as his muscles ached and protested, and how it was even harder to keep from stealing glances at the athlete’s body. Every muscle toned to near perfection, every motion perfectly practiced, graceful and seamless.

Applejack stared as her brother seemed consumed by memories. “Uh...Bro?” He snapped back to the present. “Thought Ah lost you there.” She chuckled. “...So, y'think you'll ever tell 'er?”

Big Mac's ears lay flat, as he looked down at the floor. “Nnnope.” He replied. Applejack frowned a little at how easily he seemed to resign himself to the idea. She thought for a short while, both of them silent.

“Y'remember what you told me back when Ah wanted to live with Aunt and Uncle Orange in Manehattan?” He looked up, confused.

“...'If you really want somethin', go after it. If ya don't, you'll always regret wonderin', and if it don't work out, then...then at least you tried, and that ain't nothin'. And no matter what happens, you'll always have yer family, ready to welcome you home with open hooves.'”

“Ah'm not sayin' you should just run off after her right now...Ah'm sayin'...When you think about whether you'll tell 'er, try to stay positive. Tell yourself either 'yes,' or 'maybe.' And if you do tell her some day, and it don't work out....” She gave him a gentle smile. “Ya said it yourself. 'Then at least you tried, and that ain't nothin.'”

Big Macintosh let these thoughts tumble around in his head for a moment before standing up straighter, confidence becoming visible in his eyes. He wrapped his thick, powerful forelegs around his sister. “Thanks, AJ.”

She hugged back as he squeezed her, patting his back. It was only now that he was not obscuring her view of the clock. “HOOVES 'N HORSE SHOES! How long we been talkin'!?” She pulled back from the hug. He spun and looked at the clock. They rushed to the dining room in a panic. Granny Smith and Apple Bloom wouldn't be saving food for them if they didn't get there in time for supper!

The night wore on after dinner, and Applejack headed to her room, swinging her head to the side, tossing her hat onto the night stand, climbing under the covers, and nestling into her pillow. She blew out the lamp by her bed, and closed her eyes, sighing. Still, she couldn't stop thinking about what had happened with Fluttershy. She sighed, feeling that itch in her withers return.

Something about what she'd said to Fluttershy was still rattling around in her head. It wasn't that she didn't think something she said was true. She believed every last word of it, just as much now as when she'd said it. Fluttershy IS smart. Ah reckon it's 'cause, all the time she spends not talkin', she spends on thinkin' instead. And pretty? Of course she's pretty! Ah don't know much about modelin', but Ah know not just anypony has the looks to make a career outta havin' their picture taken, so Ah can't be the only one that thinks she's a looker. An anypony sure as shootin' would have to be pretty dang lucky to be with her. Ah know Ah'd sure--... Her eyes snapped open as it finally came to her. The thing that felt off wasn't that she'd said something wrong, it was that she didn't realize just how strongly she'd meant the things she had said.

“Oh, sweet skies above...Ah'm sweet on Fluttershy...” She sighed, curling up a little tighter in bed. “...Nothin' to do 'bout it for now.” She told herself, shaking her head, pushing it to the back of her mind. “Always more work in the morning...” She released a long yawn. “Can't be stayin' up all night...thinkin' bout...romantications...”

Applejack awoke to the cock's crow, yawning loudly as she stretched. She grabbed her hat, headed out the door, and got to work. The chickens and the pigs were fed, the eggs were gathered, the cows were tended to, and now it was time for breakfast. Things were a little quiet around the family's table. Granny Smith gathered up the dishes and began washing them.

“Apple Bloom!” She called, smiling, “Take a good look at yer siblin's! One day, when you're all grown up, you're gonna wanna know what it looks like from the outside when yer heart's all tied up in knots over somepony special.” Applejack and Big Mac both rushed out the door before Apple Bloom had a chance to interrogate them, getting to work on their late morning chores, and as soon as she'd finished hers, Applejack headed into town.

Supportive as her brother would certainly be, she didn't know how long she could hold her feelings to herself, and if they were going to come out, she wanted some good advice for how to express them. She opened the door to the Carousel Boutique, a bashful smile on her face as she looked around, before spotting Rarity through the glass, her hoof still on the door. She stepped in and allowed it to swing shut.

“Honestly, how do you get so much done so early? I only just got the door unlocked.” Rarity sighed. “So, I trust this is a social call?” She teased, smiling. “Or has some miracle occurred to bring you here on actual business?”

“...Uh, Ah'm...That is to say...” She fiddled with her hooves nervously. She pulled off her hat and held it to her chest, taking a deep breath.

“Oh, dear heavens. Please, tell me you're not here to confess your feelings to me,” Rarity sighed, her cheeks flushed.

“How'd you know?” Applejack put her hat back on, crestfallen. She had, indeed, come to confess her feelings for Fluttershy.

“Enough ponies have made their awkward attempts at telling me they love me that I've come to recognize it. It's flattering, of course, and while knowing you so well does give you a much better chance than most would have, I'm afraid I just don't feel the same way.”

“...You think Ah...” Applejack burst out, roaring with laughter. She fell to the floor, unable to keep herself up.

“Somehow, this is both the most positive and least composed reaction I've ever witnessed in a pony whose advances I've rejected...” Applejack straightened up, still snickering a bit.

“Oh, thanks, Rarity...Ah really needed that laugh. But it's not you I got feelings fer. Ah just came to you for advice.” Applejack wiped a tear away, smiling.

“Oh! Oh, of course. I understand. I'm not sure how I could've made that mistake... After all, the very idea of you as a fillyfooler would be a pretty difficult pill to swallow, let alone that you'd think we would be romantically compatible.”

“Now what's that supposed to mean?” Applejack's reply was clearly an offended one.

“Oh, come, now, Applejack. Even if we did have those kinds of feelings for each other, we'd hardly be able to make it work. Though I do suppose we sometimes bicker like an old married couple...” She mused.

“Not that! Why can't Ah be...uh...Y'know...”

“A fillyfooler? Apart from the fact that you can barely bring yourself to say the word?” Rarity asked, smirking. “Enough beating around the bush, dear. Just tell me who the lucky stallion is.”

Applejack smiled. She didn't care about her nerves anymore. “Fluttershy.” She replied. Rarity froze in shock.

“I'm sorry?” She finally responded.

“You should be.” Applejack replied firmly, smiling confidently.

“Oh, yes, I...well, now I just feel AWFUL for saying that...Can you ever forgive me?”

“Forgiven and forgotten. Now can y'offer me any advice? You know me, Ah can't keep anythin' quiet fer long... Especially if somepony realizes Ah'm hidin' somethin', and just straight up asks me...” She rubbed her foreleg a bit, feeling her nerves return. “But...Ah mean...it's FLUTTERSHY, y'know? Ah...Ah'm...Imagine it! Somepony tellin' her they love her?”

“Oh, please, Applejack. The worst thing that could happen is that she doesn't return your feelings, and she turns you down delicately. Or would it be her running off and hiding from you...? Hm...”

“Neither.” Applejack interrupted. “The worst thing would be her puttin' her friend's happiness first.”

“Pardon?” The unicorn had a very skeptical tone.

“She's done it before. Remember? Back when she was a model? She was puttin' her happiness after yours. Or, thought she was, at least. In the end, no big deal, 'cause you were both doin' it, but think about if we started goin' out, and she just didn't have it in her to call it off. Or if she only went out with me in the first place 'cause she's tryin' to make me happy! Ah'd never forgive myself if she started throwin' her life away just 'cause she wants me happy, when she could go out and find somepony she REALLY loves instead.” Applejack took a deep breath, trembling after letting out her fears.

“...A fair point...But I must say, you must've spent a long time thinking about that...How long did you know you had feelings for her?” Rarity asked, trying to be as tactful as she could with the question.

“Only just before Ah fell asleep last night, but Ah have thought about it a lot...Mostly just somethin' Ah tend ta worry about with anypony that might be approachin' her with...you know, romantic intents. Wanted to be able to help her get out of it if she needed.” Applejack sighed.

“...Tell her.” Rarity said plainly, a smile on her face. “If you're really certain that you feel that way, then just tell her, and tell her exactly why you want her answer to be honest. Just put absolutely everything on the table, and let her know that you'll still be there for her even if she doesn't feel the same way. And be patient with her. It is Fluttershy, after all.” Applejack took this in, then nodded, confidence coming back to her. She turned to head out the door, then paused.

“Rarity?” She asked, looking back at the unicorn. “Thanks. You're a good friend.”

“Oh, stop stalling,” Rarity teased, grinning. “I hope it works out,” She added softly. Applejack nodded, and left the boutique.

Applejack stared down the road. It wasn't a problem if Fluttershy said no, as long as she only said yes for the right reason. Or at least, the earth pony kept telling herself that. She tried to smile, and it didn't feel right. She tried not to smile and it was so hard to hold it back her cheeks began to hurt. She headed forward, walking at a relaxed pace. Unfortunately, she was anything but relaxed. She sped up a bit into a trot. Then a canter. Finally, she just stopped caring about staying composed and burst into a gallop, startling some of the other ponies on the streets.

With a life time of hard work to back them up, her muscles carried her easily to her destination, with no sense of pain or weariness. She made it to the cottage, and walked up to the door. She took a deep, steadying breath, raised her hoof, and froze instantly as she heard two sounds coming from inside: Fluttershy's gentle giggle, and a male voice, laughing heartily.

Fluttershy had company? Fluttershy? Applejack wasn't prepared for this. This was supposed to be private, and special, and quiet. Whoever she had in there was certainly not quiet. The voice was familiar, and she felt nervous when she heard it, but she couldn't quite place it.

A thought crept into Applejack's mind. A nasty, despicable, traitorous, and totally reasonable thought that made her forget to breath and her heart feel like it was covered in ice. She might have been too late. Somepony else might have made their move and taken away Fluttershy's heart forever.

“I think somepony's at your door.” Applejack jumped, but she was here. She came here for a reason, and it was the same reason that she couldn't leave just yet. She'd see what was what, and then, if Fluttershy was happy, she'd leave them to their joyous life together. The door swung open.

To say Applejack expected the door to be opened was entirely accurate. To say she expected Fluttershy's guest to be the one there, staring at her, might be stretching it a bit. To say she expected to find herself staring at a draconequus would be an almost believable lie. To say she expected him to be wearing a smoking jacket and sunglasses, and holding a cocktail glass, was right out.

“Martini?” Discord offered. Since Applejack just stared, he decided to go ahead and take another sip. The motion, luckily, seemed to snap her out of her daze.

“D-Discord?!” She was flabbergasted! “What are you doin' here?!”

“Well, what I'm doing is drinking a martini and sharing stories. But if you meant to ask why I came here, it's because I felt like visiting my friend.” He took another sip. Fluttershy peeked out from behind him.

“Hi, Applejack.” She said, smiling. She had such a beautiful smile. How had Applejack taken so long to realize she felt this way about her? “....Applejack?” Fluttershy's voice seemed to be prodding a bit, and Applejack silently swore, wondering how long she'd been thinking about Fluttershy's smile. “You didn't do anything, did you?” Fluttershy asked, craning her neck to look up at Discord.

“...I offered her a drink, but she hasn't actually taken me up on it yet. Or even said 'no thank you.' Talk about rude.” He turned and walked over to the sofa, lounging on it, almost looking like his spine wasn't even there, like he was melting to fit his body to the furniture's contours. Finally, Applejack got her mouth and mind back to working together, and best of all, they seemed to be moving at approximately the same speed.

“Ah...Uh...Ah had somethin' to tell you, but it's kinda private, and...” She looked around Fluttershy at the ancient god who had the power to rewrite reality at a whim. “Well, it's nothin' that'll change any time soon, so...Ah might just put a pin in it.” She hated herself for that, but she knew this wasn't a good time.

Discord looked up toward her. He pushed his sunglasses down, staring over the rim, and took a long, slow, slurping sip on his drink, refusing to break eye contact with Applejack. The farm pony had to wrestle her eyes off of him and back to Fluttershy, who looked confused and worried.

“A-are you sure it can wait? We can go for a walk and you can tell me, if you want to...Oh!” She whipped her head around. “I mean, if...if you don't mind?” She asked Discord. The draconequus had conjured into existence a toy boat with each of their cutie marks on the sail. He inspected it with a critical eye.

“Go right ahead. I need to see if this floats anyway.” He told them, smirking at his little pun, enjoying the loud wooshing noise the joke made as it soared over their little pony heads. Applejack and Fluttershy shared a perplexed look before heading out the door, walking around the back of the cottage.

Several rolling slopes lay ahead, the green grass broken up by small smatterings of wild flowers all the way to the edge of the Everfree forest. They walked along the hills in silence, Applejack trying to regain the nerve to express herself to Fluttershy, and Fluttershy being either too patient or too meek to press her on what she wanted to talk about. Applejack looked over at the other mare, noting her encouraging, gentle expression.

“An' there's one more reason...” She muttered, red coming through the orange fur on her cheeks. The blush intensified as the look on Fluttershy's face was replaced with a slightly more quizzical one. She sighed. “Ah need to talk to you about what Ah said yesterday.” She finally said, looking down at a few flowers by her hooves.

Fluttershy felt a wave of panic quickly crash on her as she considered that perhaps Applejack HAD simply been trying to placate her, but the tide of fear quickly ebbed as she shook the idea from her head. Applejack was honesty. There was no chance that it was the case. She opened her mouth to encourage her friend onward, but stopped as she heard Applejack take a deep breath.

“Somethin' about what Ah said bothered me. Didn't know why. Finally came to me when Ah was lyin' in bed, about to go to sleep...” She paused and looked up at the pegasus. “Now, wipe that frown off your face. You know Ah meant every word. Ah just...” Her gaze went straight to the flower again. “Didn't know how much Ah meant it...” She paused again, trying to organize her thoughts.

“Ah like you, sugarcube. Ah don't know how Ah missed it for so long, but it hit me like a ton of bricks last night, and Ah know there's no two ways about it...But Ah'm scared. A little scared that y'all won't like me back, but...Mostly Ah'm just terrified that you might end up goin' along with it just 'cause you think it'll make me happy. Ah don't want to wake up one morning down the road, in a relationship, and find out that you weren't never into fillies to begin with. Ah...” Her voice began to quaver, and the very thought was bringing tears to her eyes. She squeezed them shut, trying to will the tears away, but they just spilled out onto her cheeks. “Ah don't think Ah could take that,” As she finished, she wiped the tears off her face furiously, her voice not just cracking, but shattering with emotion. She took a few deep breaths to steady herself.

“So, there you have it. Ah ain't gonna ask you to tell me anythin' right away. Not unless you really ain't into fillies.” She finally looked up for the second time since her confession began, to see a hoof pressed to Fluttershy's mouth, and tears flowing down her cheeks. “...Ah'm sorry. Ah know you weren't expectin' this, and Ah just went and sprung it on you...But you got no reason to rush. Alright? If you wanna think on it, you know you can always come find me later.” She paused, worried, but finally moved forward, bringing her tail up to dab away pegasus tears.

“I...I...” Fluttershy was frozen, stuck on that one word. She struggled and pushed, but nothing else would come out.

“No need to push yourself. Ah ain't in a hurry. Ah'm a farmer, remember. Sometimes you plant a seed, it can take years before you even get one piece of fruit.” She told her, smiling. And still, that smile persisted as she continued, though her voice sounded a bit weaker. “And...Sometimes it don't bear no fruit at all. But that's fine, 'cause ya gotta take the rough bits with the smooth ones. Whatever you decide, Ah'll abide by it. And...Ah can't believe Ah forgot to make sure Ah said it sooner, but no matter what happens, we'll still be friends. So there's no worry there, alright?” She stood there awkwardly, staring at Fluttershy. The pegasus' hoof had left her mouth, and now rested against her chest, as she took multiple quick, deep breaths.

Even once she'd calmed herself, Fluttershy found them both stuck in an awkward silence, staring at one another. She had no idea what to say! No idea what to do! Silently yet frantically she wished for a distraction, and somewhere in the distance behind Applejack, a friend answered the call. A flash of cyan passed just overhead, followed first by a rainbow contrail, and second by a powerful gust of wind that sent Applejack's hat tumbling off. The headwear smacked right into Fluttershy's face, eliciting a startled yelp as she panicked and pulled it off, holding it out to the earth pony. She wasn't certain what she was trying to say as Applejack accepted her hat and replaced it upon her head, but it only manifested as quiet squeaks and whines.

“Ah guess Ah've eaten enough of your time. Ah can wait as long as you need me to, for a yes OR a no.” She gave Fluttershy a very small smile, and stepped past her, then, with a resounding thunk at the back of her head, she fell to the ground in a heap. She tried to move her hoof, to rub the back of her skull, thinking it'd almost certainly been cracked open by the force of whatever that was, but she could barely get her leg up. It felt like somepony had just chucked a bowling ball at her! Glancing up a bit, she realized she wasn't far from the truth, as Tank's oddly blurry form followed his master.

Fluttershy stood over her, eyes wide, both of her front hooves pressed to her mouth to suppress a gasp. Finally, this new silence, painful and worrying, was broken.

“.....owwwwwwwwwww.” Applejack whimpered. She looked to Fluttershy, almost asking her for a hoof to help her up, but before she got the chance, the pegasus had taken off as fast as her wings could carry her, zipping through the air toward her cottage.

Applejack felt tired. She knew she probably had a concussion, and couldn't risk falling asleep, especially right after the blow. Growing up, rough housing with a Little Macintosh who didn't know his own strength taught her all about head trauma. Fluttershy'd been gone for a little while, and Applejack prayed she wasn't hiding, or running from the confession, now that she knew there was no way she'd be followed. Still, as her mind kept revisiting that scenario, she felt like it became more and more likely. She sighed, closing her eyes. “Gotta stay 'wake...” She muttered. Over and over, she chanted. “Gotta stay 'wake...” When she felt a freezing cold pressure at the back of her head, her eyes shot open. Her body tried to jump, but just sort of flailed, grinding her face into the ground.

“Oh dear! Please don't move so much!” Fluttershy begged, putting the ice pack to Applejack's head again.

“Fluttershy...Tank's really hard...” She replied, having trouble moving her jaw with all the dirt under it. “Think Ah got a concu...concussion...” As soon as she finished speaking, panicked hooves started pulling her eyelids wide open, those beautiful shimmering blue pools staring at her.

“Follow the feathers.” Fluttershy instructed, her voice shaking as her wingtip came into Applejack's field of vision. She deliberately led her gaze a little close to the sun, paying careful attention to the size of Applejack's irises. She'd never had to take care of a pony with head trauma before, but that didn't mean she wasn't accustomed to helping animals who'd taken similar knocks. She just had to keep telling herself that, once she was done, she could be as scared as she wanted. She just had to get Applejack through this first.

“Can you remember what happened?” She asked her, her voice still shaking. She was desperately trying not to panic.

“Rainbow flew past. Tank was followin' her. Ah got in Tank's way. Ah dropped like a sack a' taters.” She answered, mumbling, her chin still pressed to the ground. “And before you ask, name's Applejack and we're behind your cottage.” Memories of paramedics from the few times Little Macintosh had underestimated himself yielded the questions she was always asked, and the answers came easily.

“Have you felt like you might throw up?”

“...From about the time Ah started talkin', up till Tank hit me, but nothin' that weren't nerves,” She mumbled into the grass. Fluttershy turned around, her hooves busy with something. She turned back toward her, holding up a hoof.

“How many blades of grass?” She asked, frowning.

“Seven.”

“And are they very blurry?”

“Woulda been, moment while ago...Feelin' better. Think it was just a scare...Just dazed.” She began to try to stand, but Fluttershy stopped her. She felt hooves picking up the ice pack that had been resting against her head. She felt them very gently pulling her mane to the side. She felt them prodding oh so tenderly near her neck, most likely checking to see if it hurt Applejack at all, and finally, she felt them under her chest, helping her to stand.

“Thanks, Fluttershy...For helpin' me, and...well, for hearin' me out. Ah think Ah need ta get somethin' in my belly, and lay down for a bit.” She gave her a nervous smile before walking back to Sweet Apple Acres. Fluttershy just stood there, watching her go, wishing she had an answer for her. She put the ice pack back in her first aid kit and carried it home to her cottage. Discord was on the couch, as he'd been when she'd come to get the kit in the first place, but this time she noticed binoculars by one of the back windows. Her face turned bright red, but it could've just as easily been that her friend the draconequus had put them there as a joke.

“Um,” She struggled for something to say. Finally, a nice, polite question came to her. “Did your ship float?”

“Not sure yet. Have to observe it more. Do you mind if I stay here for a few days?” It was an odd request, and even odder still was his answer to the question she'd asked. How could he not be sure if it floated or sank? Still, odd as he was, he was her friend, and she was happy for the company.

They spent the evening chatting and smiling, and even shared a light dinner. If he hadn't been a draconequus, this probably wouldn't have even been possible. Not with how intimidated she could be by other ponies, at least. She didn't feel especially at ease with him, not when compared to her friends, but that they'd gotten to know each other so well could only be attributed to the fact that he had never been a strange pony, even when he'd been a stranger. They whiled away the hours, and finally, Fluttershy needed to get some rest. She went up to her bed, pulled back the covers with her teeth, climbed in, and pulled them back up over herself. She let out a tiny, quiet yawn, and sighed, snuggling into her bed, giving herself up to sleep.

Sleep didn't take her. Applejack's words, from both yesterday and today, floated through her head. She liked spending time with Applejack, but that didn't help. She liked spending time with all of her friends. She considered the possibility that maybe she wasn't into mares, only liking stallions, but in retrospect, even though this had been started by a pair of young stallions, she'd really never actually given much thought to whether she preferred them over mares, or vice versa. Then again, she'd only ever really spent time with her friends. She wished she could think of some way to know if she had feelings for a pony. If Applejack only realized it the night before, maybe she had feelings for Applejack she didn't know about?

She sighed, tossing, turning, and wishing she could fall asleep. She heard a knock at her door. “Oh, sorry,” she got up, opening it. “Was I being too loud?” Discord shook his head.

“No. What's bothering you?” He asked, though his spying had already revealed the answer. He felt it would just be polite to ask.

“...I keep trying to figure out how I feel about somepony.” She replied, pretty darn sure he already knew what was going on. “And I don't know how to tell.”

“Well, stop thinking about how you feel about her,” he instructed, “And start thinking about her. But pay attention to how you feel.” She looked a little impressed by his oddly wise-sounding advice. She gave him a quick hug.

“Thanks, Discord.” He nodded, closed the door, and went back down to the sofa. Fluttershy climbed back into bed, yawning. She really needed her rest, and Applejack said she could take all the time she needed. So why couldn't she convince herself that it didn't need to be figured out so soon?

Because Applejack deserves an answer, She decided. She trusted me with this, and if I make her wait too long, it's not fair to her... She deserves an honest answer, as soon as I can give her one. She sighed. Taking Discord's advice, she focused on the pony, and what thinking about her made her feel, rather than focusing on what feelings she thought she might have. Unfortunately, she wasn't entirely sure where to start.

She thought about the arrival of Nightmare Moon. She cowered in terror, but Applejack had not only managed to keep a cool head, but kept both Rainbow and Pinkie from getting themselves attacked. When she had to take care of Applebuck season on her own, she didn't cancel any of the things she'd had planned. She was stubborn sometimes, but not unbearably so. No, more than that, she was dependable. She was honest, hard working, and no matter what problems she was facing, she always found time for her friends.

Fluttershy felt safe and comfortable as she thought about Applejack, but as she kept thinking, she felt her nerves starting to kick in. It wasn't the normal kind of nervous, though. It was as if she was full of some strange kind of energy and joy that only knew how to be expressed as nervousness. There was an unfamiliar warmth in her stomach, and she was certain she'd found her answer. Probably. Maybe only half certain. However certain she was, it was as certain as she'd ever felt about anything. It was all she could do to keep from flying out the window, waking up Applejack, and telling her, but she convinced herself that they each needed to get their sleep.

The sun rose far too early, and were Applejack more bold and less forgiving, she might have found herself silently cursing their benevolent ruler. She had a splitting headache even without the Tank bruise. She stumbled out of bed, rolling her neck and enjoying the satisfying pops and cracks it made. Alright, let's get some a' these chores done, have some breakfast, finish up everything else, and then you can take a little nap.

Willing to accept the deal with herself, she made her way downstairs and out the door. Pigs slopped, eggs gathered, cows tended, chickens fed, she went back in for breakfast. She thanked the skies above that her sister still hadn't started asking about what Granny Smith said during yesterday's breakfast as she started filling her plate. The massive welt she came home with seemed to do a wonderful job of distracting her. Just as she started to eat, there was a knock at the door. Big Mac's mouth was already full of food and Apple Bloom was pretending not to hear it. Rather than force Granny Smith to take care of it, she pushed her chair out with a sigh, and headed for the door. She put on the best smile she could manage and pulled it open.

“What can Ah do for—Fluttershy!” Her smile became much more genuine when she saw the pony in front of her.

“I...I just...wanted...” She punctuated her greeting with a nervous squeak. Her voice left her. Her mouth moved, and her cheeks reddened as she realized that nothing came out of it. She jumped as she snapped back to the world around her, a comforting hoof on her shoulder.

“Easy there, sugarcube. Ah ain't gonna bite.” Applejack stared into her eyes, and in them Fluttershy saw the very same nerves she was struggling against. She felt a little better, but she still wasn't sure how to share her news. Her voice didn't seem keen on returning to her, but she was so excited to tell Applejack. Surely there was some way to communicate her feelings! The seconds were dragging on and she still hadn't managed to say anything. She felt desperation building as she frantically sought some way to tell her. Before she even realized what she was doing, she found her lips pressed against Applejack's.

She pulled back and stared at the ground, her ears and cheeks bright red. Finally, her voice returned. “I'm so sorry!” She said, frowning. Applejack's dazed grin washed away her fears. She couldn't help but giggle at the look on the earth mare's face.

The sound of Fluttershy's gentle giggle elicited a chuckle from Applejack, but somewhere behind her, another voice interrupted their shared moment. “AJ! If you don't hurry up, Ah'm eatin' your breakfast!”

“...We'll talk more later.” Applejack assured Fluttershy, as she dashed back to the table to protect her meal from Apple Bloom. Fluttershy knew deep down that she should feel terrible for pulling Applejack away from a meal, but she just couldn't. She sighed happily as she turned back toward her cottage, and headed home. She'd taken the time to feed her friends, even making Discord something, but only now did it occur that she'd yet to eat anything herself.

Author's Note:

I have restored some parts of the accent to its prior state because I figured out something I could do with it! HOORAY FOR IDEAS!