• Published 7th Aug 2013
  • 1,254 Views, 55 Comments

Another Day - PonyTom



When the Mane Six (and Big Mac) go camping, things take a turn for the worse fast.

  • ...
3
 55
 1,254

A Hero's Honour

It was a beautiful day in Ponyville.

The sky was blue, there was hardly a cloud in the sky. Everypony in town was gathering near town hall - this was an event that had been in the making for the past two weeks, after all. Ponies left and right were mumbling and talking about the situation, some not entirely aware of what was even being celebrated, others enthusiastic, especially those who had been there to witness the spectacular event. It had been the talk of the town ever since, after all. A podium rested on the stage, with ponies milling back and fourth trying to make sure everything was set up.

Around town, there were banners and posters announcing the event - the recognition of a hero, a celebration of his bravery, as well as the well-being of a beloved townspony, and a celebration of life in general.

Mayor Mare stood, dressed in her usual collar and glasses, across from Twilight Sparkle just off stage. Twilight Sparkle wore her crown - none other than the famed Element of Magic - a pair of regal horse shoes, and a ruby hanging from a gold cloth around her neck.

"Ladies? Gentlecolts? May I have your attention please?"

Everypony stopped to turn to face the mayor of Ponyville, who had taken the podium. Twilight trotted to the side of the podium and took a seat, staring out at the crowd. She had seemed to make a complete recovery from her ordeal - she didn't even seem to need a splint for her wing anymore. Mayor Mare cleared her throat to make sure she had as many ponies' attention as possible. "Ponies? Listen up!"

Everypony stopped and looked to the stage.

"We apologize for the delay, but it seems our guest of honor has yet to arrive. Please bear with us while we wait for him?"

***

"Oh Big Mac, stop bein' a foal an' jus' go on up to the stage!"

Applejack groaned as she spat on her hooves and pressed down on her brother's mane, much to the disgust of Rarity. "Dear, you know there are better and more proper ways to brush a mane..." she levitated a brush from her saddlebags and pushed it through the orange hair, until it was perfect. "There!"

"Ah dunno... th... there's lots of 'em, an' they're gonna be lookin' right at me..."

"Now? Of all times, ta get stage fright?" Said Applejack with a scowl. "Big McIntosh, Ah know yer shy, but ya've never had a problem with big crowds long as they wasn't pryin'. What's so different this time?"

"They are pryin'..." gulped Big Mac. "Ah'm gonna be in front of everypony, they're gonna all be starin' at me.... " If Big McIntosh was to be honest... he had never been on a stage before in his life. At least, nothing that wasn't competitive. When he was in a rodeo or performing some other competitive sport, he could distract himself; now he was going to be horribly aware that everyone was looking at him.

Judging him.

"Ah promise, Big Mac. Big Mac? Lookit me." Big Mac let his eyes look to his sisters'. She stared at him with a look of pure caring and kindness - a love of a sister for her brother. She smiled to him. "It's gonna be alright."

He nodded a bit, taking a deep breath. "Alright... alright... Ah'm.... Ah'm gonna do it then..."

Applejack smiled. "Good. Now get on out there, 'hero.'"

"Indeed! If anypony deserves this, it's you!" chimed Rarity.

McIntosh nodded and took another breath to steel his resolve.

***

Mayor Mare sighed, staring at all the ponies. "Is he coming? Did we get any word of any kind that he might be late...?"

"No, Mayor Mare" said an aid; a pink pegasus with a blue mane. "Maybe he's just having trouble getting here? Maybe... wait... is... is that him?" The mare nodded her head behind the mayor.

Mayor Mare turned around and sighed in relief. "Oh thank goodness, he's here."

The red stallion slowly made his way towards the two mares. The splotches of missing hair in his coat had begun to grow back, although at present was little more than fuzz that made him seem just a darker shade of pink than actually being red in some spots. He hadn't dressed up at all, really; the greatest extent he went being that he was wearing a green bow tie - it was mostly a stand in for his yolk, which he could not wear due to the strain he was told it would put on his neck and withers. He still had casting on some of all but his front left leg - Applejack had begged him to let her push him in a wheel chair, but he would not have it. The last thing he wanted was to look week in front of everypony in Ponyville. The doctors had even said he should be able to do it, so long as he didn't push himself too hard.

He had to admit, his whole body ached with almost every move.

He was told that would go away eventually too, but it didn't help it right now.

"Everypony is waiting for you, McIntosh! Let's get you up on that stage and ready to recieve your praise!"

"Eeyup..."

McIntosh followed the mare at a slow, steady pace, as she climbed up the stairs and made her way towards the podium. He took a seat to her side. Applejack had soon arrived with their grandmother and Apple Bloom, taking seats to his side, each giving him silent praise and congratulations. Looking to the other side, McIntosh saw Twilight in a more formal getup than she usually dared to wear, seeing Spike by her side, as well as a white-coated unicorn stallion with a blue mane, a pink alicorn princess, a dark-blue coated unicorn stallion, and a white coated unicorn mare.

"Everypony! May I have your attention?"

The chatter among the crowd grew quiet.

"Thank you."

Mayor Mare cleared her throat and looked out over the crowd of ponies. "Citizens of Ponyville. We are gathered here today to honor one of our own. In recent years, Ponyville has been said to be a home of heroes - a place where ponies of greatness are born, and shine among Equestria. Indeed, I dare say that the pony we are here to honor today exemplifies this belief. A pony who threw himself into harm's way to save our very own Princess Twilight Sparkle. The pony we are honoring, however, is not a member of the Fire Department, or of the Royal Guard... no... he is an every day pony, like you or I, who went above and beyond expectation.

We are here to give our thanks to, and honor, McIntosh Apple of Sweet Apple Acres."

The crowd began to stomp and cheer - Big McIntosh blushed a bit at the sight of so many ponies shouting for him. He could even see a sign in the crowd that said 'We Love You, Big Mac!' He also saw a sign saying 'Big Mac for Mayor', though he didn't think that was right at all - not only did he not want to be mayor, but he didn't want to take the job of the existing mayor, who was doing a spectacular job.

He also saw a sign that said 'I Heart Muffins'. Had no idea what that was about.

"Now, before we continue with the proceedings, a few ponies wanted to share their thoughts on our newest hero, beginning with Prince Shining Armor." The crowd began to cheer as the Mayor stepped to the side of the stage, taking her seat right next to Twilight Sparkle. The white unicorn stallion stood up and trotted towards the podium, sitting on his haunches and clearing his throat.

"Thank you, Mayor" said the stallion as he turned his attention to the crowd. "And thank you, Ponyville." He gave a nod and seemed to pause to gather his thoughts.

"We all hear ponies talk about other ponies and call them heroes. We hear the word so often, we never seem to bother ourselves with the meaning of the word. But what is a hero? What makes a pony a hero? Is it a random act of kindness? Is it a feat of strength?" He seemed to smile a bit and shook his head. "I think it's both... yet neither. A pony who donates to charity might be a good pony... there is no arguing that... and a pony who feeds the homeless is a kind soul, nopony will debate that either... but... at least in my eyes... a hero is somepony who goes above and beyond what is asked of them. A hero is a pony who puts themself in very real danger to save somepony else. A hero is a pony who puts themselves at risk so that another might live. A hero stands tall, fights fear, and does courageous things that most of us wouldn't even dream doing."

The stallion turned to McIntosh. "A hero is this pony. McIntosh Apple."

"Imagine the look on my face when Princess Celestia had sent us a message saying my sister had not only fallen ill, but had been trapped in her home while it burned. I was so scared that my Princess had to remind me to finish reading the letter!" Everypony chuckled a bit at this, although McIntosh could see clearly there was no joke in what Shining had said. "I was shocked to read that another pony had saved her, and that he himself was in danger. From what I was told, they didn't think you would make it at first..."

Big Mac was surprised to hear that. Nopony told him any such thing. He turned to look at Applejack who smiled nervously - she would have to explain that to him later.

"... Due to my obligations to the Chrystal Empire, I was displeased that I could not thank you as soon as I had heard you had woke up. While many ponies here think of you as a savior of a Princess, a national hero, and an icon, I think of you as the stallion who..." He seemed to stop. Big McIntosh wasn't sure but... was he... crying?

"... who saved my little sister." His lips trembled. He slowly seemed to regain his composure, coughing a bit and shaking his head. "Ahem... in one act of bravery... you protected so much more than you know. Saved so much more than you could imagine. McIntosh Apple, as far as I am concerned you are more than just a hero. I personally see you as a friend that I have yet had the pleasure to get to know better."

Everypony stomped their hooves in applauds as the Prince moved towards the large farm stallion, offering a hoof. The two shook hooves, and with that, Shining Armor returned to his seat, to be replaced by Twilight Sparkle herself, who smiled out to the crowd as they silenced themselves.

"I've seen a lot of things in my very short time in Ponyville..." began Twilight as she considered her thoughts. "I've faced down tyrants, I've combated spirits, and I've even gone to Tartaurus and back - literally!" Everypony chuckled at this. "... But... I never imagined a point where I couldn't save myself. Where my friends would not be able to help me. Where I was truly and utterly powerless. And when I was caught in that building, with the smoke filling my room... I honestly thought I was done for."

Everypony seemed to become more somber.

"Imagine my surprise when I heard somepony shout my name." She smiled a bit, looking towards McIntosh, then back to the crowd. "Hope had come back to me... and at the same time, I felt guilty. I had forgotten that this is a world full of brave ponies. Unsung heroes, just waiting to be noticed. Ponies who nopony assumes, who have the hearts of heroes, who would do great things at a moment's notice. This stallion not only saved my life... he reminded me of the power we all have. The courage we can all know if we dig deep."

She turned to him. "McIntosh Apple. You are an inspiration to all of us, and to myself. As a Princess of Equestria... it is my honor to bequeath upon you this medal of heroism. Please, rise."

Big Mac watched as a royal guard approached the stage and handed her a pillow - on that pillow was a golden medal, and on that was a pony holding a spear, rearing up. He stood up and approached her, suddenly feeling the weight of the situation shift oddly as Twilight Sparkle took it in her hooves, rather than with her magic, much to McIntosh's surprise. He lowered his head, and she slide it over, carefully. As she drew her hooves back, he raised his head and looked down at the gold medal hanging from his neck. The entire crowd went berserk with cheers and shouts. Big Mac looked to them and smiled a bit.

So this is what it felt like to be a hero?

"And now, I do believe it is our guest of honor's turn to speak, if he'd like?"

Big McIntosh had to speak now. There was no way he couldn't. He nodded and stepped towards the podium. The crowd quieted down and he looked out at all the faces - some familiar, many not-so-much. He pondered upon his thoughts for a minute, wishing he had pre-made a speech.

"... Ah'm sorry that Ah ain't got no speech prepared... never was good at talkin'... so Ah hope nopony minds if Ah wing it?"

A few chuckles, but not of the kind he feared before.

"... Ah'm just a simple farm colt. Ah never had any dreams of grandour, of becomin' a hero, of savin' the day an' becomin' a house hold name..." He smirked and shook his head. "Most Ah ever thought about doin' was gettin' a college education..." he stopped for a bit and seemed to consider himself again. "... Ah dunno... Ah suppose that Ah even surprised mahself. Even to this day Ah tell mahself how incredibly stupid what Ah did was, an' how incredibly lucky Ah am to be alive to give this speech." A few more chuckles. "... Ah had good folks who taught me that bravery is not somethin' a pony does when he's not afraid. Courage ain't somethin' you wave around like a stick. It's bein' afraid, an' doin' it anyway. It's knowin' what yer doin' might not work out, and goin' with it because you know if you don't... somepony's gonna have to pay."

He sighed a bit and looked up to the sky. He could picture them smiling. "... Ah dunno if Ah think of myself as a hero... and Ah'm certain Ah'm more foolish than brave... but at the end of the day... to see so many smilin' faces... to see how many ponies are so happy that I done what Ah did..." He blinked a few times and smiled again. He let one tear escape him, though his expression did not change. "Ah'm fairly sure Ah'd do it all over again."

With that, the entire crowd burst once more into cheers and stomps of approval, even louder, if possible, than the previous go. Twilight Sparkle approached Big Mac, who held his hoof out to shake hers, but instead she went past it and gave him a hug. 'Sure is affectionate ain't she?' He didn't mind though, he kindly returned the gesture. He received hoof shakes from what he found out to be her parents as well, who expressed their gratitude for his kindness and thanks for his efforts (his mother even telling him how handsome he was, which he admitted made him blush a bit).

The crowd dissolved into various directions to enjoy the food that had been catered by none other than Sugar Cube Corner, with Pinkie Pie bouncing around joyfully cheering and singing. He wasn't much for parties himself, but he did enjoy the free food. He let his mind wander about the events of the day, the events of those crazy few days, and other matters of importance.

All in all... it has been a good month.

***

"Well, how does it feel, Mister Hero?"

"Hm?"

"To be a hero?"

Six ponies sat around a table, cards in hoof, eyes on cards. "Ah dunno. Good?"

"Just good huh?" said Lyra, smirking. "Not fantastic? Not awesome? I mean, ponies are practically gonna worship the dirt you trot on for a while now. Surely that's gotta give you SOME kind of ego boost?"

Big Mac put a hoof to his chin. "Hmm.... nope."

Lyra shrugged. "Tell ya what, if I was considered a hero, I'd be milkin' that baby for all it was worth. I'd get a hat that said 'Hero' and get T-Shirts for my friends that said 'My best friend nearly died saving a Princess and all I got was this lousy shirt."

Big Mac chuckled and shook his head. "Can't ya do that anyway? After all, you'd get to wear it."

The unicorn hummed. "Good point. I'll get right on that next morning."

"All in"

"Looks like Caramel is ready to lose."

Rainbow Dash cleared her throat. "Big Mac, I wanted to say something."

"Hm?"

"I wanted to apologize for the uh... thing that happened that day."

Big Mac quirked a brow. "... What thing?"

Rainbow Dash bit her lip. "You know... the thing..."

Big Mac hummed. "Nnnnooooooo Ah'm not really sure Ah follow..."

Rainbow blushed. "You know...." she lowered her voice hoping the others wouldn't hear. "The kiss..."

Big Mac grinned. "Told y'all she kissed me."

"Well, I'm out twenty bits..." said Lyra.

"So am I..." said Snowflake.

"Woo! I'm forty bits richer!" shouted Caramel.

Lyra stuck her tongue out. "Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm sure those will be MY bits by the end of the night."

Rainbow Dash's jaw hanged open. "Wh... what do you... what's going on!?"

Lyra rolled her eyes. "Oh, I'm just gonna say it. We all thought you had a crush on Applejack. We were pretty sure when Big Mac told us you speared his face with your tongue he was just trying to defend your heterosexuality, but I guess he was telling the truth. Honestly, I didn't think we'd ever learn, then you just offer Caramel's victory on a silver platter."

The pegasus mare sighed and hung her head, before grinning and realizing there was a way to turn the attention. "So! How's things goin' with Fluttershy, Snowflake?"

The larger Pegasus seemed to stiffen up. "Uhh... she's cute and all... but I think she just thinks of me as a friend. Either that or she is woefully unaware of my advances..."

Rainbow Dash let out a loud laugh. "Yeah! Sounds like her. You might have to be blunt, otherwise she'll just think you're just being nice."

Caramel grinned. "Oh you poor souls. I'm the worst player at cards maybe, but I'm the only one of us who's dating. It seems I win at life."

"I think I read somewhere once that ponies who throw about their relationship statuses as some sort of victory tend to have insecurity issues... is everything alright with you and your marefriend?"

Everypony turned to look at the newest member of their little group. Twilight Sparkle looked around at everypony else over her cards, which levitated in a magical field. "Uhh... er... what?"

Rainbow Dash smirked. "Egghead."

Big Mac shook his head. "Twilight, ya gotta remember, Caramel takes pride in his relationship with his marefriend..."

"Darn straight I do!"

"It's all he has!"

"Darn s- wait a minute..."

Everypony broke into laughter, save for Caramel, who stuck his tongue out and stared at the four aces in his hoof. "Yeah yeah, I lose every time, I get it..."

Author's Note:

Altered the ending because after posting this I had a better idea. :D