• Published 5th Oct 2011
  • 1,565 Views, 6 Comments

Aftermath - Longshanks



The Great War Against Discord is finally over, but at what cost?

  • ...
 6
 1,565

Chapter One

A medical tent was frightening for any pony, but these past few weeks had been especially hard on Fluttershy. The timid Pegasus was eager to help in any way she could, but this was different from mending a mouse’s hurt paw or curing a sick ferret. These were her fellow ponies getting hurt out there, in a real war with real injuries. Every day brought new horrors- just this morning she’d held the hoof of a white Pegasus whose wings had been badly singed. It was Cloudkicker, the cute, outgoing new recruit to the Air Corps. The expectant look on the poor mare’s face, and the grim news that she would never fly again, were more than Fluttershy could bear. While Nurse Redheart comforted the sobbing pony, she stepped outside into the cold, rainy morning.

“’Scuse me, ma’am,” drawled a low voice behind her, making her jump five feet in the air.
“Oh, um… hello…” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Ah beg your pardon, didn’t mean to startle ya. Big Mac’s the name, and Ah’m in charge of the defenses ‘round these parts. The Mac’s short for Macintosh, if you’re wonderin’.” Fluttershy looked up for the first time. The red colt in front of her must’ve easily been seven feet tall. Around his neck were a heavy wooden yoke and a tarnished medal, and scars covered his muscular frame. However, his eyes were kind and he was very polite, and Fluttershy knew that this was a pony she could talk to. “Oh… hello,” she said. “Um… My name is Fluttershy…”

The Pegasus and the earth pony sergeant walked through the camp, occasionally stopping to give an encouraging word to Fillydelphia’s beleaguered garrison. The Pegasus Corps had suffered the hardest- only a few of them sat around the fires, huddling under blankets or clutching mugs of strong tea. There were dark circles under their eyes- most of the army hadn’t slept in days. Big Macintosh led the way to the mess hall, where they collected a mug of tea apiece. Fluttershy took a sip and almost spit it back out. The tea wasn’t very good quality, but it was a nice gesture nonetheless. She smiled up at the earth pony. “Thank you. This is… wonderful.”

The two ponies sat down under a nearby oak tree, away from the hustle and bustle of the encampment. “Now then, Miss Fluttershy, what’s troublin’ ya? Ah couldn’t help but notice that ya seem a mite down.” Fluttershy raised her head, peeking out from behind her mane. “Well, um, you see…”

And just like that, it all came pouring out. Her concern for her friends on the front lines, the heart- wrenching events of the medical tent that morning, the constant fear of-well, everything these days. Much to her surprise, the big colt was a very good listener, nodding in solemn agreement and encouraging her with a friendly “eeyup”. Amidst the sounds of artillery fire and Pegasi streaking overhead, the two ponies chatted for what seemed like hours.

“Sergeant Macintosh! What in Celestia’s name do you think you’re doing?”
Big Macintosh snapped to attention immediately, while Fluttershy squeaked and hid behind her mane. The stern voice belonged to a slim-waisted but powerfully built earth pony, her brown mane streaked with gray. “Ah do apologize, Captain Deadeye,” Big Macintosh replied. “Ah was just tryin’ to help poor Miss Fluttershy here.” The captain looked at Fluttershy appraisingly and mouthed the words: New recruit? Big Macintosh nodded. They’d both seen what a campaign like this could do to a pony like Fluttershy. “Well met, Nurse,” said Captain Deadeye, smiling grimly. “Macintosh, as much as I appreciate what you’re doing, you need to be preparing for the attack tonight.”

The red colt saluted. “Will do, Captain.” He turned to Fluttershy. “Beggin’ your pardon, Miss, but If you’ll excuse me...” He hugged the yellow pegasus gently. “Oh,” Fluttershy replied, blushing. “Um... Please be careful.”

Big Macintosh looked around at his squad, slumped around the campfire. These ponies would go “over the top” again tonight, in an effort to take the fight to Discord. Lyra looked over a crumpled note for the hundredth time, tears falling on the paper as she read. Caramel re-adjusted his war-harness again and again, trying not to betray how nervous he was. As the youngest member of the squad, he was determined to prove himself on the battlefield. Bluegrass strummed a few chords on his old guitar, humming weakly. Only Braeburn seemed unperturbed, munching on an apple as he gazed into the flames.

“What’s up, big bro?” Braeburn chuckled, tossing his apple core into the fire. “Nice night for a rumble, ain’t it?” The younger colt grinned recklessly. “Can’t think of anythin’ I’d rather be doin’... of course, there is a little filly waitin’ for me back home in Appleloosa.” Big Macintosh shook his head. “This is serious, Braeburn. Ah don’t want any o’ my kin gettin’ hurt out there!” He gestured with one hoof to the rest of the squad. “These here are the finest ponies Ah’ve ever had the privilege of servin’ with. Now, Ah know y’all can look out for yourselves, but I want ya to stick with Caramel, OK? Just make sure the kid don’t get too roughed up.” Braeburn nodded. “Don’t worry, Mac, I’ll take care of the li’l fella. YA HEAR THAT, CARAMEL?!” he shouted. “LOOKS LIKE I’LL BE SAVIN’ YER FLANK!” Caramel chuckled in spite of himself. Even Lyra cracked a smile, folding up her letter from Bon-Bon. “I’m ready for anything, Sarge,” she piped up. Bluegrass swung his guitar over his back and pawed the ground. “Ah reckon Ah’m as ready as I’ll ever be,” he murmured. The five ponies tensed, eagerly awaiting the signal.

Back at the medical tent, Fluttershy’s heart pounded in time with the war-drums. Nurse Redheart glanced nervously at the little pegasus for what seemed like the hundredth time- she was shaking like a leaf. Macintosh and Deadeye were leading the attack tonight...

Thunder crashed. War-drums boomed. All around, the maniacal laughter of Discord could be heard as an army of evil ponies teleported onto the field. The first Pegasus squadrons darted out to engage the enemy. “This is it, y’all!” Big Mac cried over the sounds of battle. “Jus’ stay behind me an’ don’t do anythin’ stupid! CHARGE!!!!”

The earth ponies galloped forth, charging into the jaws of Chaos itself. Boulders and lightning bolts crashed to the ground around them. Pegasi fought against each other in the skies above, and every so often a small, winged form would fall to earth. Oh, please don’t let that be anypony Ah knew, Big Mac thought. His squad was approaching Discord’s army now, and a small group of gray ponies moved to intercept them. “Git ready...” he murmured through gritted teeth.

Big Mac lowered his head and plowed into the nearest anti-pony, knocking the grey colt backwards. Braeburn windmilled his hooves and caught another in the face, sending the evil pony reeling. Lyra hung back and cast protective spells as Caramel and Bluegrass galloped forward. More of Discord’s evil minions circled around Big Macintosh and were felled by a vicious flurry of hooves. However, across the field, Deadeye’s troops were falling, brought down by foul magic and sheer weight of numbers. The one-eyed mare stood alone, surrounded by doppelgangers. “Is that all you’ve got?” she growled, knocking a black-maned unicorn to the ground. “Come on, you filth!” She leapt at another enemy, front hooves flying. “PONIES! TO ME!”

Big Mac looked up, the captain’s shouts ringing in his ears. He glanced over to the hillside, where a host of black and grey unicorns were levitating boulders in mid-air. Laughing maliciously, they launched the boulders eastward. Lyra was the first to react. “C’mon, guys! Move!” The squad galloped forward as fast as they could, keeping their heads down. Rocks crashed around them, throwing up huge clouds of dirt and earth. Coughing and choking, Big Mac emerged from the cloud. “Roll call, everypony! Who’s hurt?”

“I’m okay, I think,” Lyra moaned, rubbing her head. Bluegrass grunted in agreement, inspecting his precious guitar. “Takes more than that to hurt me!” Braeburn replied with his usual cockiness. “Hold up now... where’s Caramel?”

Macintosh’s heart pounded in his throat. “Caramel! CARAMEL!” he called through the dust. Bluegrass’ voice shook as he raised a hoof in the direction of a large impact crater. “L...Look,” he croaked. Poking out from the rubble was a cream-colored hoof. Big Mac felt his eyes begin to tear up. Lyra, huddled into a sitting position, choked back sobs. Only Braeburn seemed unmoved. “I’m goin’ after him,” he muttered. Before the other ponies could respond, the earth pony was running back in the direction of the craters. “I’m goin’ back for ‘im!” Big Mac galloped at his cousin’s heels. Ah done told him not to do anything stupid...

Braeburn reached his little brother’s body, and stooped down to hoist the lifeless colt onto his shoulders. “C’mon, Caramel,” Braeburn laughed darkly. “Let’s go home.” A sinister cackle echoed above him. A midnight-blue pegasus, clad in the uniform of the Shadowbolts, perched on the cliffside. “Aww, isn’t that sweet,” the mare laughed in a gravelly voice. “How’d ya like to join him, cowboy?” She took flight, crashing into Braeburn and shattering his ribs. The earth pony lashed out with his front hooves, coughing up blood as he did so. The Shadowbolt circled around and rammed into him again, knocking Braeburn to the ground. “What’s the matter, stupid? I thought earth ponies were supposed to be tough!” She removed her goggles, looking down into her victim’s eyes as she planted a hoof on his bloodied chest. In one final act of defiance, Braeburn spat in her face. “Nopony... calls me... stupid.” As the deputy sheriff of Appleloosa drew his last desperate breath, the evil mare zoomed away. Big Mac sank to his knees, repeating Caramel and Braeburn’s names over and over.

The yellow pegasus closed her eyes as another pair of bodies were carried into the medical tent. She’d seen this dozens of times over the course of the night, but that didn’t soften the blow any. Willing herself to look, she saw the frayed remnants of a Stetson hat and a brown vest. “Oh, no...” she whispered, hooves covering her eyes again. Applejack’s cousins were both dead. With a frightened squeak, she realized that Big Macintosh was still out there...

A commotion at the tent’s makeshift door shattered her thoughts. Big Macintosh, pushing his way past the orderlies and nurses, staggered over to where his cousins lay. Caramel was still covered by a sheet, and Mac couldn’t bear to lift it, couldn’t bear to look at the little guy. Braeburn’s eyes were wide open, and his trademark vest was black with blood. “No...” Big Macintosh whispered. “You idiot. You great... big...” He swung around, knocking a shelf of medical supplies to the floor. “...stupid... applebuckin’... IDIOT!”

“Um, excuse me,” a timid voice squeaked. “Please stop dropping things on me.” Big Mac’s eyes grew wide as he heard the familiar voice. He caught a glimpse of a pair of large green eyes before Fluttershy jumped him, knocking the wind out of the weary colt. “I’m so sorry,” Fluttershy whispered. “I’m so sorry... I’m so sorry...”

“Miss Fluttershy,” Big Mac gasped. “What’re ya still doin’ here? The rest o’ the army’s retreatin’.”

“I... um... just wanted to make sure that you were...you know... not dead,” she squeaked. “Well, you see, you’re Applejack’s brother, and Applejack’s one of my best friends, and that makes you my friend... and, well...” She muttered something Big Mac couldn’t hear.

“Sorry, sugarcube, Ah didn’t quite catch that.”

“Um... oh my goodness...” she blushed even more. “I think I have, um, feelings for you. You listen to me and you’re a good friend and a great brother to Apple Bloom, and...” She broke off. Big Mac stood there, jaw slightly askew, eyes glazed over. “W...what’s the matter?”

“Nothin’ at all, ma’am,” Big Macintosh replied. “I dunno whether it’s this war an’ all, or just mah less than spectacular track record, but Ah reckon Ah feel the same way towards you.” Fluttershy gazed up at the tired soldier, green eyes wide. “You mean...”

“Eeyup. Ah love ya, Fluttershy.” That was all she needed to hear. All shyness forgotten, she threw her forelegs around his neck and planted a kiss on the startled farmer’s face. Gesturing wordlessly, Fluttershy led the red colt out into the moonlight, gazing up at the stars. The armies of Celestia had been dealt a grievous blow today, there was no doubt. Many good ponies had been lost, and dark days lay ahead for Equestria. However, there was one thing Discord could never take away... hope.