• Published 7th Sep 2013
  • 752 Views, 10 Comments

Harmony at Heart - AMinorDisChord



Is it possible that the first two meetings Discord had with the mane six were intended, and per planned by the princesses?

  • ...
 10
 752

Broken Harmony

A knock resonated through the throne room, bringing all conversations to a halt. Celestia and Luna raised their heads in unison as a second knock crashed against the door, louder than the first, shaking both floor and ceiling alike. The diamond-encrusted chandelier had begun to shake at a dangerous tempo, and ponies that were underneath quickly tried to find shelter from the hanging hazard. A sharp snap was heard, and again the door was struck. But it was no longer a door, for in it's place stood a giant tambourine.

Insanity. Chaos. Those were words that Luna would have used to describe how the ponies were acting. Many were simply running in circles, others screamed at the top of their lungs. She considered testing her Canterlot voice against the volume of the Elite of Canterlot.

"Elite at screaming like hungry foals," she muttered under her breath as she rejected the notion that she could possibly out-yell the combined efforts of the upper class. This is what you get when you have the slightest amount of oddity arise in their presence, she thought as she recalled the other times something exciting happened when these ponies we're around.

She did have to admit to herself that this maybe wasn't a slight measurement of chaos. Then again, she reminded herself. They would have acted in the same way if there was a bit of food on their precious coats.

There was only one being that the Luna and Celestia knew of that would be able to pull off such a feat. In fact, there was only one being they could think of that would be willing to create such a disaster within their own throne room.

Luna, ignoring her previous conviction, started inspecting her coat for any culinary leftovers. She found a small number of bread crumbs on her front, and quickly brushed them off with a burst of magic. Suddenly, a shared, chaotic tune ran through all of the ponies heads, excluding Celestia and Luna.

This world is shattering,
Someone's torn the strings of reality,
I don't know if I should keep on holding on.

The world that I used to have,
Is being put on show by this psychopath,
There is no safe haven from this demon.

What happened to yesterday?
When the grass was green and the skies weren't gray?
How could he take the world I know?
With a snap he had it for his own.

He broke the ponies in his path,
Showed them their worst fears of the aftermath,
Now I can't stand against this beast,
This land has fractured like it's peace.

Chaos is falling around,
Tainting this sacred ground,
Making physics unbound,
Harmony won't be found,

It's toxic in the air,
You can't go anywhere,
It's made your life unfair,
all you can do is stare,

What's fallen upon us?
No it's not chocolate rain,
I've seen this darkness before,
It's the Discordant Reign!

Luna and Celestia had begun to hear a song, but of a different tone.

There is chaos everywhere,
Running stallions, screaming mares,
Tables turned and upturned chairs,
No such madness can compare.

You'd doubt there was peace before,
It was calm before the storm,
Hooves are striking tile floor,
I shan't take it any more.

What should I do? Try to shout?
With all of them running about?
Maybe they'd show themselves out,
But in that I'm having doubts.

This whole thing is just insane.
All the elite have lost their brains.
Why must they be in my mane?
I hope this madness will soon wain.

The princesses' song had finished, but the other ponies still heard the haunting music in their heads.

Chaos is falling around,
Tainting this sacred ground,
Making physics unbound,
Harmony won't be found.

It's toxic in the air,
You can't go anywhere,
It's made your life unfair,
all you can do is stare.

What's fallen upon us?
No it's not chocolate rain,
I've seen this darkness before.
It's the Discordant Reign!

Celestia quickly glanced at the sundial next to her throne. She sighed with great displeasure. Seven o'clock she thought. Misery coursing through her veins, rippling her snow-colored fur, she shuddered almost imperceptibly. For a creature of disharmony, he sure has impeccable timing.

She reconsidered that idea for a moment. Two things crossed her mind. One, his punctuality had caused a great deal of chaos within the room. Quite a clever tactic she realized. The best chaos came from those who want no part of it, yet manage to cause it by the slightest sight of trouble.

The second notion was that he wasn't the god of chaos. But, then again, who would possibly believe her? She told the story herself, and it has been passed on from generation to generation. Who would imagine it was simply a ploy to keep harmony strong, and after centuries of careful work, the plan occurred in two days? She doubted anyone that didn't know already would believe her, and that only included three bei-

The period of thinking lapsed as an agglomeration of animal ligaments strutted through the ajar musical instrument. As if hearing that notion, the abomination, made a snapping gesture with its eagle claws, and the door morphed into a crystalline vessel.

A tambourine is not a tambourine when it is ajar, the bizarre monstrosity thought to itself. It wished that it didn't have to think that way, but posing as a chaotic creature meant one thing: method acting. I can't say that I would still be sane, nor can I say I am sane right now. Why in Tartarus can't things make more sense when I lie about who I am? It thought to itself, engaging in an all out mental war. Almost instantly, however, a voice spoke that ceased all thoughts.

"Good afternoon," Luna called out. Everyone stopped moving that instant.

If only I didn't have to worry about my own heart not moving whenever she smiles at me, it tried quickly to regain it's composure, but it failed miserably.

"Y-your highness," it stuttered audibly. It could see the slightest smirk rise on her lips, which made it's heart, to it's annoyance, quite literally, stop.

I hate how literal everything is with these stupid powers! It antagonized. Suddenly aware of it's predicament, it rapidly shifted it's gaze to Celestia.

"Discord," Celestia acknowledged calmly. In truth, she was feeling anything but. All eyes rested on either the creature known as Discord, or on the princesses. In Derpy's case, she managed to look at both.

"Celestia," Discord replied. Any remnants of his usual upbeat nature were absent.

This simple exchange brought both fear and confusion to all of the creatures within the room. For all of the ponies, excluding Celestia, Luna, and Discord, the tales of The Discordant Reign surged through their mind. Agitation bubbled inside of the ponies, and the fact that Celestia did not make a move to protect them did not assist.

Of course, they also recalled how Discord had supposedly reformed. But what used to be was foremost in the collective minds. Most of them doubted that he changed at all. In truth, he didn't alter one bit from what he used to be. What he was, though, completely differed from what the equines believed.

That one wisp of knowledge was what streamed through Luna's, Celestia's, and Discord's mind. They knew the one thing that would hurt Equestria more than any magically-produced chaos. It scared all three of them.

"Leave us in peace!" Celestia commanded after a few seconds of silence, her maternal tone reaching all of the creatures in the room.

Her subject's blood froze. What is she thinking, how can she stay alone with that monstrous beast? Slowly though, the ponies trotted awkwardly past the cylindrical glass doorway. All but the four entities remained, the fourth being a royal guard.

Slowly, the guard stepped forward, feeling out of place, but tried to look calm none the less.

"Why have you disobeyed my order?" Celestia asked, with a deadly calm in her words.

"Your highnesses, how can you possibly wish to be left alone with that abhorrent-" the stallion began. Luna furiously interrupted him.

"YOU WILL STILL THY TONGUE GUARD!" Luna barked in her well-known royal canterlot voice. Why must our guards hesitate to trust us? she thought angrily. We are far more powerful than them anyway.

The guard fidgeted, feeling uncomfortable by the unmoving air. "I don't trust him," he blurted.

Then why do you choose not to hold your tongue? Celestia had to bite herself to keep these words from spilling out.

"And that is a wise policy," Discord mumbled almost inaudibly at the guard's comment. He marched toward the stallion until he figured to float instead. "Never trust an enemy. That is what I am to you, correct?"

The horse quickly nodded his head. A look of confusion crossed the guards face. The guard considered this for a moment. This the creature of chaos and disharmony. Why does it speak with so much... Reason?

"However, you do trust your comrades, and your superiors even more so," the draconequus continued. He crossed his arms. This wasn't meant as a question. It was a statement. "I am in many ways, your superior, young Glimmering Shield."

The stallion opened his mouth, before a realization hit him. "Wait, how do you know my-" Glimmering Shield began.

"Age, strength, knowledge, and abilities are just a few examples," Discord continued, as if he wasn't interrupted. "Another is rank. I am higher up on the guard then you are."

"WHAT!" The guard screeched at the top of his voice. Shimmering glowered at the being that disgusted him, too shocked to answer.

"Even if I wasn't, your princess had given a direct order," the draconequus said with finality. If anything, that was the token to get him to stop arguing.

He could disrespect me all day, Discord mused. But I doubt it would be in his best interests to insult the princess.

Luna watched the exchange, albeit it was more of a one-way conversation, and decided to speak up.

"Glimmering, I know you are concerned, but please, trust my sister and I. We know what we are doing."

We know the truth about who he is. We know that there is no being closer to his heart than I, and vice versa. We know that he would not hurt a creature without a very good reason. We know that he will sacrifice anything to keep the ponies closest to him safe, was what she wanted to say, but held back, knowing it would do more damage than good.

The guard's expression softened as he heard Luna's plea. "Very well, your majesty. I shall leave you to your own devices," he answered gloomily. He got to the end of the room before he made one last remark.

"Discord, I warn you, if they are not in good health at the end of this, then you will have no safe haven from my own chaos," and with that, he marched out of the room.

A few moments passed before Discord decided to make the first move. A swift motion of his claw brought the door to it's original state.

"Does it hurt?" Luna asked. She was looking directly at the eagle claw. Instantly, he knew what she meant.

"Every time," Discord replied. "Chaos is supposedly a great part of me, yet it burns my heart and insides whenever I use it because it damages the world. I am connected to the world even more so than disharmony. But it's a necessary evil, sorta like me," he gave a toothy grin to the two princesses before returning to a nearly depressed state.

Luna started to walk up to him. She jumped so she stood on her hind legs, put her front hooves on his chest and looked him directly in the eyes.

"We both know that isn't true. You can't honestly believe such horrible things about yourself."

Discord blushed. "Not when you're telling my otherwise."

Luna tried to look away to hide the ruby tints marking her night blue fur. Discord simply snaked his head around and took his time staring into the cerulean-azure eyes which made the world he lived in look far more wonderful in their reflection than any mirror.

Celestia looked at the two and pondered just how those two met. The times they spent together flashed before her eyes. The days she would glance out the window and see the Luna and Discord walking through the maze. The way the creature learned to make both princesses smile like they had not a care in the world. The long hours of work given worth by the mirth their oddly-figured friend brought, using nothing but the castle objects, turning them into gorgeous formations of architecture. The first night Discord and Luna shared a kiss. The day that she had to separate the two of them tore apart the happy mood in her mind.

This is what harmony looks like, in it's purist form. Two beings that get along, even love each other. Was splitting the two up for a time really worth maintaining that harmony?

"I am sorry," Celestia began.

"Don't be," Discord cut her off. "I agreed to do that, I was the only one who could."

"Was it worth it?" Luna asked.

Not losing her gaze for a second, he spoke. "To put it lightly, I disliked being a target of hate, almost as much as I hate these powers, and the agony that comes with them. But I would hate it even more if the world broke because I didn't pull through. I despised every second I spent away from you. But all that time I was not at your side was worth it to make the world last longer. So I can stay in your hooves for an eternity."

There was a long string of emptiness between them.

"Do you hate yourself?" Celestia asked to both her sister, and the closest thing to a brother that she had.

"Yes," Luna and Discord whispered at the same time. They blinked in disbelief as the other has found a way to hate the most wonderful thing in their life. Discord was willing to sacrifice anything to protect the world. Luna was able to move the heavens of the night, as she was just as easily his heart's heaven. Both would be able to make the other happy no matter what. What was it about the other that could possibly give any creature any right to hate them?

"But would you change what we have done?" Luna asked.

"No," Discord mumbled.

"Yes," Celestia whimpered.

"What? Why?" Discord and Luna spoke in such a way that they sounded like one voice.

Tia, is there something you have been too afraid to tell us? Luna wondered. Is there some reason you seem so afraid of us? What do you fear? Do you think we hate you? No, you know that isn't true. So what is plaguing your mind?

"I never should have made you a monster, and I shouldn't have let you become one!" Celestia was nearly crying at this point, her head down in shame. A hoof and a paw wrapped around her.

"I know you don't like that you lied about who I was, or setting me in stone for a while, but come on Tia!" Discord's voice cut through sadness better than any blade.

"B-but, you-ou and Lu-Luna were* sniff*, and th-then I, I," she couldn't speak coherently after that, so she let the tears flow instead.

"And we still are, and you did, but we both knew it had to be done," Luna said calmly. "At this point, no pony will notice the fact that we are. And you know what you had to do, and we were there every step of the way."

"And we still are. No matter how much you thought we would hate you, we never abandoned you," Discord continued. "The fact that you two were the closest thing to being my family was reason enough for me to trust you, to lie to the whole world, if you said there was a reason. We were family, Tia."

"And we still are," the draconequus and alicorn finished together. They acted as one, despite their differences.

They speak with an air of truth. Celestia knew. They are my hope in life, hope to find another, hope to move on. I couldn't ask for anything better. They are nothing less than my family. A family I don't deserve. I am so jealous of Luna, she has the one thing I yearn to have: the heart of another. Is it wrong that I envy her so?

"But what about what I did to Twilight and her friends?" Celestia managed.

"I did it, not you, and what happened with Luna wasn't a choice. The world would break, or she would." Discord argued.

"And it's not like it didn't end well in the end!" Luna finished. "I came out alright. Oh, sure, a different mane style, maybe a little less power then at first, but I came back."

Specifically on the year that your boyfriend would come out of that piece of rock, Celestia thought.

"Yes. Exactly." Luna announced, looking down her nose at her sister.

"What?" Celestia asked, attempting to act oblivious, but all that was displayed was shock.

"Is it really not obvious?" Luna asked, a hint of joking pride in her voice. "You looked at me, then at him, then you smirked. Yes, I came back simply to see him again!"

Celestia's jaw dropped. "You got that, from what I was looking at, and a smile?" She asked incredulously.

"Yes," Luna answered simply.

"And you aren't surprised at all?" Celestia directed the question at Discord.

"Three things, one, acting as the god of chaos, I am used to seeing strange things. Two, it was kind of obvious with your expression. Three, this is Luna were talking about! She's a freaking genius!" Discord nearly yelled the last part out. With that, Luna's hooves wrapped around Discord's body, constricting him in a strong hug.

Celestia just stared in awe at the two lovers.

"He is precious to me, why wouldn't I return for him? The only reason I became Nightmare Moon was because he wasn't with us." Luna continued to look at Discord. "And I am never letting you out of my sight again." She tightened her embrace, praying that she wouldn't have to let go.

"Why in your name am I not kissing you right now?" Discord asked Luna, with genuine puzzlement.

"You'd rather listen to me talk than give me a chance to tear off that silly beard." Luna teased, giving him both a threatening and loving smile at the same time.

"But are we not supposed to be willing to trust each other to the fullest?"

"Rid thyself of that hair ball you disgracefully call facial hair, and we'll talk."

"So we're not talking right now?"

"Of course not. With that tuff of fuzz still resting under your lip, I feel like I'm communicating more to it than you."

"So, if I did something like this," Discord removed his entire beard, and threw it against a portrait of himself, adhering on top of the portrait's beard.

Luna looked at him in apprehensive bewilderment. "You said it hurt to do such things," she began to tear up at the thought of him in agony.

Discord looked toward the floor with a sad smile. "It hurts even more to see you unhappy."

With a hoof, Luna lifted Discord's face to hers so she could rest her eyes upon him once more. "How can I be happy if the one I love injures himself over me?" She inquired.

"But the beard-"

"Forget the beard. I love you, chin fur and all." And with that she leaned toward him, letting her muzzle press lightly against his upturned lips.

Discord was too shocked too move as the Mare of the Night ruefully moved her head backwards, stepping off of his chest. But she never let her eyes leave his.

After the initial astonishment passed, Discord sprang into action. He ran over to his discarded beard in the blink of an eye. He picked it up, and began to reapply the goatee-

"Don't even think about it," Luna commanded harshly. "If you ever want to be kissed again, you will put that infernal peice of hair down."

"I thought you said-"

Luna loped to his side with a speed that would rival Rainbow Dash. She swiped the beard and applied it to her own chin.

"You have no idea how long I have waited to try this thing on," she declared, smirking at her success.

"With how fast you moved, I've got a very good assumption."

"I like it, it feels ticklish."

"Try getting kissed with it on."

A devilish glint flashed in her eye. "If you insist!" She said passively. She pounced on Discord and full-heartedly kissed him, pinning him to the floor.

After a moment, Luna came up for air, and giggled. "You're right, this is heavenly," she admitted, almost groaning with pleasure. "Never in my life have I felt such wonder, more than words would possibly bring justice to. The beard doesn't feel that bad either!"

Discord pondered this odd precession of words. "Wait, if you weren't talking about the beard-"

"Then I must have meant kissing you." Luna finished.

"But you have already kissed me before,"

"And each time it gets more and more enjoyable."

Celestia watched the two banter from the throne. I can only worry how odd my love life will end up being, she thought, mentally noting that it was liable to oddities, just because she was princess.

She ran out of tears to spill at this point, and took a deep breath. Scanning the windows, she saw what she had forced upon Discord. She saw the terror of ponies that never existed, chaos that never came, cruelty that never plagued anypony. Each of the stained glass window with Discord had been a lie, and she knew it. None the less, the draconequus had agreed to do this. Would she have?

This had to happen, and he ended up fine, and the harmony of balance was still strong. So why do I feel so guilty? she thought to herself. All of these painful years of regret, just for two days to keep a balance? Is that a fair price?

"Hey, remember, I allowed you to do those things to me, and I stand by my choice," Discord seemed to read her thoughts. "It was a price I was willing to pay if the people I love were safe." He somehow managed to get out of Luna's grip, instead holding her off of the ground in his own tight embrace. Luna was still wearing the goatee, enjoying her predicament to the fullest.

Discord suddenly noticed his current stature, and slowly lowered Luna to the ground, much to her disapproval. He then stood before her, with the goatee noticeably absent from his face, yet maintaining a sense of wisdom and age.

"How can you stand by the decision you made so long ago?" Celestia asked, almost too tired to care.

"I look at my side, see the ones I love so deeply in my arms," he answered instantly. A melody rang through the air, and he began to sing.

It's not easy, the life of a monster,
To be feared, by all who see me,
But I close my eyes, and think of you two,
What more of a family would I need?

You preach out loyalty and kindness,
Praised the generous and those of honesty,
You brought out their laughter, and their magic,
In this world, you've made peace and harmony.

Now the lies, I don't resent.
Playing up the sick tyrant,
Has given chance for chaos to be prolonged.

It all depends, in the end,
How tough are the elements?
I hope my act will make their bond grow strong.

But now, there is one thing that concerns me,
It entices whether you two truly know,
That you make the most of my heart,
And I beg to life I'll never let you go.

You preach out loyalty and kindness,
Praised the generous and those of honesty,
You brought out their laughter, and their magic,
In this world, you've made peace and harmony.

Discord was the first to speak after the song finished. "Luna, can you join me in the maze, like we used to?" He asked. In truth, he wanted to beg, but he knew she wouldn't like that, especially in front of her sister.

"As if I could say no," she answered, blushing slightly.

The two began walking out the door, Celestia feeling slightly put out.

They need their alone time she argued with herself. Still, it does beg the question. What shall I do in my free time?

She sighed and looked around the room, surprised that they left so quickly. She turned her head toward the door and say a hoof in the doorway.

"Your majesty, may I come in?" Glimmering Shield asked.

"Yes, of course," Celestia answered. "What do you wish to talk about?"

"Actually, ma'am, I've considered my previous action today, and I wish to apologize."

"You are forgiven."

"No, you misunderstand," he said, but quickly realized what he did say. "I mean, I wish to let you talk to me. I see that you have to give advice to people everyday, and it must stress you out. I am willing to hear what you have to say."

She thought over this for a moment. "Very well. Despite your, earlier outburst, I recall reading your file; I know you are able to hold your tongue. First things first, however, I will not be able to calm down if I see you tensed up. Also, refrain from using those your majesty, or princess, or other royal titles. For right now, I am Celestia to you. Understood?"

"Of course, Celestia."

"However, if you try to refer to me as Tia, it will not end pleasantly," she warned with a tone that Shimmering couldn't tell if it was a joke or a true threat.

"Shall I call you Celly, then?" He asked with all of the dignity he could muster.

"You dare try humor with the Princess?" She yelled with what Shimmering was almost certain was fake animosity.

"What princess? I only see you, Celly," he put as much emphasis as he could on the nickname.

"So you were paying attention. How convenient."

"What was that?"

"Cute."

"I know you are but what am I?"

"You are such a child."

"I shall refrain from making a comeback."

"Watch it!"

"Joking aside, what's got you down Celly?"

"Aw, but it was just getting interesting!" Celestia jokingly complained before returning to her normal composure. "To begin, my first problem deals with your actions today, and before you interrupt, it wasn't just you I'm concerned with."

"I, I don't follow."

"Your actions toward Discord, were both right and wrong. You see, Discord was never intending to hurt me, nor any pony else, but he had to pretend he would."

"You have managed to shatter my childhood fears, and my current ones, force upon me an entirely new history, and still lose me in the chaos."

"Then allow me to start from the beginning. You see, Discord was never a bad person, and he still isn't. He was acting on orders, it was all around three thousand centuries ago."

Author's Note:

I had no intention of making this romantic in the first place! It was simply supposed to be about how Discord and Celestia planned for his return, and why they did it. Screw it. Who doesn't love a romance. First written fic. Yay!! :yay:
Don't worry, the story doesn't end here. I am not a troll. I AM AN OGRE. RAHHHHHH!!!!