• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 1,047 Views, 5 Comments

In Another Life II: Chance's Folly - Bateman66



Hunted by an anti-human organization, Alistair must use his wits, new friends, and a tiny bit of magic to survive.

  • ...
4
 5
 1,047

To Reflect...

Twilight Sparkle slowly trotted through the kitchen, a warm steaming cup of tea following after her, suspended by just a hint of levitation spell and a dash of careful brewing. Moving step by step, she emerged steadily from the tiled room with the warm beverage leading the way.

Moving over to her special work chair, she set the drink down gently against the coffee table. Scooting herself onto the comfortable wooden furniture, she smiled intently at the sitting Alistair, who was just across from her. He sat arched on the sofa, his hands folded as he kept a placid expression, his normal expression.

“So” she said, raising the tea to her lips, “I want to tell you outright that although you technically did break the established curfew we had in no way am I angry or upset that you did.”

Alistair looked up at her with weak eyes. “Are you sure? One hundred percent?”

“Of course”

“Alright” he said nodding his head, still looking a bit nervous.

She took another sip of her tea. “But I still need to know what you were doing out so late. It can be dangerous in Equestria at night.”

Alistair sighed. “Ok, I will.”

He began his long story, starting from being late to his meeting with Ms. Press, all the way to him walking through the front door just minutes ago. She was incredibly tempted to interrupt when he mentioned the two mysterious individuals “Commodore Blip” and “Jam Roly-Poly”, but she refrained until he was finished.

His body became rigid and twitchy as he informed her about his outburst in town. He nervously justified his actions and stated repeatedly that he had no intention to hurt anypony. She acknowledged all of this with a nod, continuing to listen as told her of what happened afterwards.

He described the congratulations and encouragement the two kind ponies gave him, stating that the gang of bullying colts “totally deserved it”. He ended his tale with telling Twilight about the future plans they made, and his late night return home.

He paused. “So that’s about it, I guess.”

Twilight took another sip from her tea. Holding back no longer, she beamed brightly at him and slammed the mug down against the table. It was amazing the glass didn’t break.

“Alistair!” she exclaimed, “That’s amazing! You’ve finally met somepony! You’ve done it, after all this time, you’ve done it!”

He looked guiltier than ever. “Twilight, I could have killed those other ponies.”

She waved the air with her hoof. “Oh, that’s fine. You wouldn’t have done anything too severe, second or third degree burns most likely.”

Alistair sighed, not thoroughly convinced by her assurance. Noticing this, she quickly got out of her chair and reached over to him, setting her hoof on his shoulder.

“Look,” she said gently, “the important thing is, you’ve met two nice young colts who seem to really enjoy being around you. Isn’t that an accomplishment in itself?”

He crossed his arms. “It was them who approached me, not the other way around. And besides, we’ve only hung out once, I doubt that means we’re now best friends for life.”

Twilight shook her head. “Alistair, you’ve got to stop looking negatively at these kinds of things. The first step has already been taken, why don’t you wait and see how things progress before doubting it?”

“But…”

Twilight leaned in a bit closer, her hoof still on his shoulder. “Alistair, it was years before I ever was able to make a lasting relationship with somepony that wasn’t the Princess or Spike. You’ve been here, for what, two months now? And your already friends with two other ponies.”

She leaned a tad bit closer and poked her hoof on his chest. “Hold onto what you did today, because it was special and memorable and important. You have no idea how many other ponies wish they could have done what you did today. I can vouch for myself on that one.”

Alistair looked up at her and smiled, the sourness that he held earlier now completely gone. “Thanks for that Twilight.”

She smiled back. “Don’t mention it; I always like helping a friend in need.” Offering him her hoof he kindly accepted it. With a light tug, she pulled him to his feet. “Now come on, I want you to try some of the cannis root tea I made.”

The two walked toward the kitchen.

“Could I just have some water instead? Or milk?” asked Alistair. “I’ve never really been a fan of the whole hot beverage scene.”

Twilight looked shocked. “Y-You don’t like tea? That’s impossible!”

He shook his head. “Nope, I’ve never liked the stuff, too hot and too varied in flavor for me. There’s also the aftertaste to it, like that weird smell you get in your nose after drinking. Blech!”

“Well,” said Twilight as they walked into the kitchen “I’m sure I can find some way to convince you. Mind control maybe? Hypnosis?”

He laughed. “I’d still probably hate it.”

The rest of the night was a comfortable contrast to the stressful shenanigans of the day, adding some much needed closure that both friends needed direly. It was a fantastic day.