• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 916 Views, 13 Comments

A Cold Quarantine - The Crusaders



After Fluttershy finds a strange device in the Ponyville Ice Rink, Princess Celestia demands that the entire ice rink become temporarily quarantined. But how long is temporary?

  • ...
 13
 916

Sweetie Belle

Sweetie Belle was stirred out of her sleep by a hoof poking her in the side.

"Sweetie Belle, wake up! Scootaloo is in really bad shape now, she's throwing up and crying, and her eyes are bloodshot! We need to help her!" Applebloom pleaded. Sweetie Belle frowned and carefully slid off her makeshift bed, eyeing Scootaloo tiredly. Her and Pinkie Pie had gotten sick earlier, but Scootaloo had been in worse condition all day. She was younger, more vulnerable. The temperature had dropped radically, and now it was beyond freezing, and Sweetie Belle was beginning to feel light headed. She shivered violently, her teeth chattering.

Rainbow Dash was curled up on her bed, munching sleepily on her share of the bread found under the shelf of the EQR. It was stale, and slightly soggy, but it was food, so what else mattered? Suddenly, a splash echoed through the room, Scootaloo had thrown up on the floor again. It smelled horrible, Sweetie felt like vomiting just by smelling it. Probably because what she was throwing up wasn't food, she didn't have any of that left in her.

"Well what are we supposed to do about that? We can't help her, Applebloom. We can only protect ourselves." Sweetie Belle sighed. Applebloom nodded wearily, strapping on her surgical mask that they had found in the emergency kit. Sweetie was thinking hard about today, about how she had seen Twilight pop in, then vanish like nothing had happened. How did she do it? How did she get in?

If there was a way in, there had to be a way out, Sweetie just knew it. Sh concentrated hard, searching the room from her bed, trying to find any sort of exit. After a few minutes, she yawned, and her eyes slowly started to close. Then, Sweetie's ears nearly burst as a scream was amplified by the echoing walls of the rink. She spun around, nearly toppling off her bed to see what had happened.

The scream had come from Pinkie Pie, and had been caused by Scootaloo, who was now hacking up foamy blood, convulsing on the ground violently. Applebloom leaped up and raced over to help her friend, and although Sweetie was panicked, she couldn't think of any way to help. Rainbow Dash was frantically looking through the EQR for some sort of help, but to no use. Sweetie Belle couldn't think straight, her mind was fizzing out. There was bloody spit on the ground, everybody was running around panicking or screaming, and nobody was there to help them. Enough was enough. Screaming, Sweetie Belle leaped from her bed and began charging at the door with maximum speed. Shutting her eyes tightly, she braced for impact. Then, the pain hit.

Her head slammed up against the door, her horn heavily denting the metal. The door shuddered and moaned, but didn't give. Sweetie gasped from the pain and fell backwards with a deafening scream of agony, Her horn shivered, then burst with light, raising her into the air.

"Help!" she screamed as she was flung at the net surrounding the bleachers. Again, she shut her eyes and braced for impact, which came too quickly. But it didn't feel like net. It felt like stairs. Like bleachers. Opening one eye, she saw blood pooling around her as she landed hard against the edges of the staircase-like seats. She gasped quietly, wondering where she was bleeding. Did she cough it up, maybe?

No, she definitely didn't cough it up, that was for sure, but her head hurt like hell on earth. That must be what was bleeding. She touched her hoof to her forehead, and sure enough, it had a gash in it that was pouring blood. Everything was silent, save a slight ringing in her ears. Then, sobbing. It was nearly silent, but clear all the same.

"Hello? Who's crying?" she called, feeling tears pour down her face from the agony she was in, she was starting to feel wobbly, like she was about to pass out. But she had to keep going. She had to. She saw a little face pop out from behind a set of bleachers, then gasp.

"Sweetie Belle?" Diamond Tiara exclaimed, her bottom lip quivering. "Oh my Luna, your head! Here, I'll help you out." Diamond pulled out a large strip of thick goz and began wrapping Sweetie's wound, Sweetie still stunned by recent events. Was Scootaloo ok? How long had Diamond Tiara been up here? Why was she crying?

"Ouch!" she yelped as Diamond pushed a sewing needle into her skin.
"Shh, don't move, I'm just sewing up your wound." she said, focusing carefully until she finished the stitching. "There, done.".

"What happened? Why were you crying?" Sweetie asked sympathetically. Diamond, sniffled and took a small step back, showing Sweetie Belle something she hadn't previously been aware of. Diamond Tiara was much thinner, her ribs slightly showing. She obviously hadn't been eating since the lockdown.

"I...I didn't come alone...I c-came with S-Silver S-Spoon, and...and she...she..." Diamond stammered before bursting out into tears and gesturing for Sweetie Belle to follow her before trotting around the corner. Sweetie complied, following her at the same pace, then, turning the corner to find Diamond sobbing, looking devastated as she pointed under a bleacher. Sweetie crouched down and peered under, then gasped and fell back on her bottom, kicking away from the scene.

Silver Spoon's pained looking corpse curled up, cold and stiff as a pile of vomit and blood surrounded her. Sweetie's eyes widened. The disease.

"I...I just don't know how sh-she caught it, but I d-didn't!" she choked through her tears. Tears welled in Sweetie's eyes as she thought of her friends.

"Scootaloo,"

"What about her?" sniffled Diamond, turning to Sweetie.

"She's...she's sick...she'll die..." Sweetie Belle's tears flowed silently down her face. Diamond went pale.

"It's filling up the air, Sweetie, what are we gonna do?" she cried.

Sweetie sighed and shrugged, trotting up the stairs. "How hard have you been searching for food?" she asked.

Diamond wiped her eyes. "I kind of stopped searching after yesterday, when Silver Spoon died. We s-searched together, always.".

Sweetie sighed and trotted up the stairs to the control room to look for any food. The room obviously hadn't been searched judging by the dust on the doorknob. At first the door was jammed, but after a few moments, the knob turned and Sweetie trotted carefully into the room, then screamed, and fainted.

Author's Note:

REALLY sorry about the late chapter, and I know it's short, but my internet was down for a long time, so I couldn't write. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it, but does anybody still read this story?