• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 1,873 Views, 21 Comments

Come Little Children - BlueEyedMelloon



Luna decides forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission. A tale that sparks a legend.

  • ...
1
 21
 1,873

Chapter 5

"Come Little Children"
By: Blue Eyed Melloon
Chapter Five

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hush now dear children, it must be this way, too weary of life and deceptions.
Rest now dear children, for soon we’ll away, into the calm and the quiet.

Luna completed her singing when the beams no longer fell upon the town. After the orphanage, she had flown over the rest of the city to find her other subjects. Now the spell was complete. They were chosen.

The night princess was tired, but she cast yet another spell, one that would bring her children to her. The beams brightened and pulsed, and the ponies inside them felt themselves rising from the ground, surrounded by a magical aura. Lilly Flute let the blankets fall away from her as she started to float. She squealed as she dropped a few feet out of the window, but the magic caught her, and she found herself rising higher and higher above the city.

Brownie Points too felt the magic take hold of him, and he struggled against it, gripping the rocks around him with his hooves. His head was spinning with panic. His arms were starting to burn as the magic tugged at him impatiently. He gritted his teeth, but his grip slipped, and he found himself spinning upward into the beam.

Fireball held his sister tight as they left their home behind. She was shivering, but with excitement, not fear. Neither of them had wings, so flying was something new and shiny, like a toy just out of the box. Finally they released each other, and floated side by side, somersaulting a couple of times to test out their new found ability. Cocoa Butter giggled, slowly rotating on the spot. “This is fun!” she said, covering her mouth with a hoof. Fireball nodded, and turned to face the beam. This would tell them where they were going.

The three fillies at the orphanage were joined by another colt from the opposite side of the building when they made their way through the window. He waved, moving his legs as if he were running. "Isn't this great!?" he called, doing a barrel roll. The foursome laughed and dove after each other, all the while wondering just who was bringing them upwards, and if they should be scared. Something about the way the magic held them gave them reassurance that they were safe.

Ponies began to come into view and Luna’s heart skipped a beat. Twenty foals in all. They were rising to her, soaring above the rooftops to join her in creating a new colony. A new place where they would grow into happy ponies, away from the hunger, the pain and the desperation. She wanted to shout with happiness, but instead she kept her calm, beckoning the foals closer with a hoof and more singing. Her back was to the moon, and the foals couldn't tell who was calling them, only that they wanted to follow them, they would follow them. To the ends of the earth if they had to.

Celestia was wrong. You ARE the rightful Princess of these ponies. Lead them away to their new home.

Spirit was the first to recognize the princess. She nudged one of the other fillies from the orphanage and whispered “It’s Princess Luna!” excitedly. The realization made its way through the crowd of floating foals, and by the time they were within earshot of her, everypony was aware of who had called them, but not why.

“Come with me little ones, we are going on an adventure!” She didn’t wait for them to answer before turning to face the moon, flapping her wings and soaring higher into the sky. The foals felt the magic tug them along like an invisible string, and those who had gotten used to being in the air began to enjoy themselves, frolicking and twisting in the air behind Luna. She made sure to fly within the cloud cover to hide their escape. The clouds were monoliths of the sky, soft and pliable, yet from far away looked solid and formidable. The foals remained close together as they passed through them, and spread out when open sky greeted them. Through the flight, Luna sang.

She was their compass, and their wings. They were an unusual flock of birds, led by a siren whose song echoed off of the stars and brought comfort to the foals when the magic allowed the unpleasant trickle of doubt to enter their hearts.

And when they were tired they slept, cradled by the wind. The song that had captured them became a lullaby. As the night went on, slumbering foals bobbed and drifted on the invisible waves in the sky with the night princess as their tugboat and guide. Half of the night was spent in this fashion until all recognizable landmarks were on the horizon behind them.