• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 712 Views, 6 Comments

Moonlight's Sonata - Sensoriko



"I dream of you when I'm asleep, you even appear when I'm awake daydreaming. There is no escaping you. I just wish it was true."

  • ...
3
 6
 712

An Interesting Night

"Ugh! I can't believe this!" she shouted before placing her face into her hooves. After spending the entire day with her friend, Octavia returned to her hotel room just as the sun was setting and had been sitting at her work desk staring at a stack of blank paper for the past several hours. She came home believing that she could remember at least a little bit of the music that she played during her dream, but so far no memory from the performance itself was recalled and it was starting to get to the prideful cellist.

"How is it that I, a pony whose natural talent involves music, can have a dream about a full on concert and not remember one single solitary note, from a single solitary line, from a single solitary concerto, that lasted a single solitary hour!?!" Octavia slammed a hoof onto the table and cleared the table top with a swipe. The papers flew up into the air while the inkwell that was sitting above the papers flew onto the floor, spreading ink all over the desk and floor in the process. Octavia groaned and began to rub her temples between her hooves.

"I can't believe I am letting this get to me," she said punctuating her own self disappointment with a sigh. "What would my friends say if they saw me like this?" Octavia got out of her chair and began to clean up her mess. "I am being foalish. After all it is only the first night I am attempting this and it isn't as if it is due the next day." Octavia managed to gather up all the papers and stacked them neatly on her work desk. She then proceeded to her kitchen to fetch some cleaning supplies to clean up the ink on the table and the floor. "I guess I would not be so flustered if it weren't for the fact that the only thing I can remember from the dream is..." she stopped herself and shook her head. "If I stop mentioning it, it will go away sooner. Now, what happened to my quill?"

Almost right on cue, as she was finishing up the stain that was at the bottom of the table leg, she stepped on the quill with her back hoof. Octavia closed her eyes and gave an exasperated groan. The last quill and she had to crush it. "Well, it wasn't like I was making much progress before..." she said to herself through gritted teeth. She turned to give her clock an angry look over and sighed. "Midnight," she spoke softly to herself, "a whole night wasted." Octavia thought about resigning herself to bed, but found that she wasn't really that tired. Normally, she would have gone out and spend time around town. But she didn't feel like going to a bar or a club. In fact she felt like being alone tonight.

"Well, if somepony were to arrive I might not complain much," she absentmindedly thought to herself. Octavia quickly shook her head and began to internally berate herself. "No, no, no Octavia Melody! This is precisely why you can't think straight and remember anything. Being hung up on a dream that only happened once, that involves somepony who you have never actually met, and is way out of your league,and not remember the music which is the important thing about it although she is very beautiful and seemed genuinely interested in your performance, and you know full well you would leap at the opportunity to take her out or be taken out by her and and...is causing you to ramble to yourself internally while you stand in the middle of the room like an idiot."

Octavia let out a sigh and decided that the best thing to do at the moment, was fix herself a pot of hot water fro some nice tea. Maybe, after a cup or two something would come to her to help her with her music. Or it would knock her unconcious so she could try again the next day. Of course, once she set the pot on the stove and sat down at her kitchen table to wait, Octavia found her mind had calmed down enough for her to doze right off in her chair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a perfect night. Not a single cloud in the sky to obstruct the view of the stars above. The moon was brilliant and full of light, shining down on her as if it were some sort of stage light. The breeze was nice and refreshing as it blew through her mane. The grass was nice and soft under her hooves. And she was completely alone. Yes, it was the perfect night for Octavia to practice the cello. After taking a deep breath, she took up her bow and began to play. It was nothing special, just a slow relaxing tune to go with what she felt fit the mood of the night. The music piece was actually one of her little "warm up tunes" that she would play to help set her up for the rest of her solo rehearsals, as it was only two minutes long. But when she finished, somepony was applauding behind her as if she had performed a perfect rendition of one of Baythoven's cello sonatas.

When Octavia turned herself, the pony that she saw nearly made her drop her cello and did make her drop her bow. Standing before her, with a child like grin on her muzzle, was none other than Princess Luna. "Good evening, Miss Melody. I hope you do not mind, but I could not help myself. I have always been a connoisseur of the musical arts, and after the show you performed the other night I simply had to seek you out again."

Octavia was usually a rather quick minded pony, but at the moment her mind was running rather slow. So slow in fact that the only response it could come up with was, "Buwah?"

Luna tilted her head slightly, a small frown forming on her face. "I fear I may have overstepped my boundaries. If you wish for me to leave then..."

"NO!" Octavia shouted, before throwing a hoof over her mouth. "I mean, you are more than welcomed to stay. I was just caught off guard by your appearance. I thought I was alone out here." That seemed to have comforted Luna, as she was smiling again. "Oh dear, what do I say now?" Octavia thought to herself. "She is right here, smiling at me. I have to say something." "So...you like cello music?" "Good show, Octavia. Such a way with words."

Luna gave a small nod of her head and spoke with a voice that to Octavia sounded as beautiful as any note that could have come from her instrument, "I adore the cello, yes." Luna was staring into Octavia's eyes and it made the cellist want to faint. Actually, it was the fact that the princess was walking towards her that was making her want to faint. Or maybe it was the fact that the princess was virtually pressing her body against her's as they were now face to face. Wait, when did that happen?

As Luna moved her muzzle in close, Octavia thought she might have heard a sound coming from behind the princess. She also thought she saw a glimpse of something shimmering in a bush near the source of the noise. When did a bush get there? Those thoughts quickly went out of her mind when she felt the princess' warm breath in her ear as she began to whisper. "I actually have a request of you. If you take requests, that is."

"I am willing," was all Octavia was able to say. She felt lost among the presence of Luna, and she welcomed the feeling completely. "What kind of request did you have in mind?"

"A simple tune," Luna replied, her lips just barely brushing up against the smaller mare's ears. "I know not the name, but I remember the notes perfectly. Would you like to hear it?" A sound of affirmation from Octavia made Luna chuckle. "Alright, the first bit of music begins as such..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The whistle of the tea kettle jostled Octavia from her impromptu nap. After gathering her senses and going over to turn off the stove, Octavia stared at the kettle and sighed. "This issue isn't going to go away at the end of the week is it?"

Author's Note:

Chapters three and four were originally one long chapter. But I decided to take some filler out and cut into two parts. I may go back and put some of the filler back in, since now that the chapter is split it feels like it is missing some emotion. Of course that could just be the lack of sleep effecting me too. The next chapter will involve more interaction between Octavia and Vinyl, with a little more focus on our favorite DJ. Was that the real Luna in this new dream? Maybe, maybe not. The next chapter will go into that as well.

Random note, Baythoven is a horsepun. A bad horsepun, but a horsepun nonetheless.