• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 636 Views, 4 Comments

Celestia's Reign - AnonymousHooves



Luna, after being released from her prison, recalls her life, remembering friendships and precious moments from a time from long since passed.

  • ...
3
 4
 636

Chapter Two- The Book of Ages

Looking back this was probably one of the most crucial times in my life. Perhaps, had I taken what mother said more seriously, I would not be here today…


A few days after my coronation was the celebratory ball that followed. I got my first fancy gown made for me by a local pony merchant my mother commissioned. It was a beautiful hoof stitched gown woven in silk. It was silver and shimmered in the daylight. My mother had said that I looked like a real princess. My father had told me that I looked just like a star that sparkled in the night sky.

Mother brushed my mane and styled it ready for the ball. It was tradition to have it styled a particular way. For the coronation it had to be pinned up neatly and for the after-coronation ball it had to be curled. They both represented different things, but… that tradition disappeared a long time ago and I don’t remember too well.

There are still many books on royal etiquette tucked away in the palace. Or at least, there were.

When mother had finished with my mane she smiled at me reassuringly.

‘No matter what,’ she said, ‘I love you and I will always be here to guide you should you need it.’

I didn’t reply. I was in all honesty terrified of how everypony would respond to me.

‘What’s wrong?’ mother asked gently.

‘I’m afraid that everypony will hate me,’ I admitted. ‘I only wish I understood why they may.’

Mother put her hoof on mine. ‘Our faith is the trouble. It’s been written in the Book of Ages that anypony who does not gain his or her cutie mark- thus finding their destiny, is not whole. Ponies all across the land have over time misinterpreted this and have grown to believe that a pony with an unmarked destiny is untrustworthy and impure.’

I stared wide eyed at my mother fearfully.

‘It’s okay, my little filly,’ she said smoothing my mane. ‘Just because ponies believe this does not make it true.’

One thing about mother, although she believed in faith, honesty and truth were just as important to her. She was wise and saw so much more than ponies perhaps realise.

‘Whatever those ponies say tonight and however they behave,’ mother said, ‘do not let their bitterness hurt you. Rise above them and some day you will be wise and shall teach them all they need to know.’

As I had feared, upon entering the room ponies shot me cold and disgusted looks. Some even seemed afraid either of me or for me.

One pony stood out from the crowd however. Her coat shone a pretty shade of mauve and her mane was scarlet and all done up neatly for the occasion. She was the only pony that looked directly at me. Her eyes were a deep blue and made me think of sapphires. She was a unicorn which surprised me. Most unicorns were too proud for their own good.

The unicorn must have seen me staring at her and smiled to me warmly. I felt a mixture of emotions. I initially felt shocked and rather embarrassed, but on the other hoof I felt happy. Just a single smile could change the whole mood. I found myself smiling also. Suddenly none of the other ponies mattered anymore.

I followed my mother around for the most of the evening, meeting other ponies- our subjects as mother had said. It wasn’t long before I grew tired and mother sent me upstairs to bed. Celestia, being older than me, did not turn in until much later so I had the room to myself for a while.

I turned out the light and sat by the window looking out at into the night. I was always fascinated by the mysteries the darkness held. Everypony was taught that the night was dangerous as the creatures of the night stalked our quiet villages whilst we slept.

There were tales from the Everfree forest of headless ponies and blood thirsty demons that would snatch young fillies from their homes. After what mother had taught me I wasn’t sure how real any of these things were. I may have been young at the time but I knew it was reasonable to question things.

Quietly my door creaked open and my father stepped into the room.

‘Luna?’ he said gently. ‘What are you doing alone in the dark? Aren’t you supposed to be getting ready for bed?’

‘I know,’ I replied. ‘I’m just looking out at the night.’

‘Oh?’ father queried joining me at the window.

‘The night,’ I said quietly. ‘Why is everypony so afraid of the night?’

I thought I knew the answer, but I was looking for a more creative answer.

‘That’s a very good question,’ my father responded surprising me. ‘I could tell you about the creatures that are said to lurk at night, but I’m sure you already know the stories.’

I nodded slowly.

‘The archives and the book of ages speak of night and darkness unleashing your worst fears. Ponies over generations have begun taking it literally.’

That seemed to make sense. Times were changing.

‘The Book of Ages is full of lessons that ponies are beginning to understand less and less,’ he said. ‘This is why your mother and I rule now. Once there were no kings or queens and ponies knew how to balance their world. This was when the Book of Ages was written.’

‘What happened to everypony?’ I asked.

‘Unfortunately we lost sight of what really matters, Luna. Then wars broke out between the earth ponies, the pegasi and the unicorns.’

I shivered when I thought about generations to come.

‘It’s okay now,’ father reassured me. ‘You and your sister were prophesised by Star Swirl the Bearded to rule Equestria and keep it balanced for as long as it’s needed.’

‘How long might that be?’ I asked curiously.

‘You never mind that, little filly,’ father chuckled ruffling my mane with his hoof. ‘Now, time for bed. It’s been a long day.’

Once ready I climbed into bed and let my father tuck me in.

‘One last question,’ I said.

‘Okay, last question.’

‘How did you and mother become alicorns? Why are we alicorns?’

‘Well, we were just born that way. Your mother and I were both drawn to one another because of our powers,’ he told me.

‘But why?’ I pressed.

Father sighed realising where this was going. ‘It’s nature’s way of balancing itself,’ he said. ‘In all honesty, I know as little as you when it comes to this. Now, go to sleep.’

With that he kissed me goodnight and turned out the lights leaving me to rest.