• Published 26th Jul 2013
  • 3,321 Views, 139 Comments

For Want of Eternal Nightmare - Flame Bolt



After the events of 'All things evil' Nightmare Moon strikes again. This time, in the heart of Canterlot, putting her grand scheme into motion.

  • ...
4
 139
 3,321

Chapter 6 - When you Dash past the Shade

Twilight and her friends cautiously proceeded through the forest, completely unaware that they were being followed by Night Shade. That was until Rainbow Dash brought up the subject.

“Um, is it just me, or does anypony else get the feeling that we’re being watched?”

“It’s probably just a Timberwolf, Rainbow” replied Twilight.

“Yeah, Rainbow” started Applejack, who proceeded to put on a spooky voice, “It could pop out at any moment and eat you.”

The rest of the group giggled at this remark, except for Rainbow who was quick to defend her pride.

“Yeah right, I’d buck that Timberwolf to Tartarus without a sweat.” she boasted, “But seriously, I think we are being watched by somepony.”

The feeling of uneasiness slowly washed over the group, one by one, the realisation hit them that Rainbow could be right.

“I’ll go scout ahead. Make sure there are no surprises waiting for us”

“Ok Rainbow but be careful” replied Twilight

“Pfft... I’ll be fine you guys.”

And with that said Rainbow Dash flew ahead and out of sight.

From within the shadows, Night Shade smiled to himself.

“You should have stayed with your friends, Loyalty.”

The true beauty of the Lunar Unit’s cloaks was that it concealed whether or not those who weren’t Unicorns, were Earth pony or Pegasus. In Night Shade’s case he was a Pegasus so, staying absolutely silent, flew off in pursuit of Rainbow Dash.


It’s an extremely rare occurrence Rainbow Dash ever feels on edge, but this was an exception: Dark spooky forest, Pony eating predators and finally being lost.

Night Shade could clearly see the look of uneasiness on Rainbow Dash, so he decided to toy with her. He found a twig on the ground and slowly picked it up, he then proceeded to snap the twig and hide.

*Snap*

“W-who’s there?” asked Rainbow Dash

Night Shade snickered.

Rainbow heard this, but she wasn’t amused.

“Is this some kind of cruel joke?”

No reply.

“Fine, whoever you are, I’ll find out.”

And with that she slowly proceeded towards a hidden Night Shade. When she got to the general area she had heard the noise originate from, she cautiously looked around. This was when Night Shade made his move; he pounced towards Rainbow, who tried to lift a hoof in defence but was too slow, and tackled her to the ground.

Putting his hoof over Rainbow’s mouth, Night Shade began to speak.

“We can do this the hard way, or the easy way. Which will it be?” he asked.

When Night Shade removed his hoof from Rainbows mouth, she chose to counter attack. First, she head butted him which caused him to stumble. Then she got up and attempted to buck him, but it went horribly wrong. He sidestepped out of the way with ease and used his right hoof to flip Rainbow onto her back. But he wasn’t finished yet, he then proceeded to lift Rainbow up and charged her into the nearest tree.

Night shade chuckled, “So you chose the hard way, very amusing.”

As Rainbow felt her vision darken, the last thing she said was, “You’re pretty good.” And she passed out.

After lifting Rainbow onto his back, Night Shade set off, back to the castle.


“Nightmare, I come with a gift.” Night Shade joked

“Oh goody, Night Shade I wonder what it could be.” replied Nightmare playing along.

“The Element of Loyalty, just for you.”

Rainbow Dash groaned.

“Well, well. It seems she’s waking up, how unfortunate for her.”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes groggily opened to the sight of Nightmare Moon. Too weak to do anything, she groaned again.

“Don’t worry, Loyalty, there’s plenty of time for you to rest,” Nightmare smiled and lit up her horn, “Enjoy your Nightmare, free of charge.”

All Rainbow Dash saw was a few seconds of teal and then she blacked out.

Author's Note:

In case you're wondering I got the "You're pretty good" from MGS 4, more specifically this bit.