• Published 26th Jul 2013
  • 3,321 Views, 139 Comments

For Want of Eternal Nightmare - Flame Bolt



After the events of 'All things evil' Nightmare Moon strikes again. This time, in the heart of Canterlot, putting her grand scheme into motion.

  • ...
4
 139
 3,321

Prologue

Twilight groggily opened her eyes and yawned, recounting the recent events of the past few days. It was strange how it all happened so quickly, first she became Nightmare Moon’s minion, a memory that still makes her shudder when thinking about it. Then she had hurt Princess Celestia, which she was disgusted with herself for. Then she had fought Nightmare Moon after her friends stayed loyal to her and came to her aid when she needed it and finally freed Princess Luna from Nightmare Moon’s influence.

Twilight slowly sat up and looked out the window, the sun was shining brightly and there was not a single dark cloud to be seen. Her attention shifted to Spike who was still fast asleep, ‘same old Spike’ she smiled to herself and climbed out of bed, but... as she did, a piece of paper on her bedside table caught her eye. Levitating it closer, she was surprised to find that it was a note, it read:

Dear Twilight,
Princess Celestia has requested to see me on account of Luna and the Nightmare Moon incident which took place a few days ago. She had also requested to see you as well when you wake up. As the matter is urgent she has given me permission to leave an enchanted sapphire on the table downstairs that, when touched, will transport you to us. You shouldn’t be gone for too long so Spike should be fine. See you in Canterlot.
Signed,
Lunar Eclipse.
P.S. on my way out, I accidentally stood on Spike’s tail, tell him I’m sorry when you get the chance will you.

After reading the last section, Twilight held in the urge to laugh ‘Spike just sleeps through everything’ she thought as she made her way towards the door Spike woke up.
“So” He began “thinking of leaving without a goodbye, are we?”
Before she could respond the baby dragon had already wrapped his arms round her left foreleg.
“Have fun in Canterlot” he said with a smile on his face before releasing his grasp.
“Don’t worry Spike, I won’t be too long” responded Twilight.
“Wait, what time it is?” he asked.
“Around 10Am, why?” Twilight responded.
Spike’s eyes immediately went wide in shock, “I’m meant to be a Rarity’s” he screeched, bolting out the library before Twilight could get a word in edgeways.
Twilight smiled and shook her head “Same old Spike” she said.

When she got downstairs, Twilight could see a strange aura emanating from the sapphire. Reluctantly she reached out her hoof, touched it and then everything went white.


“Well, well” chuckled a familiar voice. “It appears that ‘Somepony’ isn’t used to long distance teleportation.”
Twilight groaned and slowly opened her eyes. Her vision was blurry and her head hurt. She tried to stand up but only succeeded in crumpling to the floor again.
“Need help?” asked the voice.
Again, Twilight groaned.
“I’ll take that as a yes” they said, levitating Twilight onto their back and began to walk down the corridor.

After what seemed like an eternity to Twilight, her vision refocused but wasn’t perfect.
“Where am I?” she said.
“Oh come now, Twilight, surely you recognise Canterlot castle” replied the voice.
“Eclipse?” gasped Twilight.
“You sound surprised?” she replied.
“No no, I’m not it’s just, I didn’t expect you to be where I ended up” replied Twilight.
“Well I did conjure the enchantment, so it only makes sense that I picked its location, give or take a few metres” informed Eclipse.
“What happened?” asked Twilight.
“Well, since you’re not used to long distance teleportation, it explains why you are suffering from a few minor, ‘side effects’, which have started to subside, seeing as you can see and speak properly” explained Eclipse “and before you ask, yes, I am still an alicorn. You have Nightmare Moon’s extremely poor judgement to thank for that.”
“Also I never got the chance to tell Spike that you stood on his tail” admitted Twilight, “He was out the library as fast as Rainbow Dash, something to do with being at Rarity’s.”
“Ugh.” gagged Eclipse, “That dragon, thinks Rarity is his princess in the castle that he has to save.”
Twilight burst out laughing, eventually composing herself. “I couldn’t have put it any better myself Eclipse” she said.
“I always aim to please” Eclipse grinned.

Eventually they stopped in front of a door.
“Why did we stop?” asked Twilight.
“Because we have arrived at our destination” replied Eclipse.
It only took a quick check of her surroundings to know where Twilight was, “This is Celestia’s room” she said, “but why are we here?”
“Celestia wanted to see us in private, probably because the guards get really agitated and nervous when she talks about this incident with them in hearing distance” replied Eclipse.
“Makes sense I guess” shrugged Twilight.
“Do you want me to go in with you on my back, making me look like a big softie? Or will you be alright going in without help?” she asked.
“I think I’ll be fine Eclipse” replied Twilight.
“Ok then” said Eclipse as she knelt down to let Twilight off.

Back on her hooves, Twilight’s legs wobbled but she eventually managed to regain full balance. She looked up at Eclipse, smiled and said “See, I’m fine.”
“Good” replied Eclipse, opening the door with her magic, “after you” she said to Twilight.