• Published 14th Nov 2014
  • 1,539 Views, 12 Comments

Holding It In Never Lets It Out - democritus



Rainbow Dash is acting strange. No, unusually strange, that is. She's acting like at once she has something to hide and wants nothing more than to scream about it.

  • ...
5
 12
 1,539

Chapter 2

Applejack slammed the door shut, and trudged through the living room to the nearest chair, leaving a trail of water in her wake. She sat down and immediately started scowling. Apple Bloom came from the kitchen to find out what the noise was about, and found her sister soaking wet and very unhappy.

"What in tarnation happened?! Did you fall in a lake?" Apple Bloom asked.

"What? Oh, it's you, Apple Bloom." Applejack shook her head, scattering drops everywhere. "No, rainstorm."

Apple Bloom looked out the window. "Really? There ain't a cloud in the sky."

"Different story in the south field. Rains weren't scheduled 'till Thursday, but Rainbow Dash had different ideas apparently," Applejack said. "It's hard enough to get her to bring 'em on schedule, but this?"

"I know, it ain't like her," Apple Bloom said.

Applejack slumped into the chair, squeezing drops of water out of it. "You don't know the half of it. Yesterday she knocked apples down, and day before that she put the buckets into place. I thought it was weird, but, you know, she's offering to help for once in her life without needing to have things thrown at her."

Apple Bloom frowned. "Then, what's the problem?"

"What's the problem? She's cost me a whole day's work for pony's sake, that's the problem!" Applejack snapped. "Sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you, it's just... she's thrown off the whole week, and I'm going to have to tell Weather Patrol about this and... urgh."

"Also you're completely drenched." Apple Bloom added wisely.

"Oh dangnabbit! I'm going to the porch to calm down and dry off!" Applejack walked out, and closed the door behind her.

Not two seconds later she walked back in with a towel around her neck.

"Rainbow Dash?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Yes, and how wonderfully thoughtful of her." Applejack said acidly. "I don't know what's gotten in to her. Does she owe me something? Are we holding her family hostage? Apple Bloom, have we kidnapped anypony recently?"

Apple Bloom shrugged. "Just a few unicorns."

Applejack sighed. "Then that's probably not it. As nice as it is to have her help out without yelling at her first, she goes too far too fast and plays it far too loose."

"Then why not just tell her to stop?" Apple Bloom asked. "Heck, she's probably still right outside."

Applejack shook her head again, flinging more droplets. "That would help now, yeah, but it wouldn't answer why. Oh well, if it were something really big she'd tell me, right?

"What would she keep secret from me?"