• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 640 Views, 9 Comments

Land of Loss - dusk flame



The pain of loss is an unusual thing. So what happens in a world of loss?

  • ...
3
 9
 640

Prologue

"Awaken, Guardian. Your departure is imminent."

I groaned as I was pulled from my dream dimension into the 'real world' of the Guardian's Call. As I stretched out the stiffness that my body had acquired, I telepathically berated the Oracle for his obvious use of mind-rape.

"Would you rather I send another Guardian to retrieve you? I try to avoid breaching the private space of another but exceptions can be made. Besides, I do believe you'll find this mission to be enjoyable."

Finding myself devoid of response, I facepalmed and began warping all around the Call to retrieve various items. When I had finished placing the last of my gathered supplies into my pocket space I made one last warp to the disembarkation chamber.

I waited for a few moments, eyes shut, trying to will away the extreme brightness of the pure white cube that I was standing in. After a few moments I felt a presence behind me, "So..." I began, hoping the Oracle would just explain everything for once, "what's so special about this mission?"

"You will be sent to the world of dragon riders. There is an increasing amount of corruption and if you'll observe the comet sphere I am sure you will see for yourself."

As he motioned towards a white and brown sphere behind him, I noticed black specks and lines that ran all throughout it. I stopped for a moment to take a look at the rest of the spheres that dotted the wall behind him; each one of the dozen a physical manifestation of and link to other universes, or Spheres of existence...


Daddy... can you tell me about your first mission again?

"You mean the one where I had to collect the spheres and release the Oracle from temporal stasis?"

Yea! That one's the best!

"Well... It all started on Earth really. I was given this pendant and it unlocked a whole bunch of powers! All of the ones that I've been practicing with you in fact, and with it I traveled first to the age of dinosaurs to collect the comet sphere, then to the planet of dragon riders to collect the Earth sphere, then I went to the world of metal to collect the Water sphere and that's when your mother and I...


I violently shook away the memory of my parents. When my gaze focused on the depression in the wall that was supposed to house the creation sphere, I couldn't help but let my mind wander once more.


What do you mean you have to go away and you don't know when you're coming back?! You ALWAYS know when you're coming back!

"Yes, I know and for that I'm sorry. You remember how my first mission ended, right?

How could I forget? You've only told me about a million times. First you gather the spheres, then you unfreeze the Oracle— but it turns out it unfroze his entire race. Then, when the Ulmegas returned, they tore holes all over the universe gathering up essence so they could transport themselves into Alpheron. After that reality broke, you met some dude and then you used your powers and the combined powers of the spheres to reorganize existence

"Yeaa... Well Jace, it turns out when the dimension walkers broke into Alpheron even it was rendered unstable. So now I have to go back and fix it or else everything on this end could break up even worse then the last time."

So you're leaving me too... Just like m—

"No. Plisca didn't leave us, she got pulled into a sort of void in reality... Look, things will become very difficult after I go but I WILL return someday... and when I come back I'll bring Plisca back with me too. I'll be able to fix the void she's trapped in while I'm back there... or at the least weaken the divide so she can escape. And who knows? Maybe just the act of going back will be enough to punch a hole in reality that she can use to get out... or at the very least send a message...


Once again I let the thoughts of my past fade. The Oracle was giving me an odd look so I gave him a sheepish grin in return and shrugged my shoulders. "Sorry... Were you saying something?"

"Your mission will begin with an unusually long jump so I will place you into a temporary stasis before I send you on your way. Good luck, Jason."

As the blinding radiance of the room began to Fade to Black I wondered what my next adventure had in store for me. Would I be fighting a horde of enemies? Or perhaps I'd have to rebuild a civilization... Maybe I'd get to life out a peaceful life with a family while protecting my friends and family from dark spawn abominations. Or maybe, just maybe, this'll be the trip where I finally get to...

Author's Note:

Looking back, I'm really glad I added this; I think it really does add a lot to the story... and if anything I wrote here begs for more information feel free to ask. If it's something you think should be told within the story I'll consider it, and if it's something you're fine with knowing via word of god that's fine too.

Also, to those reading this, I feel inclined to mention I'll be putting the story through a major rewrite at a later date. I just need to sort out a few more things before I'm ready to do so.