• Published 18th Jul 2013
  • 425 Views, 2 Comments

Flitter Hope: or How I learned to Live - Masters-of-the-Elements



I wasn't all to surprise when I turned into a pony, but after an event with my stepsister, I hit the road. But I'm not going to New York. instead, I going to find others like me and help if I can. Wish me luck

  • ...
 2
 425

A Not So Awkward Morning

Flittering Hope:
Or How I learn to Live
Chapter 1:
A Not so awkward Morning


Before the change that seems to affecting everyone around the world, I wasn’t anyone to talk home about. I was a 29 going on thirty-year-old living with my mother, stepfather, and stepsister due to my mother’s health issue, my step-dad’s job, and other things I don‘t feel like talking about right now. I work a simple, eight-to-five job, and make enough for simple things like a car, and a low grade smart-phone. I sometime even help out around my town, but I’m not a big social bug, nor am I anti-social either. I just don’t like big crowds that much.

But I think I’m starting to get a little off point here. Let start from where my life went from normal to semi-normal, and then totally crazy in short order. It was a normal day; I don’t know what day as I had stopped counting when a single week gained the length of a year. All I knew it was been three weeks, or sub-weeks as people and ponies of my small town call them, since the creator of “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” and the lead actress of show found themselves as the show’s princesses respectively.

I was shocked when my sister showed me that little video link, but I quickly used my little calming method and began to see this from a different angle. It figures that the show’s creator and it lead voicing talent would change into the princesses, it just seem natural for them to end up in those forms. After all, they were the creators and the pillar of that world, right? So, if we were looking at it from an angle, two things stick into my front of my mind. First; the change was happening at random, and second; the change was more organized and whatever was changing people was turning them into ponies best suit for them, or base on some sort of inner trait that no one else is aware of.

But since this probably Discord’s handy working, I believe the first one is the correct one.

Oh, I’m rambling again, aren’t I? Sorry about this, but that’s just how I am. When I see something I had to pick it apart, and look it over. I once even post a thread on a FIM form that Discord could have easily defeated the Mane Six if he had sent one of them to the farthest corner of the world that Equestria’s on. Or he could had taken the elements of Harmony and sent them farthest corners of the world, that way it would take mouths if not years for Twilight and her friends to find them. And I know it a cartoon, and needed a happy ending, but still if one thinks about it, he could have easily won if one uses one of those two mentioned methods.

Oh, I’m doing it again…bad Mike Anderson, bad. Don’t make me get the newspaper and spank myself. I know, I know, it sounds wrong no matter how you hear at it, but it’s the only way I knew of how to get my head on straight when I begin to ramble.

So, let try this a third time. I remember waking up to the buzzing of my alarm clock, and looked up at the nightstand were the item makes its home. Oh, and I forget to mention that I was in a sleeping bag. No, my bed wasn’t broken; I was just sleeping on my floor due to my own paranoid habits. Since the problems with my sister, I figure I would change sooner or later, and decided sleep on me floor. After all, I didn’t want to have the problem of getting out of bed when or if I change, now did I?

‘NEWSPAPER,’ a voice suddenly screamed back in my head.

I gave my head a quick shake and looked up. I frown when I noticed that my nightstand was higher then it should have been. Well, it happened, just like I figure it might, and to my own discredit, I did feel some fear swell up in me. I couldn’t push it down either as I looked where my hands are supposed to be and saw a grayish blue stump had replaced it. I couldn’t stop my fears as I struggle to get out of my sleeping bag, and get a better looked at my body. My fears only get worse when I finally pulled myself from my bag and get a good look at my new body. It has the same color coat as my stumps or hooves, and I see the three dragonflies on my ramp or flank, as the case would be, and frown. I also noticed the wings, meaning I was a Pegasus now. So what kind of pegasus pony has that kind of Cutie Mark?

Unfortunately, the fear was causing my usually calm and rational mind to lock up, and I couldn’t think straight. I took several deep breaths to try and calm myself, and decided it was time to get up. So, I rolled over to my stomach, and slowly put my hooves under me. I then slowly began to push myself up.

I would like to take this time to say some things; when it happened to stepsister, I decided to try and walk on all four, just incase it happened to me. And I can tell you this, a waste of two hours of my day!

First, even as human walking on all fours, the center of gravity on my human body was on the lower half. So to find your body with a center of gravity actually located at the center makes all the difference. Second, when you’re an adult male walking on your hands and knees, you’re still sub-consciously putting weight onto your legs to support your upper body. So, yeah, spending two hours walking on my hands and knees was a complete waste of a good three days.

‘NEWSPAPER,’ screamed the little voice in back of my head.

Well…I will spare you the detail of my failure at learning how to walk again, if you don’t count the numerous face plants and once nose dove into a large box of Magic: The Gathering cards and you got my morning. Finally, after creating a method, ironically, base on DDR, I was able to walk around clumsily. After ten minutes of walking, and getting the basics, I was confident enough to walk up to an full body mirror I had set up three days in advance, just in case.

I frown as I looked at my new mane, noticing how straight it was and how it went down side of my left eye, and hang in the air. The mane’s coloring was a lighter from of blue, maybe lilac, but I can’t be certain for a sure; I never have been good with colors. I looked at my new tail and noticed it was in the same style as my mane. I looked back at my reflection, and tried to put where I seen this pony’s face before.

My new deep grayish blue eyes widen even-so-slightly as I finally put a name with the face I was seeing. Flitter...that was the name that went with this pony’s body I was now in. She was a background pony whom appeared in the middle of the second season, with her friend, Cloudchaser. About the only thing that was missing was the pink bowtie that she wears.

“Now this is just too weird, even if I was expecting it,” I would admit, hearing my voice, and it not being my own was a little unsettling.

I would probably continuing poundering my new voice, if a suddenly noise didn’t reached my ears, causing them to moved in that direction. Yeah…I’m now thinking that those last three days of preparing myself was really a waste of time. I just couldn’t get use to this body and its functions. Still, the noise I just heard was in the front of my mind, and I could think of one person who could have caused it.

So, with a light sigh I looked away from the mirror and was about to leave. Oh, almost forget about that universal annoyance called an alarm clock. So, with another light sigh, I changed my direction and went over to my night stand. Instead of trying to get to the annoying device itself, I instead walked over to the expose right side of my stand, and with my right hoof, opened a little catch. I proudly watched as a clever design of my own invention went to work, and if I done it right, a small stump should hit the snooze button, until I could shut off the device myself.

And…I felt a number of things hit my flank. I looked behind to see small things, like my TV remote, and my phone had fallen off. Oh, and there was the clock, hanging over the edge, and still ringing. I frown curiously as I thought over my design. Clearly I did something wrong, if things fell off instead of a button being hit, like how I wanted it. Oh well, I’m a writer, not a gadget guy.

With a light shrug, or what passes for shrug in this body, I gently tip the snooze button with my left hoof, and was about to leave my room, thankful that I left the door open. I was about to leave, when I spotted something on the floor. I looked down, and to my surprise, it was a pink bowtie, just like the one that the pony I have becomes wears. I frown in thought, as I tried to remember what else was on my nightstand that could have probably changed into that. It didn’t take much thought, and I realized that the bowtie must have change from a black bandana I take great pride in.

It was the only thing that made sense, when I thought it. That bandana was gift from my late father, and I pretty much consider it a part of myself. And no, I don’t wear it because I have or had a thinning hairline. Nope, that’s not the reason at al…nope, nope, nope, nope, nope…

‘…NEWSPAPER,’ my scolding voice said in the back of my head.

Oh…right, noise and all. I almost left, but something in the back of my mind told me to do something with that bowtie. I eyed it lazily, knowing full well that I could never get into my hair, or mane without hands. And that left me with only one course of action, now matter how disgusting it was. I gulped as I lean down, taking note how flexible my neck had become, and took the item into my teeth.

Suddenly, I tasted strawberries, and my first thought was to spit out the bowtie. I was terribly allergic to strawberries, and I didn’t to suffer some sort of reaction, when I wasn’t in my own body. I immediately relax when that thought hit me. I wasn’t in my own body anymore, and thereby probably didn’t have my allergies either. Plus, this thing just tasted like the accursed fruit, which meant it probably just some sort of artificial favoring, not the real thing.

So with a light sigh around the item, I finally left my room. Thankfully, we live in a single story house. That would save me the embarrassment of having to figure out how to get down stairs, or worse, learning how to use these new wings. I did, however, stopped at a door not to far from my own. I took a seat in front of the door and carefully put the bowtie to my right and frown slightly as I looked at the door.

“Sara…? It’s Mike,” I said after a moment of hesitation.

I lean in closer, trying to hear anything, and I was answered with a soft, barely above a whisper whimper. My frown grew as I pulled my head away.

“Listen, I know I sound different, but it’s really me,” I said, trying to sound helpful. “I just wanted to let you know that you’re not in this alone anymore, and if there’s another you need, you can ask your big sister.”

I had added the big sister part as humor, hoping it would ease the stress my stepsister was feeling. Unfortunately all I got from her was a whimper, even softer then the last time. I would have missed it if it wasn’t for my pony ears keeping it up. I decided to leave my stepsister alone for the time being, and want to investigate the other sound.

I picked up the bowtie and continue down the hall, stopping over to give the door a final gaze. No one, rather they’re people, ponies, or people-turned-into-ponies should have to go through what my stepsister went through. I just hope that she will recover soon.

With a light sigh, muted through the bowtie, I faced forward and began to walk again. Even though my house is a single-story, doesn’t mean it small, and with my small body is felt even larger then before. It odd, when I think about it…yesterday I was just a normal adult, tempororily living with his family while my mother recovers, and now it was like I’m a stranger in the place I grew up in. It was both exciting and chilling at the same time, and one thought I didn’t want to think about.’

Finally, after a near two minute walk, I reached the kitchen, and was feeling really proud of myself. I was feeling far more comfortable in this pony body and was considering going for a short run later. I might even try flying to, if the weather was good enough. My mood was instantly ruined when I saw the one person in the kitchen that I didn’t want to see. I let out a deep angry sigh and caused the bowtie fell to the ground.

“MOM!! What do you think you’re doing?” I asked in a bit of angry/slight worry.

Author's Note:

The character of this story is soft of base on myself, it's just not me. I'm a little paranoid when it comes to giving out anything about myself online.