• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 1,094 Views, 11 Comments

Music: Life Essence - Ghij of Prophecy



A young man finds himself in Canterlot, when he was sure he was just taking a walk around his neighborhood.

  • ...
3
 11
 1,094

I Just Want My Music Back

"All my life, I've been a person who has never had the drive to do anything, whether it’s school or any other event that requires effort. It can usually take me five tries to just be able to open my eyes in the morning, and it takes me at least two hours to get to sleep at night.

“Now, don’t get me wrong, I can be up and about on some days. I can be a high functioning member of society… sometimes. Any other time, I’m sitting in my computer chair looking for new music or new videos, being a lazy sack of garbage all day and night.

I’m a great thinker, though.

“See, I believe in different theories for everything. Well, not theories, more like dumb explanations or stories for normal things in life that I want to make exciting. Like electronics and other things of that nature use magic but in a different way than usually depicted in stories and shows and whatnot. I will take one to the grave, or whenever fate decides it doesn’t like me anymore, that involves music.

“I truly believe that music is something in a class of its own. It feels as if it shouldn’t exist because of the power that it can have on a person. It’s evolved throughout time, as if it is a living being itself. It’s learning as it exists through everyone, whether they know it or not. A heart beats, much like that of a drum that gives music its pulse, and vice versa. It breathes through every living thing and every machine.

It’s a parasite.

“It latches onto the minds of living beings, becoming entangled in the minds of those living beings until it forces them to create. They create because the music in their mind tells them to. It demands that it be heard so it can spread to like-minded people throughout its ecosystem. Funny enough…

“We’ve welcomed it. All throughout human history, along with that of the ponies of Equestria, music has existed. It’s helped people escape from being slaves by sending secret messages in Early American History, and it’s helped with the cultural development of Equestria and all life on the planet.

It’s not something to laugh at. It is stronger than us, with or without the help of a sentient mind. It occurs in nature and other methods. It will always be around, and it will make itself known.”

I finished my speech with a smile and awaited the judging of the three princesses before me.

“May I see this essay, Mister Logan?” Princess Celestia asked.

I held out the paper, not wanting to overstep my boundaries. I could feel the tingle of the magical aura as it came in contact with the paper. Floating over to Celestia, then to Luna, and, finally, to Princess Twilight, it came back to me.

No matter how many times I come in contact with it, magic will always feel as if it’s a magnified joy-buzzer.

“We have looked over your essay,” Celestia spoke with a slight magnitude. “We have decided you may have your device back.”

A smile came over my face but it slipped away when all three of them rose from their thrones.

“If you tell us what it is.”

“Well, to put it simply, it plays music.” I looked to each princess, but their faces didn’t change.

“And how does it do this, Mister Logan? We’ve tried tampering with it with the use of magic, but it has yet to show us any results.” Princess Twilight asked in a calm, almost intrigued, fashion.

‘Oh, great. I have to teach pony goddesses how to use an iPod.’

“Could I see it, please? It would be easier to show you than to tell you, because I didn’t manufacture it.” I asked, holding out my hand.

Princess Celestia then retreated to a room behind the thrones and shut the door. She came out a few minutes later, levitating my iPod with magic. She handed it to me, and proceeded to remain standing. “Come closer, and show us this device.” She gestured with a hoof to how close I should come. I obeyed and began to fumble with it. The screen lit up and showed my background with the slide bar above it. I slid it sideways and showed the princesses what was on the main screen. It had all the apps on it, but I moved them all except for Music and Minecraft Portable. I then opened up the music app and showed it to the princesses again.

“Go ahead and tap one of the song names. You can also scroll down by doing this.” I slid my finger down the screen and moved it a couple times so they could see how to do it. Princess Luna scrolled around a couple times and found a random song that she apparently thought was interesting.

“Final Fantasy? What is that?” She inquired.

“It’s a game. This is a song from the soundtrack.” I could see that she was still a little lost, but I tapped the song anyway. The battle theme from Mystic Quest started up, and immediately I was hit with mixed reactions. Twilight was surprised, Luna still looked a little lost, and Celestia’s face hadn’t changed. The song died away, and I hit pause to keep it from playing again.

“See? It’s not a threat; it’s purely for my enjoyment.” I said. The princesses seemed pleased with the demonstration.

“Very well, you may leave. But we will be keeping an eye on you.” Said the bigger of the sisters.

“Understandable. Thank you… but, I do have one question.” I said.

“And what might that be?”

“Well, you let me stay here for as long as needed to create this essay and reclaim my possession. Now that I’ve done that, I have nowhere to go. It’s like I said when I arrived here; I don’t know anyone and I only have this and the clothes on my back.” I stated as a wave of realization washed over me. I could feel the little tears on the outsides of my eyes, but I fought them back when I remembered that I was in front of the rulers of the world I’ll now be living in.

“Yes, that could be a problem… Twilight, may I speak with you for a moment?” Celestia led her former student to the same room she went in to get my iPod from. The way they conversed, along with the way they moved, was done in a very professional manner. It boggled my mind how Twilight could appear so regal, with only a few months of being a princess. Well, to my knowledge.

As Celestia shut the door, I looked around the throne room. It was a nice, faded gray all around. The chandelier hanging above me was beautifully crafted with intricate designs that must have been created by a master. The Sun and Moon, along with the sisters that represent them, were depicted all around the room. The walls were lined with a nice silver and gold that would intertwine and the corners.

Outside it was a nice, almost springtime, day. The birds were chirping and singing, the wind was pushing just hard enough to be noticed and considered a breeze, and the rolling hills looked as if they were changing shape because of the wiggling grass moving from the slight wind. It was a breathtaking scene, and I was half tempted to boot up the camera on my iPod, but thought against it just in case Luna thought I was lying to them. I caught myself smiling, something that happens a lot in this world. My reasoning is that the residual magic in the air affects human emotions.

My attention was torn away from the beautiful scenery by the opening of a door. The two princesses walked back in, and all three took their seats.

“Now, before we give you any information of your place of residence, we have a series of questions for you.” Celestia put her hooves together, a serene look taking over her face.

“Do humans have the ability to utilize the arcane arts?”

“No, not to my knowledge. We have fairy tales of how we could cast magic spells and things of that nature, but it was never proven to be correct.”

“Do you have any ill intentions towards our world?”

“Heavens, no. I never had any bad intentions on my own world, let alone this one. You’ve been nice to me this whole time I’ve been here and I have no idea as to why I would dislike you at all.”

“Very well. Do you know anything about us?”

“Nothing. All I know is that we think alike and that you are a sentient race. Well, that and that you can use magic.”

“Twilight, would you like to take over?” Celestia turned to look at the other princess.

“Certainly.” She stood up and walked over to me. She stood about a meter away, and stood tall and straight. “What are your normal eating habits?”

“Like, my diet?” She nodded. “Well, fruit and vegetables, grains, and meat.”

That didn’t seem to go over well with her.

“Is meat your main source of nourishment?” She asked.

“No, I can completely disregard it and still live a healthy life. I’ve never really liked meat, so I usually just stick the fruits and vegetables.”

“So you’re an omnivore. What is the average height for your species?”

“Thinking off the top of my head, probably around six feet.” I said while trying to remember how tall I was.

“Weight?”

“Oh, I have no idea. It varies with age.”

“Average sleeping habits?”

“Well, were supposed to get eight hours of sleep every night.”

“Can you hold out your hand?” I obeyed. She enveloped my hand in a purple aura. “How do you react to magic?”

“It’s like a buzzing sensation.” I said between giggles.

“It doesn’t hurt, or burn?” She asked. The color of the magic was getting darker.

“No, it just tickles!” I said as it continued to deepen in color. I started laughing, and tears were forming down my cheeks.

The magic dissipated, along with the tickling feeling, and I regained my sense my mind.

“That’s odd. That magnitude of magic would normally kill.” She said with a mystified tone.

“Wait, you were trying to kill me?” I asked as I was wiping away my tears.

“No, no. I was just running some tests. When you said it only tickled, I increased the power little by little.” She explained.

“Well, glad I could help.” I said, inspecting my hand for any damage. “Any other tests?”

“Just one… hold your breath.” She said. I didn’t have time to think about what she said, let alone do what she said before she wrapped my body in magic. The buzzing in my ears was unbearable, as well as the force coming from all sides. The buzzing grew louder, and with it, my sense of reality slipped away.

The only way I can describe it, is as if I was passing out. My vision darkened, the buzzing grew so loud that I couldn’t hear anything, my whole body felt numb and lifeless, and my mind went blank. I couldn’t think, I didn’t even know what was happening at that point, and it only lasted what felt like a second before she released the magic.

My vision was slowly starting to creep back in, as well as my hearing, but it was muffled. I could hear voices, but I couldn’t discern whose voices they were.

I noticed that I must have fell over after she stopped the flow of magic, because I had been lying on my back.

Everything was so bright, almost like life was made of Neon lighting, and a very loud bell was all I could hear. My skin felt like it was made of rubber and any move I made resulted in a very troubling feeling in the pit of my stomach. My head was pounding and aching, almost as if someone gave me a new brain.

It took about five minutes, but I was finally able to think and move on my own.

“Ugh… what, uh, what was that?” I asked no one in particular. The voices around me stopped.

“Are you alright, Mister Logan?” A soft voice called out to me. A warm feeling came over my body as I realized I was under a warm blanket.

“I don’t… know.” I said. ‘This magic shit sucks…”

“You should be fine, although the magic used on you was very heavy indeed.” The voice belonged to Celestia.

“What happened?”

She then explained that the magic that Twilight had used had searched through my memories, my knowledge, and everything that my brain had stored.

“Do not worry; we did not tamper with anything in your mind. We just searched it in order to figure out some things about your world, and more about you. We wanted to make sure you weren’t lying about the information you gave us.” The more she spoke, the more I could think straight.

“I assume you found nothing that would find me guilty?” I pushed myself up to lean against the headboard of the bed I was now laying in.

“You were telling the truth.” A new voice chimed in. I looked to my right and found the source of the voice.

“Princess Twilight, remind me never to get on your bad side.” I said with a chuckle.