• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 593 Views, 4 Comments

Pony Life - JetWave Wavewind



Life in Equestria isn't all just peaches and cream. For some ponies, it can be hard and trying. This story follows the life of Ivory Blossom and his friends in their trials.

  • ...
 4
 593

Ch. 9

Margret woke us up the next morning to get ready for school. We were both ready to go and had everything we'd need, except...

"We don't have anything for school!"

Ok so I lied, we were totaly unprepared. Luckily for us, Margret had two saddle bags that she let us use and since we lived in the Library, books wouldn't be an issue. We said bye to Margret and Scoots, the latter wanting to come with us even though she was still too young to go; and headed out the door. "So, a-are you as excited as I am for our first day of school?" Lemmy asked as we walked. "Yeah, even though I didn't expect us to be going while we were here."

"Then again, I didn't expect us all to be adopted either!" I added with a smile. "Y-yeah!" She said with a small smile of our own. "I-it still feels kinda awkward viewing you as a brother, but I-I definitely don't have THOSE feelings for you anymore."

"You'll get used to the idea." I said as I messed up her mane, causing her to giggle. "Lemon Wedge!" An elegant, yet young voice called out. We turned to look and saw a white unicorn filly with a purple mane waving at us. Lemmy waved back as she walked up next to us. "Hi Rarity." She said. "How are you darling," Rarity said as she whispered something in her ear that caused Lemmy to giggle nervously. "Aheh, well.. Things took an unexpected turn and now he's my brother."

"Oh, does that mean he's available then?" I looked at them both in confusion as Lemmy lit up red and Rarity seemed to have something in her eyes by the way she was blinking.

~<(^)>~

Before we knew it we were at the schoolhouse where there were a few fillies and colts were playing outside waiting for class to start. Rarity and Lemmy went off somewhere, probably to talk about girl stuff; while I walked over to a familiar pony at the swing set. "Hey there Big Mac." I said as I walked up to him. "Howdy." He said as he motioned to the adjacent swing beside him.

I sat in it and began fluttering my wings to give me a bit of propulsion. "So what's it like here?" I asked. "It's nice," He said as we both swung. "Miss Karen is sweet, our classmates are all good ponies even though some of them have their quirks." I put a bit more thrust into my next swing and he seemed to notice as he matched it. "Think you can out-swing me?" I said with a chuckle as I began beating my wings faster and faster.

I didn't notice that I was going completely around the swing set and running out of chain before it was too late as I was pinned against the top bar by the wood plank under my flank. Down below, I saw Big Mac grinning like he had just one a bet. "Nope, but I can outsmart ya." He said as he bucked the set hard enough to make me fall on my face. He offered me a hoof to lift me up and I gladly took it with a sheepish grin on my face.

~<(^)>~

"S-so, I know I already asked you this yesterday but, w-what's it like here?" I squeaked, trying not to irritate Rarity. I recoiled as she put a tender hoof on my shoulder to calm me down. "It's ok darling, it's perfectly normal to be nervous on the first day." She said as we walked over to a tree and sat down underneath it. "As I said before, Miss Karen is really nice and so are our classmates. The only one you really want to be careful around is Ditzy."

"Why?"

"It's nothing against her personally, she's a very nice pony and a real go getter. The only thing is that she's really clumsy."

"Oh." The next thing I knew both me and Rarity were hit by a grey pegasus filly with a blonde mane when she tried to come in for a landing. "Oops, sorry Rarity." She said as she got off of us. "It's quite alright Ditzy.." Rarity said as she got up. Ditzy was examining me with one eye as the other looked off towards the schoolhouse in the distance. Even though it was only from one eye it still made me feel nervous and I shrank away from her gaze. She broke out into a smile and helped me up to my hooves. "You must be new here, I'm Ditzy Doo!" She said as she held out her hoof.

"I-I'm Lemon Wedge." I said as I shook her hoof. "Nice to meet you! Sorry for crashing into you just now.." She said as she rubbed the back of her head. "Oh no, it's fine!" I said, not wanting her to feel bad. "I'm no pegasus but I'm sure it's not very easy to fly." She visibly brightened up at that. "Thanks Lemmy!" She said with a smile.

"Alright my little ponies! It's time for class!" A nasally, yet still sweet voice voice called from the schoolhouse and Me, Ditzy, Rarity, and all the other ponies in the schoolyard came running to the schoolhouse to begin the day.

~<(^)>~

The class room wasn't very big, but it seemed to be enough to hold all the ponies here. I sat up front between a cream coated earth pony with a navy and pink curled mane and a mint green unicorn with a slightly lighter green mane with streaks of white in it. Lemmy was sitting a few seats over beside Rarity and behind a pony I assumed was the filly who made the muffins for Margret the other day. We were all idly chatting with each other while Miss Karen wrote the assignment on the board. "Alright class, settle down. Now before we begin with todays lesson I would like for you all to meet two new students that will be joining us today, why don't you two come up here and introduce yourselves."

Me and Lemmy stood up and walked to the front of the room when she said that. I could tell that Lemmy was nervous so I introduced both of us. "I'm Ivory Blossom, and this is my sister Lemon Wedge. We both recently moved here from Manehatten." I said. Just as we were about to take our seats, Miss Karen spoke up again. "Ooo, Manehatten! Why don't you tell the class what it was like up there?" She said.

I looked out to the class and they were all leaning in to hear what we had to say, especially AppleJack. "I-it was a nice city, though it was too fast paced for us. So we moved here." Lemmy said. "Are there any questions anypony would like to ask before we start the lesson?" Miss Karen asked the class. Somepony in the back put his hoof up. Miss Karen told him to go ahead and ask. "Um, did you ever go see the Statue of Equinity?"

"N-no, but we have been to Central Park." Lemmy said. He nodded and another ponies hoof went up, this time it was AppleJacks. "Do y'all wish you coulda stayed?"

"Sometimes, we had a lot of good friends there but the good was out-weighed by the bad for us so we moved here." I answered. She had a big grin on her face as another pony put their hoof up, this time it was a filly with a poofy orange mane. "How did you get to Ponyville?" She asked. "Isn't it obvious Carrot Top? They took the train of course!" A magenta earth pony with a purple mane called out. "A-actually, we didn't have enough money for the train all the way from Manehatten." Lemmy said, causing the small ruckus from before to quiet down as everypony became even more interested in what we had to say. "Then how did you get here all the way from Manehatten!"

"Well," I started out before Mrs. Karen interrupted me. "Ok class, I'm sure we're all interested in Ivory and Lemon Wedge's story but we still have to get to today's lesson. You may continue with your story after lunch."

"Ok then." I said as me and Lemmy took our seats. "Now, please turn in your Equestrian History Books to Chapter 3."

~<(^)>~

Mrs. Karen finished the lesson quickly and I ate my lunch with Ditzy and Rarity at our desks. Margret had packed my favorite today, a daffodil sandwich sprinkled with hayseeds; and I was ready to dig in immediately. "So, how did you get here from Manehatten if you didn't take the train Lemon Wedge?" Rarity asked as I was about to bite into my sandwich.

"Oo! Oo! I wanna know too!" Ditzy cried out as she fluttered out of her desk for a second. We had turned our desks towards each other so we would be able to talk while we ate. "W-well, it's a bit of a long story.. A-and Rarity, you remember that stallion we had bumped into last night when we were walking home?" I asked.

"Yes?"

"W-well, he's a-actually a private investigator from Manehatten."

"Of course he was darling, but what does that have to do with anything?"

"Because.. The filly he was looking for is the one me and Ivory ran away with when we came down here." I said. Ditzy gasped in shock as she stared at me with her good eye and Rarity looked as though she was about to faint. I wasn't surprised by their reaction at all, how else could you react when somepony just told you that you were avoiding any kind of law enforcement? "So were you really planning on staying here, or was this just a one pit stop before you got back to living on the lam.." Ditzy said in a gravely voice as she did her best to glare at me from just above the desk which caused Rarity to face-hoof. "Y-y-yes! Of course! Me and Ivory had made a plan to come down here since the first night! I don't know why we wouldn't stay here! What if he finds her!"

"Lemon Wedge."

"Or if she runs into him whenever we go out!"

"Lemon Wedge.."

"Or..!"

"Lemon Wedge!" Rarity shouted, snapping me out of my rambling. "Huh?" I said as I shook my head clear. "Sorry for shouting darling, but you are worrying to much about this. As long as he doesn't have to check out a book while he's here you'll be fine."

"O-ok.."

"Now get back to your story!" Ditzy cried as she crawled back into her seat. "R-right, um... Oh! Well, w-what we were going to do was hike down to Fillydelphia and take the train from there to Ponyville during the night. But when we stopped on the edge of the woods that were there for the night to rest we woke up in the middle of the forest." I explained, causing them both to gasp. "Oh! Talk about dreadful!" Rarity cried, looking like she might faint again. "How do you think it happened?" Ditzy asked.

"I don't know.. B-but whatever it was, we didn't have our saddlebags with all our supplies when we woke up."

"Oh my...." Rarity said as she made a face that said she was imagining the idea. "How'd you get out?" Ditzy asked, eager for me to continue. "We a-actually came across a small town made up of mostly bat ponies called Hollow Shades that had some sort of spell on it that kept it in constant night."

"What's a bat pony?" Ditzy asked. "Think pegasus with bat wings darling." Rarity said. "Y-yes, anyway, we were lucky that it there was a train station there but the train to ponyville only came in every two days and it had just left that day we got there so we went to stay with the Apple Family."

"You mean the same Apple Family as AppleJack and Big Mac?" Ditzy asked, causing Rarity to sigh dreamily. "He's such a stallion.." She said as she looked off into space. The whole scene had made Ditzy roll her eyes, causing them to be in alignment for a split second. "Yeah, he's a nice pony. But I still have my heart set on one colt, and one colt only.." She said as she started to drift into space, causing Rarity to come out of her daydream almost as though only one pony could daydream at a time. "If you're talking about Turner, it's never going to happen unless you actually talk to him for once." She said as she started eating the salad she had brought.

"I talk to him!" Ditzy cried as a small blush came to her face. "Words such as, 'err..' and 'igottagobye!' don't count darling." Rarity retorted, causing Ditzys face to scrunch up.

"W-who's Turner?" I asked, glad that they had stopped paying attention to me right before the most embarrassing part of my story. "He made it a point that he prefers to go by his full name on the first day!" Ditzy shouted. "Then how come no one ever calls him by it, hmm?" Rarity asked.

"Because.. Because... Ugh!" Ditzy cried as she got up and started walking outside. "Ditzy! Where are you going?" Rarity called right before she got to the door. She looked back at us and blinked hard, bringing her eyes into alignment for the time. "To prove you wrong." She said as she went outside.

~<(^)>~

The lesson went by fast since we had taken up most of the class talking about how we got to Ponyville. I had forgotten my lunch at the Library so I sat on a bench outside and soaked up the sun and before long that I fell asleep. "Excuse me, but have you seen a pair of pink glasses lying around here?" I heard a voice say.

I opened my eyes and saw a unicorn colt standing in front of me. His coloration was definitely one of the odder ones seeing as how he was a very dark navy with a poofy sky blue mane and slicked back green tail with a magenta and white striped button-up and a watch on his left hoof. "You mean the ones above your horn?" I asked, gesturing to the pair that was hanging on his horn as I sat up.

"Huh? Oh! That's where I put them!" He said as he brought them down to where they would be of use. "Hey, I know you! You're the new colt from Manehatten!"

"Yeah, Ivory Blossom." I said as I held out my hoof. "Fruitcake."

"Nice to meet you, wanna sit down?" I asked, patting a spot on the bench. "Sure!"






We talked for a good while, I had told him about me and Lemmys trip down here and what it was like and we had struck up a nice conversation afterwards. "Really?! All of that happened just from trying a levitation spell?" I asked, stunned. "Yep, and it gets wilder! After the spoon bounced off the clock from the orange falling, it caused one of the knives hanging on the wall to fall on the counter, do a couple of flips, and slice off part of my ear!" He said as he gestured to a fair sized gash on his right ear.

We had been talking about the things that we had done to either injure or extremely embarrass ourselves for almost all of lunch time and that story definitely took the cake. "Oh, and I was wondering, why are your eyes so hazy?" I asked. "I was born half blind which is why I have to wear these super thick glasses."

"Really? Wow, I wouldn't ever take them off if my eyes were like that!"

"You would if wearing them made it gradually worse each day."

"They do?"

"In my case they do, that's why I have to take them off for a few hours each day to counter it."

"Sounds rough.."

"It's not that bad, it's just annoying when I forget where I put them."

"Like on top of your head?" I quipped, causing both of us to laugh our flanks off.

~<(^)>~

Me and Rarity were hiding behind a tree where we watched as Ditzy was trying to work up the courage to go talk to a brown colt with an hourglass cutie mark sitting with a crimson colt at a picnic table. "Oh, I do hope I got her mad enough.. She seems to be loosing her nerve." Rarity said, causing me to snap around and look at her.

"W-what??" I asked in shock.

"You see, Ditzy has been trying to get the confidence to even talk to Turner ever since the first day of school this year but has never been able to get more than incoherent nonsense out whenever they do get within conversation distance."

"O-oh, why is she so nervous?"

"I think it might be that he already had his Cutie Mark when he came here and she's one of the only ponies in class that still doesn't have her Cutie Mark."

"O-ok." I said, immediately getting a shush from Rarity as she pointed to Ditzy who had started walking towards the picnic table, albeit as slowly as possible. "H-hi there, T-t-time Turner...." She said, we were close enough to where we could just hear what they were saying. He looked over to the other colt that was sitting next to him and the colt gave a nod. "Well, I think Ah'm gonna go play in the sand over there. Ah'll See ya later Turner."

"Alright then, see you later Mac." Turner said as Mac started walking towards us. "Wait, why is he coming this way?" I thought to myself. "The sandbox is over there! No! Stop! You'll blow our cover!" I looked over to Rarity who had lost focus on Ditzy and Turner and was now paying full attention to the colt that was now coming towards us. "Oops, is this spot taken?" He asked when he got to the tree. "Y-yes, I'm afraid i-it-" I started before Rarity interrupted me.

"It can be shared!" She cried, almost blowing our cover. "Thank ya kindly." He said as he got down between us and looked on at the picnic table where Ditzy and Turner were now both sitting at, though they seemed rather awkward about it. "S-so Mac, why are you s-spying on Ditzy?" I asked. "Ah ain't spyin' on Ditzy, Ah'm observin' Turner. He's been trying to ask that mare over there out for weeks, but whenever he tries to talk to her she starts spouting a bunch of gibberish and bolts." He said, causing me and Rarity to exchange glances and giggle. We stopped when we heard somepony else giggling and saw that Turner must have said something funny since they were both laughing softly.

When they opened their eyes Ditzy immediately stopped laughing and hid her face for no reason. It puzzled him and when he brought her face up to his her eyes were shut tight. "What's wrong?" He asked. "Nothing!" She said with a fake laugh as she opened her eyes.

He obviously didn't believe her as he sat there looking back at her not saying anything. She sighed and closed her eyes, causing them to go back to their normal formation of looking ahead and examining something in the distance. He chuckled and she hid her face again. "Aw c'mon, I like your eyes. Even when they aren't looking at the same thing." He said, causing her to look back up at him.

"Really?" She asked. "Of course," He said as he nuzzled her cheek, causing her to blush. "They're part of who you are." At this, jumped up from the picnic table and tackled him in a hug, causing both of them to fall on the ground. As they sat there laughing and me and the other two ponies behind the tree looked on at the adorable scene, I saw something sparkle on her flank.

I looked closer to see that an image was coming into view. "Ditzy! Your Cutie Mark!" I shouted with volume that I hardly ever used. She looked up at me and seemed kind of mad before I realized that I had just blown our cover. Luckily Turner distracted her from her anger by pointing at her flank which now contained a column of bubbles on it. We all ran over to the two of them to look at it up close.

"Ditzy! What happened? How did you get your Cutie Mark just by talking to Turner! And, why is it a bunch of bubbles?" Rarity asked when we got up to them. "I dunno. At first I was super nervous but when we started talking I started to loosen up and when he said he actually liked my eyes I got all bubbly on the inside and gave him a big hug!" She said with a smile. "W-well, at least you have your Cutie Mark now! Congratulations!" I said.

"And maybe a new coltfriend?" Rarity added with a wink that caused Ditzy to blush. "Eeyup." Mac said from behind us, causing all of us to look at him. Ditzy turned back to look at Turner first and the rest of us turned when we heard her squeal and hug him. "Alright class! It's time to get back to the lesson!" Mrs. Karen called from the school house as we all went running.

~<(^)>~

"Ivowy!! Wemmy!! You'we back!" An energetic Scootaloo cried as me and Lemmy got back to the library. "How was your first day of school?" Margret asked as she came in from upstairs.

"It was great! Apparently somepony got their Cutie Mark during lunch today." I said. "Really! That's exciting, who was it?" She asked. "It was Ditzy!" Lemmy said, practically beaming.

"Ooo! Let me guess! Um, was it.. an oven?" Margret asked.

"Nope." Lemmy said.

"A muffin!"

"Nu-uh."

"A muffin pan?"

"You're never gonna get it."

"Then tell me!"

"Bubbles." Lemmy said, trying to hide the grin on her face.

"Bubbles?" Margret asked in confusion.

"I-it surprised me too." Lemmy said. "Ivowy! Why did you no take you'we wittle sista Scootawoo ta school wit chu?" Scoots said as she looked up at me. I chuckled and picked her up. "Tell ya what. In a few days, maybe me and Lemmy can take you up to the school house and we can play on the playground there. How's that sound?"

"Yay!" She cried as she hugged my neck. "Alright my little ponies, I just got supper ready a few minutes before you got back so why don't we go ahead and eat before it gets cold."

"From the guy who forgot his lunch here, that sounds like a great idea!" I said as my stomach growled while we went into the kitchen to eat.

Author's Note:

Wow, sorry I took so long to get this up! And it isn't even that long of a chapter. And I'm sorry to say that like Ivory and Lemmy, school is in session for me too now. :fluttershysad: And that means that uploads between chapters are quite possibly going to have even bigger gaps in between them.. :fluttercry: Anyways, bad news aside enjoy this new chapter and I'll try and update as often as possible! :pinkiehappy: