• Published 10th Jul 2013
  • 1,735 Views, 41 Comments

Ponies and Grey Wardens: A Dark Spawn - Icecane



Sequel to previous Dragon Age story. Dark forces from both worlds meet and Equestria and Thedas are in danger of being consumed by it.

  • ...
5
 41
 1,735

Separated Again

With a pleasant sigh, Twilight's eyes opened to a new day. Rising from the sheets that covered her, the semi-familiar surroundings of the Warden-Commander's room appeared to her. Despite hardly knowing of the place, just knowing that it all belonged to him filled her with a sense of comfort. The bed still felt so soft, so cozy, it almost made the unicorn want to fall back asleep. But as she stretched her limbs out across the mattress, she realized that something was missing, or someone.

The absence of the commander made her sit fully upright on the bed, fully awake as her gaze traveled across the room she was in. It took only a matter of moments for her sudden spark of concern to be extinguished as she spotted the black-haired human. Dressed in his usual garb, the Warden sat at his desk as his eyes remained riveted to the surface. Clutched in his hand was a quill, scrawling across several pieces of parchment, only stopping momentarily to dip it into the nearby inkwell.

Hearing the rustle of his bedsheets, the commander's gaze was broken from his work, a warm smile showing on his lips before he turned back to his desk. “Good morning,” he said to her, “I hope you're feeling better.”

“Still feeling weak,” Twilight murmured as she climbed out of bed. Approaching the human, the mare's gaze fell onto his desk, trying to see what he was writing. “What are you doing?”

“Just getting a few things ready before I have to leave,” he said, his tone made all the more clear to make sure the pony heard him.

Twilight's eyes only widened, not understanding him fully. “You... you're leaving?” she asked, a tinge of worry and confusion in her voice.

Sighing sullenly, the commander nodded his head. “Yes,” he replied. “I have to make a trip down into the Deep Roads, where the darkspawn dwell. It'll take a few days, three at the least, two if I'm luck.”

“You're fighting those monsters?” the unicorn blurted, more confused than ever. All she could think of where the beasts of his world she had seen already, the demon that had possesed her, and the nightmarish monster that had nearly taken the Warden's life. It made her heart race, the fluttering beat matching her own unsteady breath. “W-why would you do that?” Without giving the Warden a chance to respond, she was already upon the human. Wrapping her forelegs around him tightly, she embraced him as hard as she could, burying her face into his chest as the cloth of his shirt became damp with tears.

“Twilight...” the commander murmured, running a hand through her mane. But he was stopped as the mare shook her head violently.

“No, I don't want you to go!” she cried childishly, the sound of sniffling being heard through her tantrum. “Please... I don't want to see you in danger anymore. I don't want to be separated from you any longer. It's been too long, too long! Why does it have to be so hard? Why does it matter that we're from different worlds?”

Minutes passed as the commander sat there, waiting for Twilight's sadness to end. When her shaking body and sniffling stopped, he lifted her head up from his wet shirt and smiled softly. “Come now, Twilight,” he said with a light mirth, “I know you're stronger than this. Besides, that's exactly why I have to go.” Gingerly wiping away the tears still clinging to her face, he continued. “Do you remember why we all had to part ways before? How the Fade was tearing its way into your world from ours? Our connection to it allowing you to be attacked by that demon? Well... now we may have found a way past that.”

Stunned shock flashed across the lavender-coated mare's eyes as she whispered, “Really?”

The Warden-Commander's smile broadened. With a nod of his head, he wrapped his arms around the mare just as tightly as she did to him, saying, “Yes! Thanks to Anders, and a little help, we might just have a way to deal with the Fade.”

“So you need to leave?” Twilight then asked.

“Yes,” the Warden stated. “But I won't be away for long.”

It didn't take long for the mare to understand, what the Warden was trying to do to fully dawn on her. Though it pained her to know he was leaving her side so soon, putting himself in danger all the while, it filled her heart with a hope that she was refused years ago. Tears drying, the scholar hugged him yet again, whispering, “Just... be safe...”

Chuckling lightly, the hug was returned as the Grey-Warden said, “Of course.”

Holding each other close, the commander's mind slowly began to realize one detail, Twilight's presence within the keep. He couldn't risk letting everyone be aware of what was happening, unsure as to what it would bring. It brought a new concern to his thoughts as they raced to find an adequate solution.

Separating, the Warden-Commander made sure no more tears remained on the unicorn's face before he stood up. Eyes cast between the door and the mare in front of him, he paused for a moment before saying, “Wait here, I need to get everything ready for the trip. I'll be back soon.”

“Alright,” Twilight murmured, watching as the Warden quickly grabbed the papers he had been writing on and left the chamber. Left alone, the typical curiosity that the scholarly pony had began to resurface, her gaze becoming drawn to a small bookshelf at the far off wall.


The halls and passing Grey-Wardens were barely registered to the commander as his quickened step hurried him along. Those who did see the Warden-Commander noted how strange he was acting. Holding his chin in thought as he mumbled to himself. None were able to listen in long enough to make heads or tails of it.

“Anders and Alistair are obviously out of the question,” he murmured. “Of course, Shale is still in Orlais. Who else...?” A groan escaped him as he thought on his only option. “Ugh, guess I've no other choice... Need to find Varel though.”

As if by luck, the two crossed paths in the hallway leading into the throne room, the old warrior looking as though he was ready to take off looking for something himself. “Oh, Commander,” he said readily. “I was just about to go looking for you. Tearser has returned to the keep and we have a guest looking to see you.”

“A guest?” the commander questioned, folding his arms indignantly. “I've already made it clear. I'm not here to entertain guests. Unless it's important, you can send them away.”

Barely finishing his sentence, Commander Cousland's voice was ended with the sudden swing of the nearby door. Stepping through, a man dressed in a fine attire fit for nobility, the front depicting the heraldry of Highever, stepped toward the two, grinning from ear to ear as he eyed the commander. “Is that how it is then?” he questioned in mock hurt. “You're too important now to even see your only family?”

Seeing the man, the commander's face brightened. “Fergus!” he said happily, grabbing the teyrn of Highever in a crushing hug. “It's been ages, brother.”

A wheezing gasp escaped him as he was lifted off of the ground, feeling as though he was about to be broken in half. Fergus could only offer a weak chuckle as he was set back down, reeling from the powerful embrace. “Now I see why people are surprised when they find out that I'm the eldest,” he said winded, patting his little brother on the shoulder.

A confident laugh came from him as he poked at the man's chest. “Maybe you should try taking on an entire Blight,” he retorted in a joking manner. “How's the old homestead been treating you? The place still standing?”

“As mighty as ever,” Fergus answered. “You should come and see it sometime. You haven't been there since we fully rebuilt it two years back.”

“I've been busy,” the Warden said simply. “I have my own little corner of Ferelden to run you know, not to mention I think the keep would fall apart if I wasn't here. Speaking of which...” Facing Varel, the commander handed him the papers he was still carrying.

“What's this?” the old warrior questioned as he examined the papers. “A list of supplies? And... orders to follow while you're away? But, Commander, I...”

“I'm planning a bit of a trip, Varel,” responded the Warden. “I trust you can get things ready for me without delay. Also, send word to Aseril and Tearser, I'd like them to accompany me.”

“Going somewhere, little brother?” Fergus asked, curious himself.

Eyes passing to his brother for only a moment, the commander kept his gaze on Varel, the answer being for him just as much as it was for the one asking. “To the Deep Roads in fact. There's a pressing matter I need to see to.”

Shock showed clearly on the seneschal's face. “The Deep Roads?” he murmured. “With only meager supplies and two other men? Certainly more precautions need to be taken, Ser. I don't even think those two have ever faced a darkspawn before, let alone ventured into their pit.”

“What better way to practice?” the commander retorted amusingly. “And there's no Blight. There might be a bit more of the monsters down there, but they won't be much of a challenge in their current state.”

A smirk came from Fergus, having the utmost confidence in his brother's abilities. “Well, if it's an expedition you're planning, then I won't keep you,” he said, giving his brother a light pat before directing his eyes toward the exit. “I'm headed to Denerim for business with the king. Thought I'd stop by for a quick hello on my way. But my traveling companions get antsy if we stray from the path for too long, so I should get back to it.”

Nodding his understanding, the commander took his brother's hand and gave it a firm grip. “Farewell, Fergus. Do give Alistair my regards.”

“Of course, brother,” the teyrn replied, turning to leave with simple wave of his hand goodbye.

With no other company present, the commander soon turned to his seneschal. “Varel,” he said pointedly, “please do as I've asked. There's something I must attend to before leaving.”

Though with a clear aversion of the Grey-Warden's plan written on his face, the old warrior gave a respectful nod all the same, saying, “Right away, Commander.” With that, the two parted ways, with Varel off to complete his tasks and the commander in search of a certain red-haired Warden.

The keep's kitchen, dining hall and cellar were quickly searched and left, none housing the one that the commander was looking for. It seemed odd to him, being the usual places he'd be. Not remembering ever sending him off with a task, he had to still be in the keep. Perhaps curled up in a dark corner while nursing a hangover.

With the first places he'd look having been eliminated, all the Warden could think of was searching his room, being close to the cellar for obvious reasons. Walking through the hall leading to the section of barracks that had the Grey-Warden's room, the commander held his chin in thought as he continued his earlier mumbling.

“Hopefully he's here,” he said quietly to himself. “If not, I suppose I'll have to get the hounds to sniff him ou-” Surprised, a sudden gasp escaped him as he turned a corner, feeling a sharp yank on his leg before his world was turned upside down, literally.

It took several moments for the commander's senses to readjust, but he soon found himself suspended several feet off the ground. His body swayed while his arms dangled down toward the ground, blood rushing to his head from his upturned perspective. Managing to turn his head slightly, he caught sight of a rope wrapped tightly around his ankle, hanging him up like hunted game.

A familiar, gruff laugh came from nearby as a red-haired dwarf appeared. Teeth showing clearly from the monumental grin spreading his lips apart, the dwarf eyed the captured commander with mirth. “Ha, looks like I caught one!” he shouted proud.

Soon after him, another dwarf appeared, a slightly agitated look on her face. “Fine,” she said with a huff, crossing her arms. “I guess your stupid trap worked after all, you win the bet. Even managed to snag the commander.”

Hanging there, the Warden-Commander glared at the two dwarves. “Oghren, Sigrun, let me down from here this instant!” he snapped.

A hearty laugh came bursting from Oghren, watching the human dangle helplessly. “It's a good look for you,” he said. “That little Howe blighter sure knows his stuff too. Never knew learning how to make these traps could be so fun.”

“Damn it, Oghren,” Commander Cousland shouted again. “I swear, if you don't get me down, I'll-”

“Yeah, yeah, keep your pants on,” the brazen dwarf said, grabbing the large ax he carried and swinging it at the base of the rope.

Nearly breaking his neck, the commander crashed to the ground with a heavy thud, looking up at the ceiling in a daze. Groaning, he managed to pick himself up and send another look of ire toward the two dwarves. Sigrun simply pointed a finger at her company, hoping to direct the building wrath away from herself.

Remembering why he was tracking down the headache-inducing dwarf in the first place, a sigh came from the Warden-Commander as he allowed his irritation to subside. “Oghren, I need you to talk to you about something,” he said calmly.

The dwarf merely stared at him, unaware of the urgency of it all. “If it's about that bottle of spirits in your room, it's your own damn fault. Warden-Commander or not, you don't keep the good stuff all to yourself,” he said, folding his arms stubbornly.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, another sigh came from him. “No, it's not about that,” he replied, eyes trailing toward the feminine dwarf beside him. The dreadful thought then came to him as to his previous plan for the unkempt dwarf to be his only help regarding Twilight.

Standing before Sigrun, the commander eyed her closely for a moment. With short hair that was kept tied back in small tails, it framed her face perfectly enough, allowing one to see her tattooed flesh. Despite the appearance of the chosen designs however, they did little to draw the eye away from the casteless brand on her cheek. She shifted in place uncomfortably as well, her eyes moving away from the commander as she could feel his gaze on the mark.

“Sigrun,” the Warden then said, gaining her full attention.

“Um... yes... Commander?” she asked dutifully, gauging his tone and demeanor, sensing that something was up.

“I may need you as well. Please, follow me,” he replied gesturing back the way he came. Though Oghren looked unsure and uncaring, Sigrun nodded her head in understanding, both being led away by the commander.

Returning to his quarters, Twilight was situated comfortably on the floor, a book lying open in front of her. Torn away from her light reading, the unicorn's gaze became fixated on the company that the commander had brought, recognizing one while seeing a new face in the other.

Upon seeing the mare, Oghren grunted in understanding, looking between her and the commander. “Oh, I get it then,” he murmured aloud. “Another sodding mess with these creatures, eh?” The memory of their last encounter was already fresh in his mind.

Sigrun on the other hand merely stared at the unicorn, eyes lit up with a child's wonderment. “Wow, what a beautiful creature,” she said, not noticing the light shade of red appearing on the lavender pony's cheeks. “And here I thought I had seen everything that the surface world had to offer. What is it? Some kind of horse that you noble types keep as indoor pets?”

Reaching out to pet her, the dwarf was immediately frozen in place as she said, “My name's Twilight Sparkle, I'm a unicorn.”

With a startled gasp, Sigrun jumped backward, grabbing one of her small axes and holding up defensively. “By the stone!” she breathed, staring wide-eyed at the mare. “It... it can talk?! Is it supposed to do that?!”

“Yes,” the commander replied, rubbing his eyes. He had expected this kind of reaction.

“What is it then?” Sigrun then asked, still shocked to see the animal talking.

Twilight frowned for a moment, slowly approaching the stunned dwarf. “I'm a unicorn,” she repeated, “a type of pony.” Examining the woman, a soft smile appeared across her features. “You're a dwarf, aren't you? You're short like one.” Gaze then shifting toward the red-haired mug nearby, her smile expanded a little more. “Oh, hello to you too, Oghren.”

Deciding to help the still startled dwarf along, he stepped next to the two, pointing from Twilight to Sigrun and back to Twilight. “Sigrun, this is Twilight. Twilight... Sigrun. Now, Sigrun, Twilight's visiting from... a very far away place.”

“Nice to... meet you,” the female dwarf then said, putting her ax away as she continued to stare at the mare curiously. Then surprise hit he suddenly. “Wait... so she's one of the creatures from that magical world that Oghren told me about?” Her gaze was then frozen between the Warden-Commander and unicorn. “That means... you two... and King Alistair...” Eyes widening, her cheeks flushed with red. “Oh my...”

Furiously turning toward Oghren, the Warden glared down at him. “You told her?!” he snapped.

Oghren merely shrugged, saying, “Had no choice. She forced it out of me with physical persuasions and... a lot of wine...”

“Five bottles to be exact,” the casteless dwarf said, looking proud of herself. “I wanted to know where you lot disappeared to. Of course, I never believed him.”

Releasing a strenuous groan, Warden-Commander managed to compose himself and regain his serious demeanor. “Well, now that introductions are out of the way, I need the two of you to help me,” he said, his tone showing his need for their cooperation. “I have to leave for a trip down into the Deep Roads and I need both of you to look after Twilight while I'm gone. Absolutely no one is to know about this, got that?”

“From Grey-Wardens to babysitters?” Oghren questioned. “What's next? Should I lick your boots clean too? No thanks, this tongue's only for two things, lapping up whatever booze it finds, and for the ladies... of course.”

“Just do it, please,” the commander murmured. “Help me with this and I'll... I'll get you a crate of that ale from Orlais you liked so much.”

Though the dwarf began scratching his chin in contemplation, the commander already knew what his answer would be. Oghren was at least easy to bribe. “Fine, alright,” he eventually said.

“And you too, Sigrun?” the commander asked, sounding hopeful. “I'm putting a lot of trust into you now. I hope you understand that.”

“Of course,” the dwarven woman said. “I'd be happy to help you out and keep her company.”

“Good, thank you,” replied the commander, his tone grateful. With that problem resolved, the Warden knelt down next to Twilight, a warm smile radiating from her. “Whenever you need something just tell them and they'll get it for you. I know this isn't ideal, but I need to go see Anders. And... if you start having any nightmares-”

“I know,” Twilight said, feeling her heart fill with joy at seeing him worry for her, “I won't let any of those monsters take me again. I'll be fine here, just don't forget,” with her weakened magic, she lifted up the necklace that the Warden wore, the one she had made for him, “we're always connected.”

With his own smile, he replied, “Now more than ever,” lightly tapping the bracelet wrapped around her foreleg.

They spent a few moments embraced in a comforting hug before the Warden made for the stand that held his armor. Donning the heavy metal plates, he was fully equipped for whatever he would face in the pits where the darkspawn made their home. Just before leaving, he turned back to Twilight and his fellow Wardens, saying, “I'll be back as soon as I can, take care, all of you.” With that, he was gone, leaving the three alone with one another.

Certain that the Warden-Commander wasn't coming back, Oghren took a place beside the lavender-coated mare, curiosity twinkling in his eyes. “So...” he began, voice brimming with the suggestiveness he was known for, “I'm just wondering... The Warden, how does he... you know, 'measure up' compared to your own kind?”

A stunned silence befell Twilight as she took a step back, eyes wide as her cheeks became inflamed. “E-excuse me?!”


As Commander Cousland stepped into the throne room, sword swung across his back, he spotted Varel accompanied by the two Grey-wardens he was expecting. Aseril gained a small smile as he spotted the commander approaching, bowing his head in respect. Next to him, another man stood, Aseril's brother Tearser.

“Ah, hello, Commander,” Tearser said, bending his waist in an over-exaggerated bow. “We've been told that you have a new task for us.”

“That I do,” the Warden soon replied. “We are traveling through the Deep Roads to meet with an old friend of mine. With any luck, we'll run into a few groups of darkspawn so you can see what our greatest enemy is like first hand.”

A large grin spread across Tearser's face as he clasped his hands together, clearly excited. “Alright! Now that's what I'm talking about!”

“Will it be dangerous?” Aseril asked, sounding more curious than anything.

“In an unexpected sense,” the commander replied. “Make no mistake, darkspawn are never a laughing matter. But as of now, they'll prove little true threat without an Archdemon leading them.”

With a hearty laugh, Tearser wrapped an arm around his brother, squeezing him tight. “Don't worry, brother,” he said determinedly. “We're more than a match for an entire horde's worth of those monsters. Not to mention we have the hero of Ferelden with us.”

The commander couldn't help but smile at the excitement, eying the two warriors. They were slightly similar in appearance, made obvious due to being brothers. Both with jet-black hair and the same light-blue eyes. Tearser was taller by half a foot however, with broader shoulders and stronger form, while Aseril was the fastest of the two. And though Aseril's near-shoulder length hair was well kept, Tearser's own was a shaggy mane of locks. They both used the same kind of weapons as the commander himself as well, large swords that required both hands to be swung for a powerful strike.

They were both dressed in their armor with a large bag of supplies over each of their shoulders. Seeing that they were ready to go, Commander Cousland faced Varel for a final farewell. “Be sure to look after the place while I'm gone,” he said to the aged man.

“Of course, Ser,” the senseschal said. “I have your orders. Just worry more about not being crushed by an ogre. I doubt the next Blight will come while you're away.”

A light laugh came from the Warden as he turned to leave, calling behind him, “Well, it'd be the perfect place to be should that happen.”

As the three Grey Wardens left the keep, the towering stone walls at their backs, the commander breathed in the fresh air around them. Being cooped up in the keep for so long, it was a welcomed changed to have a reason to venture out, even if the little adventure wouldn't be as grandiose as his previous endeavors.

But he was soon struck by something odd. Unable to place what, the Warden-Commander was momentarily overtaken by a strange, somewhat familiar sensation. Feeling as though his very mind was swimming in a green ocean, his thoughts turned to the mare that was waiting for his return. Quickly shaking his head to rid himself of it, he kept his mind focused and set his thoughts to completing the task at hand, his sights set on the infested caverns of the darkspawn.