• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 930 Views, 3 Comments

Starfall - Gonenowsorry



An ancient threat from beyond the stars threatens all of Equestria.

  • ...
4
 3
 930

Prologue

“Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape...”- Equestrian legend of Nightmare Moon

Prologue

In the gardens of Canterlot, the two Princesses of Equestria walked side by side. The finest landscapers, gardeners, and groundskeepers in the kingdom painstakingly labored to create a true wonder of flora worthy of royalty. Indeed, the gardens were one of the most popular tourist destinations in Canterlot. Unfortunately, the Princesses were now too engrossed in conversation to appreciate their surroundings.

“I desired the power to act upon my malice and hatred. My hatred for you and all of our subjects. They were only too happy to oblige me. It was by their power that I was able to escape my imprisonment. I gladly accepted it at the time, not caring where it came from. I was careless, sister.”

The Princess of the Night looked down at her hooves ashamedly. She had been dreading this conversation, but it was a necessary one.

“You were not yourself, dear sister,” said Princess Celestia assuredly. “Perhaps Nightmare Moon would make deals with such vile creatures, but that is not who you are. You are Princess Luna, the Protector of the Night and Defender of all Equestria. I know you, the real you, and you never would have betrayed your duties so willingly.”

Ever since her restoration, Princess Luna had hoped to live for the future, putting the shadow of Nightmare Moon behind her. But in her heart, she knew that a greater threat to all of Equestria still laid hidden. It had tried to use her, and had the Elements of Harmony not cleansed their influence, she would have been a willing servant to their desires. Fortunately, Twilight Sparkle and the other bearers of the Elements of Harmony ended the rampage of Nightmare Moon. For the first time in one thousand years she was herself, the true Princess Luna.

“It is difficult to explain,” she began. “I shall never be able to forget being Nightmare Moon. I can still remember her contempt, her ambition. It is as though she still lives in my head, torturing me as a reminder of how far I once fell. It is a punishment I deserve. But it is not Nightmare Moon I am worried about. She was just the beginning of their ambitions.”

Celestia stopped to admire a particularly bountiful rose bush.

“You believe they had a hoof in breaking the seal on Discord as well, don't you?” she asked.

“I do,” responded Luna. “I fear they are growing bolder with each failure.”

“We will always remain vigilant to safeguard Equestria.” said Celestia firmly. “We are strong, sister, and the Elements of Harmony rest in very capable hooves. For now, our subjects are happy and safe. We can ask for no more than that.”

The Princesses continued their walk through the garden, changing the topic to more pleasant matters. For now, Equestria was safe. For now, the sky betrayed nothing of what awaited beyond the stars.

For now.

Art used: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=window+of+the+demigods#/d4owq5r