• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 1,999 Views, 8 Comments

Multi-mental in Manehatten - CTVulpin



More Multi-mental Occupancy shenanigans courtesy of Discord

  • ...
0
 8
 1,999

The Spice

“Pinkie Pie was always my favorite.”

“Because she could appreciate your humor up to a point?”

“No. Well, yes, but really because there’s just so much potential in that storm she calls a mind.”


“Applejack, wait a-” the slamming door cut Twilight off. “Minute,” she finished dully. “Well,” she said as she looked at Fluttershy and Trixie, “looks like we’re going to meet at the theater when we’re done. Trixie, would you mind heading over there to keep an eye out and make sure we don’t end up waiting for each other at different spots around the building?”

“I’ll be heading over there after I finish a few preparations anyway,” Trixie said, “I do have a performance this evening after all. I’ll… need to make sure everything’s in place.”

“All right,” Twilight said with a nod, “Fluttershy, are you and Pinkie going to be ok?”

Tell her not to worry,’ Pinkie told Fluttershy.

“We’ll be fine Twilight,” Fluttershy said, “Thanks for asking though.”

“Ok,” Twilight said hesitantly. She started toward the door, but then stopped and looked back. “Out of curiosity,” she said, “What do you think your item is going to be?”

“Cinnamon,” Fluttershy answered.

“Cinnamon?” Trixie and Twilight both asked. “What makes you think it’s cinnamon?” Trixie added.

“Well,” Fluttershy said. How did you put it again? she asked Pinkie.

Hmmmmmm,’ the party said dramatically, ‘Oh, right. Discord called it the “spice of life…'

“…that twists and rolls, and although he may have been trying to be tricky he was probably talking about an actual spice. And there’s no spice that goes into twiiiists and rolls quite like cinnamon!” Fluttershy froze when she saw Twilight and Trixie gaping at her, and dropped back down onto all four hooves with a furious blush as she realized that not only had she relayed Pinkie’s explanation with exact intonation, but had pulled a pirouette on the word “twists” and ended with a dramatic Pinkie-esque pose. Unable to hide her face behind her mane due to it mimicking the party pony’s curly style, she settled for trying to hide behind a raised leg. “Oh dear…” she mumbled.

Wow, that was a pretty good impression Fluttershy,’ Pinkie said.

I didn’t mean to… Fluttershy thought apologetically.

“Well,” Twilight said after an awkward moment, “We should get going then.”

“R-right,” Fluttershy said, barely holding herself back from bolting for the door. She and Twilight arrived at the door at the same time and the pegasus motioned for the pale yellow pony to go first. As Fluttershy left the apartment and started down the stairs, strange thoughts began echoing in from the back of her mind. She was starting to develop the ability to screen out the products of Pinkie’s idle mind, but most of them were still getting through to her. She’d spent most of the previous evening simply trying to block out the mental noise, accompanied by Pinkie’s continual apologies and insistence on keeping it between the two of them, but now that she’d had time to acclimate, Fluttershy was working up the determination to confront it. After all, it would be unkind not to try to understand and help Pinkie Pie while they were stuck together. Pinkie Pie, she thought as she descended the stairs, do you, um, have any ideas where we can get some cinnamon?

…nothing but a pile of rock under- Huh?’ The noise faded as Pinkie began to focus.

Maybe Trixie has some in her kitchen? Fluttershy suggested.

Nah,’ Pinkie said, ‘I only saw the powdered stuff, and it’s probably way too old to be any good. The riddle says “only in its purest form,” so we’re going to need it to be fresh.’

I see. So, where-

“Good luck you two.” Fluttershy flinched and squeaked before looking around. She was standing outside the apartment building with Twilight next to her looking a little concerned.

“Oh,” she said, “Thank you. Um, good luck to you two as well.” Twilight nodded and trotted off down the street, wings occasionally twitching at her sides.

Say,’ Pinkie said, ‘Are you going to be ok with not having wings Fluttershy?

I’ll be ok, Fluttershy said reassuringly, so long as I don’t forget and try to fly. I do enjoy walking around more than flying anyway.

Okie dokie,’ Pinkie said cheerfully, ‘so, where are we going?

I… was hoping you would have an idea actually, Fluttershy thought, but if you want me to figure it out, I guess I can.

Oh, no no no,’ Pinkie exclaimed, ‘I’ll give you all the advice you want Fluttershy. Just ask and your Auntie Pinkie will do her best to help you out!

“I’m a year older than you,” Fluttershy said, more out reflex than anything.

Let’s see…’ Pinkie said thoughtfully, ‘Before we can get the cinnamon, we need to know what we mean by “cinnamon.”

Fluttershy blinked. What? she thought, I thought cinnamon was just, well, cinnamon.

Nopey dope,’ Pinkie declared, ’First of all, there’s cinnamon sticks versus ground cinnamon. Ground cinnamon’s ok if you’re doing a lot of baking, but if you want to get really fancy, fresh, and pure, you have to go for the sticks. Nothing less than the best will do for Discord!

“Um…”

And then there’s the varieties,’ Pinkie continued, ‘There’s cassia, which is what most ponies think of when you say ‘cinnamon,’ but maybe he’d be happier with true cinnamon.

“Pinkie, why…”

Why are we still standing around?’ Pinkie asked, growing excited to the point of mania, ‘We need to find a spice shop or an apothecary or someplace that sells all types of cinnamon, just to be safe. Oh, maybe we should get some nutmeg too? I’ve never heard of a nutmeg roll before, but since Discord’s so ancient and older than the Princesses maybe they used to make sweet rolls with nutmeg because they hadn’t discovered cinnamon yet and-

“Oohh…” Fluttershy moaned as she started to walk. She listened to Pinkie go on for a bit more before working up the gumption to try and cut in. Pinkie Pie, she thought as firmly as she could.

Yes Fluttershy?’ the party pony responded, dropping her train of thought instantly to give Fluttershy her full attention.

Even without the physical presence of another pony looking at her, Fluttershy quailed under the attention, the question on her mind dying out as she thought twice. “N-never mind,” she said quietly, “It’s nothing.”

Was I starting to lose you again?’ Pinkie asked, ‘Sorry about that.’

Oh no, it wasn’t that, Fluttershy thought, I should have just let you go on that one. She sighed and started to look around for places that might sell cinnamon. She had no idea how they were going to get any without paying for it, but at least it was somewhere to start.

Fluttershy, it’s ok to ask me stuff if you want to,’ Pinkie said after a few seconds, ‘I understand that you get scared picking up on my thoughts. Honestly, I scare myself sometimes, and it’s really tough to focus on happy things right now when I can’t move around for myself.

I’ll try and go faster, Fluttershy thought, speeding up to a fast trot, Why don’t you think up a song? I love hearing you sing.

Ooo, great idea Fluttershy!’ Pinkie exclaimed happily. She started to think her way up and down the music scale, trying to piece together a tune. ‘Can you bounce a little?’ she asked, ‘I need a beat.’ Fluttershy started to bob a little with each step, just barely enough to be noticeable. ‘A little more,’ Pinkie said after a moment, ‘Get those hooves up.’ Fluttershy complied, but she started to feel foolish moving at a high-stepping canter. ‘More, more!’ Pinkie demanded, her voice backed by random tones and frustration.

I can’t, Fluttershy thought, Ponies are already giving me strange looks.

Let ‘em look,’ Pinkie snapped. Fluttershy slowed to a stop, concerned at the tone of Pinkie’s thoughts. She was starting to remind the timid pony of the time her friends had thrown Pinkie a surprise birthday party, and the party pony had thought they were no longer her friends. ‘Why’d you stop? Dance!’ Fluttershy cringed and whimpered. ‘Fluttershy! You… Oh.’ The building rage vanished from Pinkie’s mind to be replaced by sadness. ‘I’m so sorry Fluttershy,’ she said, before falling silent.

“It’s… it’s ok,” Fluttershy said, getting back up and starting to walk again.

Pinkie remained silent for a while, but eventually thoughts started to slip into Fluttershy’s awareness. ‘Just so difficult… She has it so easy…

Who?

…You Fluttershy,’ Pinkie admitted, “You’re always so sweet and nice and ready to help everything you meet, it’s so easy for you to be the Element of Kindness.

Yes, Fluttershy agreed, isn’t it easy for you too? You always have a smile on your face, a… funny comment to make, and no pony throws a party like you can. That is your special talent after all, right? She paused at a corner to look around, finding herself on a street lined with booths and small tents with tables full of merchandise set out.

Well of course it is silly,’ Pinkie said, brightening up briefly before giving a mental sigh. As Fluttershy made her way down the street looking at the various merchants’s offerings, Pinkie started to let herself wander through thoughts of her past. ‘It just takes a lot more effort than you might think,' she said, ‘I didn’t grow up in a cheerful place you know. I was living on a rock farm, a rock farm, before I got my cutie mark. There was hardly ever a reason to smile until I saw the Sonic Rainboom Dashie pulled off. The happiness the sight of that rainbow gave me was such a huge-ariffic difference from anything else that I never wanted to lose it. I threw my first party to try and keep the joy alive and share it with my family. It worked for a few days, but the farm work started to take it away all too soon. I threw party after party, but I just couldn’t keep things interesting. There’s only so many ways to throw a party when all you’ve got to work with is rocks, and the rest of my family never had as much enthusiasm for them.'

No pony has much enthusiasm for parties as you, Fluttershy pointed out.

Exactly!’ Pinkie declared, ‘It wasn’t until I moved to Ponyville that I could find what I needed: color, friends, and lots of sugar. But even with all that, and lots of practice at looking on the bright side, I still need to work at being the Pinkie Pie everypony expects me to be. The Pinkie Pie that I need to be.’

You sound like you need a hug, Fluttershy thought, I wish I could give you one right now.

Thanks Fluttershy,’ Pinkie said, ‘I’m not sure I could have told that to anyone else. I don’t want ponies treating me any different than they do; they’re smiles and laughs are so much more real if they think I’m random through-and-through.

I won’t tell anyone, Fluttershy promised. She slowed to a stop as she spotted a food stand with muffins, donuts, and a jar filled with hard candy across the street. We can’t buy what we’re after, she thought, but it should be ok to buy something else, right?

Just don’t go for anything with cinna- Oh! Is that a strawberry muffin? Let’s get that!’ Fluttershy smiled to herself as she approached the stand and purchased the muffin. As she reached out to pass the six bits to the vendor, she got a sudden twitch in her leg that caused her to spill the coins onto the ground.

“Oopsie,” she said with a blush, “how clumsy of me.” She started to bend to down to pick up the coins, but the vendor pony waved her back and picked the coins up himself.

“It happens,” he said, “no need for a pretty filly like you to lay down on these dirty streets. Here.” He held out the muffin, which Fluttershy took with a mumbled thank-you and another blush. Transferring the treat onto her back, she turned and walked away to find a place to eat it. She found a clear spot of sidewalk next to a building and took the muffin in hoof before sitting down. As she lifted the muffin to her mouth, her leg twitched again and she nearly dropped it.

Is that…?’ Pinkie said, intrigued. Fluttershy quickly stuck the muffin in her mouth and held out her leg, which gave another couple involuntary twitches as she looked at it. ‘Oh my gosh,’ Pinkie said excitedly, ‘You… I… We’ve got my Pinkie Sense! Hooray!

What does this one mean? Fluttershy asked as she balanced on her haunches so she could hold the muffin in her non-twitchy hoof while she took a bit from it.

I don’t get a twitchy leg very often,’ Pinkie said in contemplation, ‘Let’s see if I can remember…’ As the party pony ran through a mental checklist of her various twitches, shudders, and niggling feeling, Fluttershy took delicate bites from the muffin, making sure to savor each bite for Pinkie’s benefit, recalling that Twilight had mentioned that both ponies experienced sensations in Multiple Mental Occupancy, even if only one could control the body. ‘Oh, I’ve got it,’ Pinkie said as Fluttershy got down to the last few bites, ‘Twitchy leg means I’m going to encounter someone I wasn’t expecting to see. Or maybe it’s someone you’re not expecting Fluttershy.

But I don’t know anypony in Manehatten, Fluttershy thought, except for Trixie that is.

Well,’ Pinkie said as Fluttershy finished off the muffin and stood up, ‘We won’t know until we meet them, so let’s get these hooves moving! By the way, that muffin was a little dry. We should have a word with that pony about his stock.

It wasn’t all that bad, Fluttershy thought, And I don’t think that stand of his has an oven for baking fresh food.

Hm, good point.’ Fluttershy resumed walking down the street, stumbling occasionally as her leg twitched. After several feet, the twitching reached a frequency that made it nearly impossible to walk, so the yellow pony sat down and looked around, hoping to see either a familiar face or a spice merchant nearby. Ponies of all shapes and colors passed by, some casting glances at her as they passed by, but none of them were familiar to Fluttershy. She started to feel panicky when Pinkie Pie suddenly exclaimed, ‘Dramatic gasp!

“Huh?’ Fluttershy said, blinking in confusion.

Well,’ Pinkie said, ‘I can’t actually gasp since I’m just a voice in your head right now, so…

But why? What did you see?

A little to the left,’ Pinkie instructed as Fluttershy looked around, ‘Now a teensy bit to the right. Right there, at that stall with the polished stone stuff, with the gray mane.’ Fluttershy nodded slightly as she spotted the pony, who was looking at the various polished stone necklaces on display. Her light gray mane and tail stood out strongly against her darker, purplish-gray coat, and her cutie mark was a slightly rounded block of lapis lazuli. As soon as Fluttershy looked at her, her leg stopped twitching. ‘It’s my sister Shoo Fly!’ Pinkie declared happily, ‘I wonder what she’s doing here? Hey, let’s go say hello!

W-what? Fluttershy stammered mentally, feeling the panic return again, but… but…

Aw, don’t worry Fluttershy,’ Pinkie said reassuringly, ‘She’s not scary. Just go up and say “hello Shoo Fly Pie.” I’ll be with you every step of the way.’ She giggled at her little joke.

Fluttershy closed her eyes for a second to try and calm herself and walked over to the stall. She came to a stop just behind the gray-scale earth pony and opened her mouth to speak, but all that came out at first was a little squeak. She closed her mouth, swallowed, and tried again. “Exc-”

Nonono,’ Pinkie said, ‘don’t get her attention yet. Just say it.

All right… Fluttershy took a few more breaths, closed her eyes and spoke, “Hello Shoo Fly Pie.” She cracked one eye open to see the mare’s ears perk.

“Pinka-” she said in surprise as she turned her head to look, but then suspicion clouded her face as she looked at Fluttershy. “Who are you?” she asked. In the back of Fluttershy’s mind, she heard Pinkie Pie start to laugh.

“I… I’m,” Fluttershy stuttered.

You can do it Fluttershy,’ Pinkie said supportively between chuckles.

“I’m Fluttershy,” the yellow pony said, “I’m a friend of your sister Pinkie.”

“Oh, of course you are,” Shoo Fly said, closing her eyes and rubbing her forehead, “She’s the only one who calls me Shoo Fly.” She smirked and opened her eyes while holding a hoof out for Fluttershy to shake. “My name is Susan Fidelity Pie,” she said as Fluttershy gently shook the offered hoof.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Fluttershy said. Susan Fidelity Pie? she asked Pinkie.

My parents had a thing for those kind of names,’ Pinkie said with a mental shrug.

Susan released Fluttershy’s hoof and then started walking around her. “Strange,” she said, “Pinkamena’s mentioned you, but she said you were a pegasus.”

“Oh, it’s a… long stor-eep!” The dark gray pony suddenly zipped in front of Fluttershy with one eye closed and the other seeming to bulge out slightly as she stared into Fluttershy’s eye.

“Pinkamena Diane Pie,” she said, “What in the world are you doing inside this pony’s head?” Fluttershy gasped and sat down hard, her jaw falling open as she stared wide-eyed at Susan.

Whoa, how did she know?’ Pinkie exclaimed, equally surprised.

“I can sense your aura in there Pinkie,” Susan said, “Remember how I was always the best of us at hide-and-seek back home? Turns out I can detect ponies and sense things about them much like you can sense the immediate future. It doesn’t work so well on the farm for some reason though…” She shook her head and opened her other eye. “But enough about me,” she said, “What’s the story here?”

“Um, well,” Fluttershy began. She and Susan moved away from the stall and out of the flow of traffic as the yellow pony related the tale of Discord’s new game, broken up occasionally as Pinkie asked her to relay a comment to Susan. When they finished, Susan regarded the bonded pony with a thoughtful expression.

“This seems like a lot of trouble to put somepony through just for some cinnamon,” she said, “Are you sure it’s even a good idea to be playing along? I mean, you know Discord much better than I ever could, but from what I heard, he doesn’t play fair.”

“Oh, he’s a big dumb meanie all right,” Fluttershy said testily, “He didn’t give us any choice though, and I do not want to find out what will happen if we don’t win.”

Me neither!’ Pinkie declared, just in case her sister could pick up on her thoughts.

“I’d like to help if I can,” Susan said, “There’s a pony selling spices near the next corner. Perhaps I-” The sounds of commotion drew their attention to a point farther down the street. Fluttershy and Susan stepped out into the street to see a light orange unicorn in a straw hat being mobbed by a bunch of small creatures. Susan sighed and shook her head. “Those rodents are at it again,” she said.

“What’s going on?” Fluttershy asked.

“That band of squirrels has been harassing and stealing from ponies on this street for the past few days,” the dark-gray pony explained, “It looks like they’ve decided to pick on the spice merchant I mentioned.” They watched as the unicorn tried to fend off the squirrels alone, as not even his neighbors seemed willing to leave their stalls to lend a hoof.

“Oh no,” Fluttershy said with unusual firmness in her voice, “how can they all just stand there?” She started walking toward the melee, an inner drive to restore peace and kindness overriding her normal timidity. As she approached, a squirrel broke away with a large sprig of rosemary in its jaws and began scampering away in Fluttershy’s direction. The yellow earth pony spotted it, shifted to the left to stand in its path, planted her front hooves firmly, and Stared at the rodent. The squirrel skid to a stop in front of her and quivered as it locked eyes with her. “And just what do you think you’re doing?” Fluttershy asked in a scolding tone. The squirrel’s eyes darted guiltily to the rosemary in its mouth. “Well?” The squirrel slowly bent down, dropped the sprig, and then turned to run away. “Ah ah ah, no you don’t!” Fluttershy said, leaping forward and grabbing the squirrel in her mouth by the scruff of its neck. She dropped it next to the rosemary and tapped her hoof expectantly. With a sigh, the squirrel picked up the sprig and walked back to the stall with Fluttershy looming over him every step of the way. When they reached the stall, the other squirrels stopped, took one look at Fluttershy, and started to scatter. “Hold it!” Fluttershy ordered in a voice that caused every pony in earshot to freeze in place and look at her while the squirrels sulkily returned and lined up on the countertop under the influence of the Stare.

Woo, go Fluttershy!’ Pinkie cheered as the yellow pony began to pace, looking each rodent in the eye.

“Now listen here all of you,” Fluttershy lectured, “I don’t know any of you, but I’m sure you were raised better than this. You’re lucky I don’t go and tell your parents what you’ve been up to.” She noticed a pair of smaller squirrels cast furtive gazes at the one standing between them and she focused her gaze on it. “And you, “she said, “What are you thinking teaching your little ones to steal? Isn’t there enough food for you in the parks and trees? Well?” She looked around, but each squirrel simply avoided her gaze. “You’re going to apologize for causing all this trouble and never do it again, got it?” One by one, the rodents nodded and those who were holding thigns put them back where they’d come from. Fluttershy’s gaze softened and she said, “That’s better. Now run along and behave yourselves.” Released from their spell, the squirrels jumped off the stall and scampered away. “As for all of you,” Fluttershy said, whirling on the crowd, “Shame on all of you for not helping. I…” she started to falter as the adrenaline from the Stare session wore off.

Come on Fluttershy,’ Pinkie said, picking up on her bond-mate’s train of thought, ‘They deserve it as much as the squirrels did. Just because they’re bigger doesn’t make them anymore right.

You... You’re right Pinkie, Fluttershy thought, This… this isn’t as scary as that dragon… Except it is.

Hm hm hm…’ Pinkie hummed, picking up a tune, ‘When I was a little filly and the sun was going dooowwn…

The darkness as the shadows would always… Fluttershy’s thoughts trailed off for a second. Laugh the fear away. Ha ha. She smiled slightly and then grew serious. “Those of you the squirrels stole from before should have helped when they came back,” she said to the ponies around her. She snorted and walked away with her nose in the air. She managed to hold the pose until she got past the stunned crowd and a short way down the street. Then her normal timidity returned and she nearly collapsed into a shivering heap. “Oh my goodness,” she mumbled, “That was awful.”

“That was amazing.” Fluttershy looked up to see Susan Fidelity Pie walking up to her with a look of awe on her face. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that before,” she said.

“It’s… My special talent is taking care of animals,” Fluttershy explained shyly, “but I’m normally much nicer to them. I don’t like having to use the Stare on anything.”

“Well, it worked,” Susan said, “for now at least. Only time will tell if that lecture sticks with them.” Fluttershy nodded slowly as she steadied herself, and then froze with a squeak when she felt a hoof tap on her shoulder.

“Pardon me,” a male voice said. Fluttershy turned her head to see the unicorn from the spice stand. “Thank you so much,” he said, “You saved my stock; I didn’t lose a single sprig or seed thanks to you. If there’s anything I can do in return…”

“Oh, no,” Fluttershy said, blushing, “It was nothing.”

Fluttershy', Pinkie hissed, ‘He had cinnamon for sale! Cassia and the real stuff! Ask him for some!

“Oh!” Fluttershy turned around to face the unicorn properly. “A-actually,” she said, “I… I’m looking for some… cinnamon. I don’t have any money though. Sorry.”

“Cinnamon? Is that all?” The unicorn smiled and placed a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “My dear, I’ll give you all the cinnamon you need, free of charge. It’s the least I can do.”

Get a few sticks of every kind he’s got,’ Pinkie advised, ‘Just to be safe. Oh, and a nutmeg too. Mr. and Mrs. Cake would be thrilled if I came home with a fresh nutmeg for them.

Let’s not push it too far Pinkie, Fluttershy thought. She conveyed the request and the unicorn trotted away, returning a minute later with a small bag full of cinnamon sticks. “Thank you,” Fluttershy said as she accepted the bag. The spice merchant smiled and went back to his stall. Fluttershy then turned to Susan and said, “It was very nice to meet you. We have to go meet our friends now. Good bye.” She started to turn away, but Susan stepped forward and caught the yellow pony up in a hug.

“Good bye,” the gray pony whispered into her ear, “Pinkie, you should come visit soon. Mother’s in need of one of your parties.”

Fluttershy blinked several times, and then smiled. “She says ‘Okie Dokie Lokie Shoo Fly.’”


“That Fluttershy is a living weapon.”

“Aye, a weapon of peace. Everywhere she goes, peace and order spread.”