• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 439 Views, 3 Comments

The Quest for Starswirl's Amulet - A Story of Magic and Ice - GunSeraph



Seperated from his Mentor, Gabriel must follow clues left behind by Starswirl to reassamble a powerful magical devices that just might prove to be Equestria's only hope against the coming winter

  • ...
 3
 439

"Listen well, Grasshopper"

“Do not concentrate on the Crystal, t'is only a medium! Instead imagine the energy in front of thee”

A youth sat cross-legged on the floor with his eyes closed. A crystal, resting on his palms, pulsated with a green glow.
Away from him, partly covered in shadows, sat a man, he looked to be in his 30s, and watched the boy while giving pointers.

“Good, good! Now compress the energies, form them with thine will!”

One meter in front of the boy greenish smoke slowly gathered.

The youth concentrated. Sweat sprouted on his forehead. The green smoke started to swirl. Slowly it began to condense in the center of the cloud.

“Yes, now mold it like … like … delicious dough!” The man's stomach grumbled as if on cue.

The boy's eyes snapped upon, unsure of what he heard. The swirling stopped and the green smoke dissipated into the air.

“Hoho … perchance not a good example? ...” the man stood up and moved out of the shadows while chuckling to himself.

“T'is would be a good time to take a break and partake in some food, what think thee, Gabriel?”

The man arrived at the satchel he had arrived with, and begun rummaging around in it. The boy stood up, and dusted of his pants.

“Hm … a daisy sandwich … or better yet, a hay-burger” he mumbled to himself.

He produced a delicious looking apple and held it up high, as if he just discovered some great treasure and lifted it out of a chest. The only thing missing was a musical score, something like dadadadaaaa!

“What's a … hay-burger?” Gabriel asked. He wasn't sure whether he had heard the wizard correctly, but was slowly getting used to his unusual speech patterns.

“Never mind, here have an apple!” The wizard tossed the apple towards Gabriel .

After barely catching it, he rubbed it against his T-Shirt before taking a bite.
He was now 11 years old and the wizard started teaching him magic one week ago.

“Starswirl, how long are you going to stay?”

The wizard looked at an amulet he was carrying around his neck. It bathed his hand in a weak orange light. Gabriel tried to get a good look at it, but couldn't from his position.

“Not long, I'm afraid. Methinks, only a week. … A fortnight seems to be the longest I can keep the portal open” Starswirl seemed to say that last sentence to himself He stuffed the amulet back into his shirt and began looking for something else to eat in his bag..

Author's Note:

Short, I know.

I do have several ideas on where to take the stories,
biggest problem is getting from point A to C if I'm not certain what point B should look like.

Again constructive criticism is encouraged!