• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 1,284 Views, 22 Comments

Jurassic Ponies - BeardyPie



A lesson in friendship 65 million years in the making.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,284

The Tour

The group continued up the path towards the visitor's center.

"That was a real dinosaur!" Applejack said, still not believing what she had just seen.

"They have it all wrong! The case is closed, that is a warm-blooded animal!" Fluttershy exclaimed.

"What I want to know is how you did it." Twilight said.

Filthy Rich chuckled. "I assure you, Ms. Sparkle, everything will be explained shortly." Pinkie Pie still said nothing. Her eyes still wide. How is this even possible she thought. They came to a large white building with a safari type theme. They walked through the big double doors and was greeted by a tan pony.

"Hello and welcome to Jurassic Park! My name is Caramel and I'll be taking you on the tour of the park. Does anyone need a bathroom break before we get started?" He said.

Rarity, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom all excused themselves to the mares room. While the rest conversed among themselves.

"Twilight." Rainbow dash began. "What do you think? is it some sort of magic?"

"I'm not sure. How else would they get extinct animals? Bit I don't know of any resurrection spells that powerful. I think something else is going on here."

The three ponies emerged from the bathroom. "Okay, let's get started shall we?" Caramel said, motioning the group to follow along. The group followed Caramel, leaving Whooves and Filthy Rich behind in the lobby.

"Now," Caramel began "I'm sure you're all wondering by this point how we did it? and the the answer to that is cloning."

"Cloning?" Twilight asked. "But you need genetic material to successfully clone an animal."

"Yes that was the initial problem we ran into. As you might already know; any, if not all, genetic material from bones is lost during the fossilization process. The calcium from the bones is slowly drawn out and it's unusable." They walked into a white room full of unicorns in white lab coats worked around the room. "So the only way to get dino DNA was to find a preserved specimen, such a mummified body or one frozen in ice, but since no pony has ever found a preserved specimen, we hit another snag. Until, that is, a solution presented its self." He motioned to a table with yellow color rocks sat. "Here."
The group looked at the stones.

"I'm afraid I don't understand." Fluttershy said.

"Those are amber stones, right? Fossilized tree sap." Rarity said.

"Yes that's right." Caramel said smiling. The group continued to look with glazed over looks.

"I'm still not following." Twilight said blankly.

"You may notice that all these stones have bugs in them. The mesozoic was the home of many unique insects. Biting insects. Even insects that sucked the blood of animals."

"Sucked the blood." Twilight repeated. "That's really quite clever."

Caramel nodded "You see, the insects would bite an animal and get caught in the sap of a tree, where it would be encased and fossilized, preserving the animal's blood inside where it then comes here to be extracted by our Jurassic Park scientists. I could explain it all to you my self, but I think I'll leave it to a professional" A slender mare walked into the room with long straight dark grey hair. "This is our chief geneticist Dr. Octavia."

"How is everypony?" Octavia greeted as they entered another room filled with computers which displayed flashing random lines of code.

"Here is where we decipher the individual strands of DNA. Believe it or not all of these computers are analyzing just one fragment. We have to break the entire strand down so it's easier to manage. If you look at a screen like this once a second for 8 hours a day, it'd take still more than 2 years to look at the entire DNA strand. It's that big!" Octavia explained.

The group started to get bored. Especially Apple Bloom who kept looking at the door. She wanted to see the real dinosaurs, not their blood.

"Ah, I see that this little filly has spotted the stop on our tour. The hatchery."

They continued through the door into a room that was incredibly humid.

"We have to keep it warm in here" Octavia explained. "The eggs have to absorb all water from the outside, so that also explains the mist."

"Jurassic atmosphere" Fluttershy said.

"We presume anyway" Octavia said smiling. they moved from the hatchery to the nursery where a lone pony sat, her back to them. "What have you got for us today, Lyra?"

"Not much just a baby Raptor" Lyra said standing up revealing the tiny animal. Fluttershy beamed.

"A BABY RAPTOR!" She ran to pick up the animal which promptly jumped over her and onto Applejack's back. She let out a scream in surprise.

"Hey!" The baby animal began to rub up against Applejack's mane. "What's it doing?" She asked.

"She wants you to feed her." Caramel said.

"What does she eat?"

"Mice, but she just ate. We won't feed her again." Lyra said. Twilight walked up and examined the baby animal.

"Do you mind?" She asked as she levitated the baby raptor which shrieked.

"She doesn't really like to be held away from body contact." Lyra explained.

"It'll be alright" Twilight said still hold the raptor which started to shriek louder.

"Ms. sparkle, please" Octavia said "These animals come from a time where there were no ponies to prod a poke them. if you please.."

"i'm not hurting her."

Lyra, Octavia, and Caramel all shouted in unison. "Ms. Sparkle, Please put her down!" Twilight was startled by this and quickly sat the animal down on the floor, which ran back to Applejack. Cowering behind her leg.

"I'm sorry Ms. Twilight" Caramel said rubbing the bridge of his snout "But these animals are really delicate, especially in infancy. We've lost several already because of post natal stress. We even have to help them out of their eggs."

"You have to help them?" Pinkie Pie said, finally speaking. "What about the ones bred in the wild?"

"Oh these animals can't breed in the wild." Octavia said.

"How do you know?" Pinkie asked. She was starting to get an odd tone in her voice.

"Because all our animals are female." Octavia smiled. "We've engineered them that way."

"Engineered them that way?" Applejack asked.

"Yes, vertebrate embryos are inherently female anyway, it just takes an extra hormone at the right developmental stage to make the male. We just simply deny them that." They were out of the laboratory now and walking down a long hallway towards the control room.

"Here is where our security takes place. This entire park can be ran be ran with minimal staff for up to four days just in this single room." Caramel said. The room was dark and two ponies were lit up by the monitor they were focused on. "The white unicorn in the beige vest is our game warden, MonoChrome. and the pony beside him is our chief engineer Vinyl Scratch., but it looks like they're overseeing the departure of the boat. We'll leave them be for now. Does anyone have any questions?"

"Are there any fully grown raptors in the park?" Twilight asked.

"Yes.." Caramel hesitated. "They haven't been integrated into the park yet, we have to keep them in a holding pen."

"Can we see them?" Fluttershy asked.

"Of course. You just go out and around this building there is a path leading down toward the holding pen."

Fluttershy, Twilight, Rarity, Sweetie Belle and Apple bloom all walked out down and toward the pen. While Pinkie, Applejack and Dash stayed behind and talked among themselves.

"What's gotten into you, Pinkie? You don't seem like yourself." Applejack said

"Don't you guys see the faults of this park? The flaws? The things that are destined to fail? They've brought creatures into this world that have been gone for Celestia knows how long and these egotistical ponies think that just because they made them, patented them or whatever, that they can control them. Life cannot be contained how they are attempting to contain it in this park. Life will find a way. It will break loose, violently. What these ponies call discovery. I call the rape of the natural world."

Dash and Applejack exchanged glances at this sudden change. This was a scary thing to see pinkie go from her normal bouncy self to something dark and sinister. Whatever was going on in the park, Pinkie did not care for it. Not at all.

_________________________________________________________________

The 5 ponies stand outside the fence of the holding pen, looking disappointingly to the foliage inside. Rarity yawned.

"Where are they? I'm getting bo-" Fluttershy placed a hoof over her mouth and pointed silently. In the brush, hidden among the fronds was a two-foot long head that peered at them, un-moving. It watched them coldly for two long minutes. It slowly, ever so very slowly, raised it's clawed hand to move the leaves away from it's face. Twilight got a chill. It's hunting us! I bet it doesn't even know we see i- The attack came suddenly. The raptor darted from it's cover joined by two other raptors coming in from the sides. The three raptors jumped and kicked the fence setting off a heap of sparks. The little fillies and Rarity screamed and as if answering them one of the raptors shrieked back as it ran into the bushes.

"Holy shit!" Sweetie Belle said, quickly covering her mouth after realizing what she had said, expecting a lashing from her sister.

"You said it." Rarity replied in awe, still looking to where the raptors had been. The entire attack couldn't have taken more than 8 seconds. The fence fizzled and the hanging smell of decay and burnt flesh lingered in the air. Caramel came on the loud speaker.

"If you all will report to the front of the visitor's center we can start the tour of the island!" The 5 nodded at each other and headed back up toward the visitor's center.