• Published 22nd Sep 2013
  • 1,471 Views, 5 Comments

The Return of Mr. Bun - zyr1987



Fluttershy leaves something important to her behind after her last fashion show. It eventually finds its way back to her, along with a number of life changing events for her, her friends, and the pony who returned him

  • ...
5
 5
 1,471

A day around Ponyville part 1 (please read author's notes)

The morning after Fleur's arrival, Fluttershy woke up with a big smile on her face as she saw Mr. Bun sitting on the bed next to her. She picked him up as she got out of bed and headed down to the kitchen to get food for her animals.

As she flitted about, filling bowls with animal feed of various sorts, she thought about the day before. She thought that while Fleur bringing up her modeling career brought up some unpleasant memories and spending time with her was almost as exhausting as spending time with Pinkie (though mostly because Fleur loved to fawn over her), the return of Mr. Bun more than made up for that.

When she got back to her cottage the day before, she spent some time making up for lost time with Mr. Bun and just decompressing in general. Now she was back in her zone, ready for the day. She made a mental note to swing by Rarity's later to talk with her most famous fan again.

After feeding her animals their breakfast and eating her own, she went out to her yard, Mr. Bun in tow, to give her squirrels a dance lesson, when a blue mare alighted next to her. “Hi Fluttershy,” she said.

“Oh, hi Rainbow. You're up early.”

“Yeah, I thought I'd get up early while it's still cool out.” too bad it's a bit too cold to-wait a minute... “Is that Mr. Bun?”

“Yes. I got him back,” Fluttershy said.

“Where was he?”

“Fleur de Lis gave him back to me.”

“Who?” Rainbow asked.

“She's a famous fashion model, and a big fan of mine from my own modeling days.”

“And how did a famous model end up with your toy rabbit?”

“I left him behind at my last fashion show, which she was modeling at as well. She held on to him until she could give him back to me,” Fluttershy said.

“So a famous model held on to your toy rabbit for more than a year just to give it back?”

Him back, and yes she did. I don't know why, but she did.”

“Wow. That's not what I expected. I thought he fell under your couch or something. Anyway, you mind if I come by for dinner tonight?” Rainbow asked.

“Sure, if you want.” Rainbow's request was nothing unusual. Once or twice a month, she would come to Fluttershy's for dinner, since she was a much better cook than Rainbow, though this wasn't saying much as the speedster once burnt juice and liquefied toast.

“Alright thanks. I'll come by around five thirty, okay?”

“Okay.”



Meanwhile, at Rarity's boutique, she and Fleur were eating breakfast. As Rarity chewed a piece of egg, Fleur said, “I was wondering, Rarity, if you would make a dress for me, since I'm staying with you anyway.”

Rarity lit up with excitement when she heard this but took a second to finish chewing her egg before she responded. When she did, it was to say, “Of course! I would love to! I'll draw up some designs after breakfast!”

“Actually, while you were making breakfast, I looked through some of the designs you made and found one I liked,” Fleur said, floating over a piece of parchment to the seamstress.

Rarity looked at Fleur's chosen design and, realizing this was one of the designs she had shown Fleur the day before, said, “Ooh, this will look quite lovely on you. I'll need a couple of days to make it, though.”

“Take your time. When I return to Canterlot I want to be wearing the best you have to offer.”

So, no pressure then Rarity thought. “Of course. I promise it will be absolutely fabulous.”

Fleur smiled and turned back to her breakfast.

“Oh, that reminds me, I need to take Fluttershy's dress down to her place after breakfast. She forgot it yesterday.”

“When you see her, tell her I said hi.”

“I will,” Rarity said.

After breakfast, Rarity folded up Fluttershy's dress and put it in her saddlebag before making the trip to the edge of the Everfree Forest and Fluttershy's cottage. As she trotted through the streets of Ponyville on the way out of town, an idea struck her. Putting it aside for now, she increased the pace of her trot, hoping to catch Fluttershy before she headed off somewhere.

Five minutes later, she knocked on Fluttershy's door and was greeted by Angel bunny. She asked, “Hi Angel. Is Fluttershy home?”

Angel made a series of gestures that Rarity briefly struggled to understand, before it clicked. “Oh, she's around back?” A quick nod of Angel's head confirmed this and, after thanking the rabbit, she made her way around back.

She found Fluttershy giving a dance lesson to her squirrels. Electing to wait and not disturb the pegasus, she sat down and watched, finding herself marveling at her friend's skill.

It took ten minutes for Fluttershy to finish and tell the squirrels when the next lesson would be. After finishing this, she turned to go inside and saw Rarity, who said, “You're quite good at dancing, aren't you?”

“It's nothing, really. I picked it up as a hobby when my squirrel friends wanted to learn how to dance. I'm not that good.”

“I don't know about that. I don't see many dancers that good outside of theater. Anyway, I came by because you left your dress at the boutique yesterday.”

“Oh, I forgot about it with Fleur coming by,” Fluttershy said, taking the dress, and putting it on her back so it wouldn't get dirty.

“No worries. Speaking of Fleur, she told me to say hi. Also, I was wondering if we could come by for lunch around noon.”

“Um, sorry, but I'm going to be going on a picnic with Harry the bear. I don't think Fleur would be comfortable around him.”

“No, I imagine she wouldn't. Maybe dinner, then?”

“Well, I have Rainbow coming by for dinner, but I guess I could make room for you two as well. I'll just let her know you're coming by.”

"Of course. Fleur will be so thrilled."



When Rarity got back to the boutique, she noticed a distinct lack of Prench pony. She looked and found a note where Fleur said that she was going to take a walk through the nearby Whitetail Wood. “Get a taste of untouched nature” the note said. Rarity sighed, and put the news about dinner in the back of her mind, deciding to get to work on Fleur's dress. It took her a second to realize she didn't actually have Fleur's measurements, so she decided to work on all the orders she got in Canterlot, which numbered about two dozen copies of Twilight's birthday dress. At least it's a simple dress, Rarity thought, settling into her work rhythm.

As she worked, she made a mental note to thank Fancypants for getting her all these orders. At 50 bits a pop (Fancy had warned her off of negotiating a more reasonable price, saying it would offend their sensibilities), she was making really good money for a few hours' work thanks to his efforts.

Author's Note:

Those who follow me will know this already, but I thought it unfair to those who don't but have favorite my stories to leave them in the dark.

I'm not writing at the moment for reasons I have described in my blog, and since I have partial chapters for this story and "Crowns and Apples, Butteflies and Lilies" I thought I would go through them, find a convenient break point, proofread up to that point, then publish it (Crowns and Apples will be done tomorrow at the earliest) letting you know what's up and giving you something to read in the meantime. That's also why the story is currently on hiatus.

Anyway, this is somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 of what the final version of the chapter would be. and the title was me being lazy, as I was in no mood to think up something better for the chapter.