• Published 4th Jul 2013
  • 518 Views, 26 Comments

Crystalline Destiny - Spark_and_Twilight



A New Adventure awaits, started by a letter from Shining Armor to Princess Celestia the Mane 6 and friends must go to the ends of Equestria and Beyond to save one they care about.

  • ...
2
 26
 518

Chapter 6: Small Surprises

Chapter 6: Small Surprises

~~~That same evening~~~

The group slowly trudged to a stop, they'd noticed over the course of the last several hours the terrain which up to that point had been mostly fields and scattered trees, had given way to hard rocky ground and crevices as big as all of Canterlot, the sky above had dimmed and taken on a sickly yellow hue and the lighting hadn't changed for the past three hours.

Even the stars, according to a casual observation from Twilight were completely different since they crossed the seemingly invisible border into the new lands they were now traveling deeper and deeper into "Well this is as good a time as any to stop I suppose..." Spitfire muttered.

"Yeah, I mean the sky's been all wonky for awhile now, and everyponies all pooped out" Pinkie giggled still as bouncy as ever.

"How the hell does she do that?" Spitfire mumbled glancing at the party pony confused.

"I've learned...that there is no way of explaining how Pinkie works" Twilight replied. "Just accept it and go with the flow. Best way to explain it"

Spike meanwhile rolled the scroll in his hands up "Alright the letters all done Twilight, should I send it off?"

"Yes Spike send it off as soon as possible so we ensure they get it" She replied horn sparking as she helped light the small stack of wood that Applejack had set up.

Spike nodded and took a deep breath engulfing it in flames which began to turn the scroll into sparkles and whisk it away to...his other hand. Blinking and looking completely confused he took another deep breath, pictured Canterlot clearly in his mind and incinerated the scroll with his enchanted fire once more only to have it float over to reform in his other hand again.

"Spike, quit foolin' around and send it" Applejack commented noticing the dragon's 'show'

"I'm not messing around!" he protested "It just...it starts to go and then its like something changes its destination back to me and it reforms" he sighed "I...don't know why its doing that"

"Well this is good what do we do now?" Rainbow Dash asked crossing her hooves.

"I...I don't know..." Twilight sighed "I mean if we don't send a letter to them they'll assume something's wrong and then they'll rally the army and come charging in here and the Changelings might be planning for that which is why they blocked our ability to send letters, and they have the elements and might have gotten them working" voice starting to grow ever so slightly hysterical.

"Woah there sugarcube calm down" Applejack cut in muffling Twilight's freak out by planting a hoof on her mouth "We'll figure sumthin' out."

Twilight nodded silently sitting down her wings slowly stilling. Applejack slowly lowered her hoof "Now that we've avoided hysterical freaking out, we need a plan." Soarin commented.

"But what could possibly allow us to communicate with the Princesses when Spikey can't send his letters?" Rarity asked tapping her chin with a lone hoof in thought.

The group fell silent trying to think of something when of all ponies Rainbow Dash brightened "I GOT IT!" she declared.

Fluttershy eeped and tried to hide as Twilight gently stopped her with a wing "Calm down Fluttershy there's nothing to worry about"

"R-right" she mumbled sitting back down "W-what do you got Rainbow?" she asked glancing at her friend.

Smirking the cerulean mare pointed at TWilight "Simple really, you egghead call Princess Luna while you're asleep tonight and let her know whats going on."

"M-me?" the violet mare squeaked cheeks tinted ever so slightly pink.

"Dashie, what the hay are you going on about?" Applejack asked .

RD chuckled "Scoots told me about it a couple months ago, she was nervous about something and it was interfering with her sleep. THe princess helped her out, said it was one of her duties as ruler of the night to ensure her subjects didn't fall to nightmares or some such nonsense" She waved a wing "The POINT is, I figured if Twilly here puts out some sort of I dunno magical, alicorny SOS call the Princess might hear and we can keep in touch that way."

"You know...that just might work Dashie." Spitfire grinned "Nice call"

"I call it as I see it" Dashie replied with a chuckle "Now if anypony needs me I'll be going to crash that storm took alot out of me." With that she spread her wings and flew up towards one of the few clouds overhead.

Twilight flushed softly "I suppose...I can give it a shot...I can't promise it'll work she probably has plenty of more important things to do... you know than to listen to me ramble."

"Just do yer best Sugarcube," applejack assured her "Now go relax while ah get dinner started."

"A-alright." the youngest princess muttered quietly "I think I'm just gonna go lay down I'm not feeling very hungry." she admitted flying off as well.

"Oh...I-I hope I d-d-didn't upset T-Twilight again." Fluttershy mumbled

"Its not you darling, she's still just a bit...confused and off balance from earlier. She's worried about her own power." Rarity explained.

~~~Soon~~~

Twilight sighed softly as she closed her eyes "Okay just...gotta relax...and remember what I was told about how to relax your mind and take control of a dream..." she mumbled closing her eyes as she relaxed atop the cloud in question letting her mind slowly slip away into the relaxed state she'd been taught during her meditations taking care to keep her breathing steady. Even as she did so her mind slowly drifted further and further from the waking world the young mare drifting off to sleep easily enough.

~~~Inside the dream~~~

Twilight fluttered her eyes open as she found herself on the balcony of the Library back in Ponyville "huh...well...I suppose this is as good a place for a meeting as any" she muttered quietly "now how to...call her..." she mused her horn starting to glow faintly as she concentrated her mind returning almost against her will to the letter from before. If I need to speak to her...just call her name?

With a small shrug she glanced up towards the full moon hanging low in the sky "P-princess Luna?" she called aloud voice hesitant.

"Must you really be so formal all the time Twilight Sparkle?" a voice asked from behind her making her squeak and jump spinning around and nearly fall off the balcony.

"P-Princess L-L-Luna!" she stuttered caught off guard as she steadied herself "I um...wow...that actually worked..."

The Lunar Princess smiled faintly "I told thee, you had only to call my name did I not?" she replied quietly "So did you really think I would ignore thine call?"

Twilight blushed as she realized what she'd implied with her surprise "N-not at all just...well it was just nerves." she admitted in a quiet mumble glancing away a bit looking out over the slumbering city.

She stiffened in surprise as she felt a soft feathery weight drape itself around her shoulders pulling her against her friend's side "Relax Twilight, I'm not here to upset you or anything, now...what did you need?" she asked softly the only hint of the reaction to their closeness being the faintest pink across the edge of her cheeks.

"W-well...we crossed into what we're assuming are the Changelings' lands." she described what the area looked like as Luna frowned and nodded.

"You guessed right, I remember from the first time we encountered the changelings. Do not come to rely on the passage of the Sun and Moon for telling the days, as our power does not stretch that far, they have developed their own passage of light and shadows thanks to their queen's magic."

Twilight blinked and glanced up at her noticing the grim frown on her face "What?! Is she truly stronger than you and Princess Celestia?"

"Not within the bounds of Equestria, but in their homelands they have had plenty of time to build up their power and cast enchantments to help their power. So a warning to you and thine friends Twilight Sparkle." her voice growing grim and formal "Don't enter the nest or dare face Queen Chrysalis, without the power of the Elements at your command, Princess you may be, but you are not yet experienced enough to face her in the center of her power alone."

Twilight nodded softly glancing down a bit "R-r-right." she mumbled softly only to stiffen and shiver as she felt a soft nuzzle on her cheek peeking up cracking a small smile as she nuzzled Luna back ears twitching faintly as she did "I...I wanted to thank you for your letter...earlier...it helped alot more than I could ever say."

"I'm glad we could help, and it is a common issue with young Alicorns, especially if they get emotional, believe me, blowing up clouds and blasting holes through supposedly indestructable crystal ceilings is the least of the mess ups that have occurred in Equestria's history."

Perking up the eager student glanced up meeting Luna's teal eyes "Really?" she asked curiously "You mean...ah um...that is..." she suddenly realized what her question would entail. "I-I mean." she cut off as Luna giggled.

"Well I take it you would like to hear a few tales about mine and my sister's younger years?" she asked smirking softly.

"if...its not too much trouble." she replied quietly squeaking in surprise as she got flicked on the tip of an ear glancing up she smirked seeing luna's hoof lowering down again.

"Not at all, I just hope you don't mind if I focus more on the stories of how Tia messed up more than myself." she retorted

"I think I can live with that." Twilight giggled.

~~~Waking world, several hours earlier~~~

Rainbow Dash dropped onto a cloud above the group as they stopped for the night. She sighed softly and laid her head down closing her eyes.

“Tired?” Soarin asked dropping down next to Rainbow, causing her to jump.

“Wha? Yeah sorry.” She said, laying back down, “Long day, lots of flying.”

Soarin nodded, “Yeah I bet, and then having the storm to take care of. You did good during that.”

Rainbow blushed lightly, “Thanks. You too”

~~~With Spike~~~

The young dragon gave a small sigh as he rolled the useless scroll in his hands "Ugh..why did I come along then? All I'm good for is to send the reports but even thats unneeded now." he muttered twirling the bunch of parchment in his hand.

"That is NOT all you are good for Spike, and I am insulted that you'd think that" A voice came from behind him making him jump and drop the letter.

"WAUGH!!!" he yelped spinning around and flushing faintly at the sight behind him "O-oh Rarity, ah um...t-thanks" he muttered awkwardly as he turned back to sit down.

Smiling the fashionista trotted over to take a seat next to him, a fair sized blanket being stretched out for her to do so "You're quite welcome darling." she replied warmly patting the blanket next to her with a hoof to invite him to join her.

He smiled softly and slipped up to sit on the blanket with her "Hey Rarity...thanks for being so stubborn with Twi earlier..." he commented quietly as he sat down the two of them still talking as the shadows deepened around them.

~~~Several hours later~~~

Spitfire stood up in the middle of the night and stretched her wings, jumping over from one cloud to the other, landing not far from two figures. She glanced over at the figures to make sure they were still asleep before flapping her wings to take off. A slight movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention, Spitfire standing up straight and slowly walking over to the two.


“Just who is this anyways?” She muttered, her jaw dropping at the site of Soarin and Rainbow cuddled close, both asleep. Spitfire blinked a couple of times before shutting her mouth and walking to the edge of the cloud, jumping down.

As she glided down to the ground she noticed two little bundles of color near the campfire's flickering embers, she flicked an ear slightly as she managed to make out Big McIntosh and Fluttershy the latter curled up next to the farmer who had one forehoof gently resting over her shoulders.

On the other side she had to stiffle a small chuckle at the sight of Rarity curled up on her side forehooves hugging the scaly form of spike gently like he was some sort of stuffed animal though if the smile on his face was any indicator then he didn't exactly mind.

She glanced around as she walked over to Twilight and nudged the Alicorn a couple of times. Blinking as the mare rolled over onto her other side as she slept mumbling to herself as she did so leaning forward she listened intently as she realized the slumbering Alicorn...was laughing "I'm...never gonna be able to look at the color blue the same way again..."
She blinked and sighed shaking her more "Come on Twilight wake up" she urged trying to ignore the odd comment.

“Wha?” Twilight muttered lifting her head and glancing at the Wonderbolt, “Spitfire? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” Spitfire said softly, “I need a camera.”
Twilight blinked a couple of times before her horn glowed and a camera appeared in front of Spitfire, who took it grinning.

“I probably don’t wanna know why you need that.” Twilight muttered laying back down.

“Blackmail on Soarin…and Rainbow.” Spitfire grinned spreading her wings to take off.

"You woke me up? For blackmail?" she muttered tiredly as the wonderbolt flew off.

"Never a bad time for blackmail" she shot back before flying back up onto the cloud and taking a couple of pictures. She grinned as the two remained asleep and she jumped back onto the other cloud, putting the camera away and going back to sleep.

Author's Note:

~~~Author's Note~~~

Spark: *falls over laughing my butt off*
Twilight: And Spark's gonna laugh himself to death before we get to the fun part *Smirks*
Spark: *snorts and heaves a breath standing up* I am NOT. Just god that idea...its gonna be a BLAST!
Twilight: All of these ideas are gonna be a blast. Now please read and review. I don't wanna sic Discord on you.