• Published 4th Jul 2013
  • 551 Views, 6 Comments

Growing Up - Grace_Note



Applebloom likes Thundercloud, but he doesn't notice her as anything more than a friend, Scootaloo won't have anything to do with colts, Sweetie Belle is dating Fret, and Applebloom can't seem to cheer up Claw Hammer. What else can go

  • ...
 6
 551

Chapter 4

Applebloom walked to school, still worrying from Sunday. I'm such an idiot.

She walked into the classroom, trying her hardest to avoid Thundercloud`s gaze. The whole week he had seemed as if nothing had happened after their lunch. He was just as friendly to her as usual. He probably thinks I was kidding. Or maybe he doesn't want to accept the fact that I like him! She was so caught up in her thoughts, she didn't hear Ms. Cheerilee ask her a question about the Dragon Wars.

"Ahem! When did the Dragon Wars officially begin?" Crap.

"Umm... 42?" She said nervously.

"No, it was 1832. Applebloom, I would appreciate if you would pay attention more." Applebloom looked down in embarrassment. Just great.

The rest of the school day passed with no more incidents. As she walked out of the classroom, Claw ran up to her side. What does he want?

"Hey Applebloom. How've you been?" He smiled.

"Oh so now ya'll talk ta me!" She shot at the colt.

"Look I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I was taking my problems out on you and that wasn't right. I don't want to lose my best friend. Can you forgive me?" He asked somberly. Poor Claw. I'm the one who put him through all of this. But I can't let him off too easy!

"Ah guess ah can forgive ya. Just don't do it again!" She glared at her now cheerful friend.

"How about I buy you your favorite at Sugar Cube Corner to try and make up for your trouble?" How gentlecolt of him.

"Ya don't have ta ask me twice!" She skipped off, leaving Claw to follow.

After Claw purchased Applebloom's apple-y goodness and his chocolate monstrosity, they decided to sit in the park and chat. Applebloom filled him in on Hex's progress.

"I knew the kiddo was a pro, but I didn't think he was that good!" He said astonished.

"Yeah, so good ah've run out o' things fer him ta fix! Ya think he's ready to build from scratch?"

"Definitely! If he's as good as you say then he might have his cutie mark in no time!" He laughed. "Just like us when we were his age."

"Or not. `member tha time we tried ta build a boat in one afternoon!” She laughed, almost dropping her pastry crumbs on herself.

“Or the time we mixed our lemonade up with oil! It took forever to clean that kart!” He chuckled.

“Maybe ya should come with me tomorrow ta help. I`ve been meaning ta show him what not to do when constructing.” She teased the red colt.

“Why? He already has you to learn from!” He shot back with a laugh. Oh no he didn`t!

“Oh you are on!” She grinned. “Loser has ta wear a pretty pink dress ta school the next day.”

“Does the winner have liberty to take pictures?” He smiled evilly.

“Eeyup! But they can`t post it all over tha buildings in town. Only for themself. Deal?”

“Deal! Prepare to lose Applesmack!” He playfully pushed the filly. Yeah right!

“Ya say that now! Just wait `til after i kick yer rump!” She chuckled.

“No you wo- Oh horsefeathers I gotta go! Beat you tomorrow!” He yelled, noticing the sunset before running off. I guess I should go home too.

She trotted into the kitchen, entranced by the smell of apple pastries. Granny must have been cooking earlier. She was overwhelmed by fritters, pies, turnovers,tarts and cobblers. She certainly went all out. It`s not someone`s birthday, is it? She probably just thinks it is. Good thing though, I was gonna make some myself to celebrate my win tomorrow.

“Howdy Half Pint! How was yer day?” Granny asked, pulling a fresh batch of fritters out of the oven. The smell wafted through the filly`s nose, her mouth starting to water. Noticing her grandfoal`s growling stomach, the old mare handed Applebloom a cooled off turnover. Good ol' Granny!

“Good. Claw and ah had cupcakes and talked at the park. Mmmmmm! These are delicious!” She said, taking a bite of the pastry.

“Well we had to celebrate yer sister`s engagement.” she smiled.

“Granny, ah wanted ta tell her mahself!” Applejack pouted as she walked in accompanied by her now fiance, Rainbow Dash.

“Then ya shoulda told me not ta tell anyone!” The older mare teased.

“Who asked who?” Applebloom piped in, bouncing in anticipation.

“I did.” Rainbow Dash said proudly, leaning into the blushing mare. “Yesterday I took her on a picnic in the west wing where our favorite hill is. Then once the sun was almost set, I gave her a big long speech about how after the past five years, I couldn't live without her. She was so overjoyed when I pulled out the necklace and asked her to be mine forever.”

“Awwwwww! That`s so romantic!” Applebloom gushed. “Ah can`t wait until somepony asks me ta marry them.”

“Well yer just gonna have ta wait ‘Bloom. Ya still have ta find tha` special somepony first.” Granny reminded the filly while setting treats down in front of the ponies. “Now eat up! And `member ta save some fer yer brother.”

Applebloom ate and asked questions about her sister's special day. Once stuffed and out of questions, she went up to her room. Not wanting to climb into bed quite yet, she decided to wash herself off. She couldn't help but think about her current relationship problem. Friendzoned. I`m friendzoned! Why won't he just give me a chance? He knows I like him, so why won't he let me be his fillyfriend? With the water now cold, Applebloom got out and dried herself off. She climbed into bed and curled up in the blanket, welcoming the comforting feeling it gave off.

"Best. Day. Ever." She muttered before drifting off.