• Published 29th Jun 2013
  • 640 Views, 15 Comments

Cold Rain - MDNGHTRDHTLN



When Twilight Sparkle comes to the human world, she must save her friends before they destroy themselves.

  • ...
6
 15
 640

Part VII

I woke up. My clock read 8:13 AM. A normal time to wake up. I arose from bed and shambled down to the kitchen. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy were already up, talking about something in the living room. I decided not to interrupt their conversation, and instead opted to take a shower, brush my teeth, and get dressed. I had never taken the time to look at myself in the mirror since I had gotten here. I looked more or less exactly the same as I had when I was in Equestria, aside from a few things. For starters, I no longer had a muzzle, and my nose protruded from a small triangle on my face. It was almost impossible to tell the difference, however. Now that I think about it, the same went for the rest of my friends. They all look pretty much the same. Interesting.

Anyways, I had gotten dressed. I sauntered into the living room casually, now rejuvenated from my shower earlier. “Morning, Twilight,” Rainbow Dash greeted. “I see you’re ready to go out into the world.”

“I guess so. You said yesterday that we were going to see Applejack and Rarity?”

“Yeah, but not until lunch time. Have some breakfast. I made toast.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem. By the way, we still haven’t watched Memento. How’s about we watch it later tonight? In fact, we could probably invite Rarity and AJ over for it, too. Maybe order a pizza or something.”

“That’d be great. We have a lot of catching up to do. Speaking of catching up…”

Dash caught the message. She motioned for me to take a seat on the green chair on the opposite side of the coffee table she was sitting at. I gladly took my seat. It was soft. It looked like it was made out of some form of carpet or tarp, but it was actually quite comfortable. We had caught up on what had happened in the years since they had left Equestria. There was too much to transcribe here, but it was all generally the same. Some Good Samaritan had given them a hand somewhere while they learned the ins and outs of human life. Normal fare. They had gotten jobs and homes. They made new lives for themselves all while keeping correspondence with her. They were able to jumpstart a makeshift portal in Rainbow’s apartment using some cables and other things. I have no idea what they were talking about, though. I’ve never heard of jumper cables or car batteries. “Oh shit!” Dash said to no one in particular. “We’re gonna be late!”

Pinkie jumped to her feet faster than you can say hyperactive. “Come on, girls! We’re gonna be late! Let’s go!” She shot towards the door. We all got up and started down towards the car. “Rainbow Dash?” I beckoned. “I…need to talk to you.”

She looked back at me. “What’s up?”

“Last night I…had a nightmare.”

“Don’t worry about those. They aren’t real, you know.”

“This one was bad. You guys were in it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. You were all…dead. There was a note on the floor, and it was written in your blood, and it said…um…it said…it said THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK WITH HIGHER POWERS THAN YOURSELF. LET THIS BE A LESSON FOR YOU. And on the bottom right hand corner of it was the Royal Seal.”

“The Royal Seal? As in, Princess Celestia Royal Seal?”

“Yes.”

“Huh.” She took out her small package of cigarettes. It was full last time I had seen it, and now it was almost empty. She took out the last one in there, stuck it in her mouth, and lit it. She took a few puffs of it. The smoke curled from her lips and floated up towards the ceiling. “Fuck,” she said. “Last one. I’ll buy some more later.”

I’ll save you the whole part about us getting in the car and driving somewhere. You know what that’s like. Anyways, this time, we were going to a place called Penn Station. It wasn’t half bad. It was fast, though, so we didn’t have much time to talk. We, being the six of us. Anyways, after lunch, Rarity nudged me. “Darling, would you like to come with me, and perhaps catch up on everything? I need to stop at the pharmacy to pick up some things.”

“Sure.”

“Fantastic!” She got Rainbow Dash’s attention. “Rainbow Dash, is it okay if I take Twilight for a bit? I can bring her back.”

“Sure. You don’t have to ask my permission. I’m just glad you told me about it, or I’d have thought Twi was missing.”

“Thank you.”

“No prob.”

Rarity turned back to me. “Well, we’ve paid, so we can be off.”

“Okay.” I turned back to the rest of the girls. “See you all later.”

Fluttershy piped up. “Where are you going?”

“Rarity and I are gonna hang out.”

“Oh. Okay. Um, have fun.”

I got up from my seat and followed Rarity out of the restaurant. “The pharmacy and my house are only a few blocks away. We can walk and talk. So, Twilight, darling, how have you been? It’s been so long!”

I gave her the full report about my stay here in the human world. I left out the nightmare, though. Something told me I shouldn’t have spoiled the visit.

We reached the pharmacy. It was a small white building with a sliding door as the entrance. When we walked towards the door, it opened itself. The sudden movement of the door startled me, and Rarity picked up on it. “It’s not magic, darling. It has a camera, and when it sees you, it opens up the door for you.”

“Oh.”

We walked inside. Rarity was quick about shopping, it seemed. She made a beeline for an aisle near the back of the building. She picked up a white bottle. It said, “Tylenol” on the white and red label. In smaller, black letters, it read “acetaminophen” under the larger letters. She walked up to the counter and pulled out a small blue card that read “VISA” in yellow lettering. There was a string of numbers on the card. Rarity placed the bottle on the counter, and the worker picked it up. I noticed a pattern of white and black stripes on the bottom of the bottle. The worker held the monochromatic pattern under a red laser until a machine made a beeping noise. The worker then told Rarity the cost of her purchase, which was around ten dollars. I guess dollars are the currency here. Anyways, Rarity swiped the card through a small black device on the counter and signed something on it. The worker gave her the receipt and we were on our way. “What was that?” I wondered aloud.

“That’s how a lot of people buy things in the human world. See, that black and white pattern? Did you see it? Anyways, that thing tells the machine what it is I’m buying. The machine then adds all the numbers up and I swipe that card I had in the machine. Then, I sign my name and I’ve paid.”

“Oh. Rarity?”

“Yes, darling?”

“What’s Tylenol?”

“Oh, it’s a painkiller.”

“I see. We have painkillers in Equestria.”

“Yes, we do. They have proven useful ore than once, I assure you.”

“Rarity?”

“Yes?”

“I saw you with a bottle of those things about two days ago, and it was almost full. How did you go through all of those in just a few days?”

Rarity fell silent. After a while, she spoke. “Well, I… I used them.”

‘That many?”

“I suppose.”

All those in two days?