• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 721 Views, 10 Comments

The Puppeteer's Creation - Arreis Of Avalon



Sequel to my story "Equestrian Darkness", this story goes into the future, after Twilight has gained her wings. However, what happens when Discord gets up to his not so old tricks? Now we get to see what happens when not even Celestia has p

  • ...
3
 10
 721

Calling All The Puppets

Twilight frantically flipped through the book, strands of hair fraying outwards from her mane. She didn’t understand a single thing that was going on as she was reading. Around her, the books she had planned to sort laid on the floor, waiting for the touch of a unicorn that never came.

Discord walked in, back in his pony form. “Twilight? You here?” Twilight did not respond, stuck within the tale she was reading. “Twilight??” Discord walked up, his face worried as he lifted her head from the book.

Twilight gasped as she realized Discord was asking her something.”W-what is it, Discord,” she said, her voice shaking as her mind flew past her own thought, flurrying wildly through different ideas.

“Twilight, put down the book and calm down. You’re scaring me.”

Twilight nodded and, for the first time in her life, put down a book before finishing it. “A-alright, Discord…”

“Now, what happened??”

“T-the book… with notes in it, i-it’s a black magic book… b-blacker than night…”

“And? I mean, they had to exist at some point in time.”

“It has Celestia’s notes on two particular sections.”

Discord’s eyes widened in surprise. “That’s… startling. Tia used dark magic?”

Twilight nodded as she took a deep breath, trying to calm herself, not even catching the playful nickname. “I’ve seen her use it before, but I thought she had just learned it from imitating Sombra as I imitated her… But these spells, Discord…”

“What are they?”

“The first one… It’s… Well, it creates life.”

Discord’s face grew troubled, confused and scared, all at the same time. “Creates Life? Twilight, that’s impossible. Not even I can create life, and I’m a God.”

Twilight shook her head. “Think of it as a Golem. You shape it from clay, and then… Well… y-you murder… somepony… E-either murder them, or… it says something about breaking their spirits.”

“And… You believe Celestia tried to create a Golem?” Twilight shook her head and Discord sighed in relief. “That’s good.”

“I think she made six.”

Discord gasped, surprised. “W-what… but, why??? Who??”

Twilight picked up the book once more, flipping to a page full of notes with all of their cutiemarks drawn on the edges. 3 Balloons, 3 Apples, a lightning bolt, 3 diamonds, 3 butterflies, and Twilight’s Star. There were notes on how to shape the bodies, if male or female were easier, and many other tidbits. The very top had a list of ingredients, and next to them all was a big “x6”. “I… I don’t know what to say…”

Discord stared at the paper in disbelief. I can’t believe well these drawings came out!~ Oh, I had forgotten after all these years!~ I should’ve grown to be an artist. Maybe abstract. He shook his head. “You… You can’t believe that you… You, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie… Not all of you…”

“I-Imagine all she did… The ingredients need flesh. And Bone. And Blood.” Twilight shuddered. “And the other spell… Mind Control. A way to bend ponies to your will. It read out almost exactly like your old Discordation spell, Discord.”

Might be because I wrote it, he thought to himself. “She… I can’t believe Tia would DO this…”

Twilight stood, pacing, her breath a little frantic. “I can’t either! I-I’m a princess now. If she HAD done this, then she would’ve told me, right? I-I mean, it might be that this isn’t really her and it’s some sort of bad prank – oh, but no one would be able to know her hoofwriting THAT well. W-why wouldn’t she tell me? Does she just think I’m too weak or not good enough to know yet??”

Time for the last piece of the puzzle. Discord left just the right pause after her question, then spoke in a deathly quiet voice. “Maybe it’s time you prove to her just how good you are.” Twilight glanced at him, stopping her rant. Discord could already see grey touching around her eyes, sparking in them. “Think about it… She lied to you… How could she do that to YOU, the new princess? And she knows that memory spell… Who’s to say she hasn’t used it on you already?”

Twilight shook her head, refusing to believe it. “N-No, Princess Celestia wouldn’t do that-“

“Nor would she make Golems using dark magic and control ponies with her mind!” Twilight shut up once more. “Twilight, this is really serious. What if you just uncovered something she’s kept secret for years?? She could have brainwashed all of Equestria into making her ruler!”

Twilight shook her head, feeling dizzy and confused. Nothing made sense right now. “I-I don’t think she would be able to do that, Discord.”

“Twilight, what if we fought back?!”

Twilight shook her head, closing her eyes tightly. “N-no! She’s the princess!”

“So are you.” Twilight opened grey eyes wide. “Yes, you see it now! She can’t control you like this anymore, Twilight! Come on, break free of her spell! You can do it!”

“Dis…cord… I-I feel…” She smiled a dark smile. “Power…”

“Good, good, you are in tune with your own powers now. This is what Celestia has been holding you back from. Imagine the power of the elements if you all freed yourself from this mind control spell…”

Twilight shook her head, trying to clear it. She found this weird, because her mind somehow felt… soft. Relaxed. Nothing matters… I’m comfortable right now… I can just shut down for awhile. I never have to worry again. “M-mind control… My friends, they’re all like this too?...”

Discord nodded, smiling as Twilight grew a darker grey. “Yes, Twilight. They are all being controlled. I may know a spell that can save them, if I can see that spellbook. Please, Twilight. With your help we can free them. You could save them all.”

Twilight smiled as she felt her head finally shut down and take a rest. He was right. It was so simple to see that now. “Yes… yes, I can. I can save them all, if you help me.”

Discord smiled softly, reverting to his true form. It didn’t matter to Twilight anymore what form he chose. “Of course I will help you, Twilight… Now, all you have to do is…”


*~*~*~


Applejack trotted up to the library, a note in her hoof saying ‘meet me at the library’. She wasn’t quite sure what Twilight had in mind, but seeing her friends was one of the last things she wanted right now. After learning that she couldn’t trust those around her, Applejack was much less keen to be around them.

Beside her, Rarity appeared in a small burst of magic. Applejack took in her somewhat disheveled appearance. “Y’all right, Sugarcube?”

Rarity nodded, glancing at her mane. “W-what, this? Me and Opal just got in a little tizzy. Yes, that’s it.”

Applejack nodded as though she didn’t know Rarity was lying to her. She probably learned something about our friends too. Ah’d ask her about it, but she’d just lie to me some more.

Fluttershy flew down to them. “Did you both get notes too?” Applejack turned to her and nodded. “Tsk. Figures. Wonder what Twilight dragged us down here for.” I hope I’m being assertive enough, so they all know I’m there for them this time. They don’t need to rely on themselves.

Applejack glanced at Fluttershy, but said nothing. She’s acting all annoying and mean again. Maybe Discord did something to them… or maybe I’m wrong. Maybe she’s just lying to us like everyone else in this bucking town.

Pinkie shyly walked up, her smile etched onto her face. “H-Hey guys! Wonder what sorta fun Twilight’s got in store for us all!” No one acknowledged what Pinkie had said. She sighed in relief. Good… I can’t take any more pain…

Finally, Rainbow trotted up to them, wings folded at her side. She hadn’t felt much like flying after talking to Discord. “Hey guys… You all got called to Twilight’s too?” They all nodded. I wonder if my friends are who I think they are… They all look off… What if I’m alone?

All 5 friends watched their hooves, unable to look the others in the eyes. Finally, the door to the Library opened, and a voice came from inside. “Come in, all of you. I have some VERY important things to discuss…” None of them liking the tone of their one and only friend left, all 5 ponies walked into the Library.

Discord shut the door behind them, outside of the Library. With the snap of his claw, the rain from the storm he had called forth earlier started. Surprised ponies ran to their homes, startled by the sudden thunderstorm. Then, the howling wind began, bending the trees. Not a single pony remained on the streets. Discord opened his hoof, revealing the discarded forms of nearly all of the ponies he had made his own. The only ponies left were Luna and Celestia. Luna was already half under his control, ever since the Nightmare incident years and years and years ago… As for Celestia…

“I finally can end you, Celestia,” he said under his breath. “The pony who took my land away from me, all I worked hard to get… I owned this world, and now?...” He crushed the figures in his claw, his eyes a deep red. “Now I will end you as I reclaim it.”
In a flash, easily confused with the lightning from the gale he had rose, Discord had disappeared.

Author's Note:

Finally, the puppets are all in control.
But what of Little Luna and Celestia?~