• Published 25th Jun 2013
  • 755 Views, 12 Comments

The Whisper - KnightGale



How does one begin the road of destruction? How does a being loved lose its way? Through a simple whisper.

  • ...
1
 12
 755

The Story Begins

Luna looked up at the moon she had just raised. So long she was trapped in it. So long she was forever watching Equestria carry on like she did not matter. Such cold loneliness. Such bitterness. At that thought Luna oddly smiled while a tear fell from her cheek.

That feeling was gone, replaced by warmth and acceptance of everypony. The ponies of Equestria did not reject her, they embraced her! In a weeks time they were even holding a Winter's Moon Festival, held on the longest night of the year.

That of course meant Luna would get two days celebrated in her honor to which she held a small bit of triumphant arrogance against her sister. Nightmare Night after all was a celebration of the night not a scorn of it, her visit to Ponyville showing her that. But Luna wished for something less fear inducing and kinder. Something akin to the adoration found during the Summer's Sun Celebration and received it by surprise from her sister.

With a smile as she remembered how excited her sister had been when she informed her Luna walked inside from the balcony of her palace room as the air grew colder with the night. The inside was decorated in satin blues and purples, drapes cascading down from the ceiling, the shimmer of the cloth making the entire room appear to be a night sky. The fire in the hearth crackled and sputtered, radiating warmth from the opposite end of the room. Its light dancing among the drapes.

Luna's mind and thoughts wandered aimlessly around about royal canterlot business and what preparations was in the works for the new event. Luna settled into the center of the room and then focused herself to move the moon along its course through the night sky. At that moment a knock was heard on the door.

A bit startled Luna went to the door opening it to find a very bashful purple alicorn standing in front of it. The alicorn's wings twitched and jostled trying to find a comfortable place as if the pony was not used to them, like they had appeared just yesterday, which in fact they had.

To be precise they appeared about 3 weeks ago when Twilight Sparkle the unicorn finally unlocked the secret of magic which had eluded Star Swirl the Bearded. Advancing her to princessdom and giving her wings as well as a horn, the sign of alicorn royalty. Twilight still seemed quite unsure of the whole ordeal sometimes testing her wings to make sure they were real by pulling out a feather and wincing in pain, the evidence being found around the castle in the form of purple feathers.

"Twilight, how unexpected! Come in. What are you doing here so late in the evening?" Luna exclaimed a bit too loudly. She was still catching herself now and then trying to use the Royal Canterlot Voice, even after all that time and effort Twilight and her friends had made. Looking a bit off guard from the volume level Twilight entered the room cautiously. Luna gave a little cough to help her focus the volume in her voice to a more appropriate level as she continued in a more casual and softer tone. "I apologize you just caught me off guard. Now what did you wish to see me about?" Twilight looked up to Luna and seemed like she was about to ask something before she deflated and laid on the floor with a sigh, softly she stated her answer and Luna barely heard it and honestly wished she hadn't, it was something she was hoping to avoid awhile longer.

"I wanted to know what made you turn into Nightmare Moon," When Luna did not reply Twilight looked up and then a bit louder and rather quickly blurted out. "I read the story but it doesn't make sense to me that all there was to it was you being jealous of when ponies played. I am worried I might encounter the thing that made you...well," As she said the last part her voice caught and Twilight looked at her hooves, blushing, as she waited for a response. Luna took a deep breath and slowly let it out focusing herself for the conversation that would follow.

"You are right. That knowledge would be very useful to you. I am surprised 'Tia-" Luna coughed slightly as she corrected herself on her address of her sister "-I mean Princess Celestia has not given you a lesson on it already. Tell me, what do you think caused my transformation?" Luna asked as she sat across from the embarrassed and unsure Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight took a breath and then started in a tone of hurried embarrassment recounting the theories she or others had come up with. Each one was more fantastical, elaborate, and absurd than the last. Around the story of a "Space Mist Cloud of Absolute Evil" Luna lost her composure and burst out laughing.

Twilight put on a strained uncertain smile as she waited for Luna to explain herself, the outburst being quite startling considering the topic to which they were discussing. After several minutes of laughing and giggling Luna finally collected herself and smiled warmly at Twilight. Luna walked over to the worried and awkward alicorn and wrapped a wing around her. Nuzzling her softly and reassuringly.

"I apologize, but every single one of those theories is wrong. Not too mention amusing to hear," after a slight pause Luna asked bemusedly. "Space Mist really?" to which Twilight nodded. Her facial expression becoming more relaxed as Luna held Twilight with her wing. "No my dear Twilight. The reason behind my fall to darkness was much, much more subtle and much more dangerous. You see all it took-" At this point Luna put her muzzle to Twilight's ear and very softly "-was a whisper."