• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 2,438 Views, 43 Comments

Lost Wing, Lost Identity - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



What do you do when the attribute you use to define yourself is no more?

  • ...
8
 43
 2,438

No Tome to Help

Twilight Sparkle let out a sigh as she reached the last page of the book she was looking at. Once more, she had found no spell that would actually be of use her pursuit of finding a way to regrow a limb. It was really starting to seem odd. In the thousand plus years since Equestria was founded, there had to be ponies of every type which had suffered injuries. So why were there not more attempts to find a way to heal and mend them? Why could she not find any indications of a unicorn attempting such a spell? Something other than a just a theory on how to help regenerate lost skin.

Turning, she grabbed the next book, and realized it was the last one. Twilight felt a mix of relief at nearly being finished with the books and disappointment that none of the books had been what she needed to help her friend. She had been going at this day and night, stopping to eat or sleep and once to visit Zecora (which got her some possible potions to help improve healing and reduce scarring that might be of use, but nothing to help with a lost limb).

Twilight picked up the last book and stopped as she looked at it. It was not so much a book as a journal; more the type that somepony would keep notes in instead of something to be used by others for future reference. The cover was made of a flexible leather that was held closed with a metal clasp. Unlatching it, she opened the book. As soon as she did, a sheet of paper fell out. Twilight recognized the penmanship, she had been reading it since she was old enough to do so. Setting the book down, she picked up the note.

My dear Twilight Sparkle,

I was hoping you would not read this note. For if you are, it means that you are about to read this journal. If possible, please save this as a last resort should none of the other books which you have requested been of help.

To start, this is not one of the books you had requested. It is a journal of a unicorn of great intelligence but questionable morals. I will not go too much into the events of his life, but he became obsessed with matters which lead him into illegal activities and dabble in black magic. He kept many journals and made many notes on his quest. Most of them have been locked away due to being far too dangerous. This is the only one which is considered safe enough to be seen by the public, and I am told the most likely to have the answer that you seek. My hope is that it is not necessary and that you find what you need before reading beyond this note.

Please be careful.

Signed,

Princess Celestia.

Twilight stared at the note a long moment, blinking in confusion. What could the pony have been up to in order to have the other journals locked away? Twilight knew of such things happening before. Like this, there had been some where the pony had some which were forbidden and others that were available. Maybe she could ask the Princess Celestia about it some other time.

Setting the note back down, Twilight picked the book back up. She opened it once more and turned to the first page. In a smooth curving penmanship, The Journal of Doctor Victor Frankencolt was written across it. It was a name that Twilight had never heard of before. Flipping the page, she began to read.

The term was not entirely accurate though. There were small paragraphs of writing, but there were also drawings. Not random sketches of figures as somepony who was learning to draw might do. They were more anatomical drawings used to study medicine. There were drawing of legs, wings, and heads; full lengths of spinal columns; later in the book were various bodily organs. Every image would have several parts of it labeled for reference.

As Twilight continued to read, the drawings appeared less often. The ones that did appear seemed to be in regards to surgical processes need to re-attach a lost limb. The concept was a bit crude, but very similar to the method that was currently used if a leg or wing could be saved.

Twilight Sparkle slowed down as she reached a portion she had not read of in any book before. The pony that had written the journal reached a point where he was trying to figure a way to maintain the functionality of a severed limb while detached from the main body. There was mention maintaining blood flow and several times using galvanism to work the muscles and maintain nerve impulses. It was interesting and could have been useful if they still had the wing, but not really something which was of use at the moment.

Near the end, she found a part which may be what she was looking for. There was a point where Frankencolt had begun to speculate on a way to regenerate a limb. Flipping a little further ahead, she found a part where he had managed to perform a few experimental attempts on volunteers.

Twilight's hope quickly came crashing as she read on. She had come so close to finding an answer. With a sigh she flipped on, continued to see if there was more information that would help. Reaching the end of the journal, she set it with the others with a sigh.

"No luck?" a voice asked from behind her. Turning toward it, Twilight found Rainbow Dash at the bottom of the stairs.

"No," the purple pony said with a shake of her head, "I found something that came close, but it didn't work and the pony who wrote it did not actually explain the magic use to even get as close as he did." She closed her eyes and rubbed at her head gently. "I'm sorry Rainbow Dash, but I don't think that there is anything else I can do."

"Thanks for trying," Dash said, moving closer to give her friend a hug. Twilight smiled and moved to hug back. Shifting, she nuzzled at the rainbow colored mane, giving it a gentle sniff. She suddenly pulled away, perking up.

"Maybe we don't have to give up yet," Twilight exclaimed. "Maybe we can use The Elements of Harmony. It grew back Rarity's tail and helped restore the cutie marks to the right ponies. Maybe they have the power to help restore your wing as well."

"Twilight, you can't seriously be thinking about doing something like that, can you?" The pegasus tilted her head, one eyebrow raised. One of the ears twitched as she stared at her friend.

"No," the purple pony admitted, sagging. "But I'm out of ideas. I want to do something to help because your my friend and I... uhm... Well..." She looked away as she tried to figure out how to say it aloud to an awake Rainbow Dash. As such she did not realize what was happening until she felt a pair of lips pressing against her own.

Twilight's eyes went wide as she looked at Rainbow Dash. Slowly the shock faded, giving away to excitement. Closing her eyes, she pressed forward, returning the kiss with her own. Twilight let out a gasp as the kiss broke, trying to catch her breath. She could feel her heart thumping against the inside of her chest.

"I know," Rainbow Dash said, "I... I feel the same way about you." As she said this, the pegasus looked down at the floor. She turned bright red with embarrassment as she confessed her feelings.

"You do?" Twilight blinked rapidly in confusion. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well at first I didn't think you did," Dash said, still not looking at Twilight. "Then I thought you did, but wanted to wait for you to come to me because I didn't want to scare you off..." She chewed her lip a moment. "And I was scared. If I was wrong, it would really mess things up between us."

"Oh." Twilight moved to rub her cheek against Dash's "Well you weren't wrong. As for telling you... I wanted to. It just... with all that was going on, it seemed like a bad time." She shifted her body. "So what happens now?"

"With you and me?" Dash shifted as she spoke. "I guess we start trying to date and see if there actually is enough between us for a relationship that is more than just friends." She turned to look at Twilight. "As for just me... I guess I'm going to have to find a new job and sell my house in the clouds, look for a place of my own."

"A place of your own?" the purple pony asked. "Why? You can stay here as long as you want."

"I know. But I have a house full of a life and memories, and there's not enough room here. Besides, I think it would be more fun to come pick you up for a date some times. Maybe I can even invite you over for dinner some times."

Twilight Sparkle looked at Rainbow Dash a moment, then slowly smiled.

"That sounds nice."