• Published 19th Jun 2013
  • 1,832 Views, 60 Comments

Welcome to Cubeland - Zaleros



After the failed assault on Canterlot, the changeling army was sent flying. While many ponies believe they've gone into hiding, some apparently were flung into other places...

  • ...
6
 60
 1,832

Cooked Porkchop

Not long after the leader departed, many of the Players started departing as well. Several went back to their respective homes, others wandered off toward the sounds of animals in the distance. A few curious ones stayed behind and chose to watch me, like an animal on display in a zoo.

Most were shooed away by the guards told to remain and watch me themselves lest I do something stupid that should be punished. Even so, I too watched them as they went along what I assumed was their daily routines. One Player opted to watch from afar, close enough to see me clearly but far enough to not be noticed by the guards. Once I noticed him I just stared back. A few seconds of this and he realized I knew he was watching and walked away. I simply sighed and resigned to watching the village and its people for the remainder of the day.

A few hours later, I noticed a fish was tossed in and I looked around only to see the same Player who had been watching me earlier standing there motioning me to eat it. I became confused since after hearing what they thought about me I couldn’t comprehend why any of them would do anything like show me anything that could resemble compassion. Not wasting any time, I ate the fish and realized that it was the only thing I had. That could only mean they had my stuff, even that obsidian block. I scowled at the thought of what they might’ve done with my stuff let alone everything from my house after its inevitable demise by way of fire.

“Excuse me,” a voice spoke to me. I turned around in surprise only to find the voice belonged to the same Player who had just tossed me the fish.

“What do you want? Are you here to berate me for existing?” I said back to him with a tone that said ‘don’t bother me’.

“No, nothing like that. I wish to know about what happened that night,” he said without any of the tone of prejudice the leader had shown me when discussing the same topic, “I was the younger brother of one of the scouts sent out on the mission.”

I turned around and faced him, “You’re related to one of those people who just up and tried to steal my house. What could you possibly want from me? I suppose you want to see me dropped in this lava?”

“No!” he almost shouted at me.

“Then what do you want? I am responsible for his death along with the other two you know.”

“Yes, I know that. What I want from you is to know how you got here.”

“...What?” I honestly wasn’t expecting that.

“How did you get to this world?” his question left me dumbstruck.

“I have no idea honestly, but could you leave me alone. I’m going to die in three days and nothing I say will change that.” I slumped back down onto the block barely large enough to accommodate my size.

“Well I want to know.”

“Don’t you get it, kid? It doesn’t matter since there’s probably not any way for me to return anyway.”

After about ten seconds he started walking away and I closed my eyes to await my fate, “It isn’t true.”

“What do you mean it isn’t true?” he had my attention now.

“You there! Return to your home at once!” a guard came around the corner and saw us talking. The Player took a step backwards and ran away. I promptly sighed and went back to watching the village.

Around midnight or so I woke up from a nap I didn’t realize I even fell asleep for. The village wasn’t really dark, the sky was but the village was lit up with torches and that killed most of the shadows that had built up leaving only light in their wake.

“Well I guess I won’t be seeing any of my friends tonight,” I yawned and tried to go back to sleep.

“Good,” a voice said behind me, startling me. It was another of the guards, this one different from the last one I knew of.

“Yeah, real good. At least they didn’t treat me like some kind of freak. They aren’t bad you know?” I said just to see how he would react.

“Silence, monster,” he simply responded.

“Why should I? All you Players are the same ‘Oh the thing is ugly, it must be evil’,” I threw my hooves up in mockery, “No better than those bigots from my own world.”

“I don’t want to hear this from a monster. Your kinds have only shown us cruelty since we came here and nothing you say will change this,” it was obvious he was just another bigot.

“You sure are chatty for a guard.”

“And you for a monster.”

“Seriously, what the hell? You don’t even know me! What is with you people and your random hate?” I turned to him and looked him in the face, “I know about what happened when you got here, a creeper blew up and then everyone was like ‘Ah, they all must want to kill us’. I bet none of you even know what that even was.”

“’Know what that was’? It was an attempt on an innocent life is what that was, you cretin,” the guard spat at me.

“I bet that’s all you people ever tried to get from that. You want to know what that really was? That was someone cursed to explode from excitement who felt joy that there were new people to share a world with. That creeper never wanted to harm you or anyone I bet. Not even they knew that could happen.”

“And how would you know that?” the guard looked at me like I would never be able to answer his question.

“I know because I listened to someone who knew what actually happened. They knew what happened because they were there when it happened,” I looked at the guard with a look of victory.

“You learn your history from monsters and expect me to take it seriously, what a joke,” the guard laughed at me and we both just went back to doing what we were doing. I tried to sleep and he watched me while I did it, kind of creepy now that I think about it.

The next morning was no better than the day before. This time, however, there was no one trying to feed me so I was starting to get hungry.

Over in a clearing I saw a Player much smaller than the ones I had seen before, a child I assumed. It was trying to build something and was using sand instead of almost anything else and was being pelted by it when it fell. I couldn’t stay quiet since this was hurting me to watch as an aspiring architect.

“Hey, kid!” my voice caught it off-guard and it looked around until it spotted me.

“Are you talking to me?” he spoke, his voice slightly high pitched but definitely a male.

“Yeah, you know that you won’t be able to build a roof out of sand, right? It just won’t stay up, it keeps falling down and you can’t change that. I suggest taking some and using the table over there to make it into sandstone first, it looks pretty close to sand and doesn’t fall.”

The child did as I recommended and placed sandstone where he wanted his roof to be and laughed cheerfully, “Thanks mister monster!” he waved at me, the elation in his voice quite clear.

“No problem kid, and just to let you know I’m not a monster.”

He hesitated and corrected himself, “Thanks mister!”

I couldn’t help but smile until another Player came up and picked up the boy as he told who I assumed was his mom that he built something on his own, she was happy until he mentioned me. She then scolded him for talking to me, a monster, and he became sad and they walked away. Nothing like a bigot to dampen the spirits.

“You, monster. Your food is here,” a guard said to me around noon and threw in a piece of cooked porkchop.

“This is all I get?” I looked at him and asked, not really expecting even this.

“Be happy you get food at all, if I had my way you monsters would be gone from this world without a chance at respawning.”

I didn’t bother trying to argue with this guard, he was like a rock and my words to him were like a tiny ant trying to move it. I just sat there and ate my food. Then I heard it. The sound of something heavy not too far from me, I recognized this sound and immediately cringed at the memory. I looked around and saw it; an iron golem was here in this Player village. I should’ve known this was going to happen but I had hoped that I wouldn’t have to deal with another one.

My reaction didn’t get past the guard’s notice, “What’s this? The monster is afraid of a golem?” he laughed to himself.

“Yeah, laugh it up. I bet you’ve never been hit by one of those things before.”

“And you have, have you? I knew it, you are a monster,” he said with a hint of victory in his voice.

“Look, I’m not a freaking monster! I just-“

“Save it, they only attack what they recognize to be a threat and since we aren’t a threat to it and monsters are that can only mean you are a monster,” he cut me off and cut me deep.

The world thinks of me as a monster? After all the things I’ve had to endure, the world defining me as a monster was a crushing blow.

Not long afterwards the guard went on his rounds in the village, leaving me alone with my increasingly antsy legs. Being unable to move for over a day without threat of death made me really want to move, curse that feeling.

“Psst.”

I turned my head and saw the Player from yesterday come back to me and I got up and turned to him, “Yeah, what’s up?”

“I wanted to tell you there is a way to leave this world.”

“What do you mean? Are there portals that open up and suck you into other dimensions against your will around here too?” I asked sarcastically.

“What?” he looked at me, confused, “No, but there are portals that can be made that apparently are linked to other worlds.”

I looked at him, skeptical that he would actually come up to me and just tell me this for no real reason, “Why are you telling me this?”

“Because I don’t believe you are a monster,” his words sounded sincere, “From the sounds of it, you didn’t come here willingly and you should at least have the chance to return to your world.”

“That may be, but how can I do that? In case you haven’t noticed I can’t exactly move anywhere or I’ll die.”

“Tonight, I’ll break you out when the guards aren’t watching. If it’s not asking too much I’d like to see your world too.”

I just looked at him like he was crazy, lucky for him I like crazy, “What’s your name?”

“For now you should just call me Com. If I remember right your name is Craft.”

I nodded and saw the guard coming back from patrolling the village, “Look you should go, I’ll see you tonight but I can’t see how you’re going to help me escape.”

He looked at the guard and turned back to me before leaving, “You’ll see, I promise.”

The rest of the day rolled around and around sunset it started raining out of nowhere. Getting soaked, I sat there and wondered how he would break me out. Until he came I couldn’t do anything but play the waiting game.

Author's Note:

Well this should be fun, I know how I’m going to have him escape but I’m curious as to what you think will happen. Anyone want to venture a guess?