• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 2,392 Views, 34 Comments

A Wilder Wasteland - Midnight Words



A mysterious unicorn makes a portal to the Mojave Wasteland, Twilight goes into the portal to investigate. She finds herself in a small town called Goodsprings and a man who calls himself The Courier offered his help.

  • ...
8
 34
 2,392

Chapter 4: Bringing the Law & Bar Fights

Chapter 4: Bringing the Law & Bar Fights

------------------------------ NCR Correctional Facility, 1:00 P.M ------------------------------

Over much debating, Daniel decided to get this "Mayers" guy as Primm's new sheriff. He had to admit that putting a convict as a sheriff wasn't the best of ideas, but knowing the NCR, there wasn't much of a difference.

Word spreads fast in the Mojave, and due to this, everyone inside the NCR Correctional Facility knew about the Courier and Twilight.

The Courier for being a murderous asshole that organized the defense at Goodsprings.

Twilight for sparing Joe Cobb's life.

As the two of them approached the gates, a warning shot rang out in front of their feet.

"Move and we will shoot." The loud speaker boomed over the base.

A Powder Ganger came rushing out, pointing a loaded shotgun at them. Joe Cobb followed.

"She's cool." He said and then looked at Daniel. "He's not."

"Hey, I wasn't the one that was going to murder an entire town." Daniel said with a smug smile. "And I wasn't the one running away with his tail between his legs."

Joe pointed a gun to Daniel's head. "You don't mess with the guy holding a gun to your head."

The Courier stayed silent, still smiling.

"I'm only doing this 'cause I owe her a favor, but if you so much as steal something, we will fill you with lead." Joe said and lowered his gun. "So, what the hell do you want."

"Thank you." Twilight said. Joe flashed her a small smile. "We came here for someone named 'Mayers'."

"He's inside. You can talk to him if you want." Joe said. He turned to the Courier, an angry look in his eyes. "You on the other hand stay out here."

Daniel laughed. "Okay, okay, I ain't arguing with the guy with a lot of friends." Daniel said and sat down by the fence. "I'll be out here, if I hear any shooting, I'll rush in."

Twilight nodded and braced herself as she opened the door. The room is, or was what used to be a cafeteria, empty bottles, cans and bloodstains covered the walls and floor.

The placed reeked of cheap beer and cheap cigaretts. Twilight instinctively covered her nose. Powder Gangers were all busy playing Caravan or getting drunk to notice Cobb and Twilight.

"There." Cobb pointed to a man wearing a cowboy hat, sitting with a bottle of beer. "That's Mayers. You can talk to him if you want."

Twilight nodded and went down to sit with him. "Hello, my name is Twilight Sparkle."

"Mayers. Nice to meet 'ya. Now, people don't usually talk to me just to say hello, what do you need?" He asked.

"Primm needs a new sheriff." Twilight said.

"And they chose me? Don't they know I'm a criminal trialed for homicide?" He said and took a swig of his bottle. "Primm must be desperate if they want me."

"So, do you accept?" Twilight asked a curious look on her face.

"I would, but I'm pretty sure a convict can't be a sheriff, so unless I can get a pardon from the NCR I can, and will be Primm's new sheriff." Mayers said. He noticed Twilight had a very curious look on her face. "Let me guess, you want to know how I got here."

Twilight nodded.

"I was a sheriff a while back, see. Took the law into my own hands, some government asshole raped and killed a fifteen year old girl, shot the guy right in the head. Seemed like all was good, justice was served and all that, problem was NCR thought I just killed him in cold blood and money. Well, the cold blood part was sort of true, but they thought I was unfit for duty, and charged with homicide, I was dragged here to work on the rails to Vegas. Some idiot thought that giving a bunch of convicts a lot of dynamite was a good idea."

Twilight's face darkened. "The NCR let this happen?"

"Politics, it gets in the way of real justice."

"Where can I get you acquitted?"

"Mojave Outpost, south-east of Primm."

"Got it, I'll be back." Twilight said and got up from her seat and left.

Daniel, dispite being hated by nearly everyone in the facility was having a small game of caravan with the guard. "Twilight, you're back." He said, not leaving his eyes on the cards. A smug smile crept on his face.

"I hate you so much right now." The guard said and handed him the pot.

Daniel got up and dusted off the dirt from his new-ish coat he got at Primm. "Ready to go?" He asked.

"Yeah, we need to go to the Mojave Outpost and get Mayers an acquital." Twilight said and sighed. "I just figured out something. I hate walking."

"We all do." Daniel replied. "We all do."

------------------------------ Mojave Outpost, 4:00 P.M ------------------------------

"Have I ever mentioned that I hate walking?" Twilight said, frustrated.

"Every other minute." Daniel replied, his bag full of items he found on the Jackal Bandits that attacked them on their way to the outpost.

Twilight gasped as she saw rows upon rows of broken down cars and trucks that looked like they were trying to go uphill. Twilight was about to open her mouth to say something.

Daniel raised his hand. "Before you ask, no I will not carry you." Daniel said and started his trek upward.

"I wasn't going to say that..." Twilight pouted. "The faster we finish, the faster we can go to bed. I am dead tired."

"I told you, you could have waited for me at Primm." The Courier pointed out.

"In your condition?" She said and grabbed Daniel's shoulder. He let out a small grunt. "See. You have more injuries than I first thought."

"I told you, I'm fine." Daniel said, and turned around. "See, I'm fine." Twilight looked in bemusement, and poked the Courier in the ribs. "Ow, stop doing that." He sighed. "You're right, I'm far from fine, but I can still walk and fight." He said and turned back to the road.

"Feather brain." Twilight muttered.

"Egghead." Daniel replied.

The duo had finally reached the top, A large statue of a Mojave Ranger and NCR trooper stood over them, watching the wasteland in a firm handshake. The Courier had seen the giant statue many times, but Twilight was astonished.

She knew that these "Humans" were special, but making something as big as this without magic or wings simply made her gape at it. Her reason for coming with the Courier was to find a way home, and she felt safe around him, but now, she was curious about their culture.

She noticed the Courier waiting impatiently outside the doors to a small building. He had his arms crossed and gently tapped his finger on his arm. Twilight smiled sheepishly and hurried towards the Courier.

"Sorry if I kept you waiting." Twilight apologized. "It's... just so huge..." Daniel forced himself not to make a very overused joke and silently walked into the building.

The inside of the building looked like an old office complex, papers were scattered everywhere and several NCR troopers rushed around with stacks of paper.

"See," Daniel said to Twilight. "I wasn't exaggerating."

"Ah, my name is Major Knight, how can I help you, sir?" The trooper manning the reception desk said. "As you can see, we're a bit busy at the moment."

"We're here to get a pardon for a convict named Mayers." Twilight said.

Daniel took out his bag and placed it on the counter. "Do you guys trade?"

"I'm afraid I can't do that ma'am." He said. He then looked at Daniel. "You can try the bar next door."

Daniel nodded and turned to Twilight. "I'll be next door." He said and walked out.

"Why? As far as I know, what he done was wrong, but can you blame him for doing his job?"

"No, but the law says he'd done a heavy offence. Murdering a high ranking NCR official isn't something we could let go." Major Knight replied.

"This 'Official' of yours murdered a fifteen year old girl." Twilight firmly said.

"What? This wasn't filed in the report." Major Knight said with a shocked expression. "I'm going to have to pull some strings, but I'll try to get him pardon."

Twilight smiled and left.

Daniel on the other hand was having a bad day.

Being beaten in a fist fight was bad enough, but losing to a girl was humiliating. He shakily got up on his feet.

Before he could raise his hands, he was punched right on the face by a red-haired girl with a very pissed off expression.

The girl walked over to the Courier. Daniel sprang up and gave a swift kick and knocked the girl off balance. Daniel panted and he rose to his feet.

The girl got up, now even angrier. Daniel threw a jab across her face and made her stumble.

Twilight walked into the bar and saw the scene that was playing out. She sighed. "I leave you alone for two minutes and you get in a fight." She said and held the Courier back from punching.

"She started it!" He yelled.

Twilight went to the girl. "I'm sorry about my friend's behavior."

"Yeah, well next time keep him in line." She replied bitterly. The girl sat down and ordered a drink.

Daniel sat opposite of her and ordered a bottle of Whisky. Daniel chugged down the bottle in one swig. The girl followed suit.

They locked eyes at each other, ordering another drink.

Twilight could see where this was going and she knew she couldn't stop them. She sighed and decided to find something to do.

------------------------------ Mojave Outpost, 7:00 P.M ------------------------------

Twilight was rewarded handsomely for her help organizing the NCR files and reports. She smiled as he pouch jingled with caps. She had also helped out in clearing the high-way from giant ants with some help from a few NCR troopers.

She walked back in to the bar.

"Chug!Chug!Chug!Chug!Chug!" The crowd chanted as the Courier and the red-haired girl finished their lastest bottle.

"Another!" They both yelled. A red blush on both of their checks.

"You have got to be kidding me..." Twilight groaned.

Daniel gripped his bottle and tried to lift his arm. He couldn't see straight, and felt dizzy. The girl drank another bottle and stared at Daniel, waiting for him to finish his drink. Daniel collapsed, surrounded by empty Whisky bottles.

The crowd cheered. The girl tried to stand up, but collapsed as well.

Both the Courier and the girl wasunconscious.

Twilight face-palmed.

"Hey." The bartender yelled at Twilight. "You’re his friend, right?" She asked and pointed to the Courier. Twilight gave a slow nod. "Well, here's the bill."

Twilight looked at the total price and promptly went unconscious.

"Heh, never seen that before."

The Courier reached for his unfinished bottle and drank it. "Tied..." He muttered and fell unconscious.

------------------------------ Mojave Outpost, 10:00 A.M ------------------------------

The Courier, Twilight, and the girl were all carried to one of the bunk-beds by the NCR. Twilight was the first to wake up.

She remembered everything that happened last night, and the money Daniel owed.

Twilight groggily went to the counter and dropped her hard-earned sack of caps on the counter. "I think this should cover it..." She said in a low moan. "My head hurts..."

"Not as much as those two." The bartender said and pointed to the Courier and the girl.

Daniel shot up and grabbed a nearby bucket and puked in it.

"Looks like we'll be staying here for a few more hours." She groaned. "Why do I even bother with him?" She asked no one in particular.

Daniel's head pounded, his vision was spinning and everything blurred. He stumbled over to what looked like Twilight and sat down on the stool.

"Fixer?" He muttered.

"Nope." The bartender replied.

"This is what you get for drinking so much." Twilight deadpanned.

"Stop.Loud.Words." He groaned and rested his head on the table.

"I am not dragging you all the way to Primm." Twilight said.

"ughhhhh...." Was all the Courier could muttered on the counter.

"I'm gonna go do some work, to earn back some of the money I lost for paying your tab."

"blaghhh...."

"Quiet!" The red-haired girl yelled. "I'm trying to sleep off my hangover!"

"ughhhh...."

------------------------------ Mojave Outpost, 1:00 P.M ------------------------------

"Feeling better?" Twilight asked as she walked in the bar, carrying a small pouch of caps.

"Barely." Daniel muttered, not moving from his spot a few hours ago.

The girl on the other hand had moved next to the Courier. She also had her face down on the counter.

"I see you two have made up." Twilight said with a small smile on her face.

"Can we get moving now? I hate staying in one place for too long." Daniel said and got up from his seat. "See 'ya later, Cass."

Cass raised her hand, but quickly shot it down. "Yeah, whatever."

"Catch me later and I'll buy you a beer." Daniel laughed. Cass slammed her hand into the Courier's stomach. He gave a loud groan and fell to his knees.

"You deserve it." Cass muttered.

"I can agree with you there." Twilight said and helped Daniel up.

The duo went out the door and headed towards Primm.

"I hate walking..." Daniel muttered.

"Suck it up, we haven't even got down from the hill yet." Twilight said and led the way.

Daniel opened his bag and pulled out two water bottles. "Thirsty?" He asked.

"Sure." Twilight said and used her magic to grab the bottle. "Thanks."

"We still haven't talked about that magic thing yet." Daniel reminded her. "I really wanna learn how to do that."

"I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the Wasteland that knows how to do magic." Twilight flashed a quick smile towards Daniel.

------------------------------ Road to NCRCF, 1:00 P.M ------------------------------

"I cannot believe the Legion forced us out of Nelson." A Crystal Soldier said to his partner. The two of them were leading the first caravan towards the Correctional Facility.

"I'm surprised they didn't kill all of us. Did you see how many of them were there?" His partner replied.

"Good thing, we have King Sombra with us, if he didn't hold them up with that magic of his, we may have never gotten out."

"Hail! The King approaches." Someone from behind the two yelled.

The duo bowed as the King walked towards them.

"Rise."Sombra said. "How many of the caravans were lost?" He asked.

"Sir, about three." The Crystal Soldier replied.

Sombra frowned. "Unfortunate. No matter, any word from the crier?"

"Unfortunately, yes, my liege. The people from the NCRCF do not believe in your power." The other Crystal Soldier said.

"Then they are either slaves or enemies. We will take the Facility by force."

"My liege, no disrespect to your power, but we don't nearly have enough men, and I doubt you will be able to take care of them by yourself." Sombra's guard voiced. "Perhaps, a stealthierapproach?"

"No, a convoy this big would draw attention." Sombra said. He scratched his chin. "We'll make a plan when we get there."

"If I may be so bold." A young Crystal Soldier said. "How about we use fire?"

Sombra and others stayed silent for a while. "That is brilliant." Sombra said. "Haha! I know what we're going to do when we get there, it was so simple it flew right over my head!"

"My liege? Are we going to burn NCRCF?"

"No, magic can be used to create more than fire and levitation, it can do so much more. Teleportation, Conjuration, Alteration, Restoration, Destruction, and most of all Illusion."Sombra said excitedly. A large toothy grin plastered on his face. "To them they will see a great blazing fire. But to us, nothing will happen, they will see, but nothing will happen to us. Would you care for a demonstration?"

Before the three of them could reply, a giant two headed Deathclaw clawed up from the ground.

"A simple illusion."Sombra said, and with a flick of a wrist the beast was gone.

"That-"

"Was-"

"Awesome! My liege can you teach us how to do that?"

"I wish. You need to be born with magic, and I am the only one in the Wasteland that knows magic. I was a god once, before being banished to the bowls of the earth. They thought they killed me with their magical Crystal Heart. Hah! I laugh at petty parlor tricks."

If Sombra said this before, they would have thought him insane, but now, seeing what he can do, they believed ever word of it. "Hail to the King! Glory to the Dark Crystals!" They shouted in unison.

"We march, we make camp when it's dark."

"Yes, my liege!" The trio shouted and called out to the other caravans. "Move out!"

------------------------------ Ponyville ------------------------------

The mane six minus one sat around the library, each deeply worried about their lavender unicorn friend.

"It's been five days! Maybe she's in trouble. We've got to go help!" A rainbow maned Pegasus exclaimed. She was hovering in anxiety. "She's been gone for five days! She would have at least tried to contact us!"

"We know, Rainbow, but we can't do anything until the magical whatsit dies down." An orange earth pony said with a bemused expression.

"Magical Fall-off." The marshmallow colored unicorn said, nervously combing her mane. "It's went a very large spell needs a lot of magic it can't use all at once."

"Oh, I hope Twilight's alright..." The little dragon sighed in nervousness.

"Whoever made that portal must be very powerful." The butter colored Pegasus meeped. "Maybe as strong as the Princesses."

"The Princesses said that it should be safe in a few hours or so." Applejack said.

"Ohhh, I can't wait! Maybe we'll go to a world without magic, but have super duper alien machines and stuff!" The pink party pony bounced up and down.

"A world without magic? That's impossible, darling." Rarity smiled at her energetic friend.

There was a knock on the door. Spike went over to the large wooden door and pulled it open. A chestnut coated earth pony with an hourglass Cutie mark walked in.

"Oh, hello everypony. I'm Time Turner, a sort of Magical Fall-off expert. Lost both my horn and wings due to overexposure." Time Turner smiled and walked inside. "The Princesses said I should tell you about this Magical stuff."

"Woah, did you just say a horn and wings?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Huh? Oh yes, I'm an Alicorn, or was, about one thousand five hundred years old. I'm just a few thousand years younger than the Princesses. Anyway, I lost my horn and wings when I help took down Sombra, he reveled in this stuff.

"Back up." Applejack said. "Ah've known you all my life, how come I never knew about this, and why tell us now."

"Good question. You see," Time Turner stopped and adjusted his tie. "I fought the great Crystal War a thousand years ago, I was the youngest Alicorn left, I stared down Sombra and he unleashed a bolt of extreme dark magic and completely shattered me, the blast wasn't strong, but the Magical Fall-off killed my Alicorn abilities. They had to amputate my horn and wings."

Time Turner sat down on a nearby chair. "And to answer your other questions.Nopony ever asked, and the Princesses needed an expert so here I am."

"Expert on what exactly?" Rainbow Dash questioned.

Time Turner smiled. "Everything, what do you think I was doing for one thousand years? Making clocks?Time Traveling?I was learning, I effectively know everything."

"What's the square root of Pinkie Pie?" Rainbow asked with a smug smile.

"Cupcakes, and now we move on to what’s important." He quickly answered. "What you can lose if things go horribly wrong." His demeanor darkened.

"Wha-what do you mean horribly wrong?" Fluttershy asked.

"What happened to me, losing your wings." He pointed to Dash. "Your horn." He pointed to Rarity. "You might become paralyze." He pointed to Applejack. "Or you can die horribly, and that's only what a minor dosage would do."

The mares shared uneasy glances at each other.

"You can live, but your skin will melt, your mind would be a wreck, you'll be nothing but a savage animal that eats everything. You could mutate into some sort of hybrid of stone. You could be comatosed and live your life in an eternal nightmare. But, I'll teach you how to fight it off." Time Turner fished into his coat's pocket.

He pulled out six small round objects. "These are Magic Blockers, put them on and they will stop any form of magic, even the Elements, I made these so if some sort of evil can corrupt the Elements I could fight it back, seems like it's first use would be a rescue mission." He tossed one to each of the ponies and Spike. "These can protect you from magic, but only for a short time, and this portal, it's erratic, meaning you won't land where Twilight landed, there's even a possibility to land in a different world, hundreds of different worlds, there's no guarantee you'll even land in the same world."

They all hesitated.

"I understand if you need to think this through. I'll be checking out the area." He said and pulled out one of his devices. "Don't follow me, not yet." With that, Time Turner went off, leaving the worried ponies even more worried.

"What if that stuff said happened to Twilight?" Pinkie asked, a concerned look on her usually up-beat face.

"No, that can't happen! She's the Element of bucking Magic! She's the strongest unicorn in all time! She can't be dead!" Rainbow yelled. Tears welling up in her eyes. She flew off.

"RAINBOW DASH!" Applejack yelled and rushed to follow her. "GOSH DARNNIT! THINK IT THROUGH!"

Rainbow Dash landed right outside the Everfree Forest. "I did." She said.

"And?" Applejack caught up, out of breath.

"I don't know, and that scares me. I'm the Element of Loyalty, and I'm having second thought about saving my friend!" She yelled, tears flowing freely now.

"We'll give it one more day, if she doesn't come back, we'll go in and hog-tie her if we have to." Applejack said with a reassuring smile.

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." Applejack said along with the gestures.

Rainbow hugged the orange pony in a tight squeeze. "Thanks."

"Anytime, Sugercube."

Author's Note:

LOL I don't know


Edit:I should really stop being drunk when I post stuff.