• Published 31st May 2013
  • 2,087 Views, 35 Comments

Spero - The last Hope - Ice4smaster



Earth. Now just a memory for those who escaped, and what left was a total uncertainty for them all on-board Spero, a gigantic starship. Built to ensure Humanity future, even if the hope to reach a new world where they could restart...

  • ...
6
 35
 2,087

Chapter 1 - Strange new star

157 Years have Passed, and the Starship have aged, suffered the hardship, so as the last of humanity on-board have, but they seam to see there destination. Fate have truly been cruel to them all, but at long last have shown mercy to them. As they Approached the outer edge of a different solar system, 30 light years away from there obliterated world, after travelling at 20% of light speed for most of the flight, long last arrived. This solar system was in there trajectory, and early observations, before they left Earth shown this solar system have planets, and one of them was in fact in the so called goldy luck zone on a steady orbit. The data wasn't thoroughly analysed at the time, not enough resources, or power, as almost all effort been put into build the Spero, and the orbital space telescopes, been far beyond better then anything ever before made, couldn't give the proper details of this world, only the general, basic things, atmosphere composition and estimated temperatures, size and mass. They couldn't be sure entirely of the choice that was made generations before, a bet that this world might can sustain them, be a new home. Until now when they were close enough to get better readings, still vulgar at best, but far better, they could see the world surface well enough from this distance, and also have launched drones ahead to this new world, to scout as best as possible while the massive Starship began one of it's final deceleration manurers. It still would be a year to reach the planet it self, and get into a geostationar orbit around it to began the colonisation. Non less a decision was made, and an manned expedition been launched at this point, they would arrive in a few months with a much smaller ship that was easier to handle, unlike the Spero which was immensely large and was using massive nuclear engines. The expedition ship was on full speed, just a few weeks behind the unmanned drones.


Twilight Sparkle out on star glazing, with her telescope on the balcony of the unique tree house. It's been a few day she spotted a new and surprisingly bright star, but only began realise that it can not be a star as it's been moving, it was difficult to tell but after a few days of checking agen and agen the bright object it become clear. She wasn't sure what it possibly be, as she was sure it was far out, to be a comet, and comet become visible only if they got close to the sun, but this seamed to be way far out, way larger, and most of way to bright. Needless to say she began feel uneasy about it, and she began do her calculation based on what she saw so far, not entirely sure how correct those numbers in her head.

“Come on... This just doesn’t add up, doesn’t make sense!” Flung her hoves and wings into the air in her frustration after many times she run the numbers of her observation. “I think I better write for the princesses about this strange object..” Note it for her self before turn around to wake up Spike. The small baby dragon was anything but happy to be woke up by Twilight as such late, or better put, early hour... “Spike I’m sorry I had to wake you up but I think this is important, and like tell Celestia and Luna” Spike give her daggers still with his eyes, being truly tired and want nothing else to sleep. “Right, right.. lets just get this done Twilight, even though I fail to see what's so urgent about a star in the night sky” “Spike..” She sigh ”I'll make it up for you tomorrow, if you want you can sleep in, and I’ll make you a breakfast with some ruby.” She gave a comforting smile to the little dragon who was still very exhausted but couldn't help but smile back to Twilight and with more spirits. “Okey Twilight, it's a deal, I wanna sleeeeep all day tomorrow, no wake up calls!“He chuckled finally, so did the young Alicorn princess.

Dear Celestia and Luna

I write to you in concern of a discovery in the night sky, a new star that I been observing for a few night now and it appears to be moving. At this point I’m not even sure any more that is a star, but all other explanation fails as well, it's seemingly way out, away from the Sun to be a comet, even more so it's lacks any trails, but it is very bright like a star, as far my observations go.

I hope could give me a second opinion on my findings on this new mysterious object.
The coordinates are the following:

Right ascension 11h 12m 31s
Declination –52° 49′ 02.70″
Apparent magnitude (V) −0.002

Eagerly awaiting your findings, your ever faithful student and friend,
Twilight Sparkle.

“Thank you Spike!” She smiled to her number one assistant. “No problem Twilight!” the small Dragon smiled back, and quickly rolled up the letter and burn it with his magic fire. Then yawn tiredly, almost fall asleep, Twilight warped him into her left wing embrace. Not much later the baby dragon went to sleep, while Twilight quietly walk outside to her balcony once more and look up the night sky where she noticed this new small but very bright, mysterious object, she sigh and sat down to her hunches, thinking what it could be, it even crossed her mind that could be aliens, but dismissed the though after awhile. In fact she was also very tired. After some time she did give in to the slumber, cruel up under the deep blue sky.

Little she knew, the thoughts about aliens was right. What she saw through her telescope was the blinding light of the Spero Nuclear engines burning at max thrust in a backwards position, to reduce it's speed as made it's way into the solar system and steadily adjust it's trajectory to finally stop near there home, high above in space, between the Moon and Gaia in a year time. But before this they would learn for sure what was approaching, inform of the drones, then followed by the expedition, the Hermes.

From dark of deep space small drone units emerged, hurling towards the new planet, already actively doing there mission by impressive imaging sensors scouting the planet, better and better images and readings being set back to the following ships, Spero and Hermes, so the scientist on-board can analyse it and get better grasps of this new Eden, new Eden indeed, as images now clearly show vegetation on the surface, plant life, green plant life, which means clorofil. And where is plant life, there likely be animals. An true thrilling knowledge, a world alive, and even though the clear dangers of how they be able to enter this biosphere, colonise, and establish the human civilisation once agen, with a fresh start. Simply the joy was just burning in there veins, to be able see a blue sky that none have seen for generation, and only the old stories, movies have them, gave some glimpse of it.

Back at the massive starship they began adjust the drones trajectories, so there orbital modules arrive in a perfect geostationar position around the new world, and began more detailed mapping as well function as a new GPS constellation before deploy the entry units to get the first up-close view.


In mean time back in Canterlot, the two alicorn sisters have read Twilights letter and headed to the Royal Observatory, curious of this new mysterious object in the night sky, having an idle conversation with some chuckle of Twilight strange ways of sometimes be more concerned of things then it's need to be.

“Oh Lulu, Twilight can be funny some times when she get excited about something” Laugh the Solar Diarch “I know Tia haha, hope though not mind I woke you up my self. It be a lie if I said I can't wait to see what’s this star Twilight spotted in my night sky” Luna reply with a huge grin on her face as they got closer to the observatory “Oh that’s alight my dear sister, for You and Twilight I have time always.” Celestia smiled but short after a big yawn did escape her, she could sleep more with out doubt, and most likely be angry if anyone else would try to wake her up at such late hour but her little sister, or Twilight. And besides, it been some time they got some time together due there royal duties, and star gazing they loved even back when they been young fillies. Was indeed a nostalgic for both of them.

They finally arrived to the observatory, Luna have asked one of her night guard to bring some tea and some good comfortable pillows both her and her sister as likely this be a long night.

“Princesses, do you require anything else?” Asked one of the guard “I think that should be it for now, you may leave us” "As you wish highness.“The guards bow and left the observatory room to stand guard outside. Luna began adjust the large telescope with her magic, she wouldn't let anyone do it for her as it was her favourite hobby, just like for Twilight. It took a few minutes to adjust the telescope. “May I have a peek sister?” Celestia asked with a mischievous smirk “Soon Tia soon, it's.. almost... and it's done.“ Luna smiled and wave to her sister to come closer, she pick into the telescope and she sure saw the star where Twilight described it to be “Yes, I even see it too, it is indeed bright!” Celestia lean close, and Luna let her sister have a look “It is very bright, I wonder.. could it be a dyeing star?” “It certainly could be but it's still quite small for one, though might be it that far away” Luna took some notes and added to her star gazing log. She was sure to watch this star from now on. “I think Twilight be happy if she could come to the observatory” “Most certainly, and sure she wouldn't mind and practice some magic us sister. She still needs to learn a lot of her alicorn powers and the duties.” Celestia smile, her little student came a long way to ascend to an alicorn princess but still there was many things to learn and master.

The two Princesses spent rest of the night chatter away and look at other stars as well.

Author's Note:

Experimenting with coloured text for characters, shall i keep it or ditch it?

EDIT: was an interesting experiment, but result is result and colours nowi removed