• Published 30th May 2013
  • 383 Views, 3 Comments

Tales of a One Eyed, Scaled Half Breed - TheGreenDragoon



A Train to the coast carries a four thousand year old being, on his last adventure. However, his first adventures must be told first...

  • ...
 3
 383

Childhood, and Lessons of Dragon and Pony

I was conceived in a highly scandalous mix up, consisting of a badly placed love potion, a highly confused dragon, and a drunk off his arse god. Not the combination that most would think of even being possible, but, hey, magic can do unique things, and does them fairly often. Nonetheless, I rested, in the belly of a golden dragon, for eight months, bouncing off of my siblings shells. We were laid in a volcano home, relaxing in a nest of lava and fire, landslides and earthquakes. There were five of us, all lying next to one another, sharing the same dream… The dream of breaking out of our shells, smelling the world outside.

Amazingly, my memories of the time inside my warm shell remain strong… You’d think that time inside of an egg would be non-existent, just being made, such as in a womb, but… It was a time of creation, and growth. Our mother would whisper us questions as we expanded, tell us stories, and keep us company. Though we could not speak back, we answered the questions, reveled in the stories, and felt love, at our caretaker. We grew far more than one would realize, being alone in our little ceramic rooms…

Our minds had a unique link that allowed us, through pictures, to communicate with one another, even locked away as we were. Words were still a mystery to us all, something that we could hear, and understand, but not yet share. We each had images from the stories that Mother Glimmer told us all… Fire spewing dragons, roaring and flying, the most amazing and beautiful creatures in the land. And of course, the stories of all those who feared us, the ponies, the buffalo, the timberwolves and manticores. Those poor creatures, never to delight in the beauty of what dragons were, only to be considered our prey, our victims.

One year after being laid in that pool of lava, one year of stories, pictures, poems and ideas, we were all just too big to fit inside of our rooms anymore. We simply HAD to stretch out, and as we did, the fragments of our shells broke off, and soon, we wobbily rose, on our hooved feet. We were, obviously, quite confused. Were we not told stories of dragons, great and mighty, and of their prey, the small and meek ponies? Why, we appeared to be more akin to the ponies than to dragons… Two of us even had the ‘horns’ Mother Glimmer spoke of, something not possible with dragons. Unable to even yet speak, we merely waited for Mother Glimmer to explain, knowing that she would let us know.

Allow me to slip into a dream…….

He rose to his feet, looking at his brothers and sisters. Two brothers, it seemed, and two sisters! Amazing! They looked so fierce and mighty, just as the stories that Mother Glimmer had told us! Why look at our fierce fangs, out strong wings, our sparkly horns, our hooved feet…

Hooved feet? Sparkly horns? These were not part of what Mother Glimmer told us we’d have… Why, my siblings with the horns were cursed without wings! What type of cruel trick could this be? He opened his mouth to question, but could let loose nothing more than a small squeak. He looked around for Mother Glimmer, seeing nothing but the pool of lava we had risen from, and a great golden tree trunk in the middle of the cavern.

How would a tree even be growing in such darkness? He followed the tree trunk upwards with his eyes, to meet with a gently smiling face, towering over us. The trunk moved, showing four others. Could this be the Mother Glimmer who spoke to us all these months? He squeaked once more, drawing her attention, trying to hear that melodious voice once more. The great maw opened, and, like a song, it spoke to us all.

“My children… you have found your freedom from the egg prison, and breathe fresh air at long last… But there seems to be… Why do you so resemble those that we hunt? I do not understand this… Please, come forth from the lava nursery, so that I may see you all in full.”

That voice swirled through his mind like a hypnotizing lullaby, and he felt compelled to obey, trotting onto the shore with his brethren. Mother Glimmer investigated each of them, her face growing into sadness as she examined each of them. When she reached him, however, she recoiled slightly.

“You… All the others at least appear mostly of dragon blood, but you… When I inhale your scent, I do not smell the strength of Dragon as with the others… Your skin is of draconic flesh, but… Your eyes are not of draconic shape… your scales appear to be made of not bone, but of hardened fur… What could have caused my children to be so… unusual?”

He cried at her words, openly, with no shame. He disappointed Mother Glimmer, and did not deserve her stories, her love. His brethren looked no better, all as disappointed in their failures as Mother Glimmers offspring. Our surprise was complete when, instead of casting us out as one should do with failures, she instead drew us in, holding us gently with her wing.

“I should not have been so surprised, to be honest. That… being, I met, long ago, yet what also appears to be a mere seconds ago, as I drank from the lake, he… There was something about him, that I was drawn to. It was not of our prey, but something beyond. It seems that each of you has something of him, and something of me… Come, my children. We have many lessons to learn, and I will not allow fur or horns to dissuade me from teaching…”

A long lost dream ends…

Mother Glimmer did indeed teach us many things. The world of words, of math, music, and art. She taught us all that we would need to name each other, all while hiding us from the other dragons, who would have taken us, destroyed us. Mother Glimmer truly did care for us, but as we grew, she neared her eighth millennia upon the planet. As she neared the end, she told us tales of life and death, and that all creatures eventually have to experience both. We understood what she was saying, though we could not apply it to her. She was, after all, Mother Glimmer, eternal in her love and kindness, and we knew that she would never die.

Of course, in this we were wrong. However, she was still centuries from her death, and we would still have time to grow, time to learn, and most importantly, time to name ourselves. Mother Glimmer always said that one names oneself through actions, not through a word plastered on early in life, and as such, merely referred to each of us in reference to our scale color. Red and Blue, my brothers. White and Purple, my sisters. And I, Green, the odd one out.

There were lessons that each of us were given in private, of course. Mother Glimmer was able to recognize each of our abilities, and worked to increase our abilities to their full. I never found out what Red and Purple were taught, as they were separated from us much earlier than we would have liked, but those two shall be a story for another page. There was one special day, fifteen years into our lives, when Mother Glimmer drew Blue, White and I aside…

Allow me to slip into a dream…

“My children of blue, of white, of green, we have a lesson today. Children of red, of purple, your lesson shall be tomorrow. Please, go forth and learn on your own.”

Green watched Purple and Red scamper off, laughing as Purple once again tripped over her hooves. She stuck her forked tongue out at Green, and then chased after Red, calling out for him to wait. Green turned back to Blue and White, already en route to reach Mother Glimmer first, and to receive the gift of the lesson earliest. Green grinned, and quickly outpaced both of them, sticking his OWN tongue out as he passed.

“My child of green, once again, you show excellence in the lessons of exercise, and of athletics.” Mother Glimmer graced me with a stroke of her wing, sending a happy chill through my body.

“Thank ye, Mother Glimmer. I’ve been practicin’ all o’ me exercises, an’ keepin’ meself in shape.” Green positively yelled at Mother Glimmer, then secretly slapped himself. He had been trying to work on his voice, and thought that he’d been making progress. Hoping that Mother Glimmer didn’t notice his slip of the tongue, Green quickly became quiet, waiting for the days lesson to begin.

Mother Glimmer noticed his… speech impediment forcing itself out, but instead of gently correcting him, she instead laughed softly, and shook her head as Blue and White, exhausted, finally arrived at Mother Glimmers claws.

“Exercise is indeed good, child of green, but todays lesson is of utmost importance, and one of both body, and of mind.” White groaned, while Blue sat up with a grin on his face, and Green waited, a confused expression upon his face. He wanted more lessons of the body, while White always preferred lessons of the arts. Blue, of course, relished the lessons of the mind.

Glimmer lay down on the ground, flattening herself for the three of her children. “Come, my children. Today, we meet those that I have once called prey…” The three of us looked at one another with shock as we climbed on board. We had never had anything other than gems before, and had never seen a creature other than ourselves before. Blue and I grew excited about what we were doing. It was White who noticed the sadness in Mother Glimmers eyes, who knew something was going to happen.

“We go to meet, and to introduce… My children of red and purple have yet to complete lessons, as they have stronger blood, but the three of you have learned all that I can teach… There would have been many more lessons, had you all been pure blood, but now… You have new teachers.” Her wings stroked, carrying us to our destination. Now all three of us looked shocked, and scared. We didn’t need a new teacher, Mother Glimmer was all we needed.

“But… Mother Glimmer?” Blue spoke his mind, as he always did, while White and Green hugged each other, her from fear of heights, Green from fear of his sister being scared. “ Why do you always say we are not of pure blood? We are your children, we must be of equal blood of you! Why do we need new teachers? You’ve always taught us what we need to know!” Blue was in tears by this point, as were White and Green, scared of being left by Mother Glimmer.

“I have taught you many things, all three of you, but as much as I truly wish you could be of equal blood as I, it cannot be true… Your father was of another species. Not of dragon blood. I have taught all of you how to live as a dragon would, but now you must learn to live as a pony would. Do not consider this a good bye, my dear children… This is merely a short trip away from home, so that you can all learn more lessons. Do not fear, I will find you all again one day. Know that I love you, and that all that I do is for you.”

Her words bolstered Green, and looking at his tearful siblings, he straightened myself, puffing out his scrawny, yet slowly building chest as full as it would go. Mother Glimmer cared for us, and he would show that care for siblings as well, as Mother Glimmer had always taught.

Soon enough, far too soon for all of us, Mother Glimmer landed, allowing each of us to leave. She pointed to a strange grey structure in the distance, than leaned in close to Green, whispering into his ear with a wink. “In that structure, you shall find many who look far more similar to you than you do to me… And in your case, child of green, they also SOUND far more similar… Now get to walking. If the three of you leave now, you shall arrive by nightfall.”

Mother Glimmer drew us each into one last hug, a tear dropping from her eye, and splashing into the ground. Without a backward glance, Mother Glimmer left us, returning to the volcano nursery that we grew in. We each watched until she had disappeared, then turned to one another in fear, and in camaraderie.

“What do we do, Green?” White rarely spoke, but when she did, it was with a soft, and yet strong voice. This time, it broke with the crack of fear. “Mother Glimmer spoke to you… What do we do now?”

Green looked at his sickly and weak brother, at his scared and confused sister, and felt like he… was somehow where he belonged, as a leader. “Well, isnae it obvious, lass? We’ve got ta get ta walkin’, o’er there.” Green pointed with my wing to the grey structure. With that simple point, the three of us began our march. Green grinned at Blue and White, feeding them courage through his own fear. Green swore to protect his family with all that he had, as his mother would.

A long lost dream ends…

That would be the last that we saw of our mother, or of Purple and Red, for many decades… With a nervous heart, but a false grin on my face, the three of us left the first half of our childhood, stepping towards an uncertain future. Soon, I would be meeting those that I consider, to this day, to be my other family, and to the greatest fifty years of my life.

It truly was a full day march, from the early hours of the morning, until late in the evening, as the sun began to drop below the horizon. The three of us arrived, bedraggled and tired, to the foot of that strange structure, made of carved stone, towering and hollow. A massive wooden door stood in our path, and, not knowing what a door was at the time, we merely waited by it, not understanding. It was not until the next morning that we were discovered…

Allow me to slip into a dream…

“Och, would ye all take a look at this? We seem ta have some wee little intruders huddled at our gate!” Green looked up at the leering voice, lifting his head from the huddle he had made with his brother and sister to protect them each from the cold. “Och, an’ look, one o’ tha wee intruders understands me! Hullo there, wee intruder! Have ye come ta take our castle, or merely ta burn our grain?” Laughter from multiple beings, so high up they appeared as merely shadows, echoed down upon us. Green pulled White and Blue in close, then mustered the courage to speak.

“Nae, my good… um… lad? We have come ta learn lessons, as Mother Glimmer taught us… Are ye ta be our new teacher?” As Green finished his reply, laughter again rained down upon the three. He was thoroughly confused by this point, not understanding these creatures far above him. Why would they laugh, when no joke had been told? What caused them to be so joyful?

“Ach, well, lessons is what yer here for? Well, let’s jus’ let tha wee students in, shall we? We’ll let Bargahrain decide wha’ should happen ta them…” The massive wooden device lifted showing the inside of the strange structure, and multiple creatures, all of which wore what appeared to be false heads, looking down upon them. One of the creature recoiled back when he saw us.

“Wha’ devilry… These creatures are nae o’ pony blood! What are ye bein’s called? Are ye o’ dragoon blood?” The way that the… pony… said dragon seemed drawn out to us. As though he was adding an extra o in his sentence. “Answer me, creature! Are ye o’ dragoon blood?” His wings held some strange looking pole, with a chunk of iron upon the end.

Green, protecting his siblings from what appeared to be a weapon of some sort, stepped in between the strange creature, and his brother and sister. “Aye, we are… Dragoons… Green Dragoon, at yer service.” Mother Glimmer had always taught her children to be respectful, even though they had never met any other beings than themselves to this very day. Green bowed as Mother Glimmer had taught her, hoping that the encounter would not come to blows.

There was a moment of silence, then the creature laughed, reaching up and pulling his false head off. “Ye ken… I dinnae care if yer o’ dragoon blood, somepony brought ye up righ’… Green, aye? An’ I’m guessin’ that tha two with ye are named Blue an’ White?” When I looked shocked at his knowledge, he merely laughed once again. “Ach, we’d heard tha’ the glimmer had some children, tha’ seemed different, an’ we havenae been raided fer fifteen years… Seems tha’ ye were those very creatures tha’ rumor spoke of… Tell me, why shouldnae we kill ye now, fer all o’ tha years o’ grief yer mother has caused fer us?” Once again, the strange metal pole was lifted, high into the air above his head.

Green looked to the creatures, fearful not for himself, but for his siblings. “We have only come ta learn… We… We dinnae come ta die, my good sir… Please.” Green looked into the ponies eyes, looking for a spark of anger, of hatred, but saw nothing but… cheer? A creature threatening to kill him, and it seemed happy to be doing so.

The pole slowly lowered, as another voice rang out through the air. “HOLD YER WINGS, GLAIOCH! These three have been offered ta us as a peace offerin’… The glimmer wishes fer us ta teach them, an’ she shall cease in her attacks…” White perked up at the new, female voice, and the three siblings looked to the newcomer, descending a set of stairs rapidly to stop the creature before us.

The newcomer stopped, panting heavily, then turned to Green apologetically. “Yer mother caused our clan many years o’ misery, wee one… Ye mus’ understand, we arenae fans o’ dragon blood here. Howe’er, yer appearance means a possibility o’ peace, an’ we mus’ take it… Come within tha’ fort, wee ones… I am Bargahrain, bard, an’ clan leader o’ this fine land… An’ yer new teacher.”

Green looked to Bargahrain, confusion evident. “Mother Glimmer, causin’ misery? Tha’ canne be… She has been naught but tha kindest, an’ mos’ lovin ta us… Surely, ye mus’ be tellin’ a tale ta us now…” Green stopped speaking, as Bargahrain shook her head no. She said no more as she brought the children within the fortress, huddled together and shivering, taking the harsh glares from all that they passed.

Soon, the siblings had reached a large, empty room, with none but Bargahrain, and Glaioch at the front of the room. Bargahrain sighed sadly, then faced us. “Yer firs’ lesson shall be the hardest, wee ones… Ye already ken what we are, but we can tell ye history later… Before ye even settle in our fort, ye MUS’ ken tha reason yer all here, what yer mother has done ta us… Before yer allowed within the actual courtyard, ye mus’ ken tha true history between tha dragons, an’ tha ponies o’ Scoltland… Please, be seated. We’ll bring food an’ water as tha lesson goes on. It shall be quite long…”

A long lost dream ends…

Bargahrain and Glaioch would teach us long into the night, and into the early morning, of the history of the Kraoich clan, and of what the dragons had done to them. With each tale of fire, of death and devastation, we lost parts of ourselves… White attempted to flee halfway through, in tears, and Blue had passed out at one point. I as well had felt weak kneed, and weak willed. This could not be the truth, could not be what our mother and her kin were capable of… But with each story, Bargahrain would show us proof, so that we could not disagree.

Glimmer was an enemy of all of her clan, as she had long hunted their clan. They had a detailed history of each that had been lost to her fire, to her claws and her maw. Full graveyards of farmers, warriors and workers killed. Tapestries of the battles against her adorned the halls of that great room that would become our classroom.

Finally, after what seemed like days of nightmares, of horror uncomprehend able, the lesson ended, and we were finally allowed within the fort itself, to a quiet arrival. Bargahrain told us that Glimmer had not been sighted in fifteen years, but in that time they had attempted to regain control of lost territories, resulting in clan warfare, and most of the clan being away. Glaioch told us that he was to be at the lead of the warfare, but had been forced to stay behind to guard us, in case we were hostile. He clearly regretted this decision, and glared at us angrily, threatening us each chance he could get.

We would live the first year of our life within the fort, only seeing two ponies… Glaioch, our cruel guardian, and Bargahrain, our emotionless teacher. We learned of the history of the clan, of the land, of maps and tales that we had never seen or heard. We learned of many lands, those outside of Scoltland, and of the goddesses that controlled the heavens, in another land far away. Slowly, and luckily to us, Bargahrain began to realize that we were not the cruel monsters she believed we were, and warmed up to us as we learned, beginning to teach us lessons of art.

Glaioch, however… He would never give us freedom, always taunting us, trying to make us break so that he would be allowed to destroy us. Many times, I nearly rose to his insults, only being calmed at the last second by White, or Blue… Sadly, though, Glaioch noticed my rage, and began endeavoring to separate me from my siblings…

Allow me to slip into a dream…

Green left the lesson of music. He’d begun to enjoy the fiddle that Bargahrain had been teaching him, and of all instruments. His wing gently gripped the handle of his instrument, almost skipping along. Blue and White had not shown his abilities with music, and had been given separate lessons on the arts. He trotted through the great hall, shuddering as he once again looked up at the tapestries decorated with his mothers conquests.

“Yer feelin’ tha bloodlust, arenae ye, ye wee scunner…” A familiar voice echoed from behind Green, and he slowly turned to see his cruel task-master. “Each time ye walk through here, I see ye shudderin’ from tha delight o’ tha blood yer demon o’ a mother caused… And why nae? Yer a monster, jus’ as she is…”

“Ach, Glaioch… Take tha’ back! Ye’ve ne’er met her, how would ye ken what she’s like? She’s nae a monster, and neither am I!” His voice was able to quickly rip into Green’s nerves, his anger already rising. Even with those tapestries above him, Green still loved his mother. “Why are ye always insulti-“ Green suddenly found himself rammed into a pillar, held off the ground by a strong pair of wings.

“I dinnae her? I DINNAE HER? How dare ye… All this time, ye ne’er ONCE thought about how this was fer me… I had a child once, an’ a wife… such as tha’ monster ye call a mother...” Glaioch eyes burned with fury, as he applied more and more pressure into Greens throat. “Aye, I ne’er met her, but I felt her fire. She destroyed what was closest ta Bargahrain an’ I… An’ she let Bargahrain live with her shame… Tha’ she couldnae save her own daughter. An’ she left me with nae but my anger, an’ rage. The ONLY reason yer nae dead is because Bargahrain told me nae ta…” The wings released Greens throat, dropping him to the stone floor as he gasped for air.
Glaioch kicked Greens prone form as he trotted by, then cursed loudly. “Ach, an’ would ye look at tha’… Bargahrain is gin’ ta have my hide… Or yers, if I play me cards right…” Lying next to Green was a broken fiddle, its strings splayed out, and bent inwards from the pressure of being snapped. Green looked at the violin, then up at the gloating Glaioch, and felt the red washing in to his eyes. He shakily rose, and trotted towards the one he hated so much…

A long lost dream ends…

I truly wish that I could say that my fury gave me strength, my anger led me to victory. I wish to say that I destroyed Glaioch in a fair fight, teaching him to never mess with me again. I truly wish these things, but, as they say, a dream can quickly transform…

Into a nightmare…

Green coughed violently, spitting his blood on to the floor. Twenty minutes, this beating had gone on… Fifteen minutes since he had surrendered to Glaioch. Not even one of his blows had landed on the towering Pegasi, who merely mocked him now, as he lay there, unable to even move.

“Ye’ve got nae idea, ye son o’ scum… The SECOND tha’ ye decided ta attack me, was tha SECOND tha’ I was allowed ta do anythin’ I wished ta ye…” Glaioch slammed his hoof on to Green’s spine, ramming him into the ground with a weak whimper, “Honestly, I’m surprised tha’ ye were able ta last five minutes.” Glaioch laughed, then stomped his fore-hooves on to the back of Greens head, sending pain and stars ripping through his mind. “C’mon, ye scum. Stand up. I dinnae care if ye live or die, but I’d prefer fer one tha’ I kill ta have tha honor ta stand first.”

Green continued to lie on the ground, desperately attempting to get breath in to his lungs. He wanted to stand, wanted to show Glaioch that he wasn’t scum, but lying in a pool of his own blood, scales and teeth, he just couldn’t. The pain ripping through his body was unlike anything he had ever felt before. He just laid there, on the warm stone floor, tears dripping from his eyes, unable to make them stop.

“So… Ye dinnae even have tha honor ta stand an’ face yer killer, aye? Well, let it be said tha’ I offered…” Glaioch casually trotted away, returning moments later with his axe. He leaned in close to Greens newly torn ear, whispering. “An’ ta think tha’ I ALMOS’ let Bargahrain talk me inta given ye a chance… I see tha’ ye didnae need one ta show yer true colors…” Glaioch casually lifted the axe into the air as he spoke. He looked at Green’s bloodied form for several seconds, before chuckling. “Well… Cannae say tha’ I willnae enjoy this, son o’ tha demon dragon…” The axe swung, and Green closed his eyes.

“GREEN!!!” A soft, yet hard female voice rang out, and the axe froze, caught in an aura of white. Glaioch glared at the axe, tugging desperately to move it, then watched in horror as the aura captured his wing, spreading down to his full body, holding him in place.

“Wha’ manner o sorcery is th-“ His attempts to struggle proved to be in vain, as he was lifted into the air, still as a statue, then slammed in to the ground, silencing his attempts to scream or curse. His form was thrown around the room, screaming, until he looked as badly off as Green did. As he was beaten, the aura holding him weakened, until, after what seemed like hours, but was merely a minute, the aura flickered out, dropping Glaioch from the top of the room, groaning, to the floor with a sickening crunch.

Green opened his eyes, looking into the horrified silvery eyes of his sister, along with those of Bargahrain. She looked at Glaioch, crying, and gasping to breath. “I… He was… How… I… I’m so…” White was unable to complete her stammered comments, and instead ran from the room, sobbing. Bargahrain frowned at the crumpled form of Glaioch, the galloped to Green.

“Wee one, please… Stay still… We only caught a wee bit o’ tha… fight… If tha’ could have been considered a fight, instead o’ a pony going forth an’ torturin’ a child… We’ll get a healer here as soon as possible… Jus’ stay still, an’ we’ll help ye…” Bargahrain ceased her speech, as Green’s wing weakly grabbed her hoof

Green looked to Bargahrain through eyes he could barely hold open, crying. Through his swelling lips, he managed two last sentences before he lost consciousness, “M-M-Make sure White is alrigh’… An’ please… I’m sorry about yer violin.” *Green’s view changed to blackness, his last sight that of a stunned Bargahrain, drawing him into a gentle hug in her earth pony arms.

A nightmare has concluded…

White had not run away, she had just locked herself in her room, scared of what she had just done to another living being. I was honestly lucky… During the fight, right at the end, Glaioch had accidentally knocked over a pot, smashing it, and drawing Blue in to the Great Hall. He ran away, fearful of being concluded in the beating, but also to find somepony who could help. Luckily, he had found Bargahrain, teaching White how to sing a ballad, and they quickly came to my aid, quite literally at the last second.

The worst part of this is that, even facing my own death, and being saved, I only felt shame. I had promised to protect my siblings, and instead, they were the ones who had to protect me. Blue brought me help, and White saved me, yet all I had done was allow my rage to overtake me, putting me in to a fight with a much more experienced fighter, nearly to my death.
Somehow, that last comment that I had made began to break the wall of sadness around Bargahrains heart. The fact that I, broken, beaten and bloody, was more concerned for her, and my sister, somehow touched her. She began to care for us as she would her own children, and, a month after I nearly died, she laughed for the first time since we had met her.
Through all of this, my bond with my brother and sister only had room to grow, and it took that room. The guards who had been left behind during the conquests began to refer to us as ‘the Technicolor triplets’ and would join in on our games, our lessons. Some of the guards began to teach us little things outside of our average lessons. The first time that I played one of the songs that I was taught to Bargahrain… Well, when I realized what those words meant, I understood that full week of punishment.

Glaioch, however… After his defeat at the hooves of my sisters magical prowess, only began to hate us more. We feared him trying to exact his revenge on us at any moment, and it was only Bargahrains insistence that we always travelled together, or with a guard, is what probably kept us safe. Even then, we would always seemingly find him, around that next corner, waiting, and watching…

Even with Glaioch, however, we were finally feeling like we belonged. We were able to play, and laugh again. We each began to realize that there were things that we had never learned in the volcano nursery. My love of music led to me learning multiple instruments, as well as beginning to write my own poetry. Blue, always curiously poking around, discovered that his ‘scientific discoveries’ were easier to remember if he drew, began to make tapestries, and paintings of his discoveries, that looked as though he had the actual item in front of him, instead of a sheet of paper. And White spent more time with Bargahrain than Blue and I, learning the tales and myths of the land, and even began to write her own stories, her own worlds and heroes.

Of course, even with all of this, we knew that one day, this lazy, quiet lifestyle would end. We had heard the word of successful campaigns at the edge of the Kraoich lands… And soon, the rest of the family would arrive. And they would arrive several years later, as we grew out of being teenagers, and finally achieved our adulthood…