• Published 28th May 2013
  • 1,007 Views, 7 Comments

Portentous - Lone Star's Chronicles - Einzel



Re-starting life without memories can be difficult but friends always help. However will these friends stay true to him once his past, and his deeds and failures, are revealed?

  • ...
 7
 1,007

Chapter 1: The first day of my new life

Chapter 1: The first day of my new life

This day... I remember perfectly how it started, I could never forget it since it was the craziest day of my entire life, or what I could remember.

My head was a mess. Last night probably was really crazy, because I don’t know where I am, what I am doing here or the most important: who I am.

First things first, after looking around I noticed I was in a room, I could hear voices outside. For my own sake I kept trying to remember what happened last night but it was of no use, nothing came to mind.

I moved outside just to discover I’m in a hotel. Not good. Things took a turn to worse when I realized I didn’t have any money with me, not a single bit. That could put me in serious trouble in the check-out.

For some reason I couldn’t just sneak out of that place, I just felt I shouldn’t do that. Heck, who am I trying to impress, I simply COULDN’T because I was in panic and completely disoriented. I woke up in a hotel room completely memory-less and also money-less too.

After hyperventilating for a few minutes I pulled myself together and gathered enough courage to talk to the responsible in the counter.

“Good morning,” I said in a nervous tone tapping one of my hoofs on the counter.

The lady in the counter looked at me and spoke casually, “Good morning, sir.” She fixed her glasses and gave me a puzzled look as she already knew I was in trouble (as if there could be any doubt).

After breathing deep I managed to calm myself and then speak again, “I beg your pardon, but may I ask you a question?”

“Yes, of course,” she said concerned, by now she had noticed my uneasiness.

I had to begin somehow, the first question that popped on my head was: “Was I, um, accompanied last night?”

That question may sound weird, but before anything I had to be sure that I didn’t have an ill-intentioned roommate. In case I had it was a good start for my search.

“No, sir. You were alone and seemed to be in a hurry,” she spoke now casting a somewhat suspicious look on me.

“Oh, good!” I nearly yelled with a very awkward smile.

Heh, “good”. Really? Clearly my situation was anything except good.

“Will you be staying with us for another day I presume?” she asked expectantly with a smile even though how weirdly I was acting.

I had my share of troubles so naturally the answer was: “No, thanks. May I ask how much I owe for my room?”

She laughed heartily, “Sir, it is this humble hotel that is in your debt as you honored this simple, yet comfortable, place with your presence.”

Why was she treating me as if I were some kind of celebrity? Heck and hay with it, I decided to play along, the last thing I needed was to somepony to notice I barely could remember how to walk, let alone that I don’t even know where I am, or worse, if I am who they really think I am.

And now for the critical question I that was making me sweat bullets and my heart bump so much a medic could easily confuse it with a drum roll.

“So, do I have any extra fees here before I check-out?” I breathed deep and gulped, I still didn’t know what in the wild world I’d you do if I had, actually I was more worried on what THEY would do...

“No, you paid everything in advance during your check-in.” She confirmed after flipping through her log book.

I calmed considerably down once I knew I had no debts with the place and went right back to my room. My situation got a little better when I found some money, not much, though, in a small pocket I forgot to check inside my saddlebag. The problem is that I didn’t find anything that could tell my real name or if I had some business where I am now (wherever this place is). So many questions and so little information alongside my own confusion was getting under my skin.

A little later I checked the heck out of that place before anything could’ve happened and started to wander around the streets of that city. I could remember nothing about anything at all, I had to overhear people chattering to understand I was in one of the biggest cities of Equestria, Canterlot, which houses the castle of our ruler, Princess Celestia, and something about an experiment with magic that went wrong which resulted in several holes being opened on the city’s defenses and many other pointless gossips such as the princesses manes, a royal marriage that nearly ended in disaster a while ago and stuff.

This Canterlot certainly was impressive, it had high buildings and all sort of shops and people, but unfortunately especially the upper crust. They were everywhere in that place, it started to make me sick just see those haughty bums in every corner, all of them dressed in the best and eating the best while everypony else was working themselves to no end.

I was amnesiac but my consciousness and persona seemed to be intact for some reason. The first good news I had ever since I woke up today.

Unfortunately, what happened next really made me bite my tongue: a couple of guards noticed me waltzing around and halted me immediately.

“Horse apples”, I muttered.

After a quick questioning they spoke to each other while I waited and then they decided to take me to that ginormous castle, the Canterlot castle.

I sighed. I REALLY should’ve stayed sleeping today.

I entered the castle after few security procedures and the guards were still taking me somewhere, probably an interrogation room or just a dungeon. I had nothing to say mainly because my memory was just as clear as a swamp in a new moon night.

I was in panic. Again. Have you ever felt panic? I felt this feeling so much then I could even lecture ponies about it. Anyway met me elucidate: you feel helpless, you know that something really bad is about to happen but you can’t do anything about it. You can only go on or wait (which wasn’t my case) and pray for whoever your believed for some kind of intervention. That’s how I felt there and those feelings only grew bigger once I entered that room. The throne room.

A majestic figure was in the deepest part of said room and I felt my mere presence inside that place was an unforgiving offense. One of the guards went to talk to her and called her “Princess Celestia”. The other guard told me to go further and upon reach at sufficient distance she stopped writing and gazed on me, I instantly froze, my instincts made be instantly bow before her.

“Do you know why you are here?” her voice echoed through the room while she gazed at me solemnly.

Horse apples, horse apples, horse apples. Definitely not a good start. Whenever you hear this, it doesn’t matter where or from who, you know you’re in DEEP. No matter how hard, or desperately, I couldn’t speak anything coherent for about half minute until she chuckled and told me to calm down.

“Please, be calm. I am sure you’ve been startled as you were practically dragged to this room by my guards. I apologize for that but our meeting could not be delayed any further,” said Celestia still looking at me as if she were analyzing me.

I was still in panic, the guards wouldn’t have brought me like that if I hadn’t anything of utmost importance to report to the princess, but my I couldn’t remember anything yet. Well, when in front of the judge sincerity is probably the best way to get some mercy.

“Your majesty, I am truly sorry for whatever trouble I may have caused to be here, but--!” even in panic I somehow managed to pull all those words together.

Before I could go on she told me to calm down again and to rise my head. But I simply couldn’t chill, my head was a complete mess, I was in front of a princess with no clues of why I was even brought to her in first place, I was afraid that she would get angry at me for wasting her time and throw me in a dungeon or something.

“You are not here for such reasons, Lone Star,” she spoke with a gentler tone trying to calm me, “I've accepted your request for an audience and I should add you were quite eager for this moment.”

That name she mentioned, Lone Star. It rang a bell in my head, it sounded so familiar.

“Lone Star,” I murmured. With a puzzled look in my eyes I asked Celestia, “Lone Star... Is that really my name?”

The question apparently surprised her as much as it did me.

“How... How come you can’t remember your own name?” Celestia asked with a confused expression, she looked so confident and imposing few moments ago that it surprised me even more to her face like that.

“I am sorry your majesty. Today has been a very strange and confusing day for me,” I spoke much less nervous although I was still tapping one of my hoofs on the carpet.

“Please tell me what happened,” she asked with a compassionate voice.

To be honest I wasn’t sure if I really should, but Princess Celestia seemed really worried, or should I say concerned, about my current situation, besides she probably was my best chance to discover or at least get a clue on what happened to me.

I took a deep breath before starting, “Not even I really understood what happened, I just woke up today but most of my memories seems to have been wiped out. I couldn’t remember anything, not even that this is Canterlot nor even about you, your highness. I can’t even begin to think on how this could be possible-- or that it was even possible.”

I saw Princess Celestia’s face frown in perplexity as I did when I woke up. I wasn’t sure if she was thinking on what could have happened to me or if I was just pretending to be amnesiac for some reason. That quiet moment seemed to last forever as I felt I was being judged, just waiting for the verdict to come out from her.

“How come you can be so certain of it?” she asked in a rather gentle tone, but looking at me expectantly.

I sighed dispirited because I felt that the princess wasn’t believing it, but then again, who would? With a disheartened voice I said, “I didn’t even remember my own name up until now, your majesty, and you certainly noted how uneasy I felt upon entering here. If I had an audience with you, your highness, I certainly would at least remember the issue we had to discuss.”

Princess Celestia just stood there pondering everything I had related. I was much calmer, but that didn't mean I was satisfied with my situation, being dragged to the castle sure wasn't a nice way to know I had an audience with our ruler.

“But why have you summoned me?” I asked drown in confusion, “I am nothing but a mere earth pony unworthy of even being here.”

The princess shook her head. “I’m afraid I can’t help you with your doubt, Lone Star.”

“Princess, I’m sorry for being such waste of your time,” I humbly apologized.

The Princess looked at me and spoke calmly, “It cannot be helped, what happened to you is most unfortunate, however I will do what I can to help you.”

Princess Celestia was an amazing mare, she deserved her reputation, she knew how to conduct a talk perfectly calming me down just as you’d expect from a leader talking to their subordinates.

“If you’ve lost your memories then I can assume you are without home to live, am I correct?”

“Yes, your majesty,” I confirmed embarrassed.

“I cannot leave my subject in such situation, can I?” Celestia said smiling gently.

With a mere look and a signal, she had one of her assistants to bring a scripture and hand it over to me, after a quick glance through it I saw it was the scripture of a house.

“Your highness...” I muttered nervously.

“Please do accept it. You’ll be able to fully recover resting in the place I’ve chosen for you, Lone Star. As much as Canterlot has to offer, there isn’t any better remedy to restore lost memories better than time itself,” she spoke before grabbing another scripture, signing it and giving to her assistant.

“Th-thank you! Thank you so very much, your highness!” again I nearly yelled, but this time in satisfaction, relived and grateful for her kindness.

After few formalities I zoomed to the train station and started my trek to my new home. I felt so happy I could jump sky high, I wouldn’t have to bother in finding a place to live! During my train ride I was finally able to relax and think clearly about everything that happened in this long weird day, it was then that I cursed my own ignorance, I realized I could have solved the name mystery by simply asking the lady in the counter to check the hotel guest book. I face hoofed myself. Fear and hurry had gotten the better of me there.

In any case I was so happy. I was so anxious.

Author's Note:

I apologize in advance for any English mistakes here, please take in consideration that English is not my first language.

I try my best reviewing the text on Word and searching synonyms while on the internet but one thing or another ought to sound strange or out of place.

Thanks in advance for everyone who took their time to read this fanfic.