• Published 2nd Jun 2013
  • 889 Views, 6 Comments

Eternal Nightmare - Jgame



As I've heard, six of Celestia's followers have had their stories told of the goings on in Equestria. I suppose I should do the same. Allow me to introduce myself. You may call me Princess Luna. This is my story.

  • ...
2
 6
 889

Chapter Seven

A few hours later, I heard a tepid knock on the door.

“Come in,” I said tersely.

A pegasus came in. I noticed that he was mane was light blue, meaning that he wasn't part of Celestia's guard. It was most likely he was a messenger.

“Princess Celestia wanted to notify you that you are allowed free reign of the castle,” the pegasus said quietly, “but-- you're not to go outside Canterlot Castle.”

“Very well,” I said calmly.

The pegasus sighed with relief. “Princess Celestia also wanted your response.”

“Tell her I accept her terms and find them reasonable.”

That was the last I had heard from my sister for a while.

Admittedly, I was glad that she was out of my mane. I spent my idle time to good use, burning the midnight oil in the castle library to research the current state of affairs in Equestria.

I was already nearly up to date anyways, thanks to Night Mare Moon's pool of water. However, there were occasionally small things that had aged when I had my eyes somewhere else, or escaped my notice completely.

For example, in my time there was an composer named Wolf Fang had been widely known to compose utter trash. Now, a millennium later, he is hailed as the most influential composers of his time, his musical works an utter marvel.

One thousand years is a long time to be gone from the world, I reflected.

Five days into my secluded reading, I had decided to study the current state of Equestrian military. I had a few choice thoughts about their usefulness, yet regardless I researched.

A quick search through history books revealed that nothing had happened to warrant a change in my opinion.

Every time some noteworthy event happened, the history books simply had said the Equestian military failed, or, in some cases, weren't even mentioned. My sister had been the one to save the day, and not her guards.

Regardless, I was searching through military law, when I came across rule fifty-two. It simply stated: “Rule fifty-two of the Equestrian Military: A soldier who has felt that their superior, being princess, captain, or otherwise, has severly erred in judgement, is permitted by law to ignore or directly oppose their leader.”

I pursed my lips. This rule did not exist when before my banishment.

I called to a librarian working a distance away. “Where may I find a book on the history of Equestrian military law?”

The librarian looked at the book I had been reading and pointed to it. “I believe you will find it there.”

“I need to know how the laws were created and exactly when they were implemented,” I specified.

“Ah. Give me one moment,” the librarian politely said.

Moments later, she came back with a book titled “Laws: How They Came To Be.”

A rather direct and to the point title, I mused.

I thanked her and began to quickly flip through the pages until I found rule fifty-two. Only a few lines explained it's existence. I began to read the short paragraph.

Implemented a year after Night Mare Moon's banishment,it was a topic of much concern, with Equestrian citizens anxious that the law could easily allow Equestrian soldiers to disobey laws and legally abuse their power. However, Princess Celestia calmed what could have been a revolution.

My eyes returned to the start of the paragraph.

Implemented a year after Night Mare Moon's banishment.

Of course. Why else make such a law unless you were worried that your sister would go insane for a second time?

The Sun was starting to rise. I magically levitated the piles of books onto a unponied trolley, and went back to my room to sleep.

The next day, I was woken to the sound of a firm knock at the door.

Just by the knocking sound alone, I knew it was my sister.

I sighed. “Enter.”

Sure enough, my sister came through the door.

“Did I wake you up?” my sister asked.

“Thou hast, yet it was time I was awoken anyways. What did thou come for?”

“Two things,” my sister said, “first-- I'm sorry. I shouldn't have tried to hide so many things from you.”

I blinked. “I'm... sorry as well.”

“And... I think it's time for a certain pony to begin raising the Moon once again.”

“Dost thou trust me with the task this time?”

“To be honest, I don't,” my sister said with uncharacteristic bluntness, “but, forgiveness is instant. It's trust that takes a long time to build.”

“Then perhaps I should begin rebuilding that trust.”

My sister nodded. “The only true way to rebuild trust is to take action."

I looked out the window to see the Sun slowly vanish below the horizon.

“Then take action I shall,” I said.

I attempted to raise the Moon.

My horn glowed with the my magical blue aura, only to fizzle out.

I closed my eyes and concentrated this time.

My efforts were rewarded with a throbbing headache.

“Maybe I should raise the Moon tonight,” my sister said gently.

“No,” I said firmly.

I took a deep breath, relaxed my body and negated the headache that I now had. I would raise the Moon tonight. I must.

I cast the spell. My mind felt as if it was being squeezed by talons.

I opened my eyes to see the Moon slowly rising in the sky.

“Are you alright?” my sister asked with audible concern.

“Yes,” I said. “Simply a harsher ordeal then I thought.”

“The Elements didn't just take the evil you had in you, they took your powers, your appearance...” my sister marveled.

“And I'm glad that I look ugly. I'll take this ugly form in the glass of a mirror over the beautiful evil in a pool of water,” I said.

“I didn't say you were ugly, just... different compared to before,” my sister said carefully.

“Would you rather I look like Night Mare Moon?”

“I meant before you became Night Mare Moon. Although, you at the time and Night Mare Moon look awfully similar.”

“We were one and the same,” I said simply.

“Were?” my sister questioned, “Or still is?”

“I'm not sure myself.”

My sister sighed. “That's what I'm afraid of.”

“Thou art not the only one,” I said darkly.

After a moment of silence, I decided to change the subject. “There is one thing I wished to ask of thou.”

“Yes?”

“Thou hath allowed me free reign of Canterlot Castle, yet will not allow me to leave the premises. Why?”

“You aren't ready just yet,” my sister said.

“If not now, when?”

My sister raised a placating hoof. “In a week, there is going to be a new hospital opening in Canterlot. I intend to see the red ribbon cut myself.”

“And I am to stay here?”

My sister smiled. “Actually, I thought this would be an excellent high note to reintroduce you to Canterlot.”

One day before the opening of the Canterlot hospital, I was once arguing with my sister.

“I can groom my own mane,” I said gruffly, “I needst not a pony to do it for me.”

My sister touched a hoof to her face, making a gesture that was unfamiliar to me, yet one that seemed to be born of exasperation.

“Sister, this is a special occasion,” my sister said.

“I do not see thy point,” I said, “a special occasion will not impair me from brushing my mane.”

“You need to look your best for Canterlot,” my sister argued.

“If I recall, thy hast said thyself yesterday that Canterlot will love me no matter what,” I countered.

“Someponies are going to be looking for any excuse they can find to not like you,” my sister suddenly informed me, “even a average looking mane is going to be used as ammunition.”

“And thou intended to tell me this when?” I asked between gritted teeth.

Celestia merely held her mouth open before closing it and henging her head slightly. “I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. They're such a small group they shouldn't cause any harm, but I don't want to make any political blunders if I can avoid it.”

“Noted,” I remarked dryly, “but aside from a group that shouldn't cause any harm, why should I still volunteer for this hairdresser?”

“Give it at least one chance,” my sister urged.

“Very well,” I grumbled, “thou shalt have it thy way. I will see this hairdresser, and utilize her services.”

My sister nodded, with a relieved smile. “I'll take care of the preparations, then.”