• Published 15th May 2013
  • 1,058 Views, 25 Comments

Equestria's Gates - Shin Guyviroth



When a darkness threatens to consume the entirety of pre-history Equestria, it is up to a collection of six daring ponies to conquer it

  • ...
2
 25
 1,058

Chapter 1 - The Gathering of Magic

"Quiet now, children," a voice commanded from the front of the room. "Class is in session!"

A large mare stood in front of the gathering of students -- thirty in total -- up straight and her head held high. The pony was of Earth origin with a light grey fur coat and even lighter grey hair, showing her advanced age and maturity. She wore a long, blue scholar's coat over herself and a matching wizard's hat. Her eyes darted forwards, fixating on nopony in particular but still giving off the aura of authority over her class. The children soon quietened down, their attention given to her without fault.

"Right then, class," she began, "we will begin with a recap of yesterday's studies. Now, can anypony tell me the difference between a 'cantrip' and an 'apprentice' spell?" Only two ponies raised their hooves in the air. One of them was a dark indigo filly with a lighter mane, with a dark ebon vest over her chest bearing the symbol of a crescent moon. The other was a pure white colt with a light orange mane. His hoof shot up with haste and enthusiasm. "Yes, Sun Flare?"

The pony responded with an overjoyed and eager smile upon his face, "A 'cantrip' is a minor spell that requires little or no magic to use and so is not strenuous nor powerful, while an 'apprentice' -- or '1st level' -- spell requires more magic and has a chance to backfire."

"Very good. I'm glad to see somepony has done their homework." The teacher was visibly not impressed with the lack of studying her students undertook outside of the class, or even if they bothered paying attention to her in the first place. "Celestia, I'm astounded that you were not one of the first to raise their hoof. You know the answers too well, I would think."

The little white filly looked up and gave an awkward smile. "I… uh…" She tried to think of a sensible excuse, but being put on the spot like she was now was causing her mind to wander without coherency. Eventually, she found one. "I… just wanted to give everyone else a chance. Heh…"

"… That seems reasonable," the teacher replied as she stared down at Celestia through her thin, oval glasses. To the relief of the pressured pony, her gaze switched to the dark filly beside her. "I enjoy your enthusiasm, Luna. I only hope that everyone else can follow you and your sister's example and keep up with their studies."

"Yes, Miss Oghma," Luna responded with a nod, her face showing indifference.

"Then, without further delay, we shall continue with learning different spell levels." Miss Oghma turned to face the large blackboard on the wall behind her, picking up a long piece of white chalk in her hoof and writing a series of diagrams and lists. "Now, as a Unicorn grow in power their magical abilities start to increase, allowing them to use and control stronger spells, from your basic cantrips to your most powerful 9th level, or 'paragon', spells. However --"

"Psst. Sister," whispered Luna from over her desk. "You didn't do your homework, did you?"

"Well… no," replied Celestia in hushed words. "I've been categorizing my books alphabetically and by genre. I haven't had time to --"

"Celestia," exclaimed Miss Oghma, her head turning only slightly as she gazed at the young Alicorn out of the corner of her eye. "I assume that you have something of importance to tell the whole class? Or can I continue with the lesson?"

"N-no… Sorry, Miss Oghma…"

"Thank you." Turning back to the board, Miss Oghma continued to finalize her writings. "Now, as I was saying, even the lowliest of 'apprentice' spells become more powerful as the caster becomes more attuned with their magical abilities. Also…"

To the mental pain of most of the class, Miss Oghma rambled on for what felt like hours. Her explanation of equations used to calculate a Unicorn's magical power as they progressed through their practical training nearly put some of the students in a coma-like state. However, Luna was wide awake, her attention unfaltering as her eyes scanned whatever she saw on the board and her ears absorbing every last word of information her teacher spoke. Celestia, on the other hand, was far more preoccupied with worrying about if she should file book with "The" at the beginning of their titles under "T" or under the first letter of the next word. Such was the problems of an over-obsessive compulsive Alicorn.

The hour and a half passed slowly for those not already using their text books as makeshift pillows at this point. Eventually, the bell rang aloud through the classrooms and corridors as the clock struck ten-thirty.

"Now, class," Miss Oghma called upon the overjoyed fillies and colts as they bolted from their desks, "may I remind you that you have two written tests and a practical exam tomorrow morning, so study and practice whenever you can." A collective "Awwwww!" reverberated through the classroom from the students, all except Celestia and Luna who were looking forward to it. As the students made their way out the classroom on their way to their next lesson, Miss Oghma called out, "Luna. Celestia. May I have a word?"

"Uh-oh," muttered Luna to her sister. "We're gonna get in trouble for talking again…"

"You think we'll get detention again?" asked Celestia, worry settling upon her expression and mind. Luna did not answer, though, and the two turned towards Miss Oghma, proceeding to her desk with their heads down. "We're sorry for talking in class again, Miss Oghma," Celestia spoke in apologetic tones.

"Hm? Oh, no," she replied to her student in ignorance, "don't worry about that. Actually, I have something to give the pair of you."

"Do we get extra points for good work?" asked Luna in excitement.

"Or a gold star for good behaviour?" followed Celestia in turn.

"Gracious, no," Miss Oghma replied in opposition to their notions. "If anything, I would strip you both of yesterday's gold stars -- and the day before -- for talking during my classes." Her humour was satirical though it caused the sisters' ears and expressions to droop almost to the ground. "I have this to give to you both," she continued, pulling out a letter from the pocket of her gown and handing it to Celestia. "Her Majesty sent this to me this morning to give to the two of you. Being her student, Celestia, I assumed it was of utmost importance."

The two of them opened the letter, each holding a side of the parchment as they read,

Dear Celestia and Luna,

I have urgent matters that must be attended to. However, due to my position, I am always needed here in Canterlot. I wish to entrust you both and a hoofful of other fellow ponies to embark on a journey in my stead. Please see me at the court at 12pm.

~Princess Gaea

The two Alicorns looked at each other before looking back at their teacher. Celestia spoke, "But what about --"

"I have made the necessary arrangements with the headmaster. The both of you have the rest of the day off as a matter of "urgency" on your part. Now, are you both going to get going, or do you not want yesterday's gold stars anymore?"

"Y-yes, Miss," the two of them cried out. "Thank you, Miss." Quickly, they ran out of the classroom, heading towards the exit of the college.

"Ah. Youth. I remember such days… though I try to forget about the exploding lavatory fiasco…"


The college study hall was not as packed as one would expect from such an establishment of high regard. The hall spanned several meters in all directions, including its height. Bookshelves lined the edges and intersections of the hall several feet high and wide as though it were a labyrinth of literature of fiction and education. Small round tables sat scattered in blocks of eight within open spaces in corners of the large expanse. Long, oak wood staircases lay on the far sides of the room, leading to a higher level which was used specifically as a seated study area. Only a dozen or so ponies had made this place their designation for studies outside of the classroom, each one of them with their heads constantly buried in their books and parchments.

One grey Unicorn with curled white hair sat at one of the desks on the next floor. His cloak lay tucked behind him against the back of the chair as the sides flowed over the edges of his seat. His hat sat back slightly while his head leaned forwards, scanning the contents of a text book while turning the pages occasionally with the magic of his horn. Upon the pages were descriptions and notes on various magical items and ingredients used primarily in medicine and potions.

"Hey! Hey, Star Swirl!" a voice of a colt called up the stairway as they noticed the Unicorn's signature wizard hat. The pony made his way up the stairs before confronting the studying Unicorn. "I've been looking for you everywhere."

Star Swirl spoke without giving his visible attention to his pursuer, "Thou knowest that only the sound of silence may ring within this hall, yes?" His voice carried the sound of discontent as the pony's obnoxious yelling not only disrupted his own studies, but also the studies of every other pony in the hall. "It is good to see you again, Black Ice. Thou hast a fair weekend?"

Black Ice merely scoffed at the comment with a smirk on his face. "If by "fair" you mean "painful"," he replied sarcastically, "and by "weekend" you mean "two days of torture", then sure. Practicing frost spells with father is never a fun time, that's for sure. You've no idea how hard he pushes you, you know? Like he's never heard of taking things easy." He stood to the side of the desk, peering down at the pages Star Swirl was reading. "Potions studies? I thought you were doing well in your classes?"

"Thou jest, surely," Star Swirl replied as he turned the page. "Always room for improvement, my friend. My last grade was not to par, nor to my liking."

"You got an A in your last theory and practical tests."

"But an A-plus it is not."

"You think a little plus next to your grade will make all the difference?"

"A pony can walk a foot for silver and live like a farmer, or he can walk a mile for gold and live like a king. The greater the effort, the greater the rewards to come."

"Hah. Never a dull moment for you, is there, Star Swirl?"

Star Swirl chuckled at the remark but nonetheless maintained vigilance in his reasons and to his research. "This isn't the only reason, mind you," he replied after reading a short notation on a flight potion. "My father wished for me to research a few potions to heart, saying that it will help with a task of mine. By default, I assumed he to be referring to our semester exams not a few weeks from now."

Black Ice was astounded by his friend's remark. "Your father? Chancellor Grey Mane? Court wizard to the Princess?"

"Ah, thy mind is as big as thy mouth," Star Swirl joked over a sly grin. "The one and the same, naturally, unless one could conceive a son betwixt two males to which only then could I possibly be referring to another father. Regardless, he had tasked me with this, and it shall be done. Still, one may think that this extra work may lead a pony through the last stretch to his path to kingship."

"If you say so." Black Ice shook his head a little with a smirk, turning away to head back down the staircase. "Bah, I almost forgot -- the chess club has moved from twelve to three. Apparently, the new chairman has other commitments with the student council at lunchtime."

"Very well, then. I'll have to reschedule the next few days to reflect upon this new information. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, Black Ice. Thou art off to see that Spell Weave girl?"

"Of course. I think after a few more lunchtimes with her and another story or two, we'll be able to hit it off."

"Oh yes. What lady can't hope to be infatuated by talk of how thou madest checkmate with two rooks -- one on H-seven and one on A-eight -- while the king remained in his starting position. A true romance story."

"I'll have you know that she enjoys chess as much as the two of us. In fact, she even mentioned joining the chess club this afternoon."

"Then apologies. I did not know thy future wife was one of such good tastes."

"Accepted with reluctance, Star Swirl. See you next class."

"Farewell, Black Ice."

The time passed slow for the Unicorn. He turned to read the face of a large grandfather clock that stood against the wall between two large windows -- ten-forty the hands made out. For ten minutes he was talking with his friend, though it felt longer to him. Regardless, he understood that he had plenty of time to study before his next class started.

The pages of the book turned one after the other. Star Swirl only skimmed the large titles of each potion as his eyes scanned each page from top to bottom, trying to find the few potions that he had been told to research. Aside from the flight potion, he was tasked with learning the potion of speed, potion of invisibility, and the potion of rid ailment. In his mind, however, he was perplexed as to why his father would ask him to research potions which were two years ahead of his current level, though he believed that showing this kind of aptitude would help him achieve greater results in his exams.

The time to research would not be enough during his small break, though. As the clock struck quarter-to-eleven, Star Swirl packed the book with the rest of his belongings before making his way back down to ground level and leaving the study hall. He had to make haste, however, so not to be late to the class that was several blocks down from where he was. In his haste, he had ended up outside the room a few minutes before class started, bumping into his teacher just outside the door.

"Good morning, Mr. Opus," Star Swirl greeted the elderly pony. The pony, Magnum Opus, stood tall in front of his student, dressed in a long, grey shirt, a beige waistcoat and a wide cravat of the same colour. His coat was a deep maroon colour, contrasted by his dark ebon mane and brown eyes. "I trust we'll be continuing our education on how to differentiate between silkweed and shimmerweed?"

"Not quite, Star Swirl," Opus responded before taking a letter from the pocket of his coat and handing it to the bewildered Unicorn. "This letter arrived in my office some time ago by one of the royal court's carrier pigeons -- addressed to you."

"This letter has been opened, Sir."

"Yes, I thought I'd take a look at it so I can make any necessary arrangements."

"… But thou knowest that it is unlawful for anyone to read personal letters without consent, Sir?"

"My boy, if this was a personal letter then it would have been delivered to you personally and not to my desk. In any case, your father wishes to meet you at the court at twelve sharp. Naturally, this means you have the next lesson -- and the rest of the day -- off. Nonetheless, I entrust that you will take this time to keep up your studies."

"Of course, Mr. Opus. Thank you for delivering this to me."

"Not at all, Star Swirl. Now, be off with you."


The steam poured from the smokestack, the valves turned and the coupling rods on the wheels drove the wheels along the track. The only train in the entirety of this world -- the "Pony Express" -- chugged along a single set of tracks from the Crystal Empire to Canterlot. It was the only quick means of transportation between the two colonies, constructed between the combined resources of Lord Gold Faust of Canterlot and Princess Diamante of the Crystal Empire.

"What could Canterlot possibly want with me?" a single Unicorn muttered to himself. Garbed in dark steel armor and a red cape with white fur lining, the pony radiated a presence of importance, high stature, and of great royalty. A foreleg rested on the windowsill, supporting the rest of his hunched body as he stared out the window, viewing only the passing of snowfall and white landscape. "Bad enough that I have to go there just to learn magic, and now I have to attend some sort of royal meeting. Preposterous!"

"Is everything not to your liking, young Master?" a voice of concern called out from down the passage of the carriage. An elderly pony that shined a bright glow as the daylight passed through the windows and upon his crystalline body made his way down the passage. He wore a black dress suit, a top hat upon his swept, white hair and a monocle that framed one of his glistening, emerald eyes. He approached the disgruntled Unicorn. "I can make cuisine arrangements if it would please you?"

"I've told you before, Facet," the Unicorn snapped, "don't call me "Master" -- just refer to me by my name." He sighed as his head turned to face the gentleman. "And no amount of crystal corn or amethyst apples can soothe my dislike for this trip. It's bad enough that I have to spend most of my time outside of my home just to go to this 'Scholar's College', but now I am called upon by Canterlot's royalty? What manner of business of such importance and subtlety that it would call for the young hair of Crystal royalty and not its Princess?"

"Forgive me, Master Shade, but I was not to discuss the matter until after we had left the Empire -- security reasons and such. I was informed by your mother, Princess Diamante, that Princess Gaea had asked for you specifically because she has requested your talents."

"You mean the Princess of Canterlot has requested my services because of my interested in -- Wait a moment. How does she know about this?"

"… Forgive me, Master Shade, but it was I who told the Princess of your affinity for such magic -- but I assure you that no one else knows of this and that the Princess has sworn to secrecy of such matters!"

"Argh!" Shade cried out in frustration, slamming his hoof on the windowsill. "A curse upon you, Facet! It is because of you that I have to make this trip to Canterlot!"

"Master Shade, I implore you to think things differently. The Princess has requested you on urgent matters that requires your 'skills'. Mayhap, this is a situation in which you can put your powers to the test -- to practice them, as it were. 'Tis what you have wanted for some time, is it not?"

Shade paused for a moment, thinking, contemplating on his butler's words. "Hm. Perhaps you are right, Facet. Perhaps I can get to put these teachings to good use, or at least some practical use. You've done well to bring this to my attention."

"Very good, Master Shade. But, I sense that all is still not fine with you. What troubles you?"

"You mean aside from you keeping such information away from me, yet handing out my own personal traits like they were penny sweets?" huffed Shade, a harsh and irate tone in his voice. "I am annoyed that it would be another state that would call upon me for aid and not my own people. The fact that I spend more time in Canterlot than I do in the Crystal Empire frustrates me to the point where I'd might as well give up my birthright and just stay in Canterlot for all time. How am I supposed to lead an empire when I know next to nothing about it, about its politics or its people, or even such things as its festivities? I could quote you the last fifty years of Canterlot's history and yet I could not even so much as piece together what happened last week at the Crystal Empire."

"I understand your feelings, Master Shade," replied Facet. "I remember once upon my days as a young colt that I wanted to be more than a servant, to be more than what my father had been before me -- he served your mother before me, you know. But, in my stubbornness, I kept trying new things: baseball, swimming, painting. Eventually, when you were born, I wanted to look after you, to help guide you. As my father retired, I took over his position. I have served you and your family ever since."

"What are you trying to say, facet?"

"Master Shade, I am saying that we should follow the advice of our parents because they know what is best for us in the long run. In the same way I had tried to diverse from my path, so too do you. But, in the years to come, you will understand why you have been taught the things you have been taught."

"And do you know why I have been taught these things?"

"Certainly. Your mother wishes for you to have good relations with Canterlot before you are to assume her position as ruler, to learn the importance of diplomacy and alliances. "The closer the bonds, the tighter the hold", as they say."

"I think I understand. You say that the more I learn about Canterlot, the better the relationship I will have with them?"

"Precisely." Facet turned to look at the clock hanging above the doorway to the next carriage, reading five-to-eleven. "The train should be docking at Canterlot any minute now."

Minutes elapsed before the train began to slow its acceleration, getting ready to dock into Canterlot's train station. The pistons began to slow along with the coupling rods driving the wheels, slowing the train to a stop. The carriage door slid open with a sheet of steam pouring from the edges of the frame, providing an almost dramatic entrance for Shade and Facet as they stepped out onto the platform. Greeting them was a small lance of four guards in golden armor.

"Greetings, Prince Onyx," one of the guards spoke aloud, bowing his head in respect. "We have been tasked by Princess Gaea to escort you to the royal court. If you would follow us…" Turning around, the guard led his men and his escorts from the station.

"You owe me crystal corn and amethyst apples for this, Facet."

"Of course, Master Shade."


A large gathering of ponies clad in pure, bright gold armor sat upon the tables that were lined in rows across the dining hall of the barracks, eating and munching away at their hard-earned fruit and vegetables. The odd conversation of their duty or their next assignment cropped up between small groups of them and between pairs as they enjoyed their early lunch break. Others still awaited impatiently in line near the serving counter, some grumbling in passive complaint while some were more open with their words, demanding that the cooks would hurry up.

Upon one of the far back tables sat a small trio of Pegasi, each one of them donned in their usual gold armor but with an aquamarine, star-shaped gem socketed into the middle of the chest plate. One was a colt with a wild, swept back, white mane and a purple coat. The second was a young mare, probably younger than most of the other royal guards, with a curtain-like mane of two-toned ice blue and snow white with a sky blue coat. The last was another male pony with a white-gold coat and a long, flowing, pale golden mane with three bangs that hung over his face.

"So what have you been up to this week, Cloudbreaker?" one of the three asked the mare guard. "Nothing to strenuous, I hope." He took a bite of an apple as he waited for her response.

"Bah. The usual," responded Cloudbreaker in impatience and disappointment. "Just working with the new recruits day in and day out -- training, drills, regimes, and the rest." Her mouth ravenously chomped down on a cucumber and tomato sandwich on her tray. "And what about you, Hail Storm?" she inquired back with her mouth full. "I bet you didn't have to put up with whiny newbies crying about how their legs hurt after only two hours of jogging."

The Pegasus chuckled. "Hah. "Only". A real slave driver, you are," he joked, shaking his head. "Nah. I had to make preparations for one of the Princess' negotiations with the Griffon Kingdom -- letters of invitations, preparing the Peace Summit, drawing up a draft of the peace treaty, that kind of stuff. A real desk jockey's work." His eyes shifted up at the gold-maned Pegasus, who was casually nibbling away at the edges of a small apple pie. "Speaking of which, Light's Beacon, how did the peace treaty go? You're part of the Envoy brigade, after all."

"Oh, well, you know," he said with strain on his words as he looked up to his two friends before shifting his gaze away abruptly, "it could have gone better."

"How much so?" Hail Storm asked.

"Well, let's not beat about the bush -- a lot better."

"Beacon, that's still beating about the bush," interjected Cloudbreaker. "How bad did it go?"

"Well, you know that time when the Dragon Lands ravaged the mountain pass for forty days during the Great Drought?"

"Yeah?" the two replied in unison.

"That," Beacon spurted bluntly before finishing eating away at the crust of his apple pie.

Hail Storm sighed heavily. "That bad, huh," He replied with a sombre voice. "What happened?"

"Well, besides all of Tartaros breaking loose," said Beacon, eating away at the now loose top of the pie, "it was fine. It was okay at the start. We were able to establish Cloudsdale as a mutual alliance as far as cementing one between Canterlot and the Griffon Kingdom was concerned. However, they demanded that we would relinquish parts of the Dragon Lands to them -- parts that we had recently maintained truce on with the dragons months ago. We maintained that we cannot relinquish those lands without prior agreement with the dragons. An uproar broke out between the parties and, eventually, the griffons took their leave."

"So where does that leave you?"

"It leaves me on the receiving end of a possible verbal flank-kicking. A possibility is that we hold another summit including the dragons so that we may all come to an agreement, but that will only lead to the dragons demanding something in return, then the griffons demanding more, until it becomes an infinite cycle of greed. Another is that we give the griffons the land they want without consulting the dragons, but that will just lead to another war. Finally, we can give up on the truce altogether and hope that we don't end up warring with the griffons -- and if we do, then there's the big possibility that Cloudsdale will align with them and not us. I doubt that I need remind you that the Pegasi have been long friends and longer allies with the Griffon Kingdom than they have been with Canterlot."

"So we've all had a lousy week," Cloudbreaker grumbled before drinking some of her cranberry juice through a straw.

Beacon sighed. "Pretty much. If our brigade can't come up with a solution by tomorrow's evensong then we could very well be going to war. It's been wracking my mind all week, and we haven't even received word of the dragons partaking in the peace treaty yet."

"Come on, Beacon," assured Hail Storm. "You're the son of royalty! You're going to be the next in line to the throne of Canterlot! You know you've got what it takes to see this through. Take a day off or something, clear your head, and you'll come up with the answer."

"You think so, huh?"

"Of course," praised Cloudbreaker. "But, on a side note, you need to get out of the habit of eating pies like that. It's unnatural."

"What? I like to eat out the apple chunks first before the pastry."

"Well it makes me feel… awkward."

"I bet it does," Hail Storm replied, nudging her with his elbow, laughing.

Before the three could converse any longer, another guard approached, donned in gold armor with silver accents around the edges. "Light's Beacon," he called out in a powerful voice, "your father, Lord Faust, wishes to see you. Follow me, please."

"Ah, never a time for rest. So much for taking a day off." Beacon stood to his feet as he finished off the last of the pie, pushing the seat backwards as he stood. "I'm going to have to love you and leave you, Hail Storm, Cloudbreaker. Maybe I'll see the both of you back at the barracks."

The guard led Beacon through the reinforced stone corridors of the complex, leading him from the ground floor through several staircases of both straight and spiraling structure. The two arrived at a large set of red wooden doors with plates of ebon steel stripped across their fascia horizontally with a set of large, round, hanging handles bolted on the plates. The guard knocked upon one of them with his gold-cupped hoof before opening the doors.

"Your Highness," the guard called, bowing steeply with the utmost of respect, "I have brought you Prince Beacon."

"Very good," Lord Faust replied as he stood over a large table with two other guards on either side, looking down at a large map. "You may go about your business now." The lone guard nodded before retiring from the room, closing the door behind him. "Ah, my son," greeted Lord Faust with a smile on his face, "I trust you are still not upset at what happened at the Peace Summit?"

"How can I not, father," replied Beacon adamantly, "when we sit on the very brink of the edge of war, knowing that the Pegasi -- our own kind -- could very well rally to the side of the griffons? It's been on my mind all week."

"Rest easy then, my son. Some hours ago, we received a message from the Dragon Lands that they have accepted our request to include them at tomorrow's peace treaty."

"But do you honestly think that they will agree to giving up their land to the griffons?"

"Of course not. But neither do I expect the griffons to keep up their demanding charade should a dragon be present." Lord Faust placed a single hoof on the map, pointing to a large continent that had a small section separated from the rest of the land by a curved line. "Decades ago, during the founding of Canterlot, I and a brigade of royal guards close to me ventured to these Dragon Lands to secure an alliance with them, unbeknownst to us that they already had their own civil war between the two sides on this map -- the smaller side, led by Furion the Ravage, fought against its larger mainland led by Kossak. Despite their smaller numbers, Furion's forces almost utterly destroyed their enemies before we arrived. We fought alongside Kossak and drove Furion out of the region. In return for our aid, we were given the dragon's allegiance as well as the lands that Furion once dwelled upon."

"But what is so special about those lands that the griffons would want it?" asked Beacon.

Lord Faust sighed heavily, removing his hoof from the map. "Nothing. The lands are good for growing chilli peppers and that's about it. The land was given to us as a symbol of loyalty, trust, and kinship. The Griffon Kingdom only want that land as a way to strain the alliance between us and the dragons. Their bravado at possibly taking our lands is a false one, conducted solely because there was no dragon present -- a test to see if we would give way. Now with Imperator Kossak attending the summit, we'll see the true colours of the griffons."

"Then we should --"

"You won't be attending tomorrow's peace treaty, Light's Beacon," Lord Faust interrupted. "Your mother has other plans for you. She said you are to meet her at the court at noon. Don't keep her waiting, son -- she has a penchant for showing her frustration at lack of punctuality."

Beacon gave a light chuckle. "Or just for you when you come home late, father. Very well. I'll see her immediately." With a strong stance and a salute, Beacon gave his farewell to his father before receding from the room.


"Stop! Thief!" a loud yell came from a pony, bursting through a set of saloon doors to his shop. "Somepony catch that colt!"

The eyes of the town flashed to a young colt who bolted down the path like a lightning strike, kicking up clouds of dust and smoke with grains of dirt to lose any pursuers he had on his tail. The pony showed no sign of fatigue or a slowing of pace -- he only galloped through the streets, turning through winding alleyways and through the back roads as a means to get away from anyone chasing him. After running for a few minutes, the pony stopped next to a set of unused dumpsters, pressing his back against the flat side of it while peering around the corner to see if anyone was following him. To his relief, not a single pony had.

"Haha. Another score to Pockets," he muttered to himself, smirking at his own achievement. Squatting down, he took out from one of the many pockets on his forest-green vest a small gold pendant with a sapphire sat in the oval-shaped socket, the sun glistening off of its perfection. "This should give a pretty bit on the open market." Slipping the pendant back into his vest, Pick Pocket got back up and made his way to the next street, eager to continue his spree of petty thievery.

Buckingham Lane was the perfect spot to do a bit of common dishonest-to-goodness larceny for the young colt. The entire street was packed with expansive shops, expensive clothes, and an incredible choice of high quality tailors, jewelers and delicacies -- a shopping hub designed to attract only the most rich and wealthy of ponies who would frequent here, or in Pick Pocket's case, a treasure trove.

Quickly, Pick Pocket slinked into the crowd from one of the alleyways with such grace and inconspicuousness that even the ponies behind him did not even notice him as he blended seamlessly into the rest of the folk. His gait was as casual as his expression, mimicking the posture and style of those around him. Turning onto the next corner, Pockets made his way onto a row of stalls marketing marvelous, shining jewelry and clothing of soft, shimmering silks. It was a great place to start his heist. His eyes scanned for his first victim and met with her in just over a second of searching -- a bright blue mare in a large, ruby dress.

'Bingo,' Pockets thought to himself. Casually, he made his way towards her and, as he got close enough, feigned bumping into her on accident, causing her to stumble forwards while he stumbled over her. "Oh my word, I'm terribly sorry, Ma'am," apologized Pockets with an awkward smile, helping her upright and brushing off her collar with his hooves. "Oh, what must you think of me?"

"Oh, it's quite alright, dear," the mare replied with a smile. "No harm done"

"Ah, yes. Again, sorry." As Pockets walked away from the mare, he grinned slyly, holding up a small bolo tie of silver and gold accents -- something that she had failed to notice him take while he was brushing her collar, even managing to unfasten one of the strings from the metalwork to slide it from her neck instead of over her head. "Some ponies are just too stupid to deserve these."

Another pony caught Pocket's eyes: a stallion of a tan coat and large, bushy moustache, dressed in a black tuxedo with a rose pinned to the outside of his lapel. More so than his clothing was an item of his adorned on his right foreleg just under the sleeves of his jacket: a thick silver bracelet with emerald inset around the entire circumference.

With a grin, Pockets began to contemplate his little act. It didn't take too long. "It's you!" he cried out, flinging his hoof towards and pointing at the confused stallion as he turned his attention to him. Quickly, Pockets galloped to the now somewhat scared and shocked gentleman, grasping his right hoof and shaking it violently with both of his. "Oh, it's always been my dream to meet you one day! I'm a huge, HUGE fan of your works!"

"M-m-my word," the smartly-dressed stallion responded, using his left hoof to keep his top hat from falling off his head, "what is the meaning of this? Exactly who are you, lad?"

"My name's Locksmith, and I'm a huge fan of your paintings, Sir! I love how you're able to match the simple colours of oil to canvas to bring out new life! It's awesome, inspiring, truly magnificent! I've been a big fan of yours for years!"

"W-what nonsense are you gibbering about, boy? I'm not a painter -- I'm a pianist!"

"… Huh? You mean you're not Palette VanClop?"

"No! I'm Ivory Key!"

"O-oh! M-my apologize, Sir," Pockets bowed in apology. "I really thought you were VanClop! Forgive my rudeness."

"Hmph! What nonsense! Be off with you!"

"Y-yes, sir. So sorry…" Pockets backed around the stallion with an expression of shame draped over his face. As he got some distance from him, he proceeded back down the street with a smirk on his face, holding up the bracelet that Ivory Keys was wearing, having taken it when he was shaking his hoof. "Easy pickings."

With all of his easily acquired jewelry tucked into his vest securely, Pockets carried down the pathway in hopes of finding his third and last victim, but his eyes only caught sight of two guards heading towards him. Pockets tried to remain calm and collected, trying to blend himself back into the crowds around him, but it was too late -- the guards had already noticed him, specifically looking for him.

"Halt, citizen," a guard called out as the duo approached Pockets. "We are under orders to bring you to Her Majesty. Come with us immediately."

"Y-you've got the wrong guy, guys," stuttered Pockets, trying to keep his cool. "I'm just here looking for… uh, paintings! Yeah, that's it! Paintings!" He waved a hoof in front of them. "This is not the pony you are looking for."

"This is definitely the pony we're looking for, Sir," the second guard confirmed. "A brown pony with a white mane and in a green vest -- this guy certainly matches the description."

"Sir, we have been tasked by Her Majesty, Princess Gaea, to bring you to the royal court. Don't make this any harder on yourself."

"H-H-Her Majesty!?" exclaimed Pockets, feeling numb as the blood began rushing to his head. "B-but I -- I mean -- Please don't take me there!" He dropped to his knees, wrapping his forelegs around the guard's. "I don't wanna be taken there! I'll stop being criminal scum! I'll pay the court fees! Just don't take me there!" The guards looked at each other with confusion before shrugging, grabbing a foreleg of Pockets each and dragging him down the street as he yelled and kicked. "No! Don't take me! She'll gobble me up for tea! Wait -- does she do that?"

"Uh… no, she doesn’t."

"Oh. Y'know, it'd be awesome if she did."