• ...
9
 155
 11,995

PreviousChapters Next
Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Captain Vance would eventually retire from the Marine Corps with full honors, all just a few weeks short of a well-publicized promotion which would have seen him earn his first star as a General. When asked why, he would simply reply that it was to focus on his new full-time job as a grandfather.

Uris and Samantha would go on to marry after a few years, settling down in a little house in the New York suburbs, despite his insistence to remain on active duty and his ongoing rehabilitation. He never did lose his limp, though he claimed it was his own “physical medal of honor.” They would have two beautiful children in that house, named Michael Ramirez Uris and Lucy Bannon Uris on their father’s urging. Despite some arguments that crop up every now and again (mostly from Samantha calling him a bloodthirsty barbarian for enjoying a cheeseburger and his reply to call her a filthy treehugger), the family remains quite happy together. The kids are growing up now: Michael will be joining the Marines once he graduates high school, whereas Lucy is on the path to becoming a diagnostician. It’s also worth noting that he and Fluttershy still write one another at least once a month, though when anypony asks the little pegasus why she’d maintain such a distant relationship for so long, she’ll only get a strange look in her eye and remark that it just “feels right.”

Webb, along with every other man who fought in Equestria, would be highly decorated for his actions in the Battle for Coltton, though they would all be sworn to secrecy about it. He would go on to serve with distinction across several other worlds in several more battles with the International Multiverse Expedition Brigade formed under the UN, dedicated to aiding Swarm in containing Mars’s influence across reality. He would retire with distinction in his fifties. He owns a small woodshop in the Michigan wilderness now, living a well-earned, peaceful life.

Lieutenant Miller would be honorably discharged from the Marines after his rehabilitation, and would go on to start a highly successful Italian bistro in Queens. Their slogan: “Why settle for fast, when you can really be treated like family?” Later on, Miller would claim this was really just a watered-down version of his original slogan: “The Olive Garden sucks dick.” He and the remaining veterans of the American Equestrian Expeditionary Corps still gather every year to swap stories, get up-to-date news on one another’s lives, and remember the time when they fought an impossible adversary in a land of magical cartoon ponies. To this day, he still hasn’t take Vance up on his offer to stitch his mouth shut, although he admits to being tempted on more than one occasion.

Back in Equestria, Shining Armor’s scars would reemerge after several months, much to the mystification of doctors everywhere. Though speculation flew that Princess Cadence would eventually leave for “someone better-looking than ol’ scarface” (as some ponies so eloquently put it), her love for him only seemed to grow stronger with the spread of the scarring. In fact, it would be noted that she would barely be able to keep her hooves off him in public from that point forward, thus triggering a short-lived trend of stallions purposefully hurting themselves in hopes of earning the attentions of a scar-loving princess. Most of these efforts would prove unsuccessful, with the notable exception of Prince Blueblood, who would meet his future wife, Nurse Redheart, after nearly burning his hoof off with acid.

After some clarifications (and a few broken teeth), Discord and Celestia would engage in a torrid, highly secretive affair before convincing the world of his “sudden” conversion to good with the help of the Element Bearers. Even then, it was a while before the Princess convinced him to let her go public with their relationship, but after a few years of doing good, the spirit of disharmony found himself surprised by the ponies’ forgiving nature, although a part of this may have had something to do with Princess Luna announcing her relationship with Queen Chrysalis a few days earlier (a tale for another time, for sure). After that, the only odd thing anypony would notice about the pair would be the way they would share a knowing look and a strangely passionate kiss whenever someone noticed something odd about his statue, left in Canterlot gardens to commemorate the spot where he spent a thousand years falling for the Princess; that being the little inscription behind its base, placed there a few days after the forgotten battle and reading: “In Loving Memory.”

The citizens of Equestria would go on to live their lives completely in ignorance of the destruction they had all been saved from, though echoes of the great forgotten battle and the men and women who stood between them and annihilation would continue through their collective psyche for years. The most notable of these would culminate in a line from Miss Rarity’s boutique (by then a well-established name in the world of fashion) styled after U.S military uniforms and resulting in a hit trend of pony nobility journeying far and wide to dress like Marine Corps grunts. However, by far the most heartfelt of these echoes would bombard the mind of a small-time sculptor in Canterlot by the name of Marbel Chisel, who would carve a modern art sculpture of a strange, bipedal, furless creature with an odd black helmet, baggy camouflage clothing, and a little blocky-looking thing in its hand. Celestia herself would request the statue be put on permanent display in the gardens, despite harsh critiques from most lauding the piece as nothing more than a “hodge-podge pile of junk from a jumbled mind”. Its name, carved into the base and hermetically sealed to ensure that neither weather nor time nor act of pony could ever erase it:


“Hero.”

Author's Note:

About a year and a half ago, a funny little phrase occurred to me as I sat at my desk, puzzling through some program problem or another: "Seal Team Six and Ponies." After giggling just long enough to unsettle my fellow cube mates, but not long enough for them to call a padded van in on my ass, another image occurred to me, this one of a certain unicorn featured in this story, being rescued by a team of men from some evil dudes in grey uniforms and bulky helmets, the team proceeding in cool, professional silence. From those two inane little thoughts, this story grew.

I feel I have truly grown as a writer during these past 18 months. Not only have I proven that I can undertake a project of this magnitude and see it through to the end, I believe I now have a firmer grip of imagery, characterization, and all the elements of good writing. I have found a niche which I plan to fill, and I hope a few of you come with me. I have a few things planned in the future (like a Dislestia fic slated to pick up where this story let's off) and I hope to see a few of you there!

But these notes pale in comparison to the gratitude I feel towards you, the reader. When I started this insane journey with nothing but a can-do attitude and a vague idea of what I wanted to happen, you hopped in next to me, and though I may not express it enough, my thankfulness for your being here, whether you stuck in from the very beginning nearly a year and a half ago or just clicked on this story a few minutes ago and read this final chapter just to see how it all ends because you're impatient like me (in which case, thanks, but shame on you), I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart:

Thank you.

Words cannot begin to do my gratitude justice, so just thank you. Thank you so much. If I could embrace each and every one of you and whisper that into your ear, I would, to simply say these words in some impersonal footnote seems so empty compared to what I want to do, but it's all I have. So thank you.

And on that note, check my page and journal for anything I'm working on in the future, take a bit of advice: find something you love to fill your life, be it wriiting, art, or whatever, just find it and never let it go, and that's it.

Catch ya on the flipside.

The End.

PreviousChapters Next