• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 795 Views, 14 Comments

An Untitled Piece. - Lyca



An alternate take on the love of two musical prodigies.

  • ...
3
 14
 795

1; New Kid in School Part 3

As her watch beeped 7:00, Vinyl hit the auto-parking and slid off her bike, leaving it to skid into an empty space. She tossed her helmet onto the seat and though slightly disgruntled when the 200 bit head-protector rolled off the other side and hit the pavement, she beamed up at the tower of a man before her. "I love that thing!" She stated rather loudly as she bumped fists with her employee, Henry.

The large man simply stood there, shocked. Not because of the bike that nearly ran him over, but by the fact that his boss had actually bothered to show up on time for once. The blue haired girl merely chuckled, her rough voice carrying across the parking lot.

"Uh," Henry stumbled, regaining his composure as he swiped a hand through his spiky brown hair. "Morning, Ms. um...Staccato..."

Vinyl nearly toppled over as she burst out laughing. "So formal! I guess I really did catch you by surprize there!" She punched the guy in the chest playfully before straightening up.

"Awright, so I'll go get the freight door open, and I want you to bring it around the back." She walked off, leaving the man to his part of the job.

Taking a left through the main doors of the school, Vinyl walked down the long hallway towards the gym. She marvelled at how her footsteps echoed around the deserted school, never having been here so early. She found herself bobbing her head to the steady rythm.

Quietly opening the large double doors, the young woman slipped into the gym, letting her footsteps fall silent as she walked up behind the blonde woman entering her office.

Once positioned in her blind spot, the troublemaker inhaled a deep breathe. She let her diaphram amplify her voice as she exhaled, yelling, "Yo, What's up Tracy?!"

The short gym teacher jumped about three feet in the air, letting out a loud squeak. She then angrily turned towards the 'blue haired devil' as she often reffered to Vinyl, and glowered up at her.

Despite being nearly three inches shorter than the teen, Tracy Fielding could make even the tallest people in the school feel tiny. Except Vinyl.

"Valarie Staccato, how many times do I have to tell you not to do that?" she almost yelled. Despite the use of her real name making her slightly peeved, Vinyl just grinned.

"I'm never gonna learn, Tracy." Turning to face the large freight doors in the wall, Vinyl lifted her hand towards it. "Open that, would ya?" She pointed to another one. "And that one too."

"Why should I?" asked Miss Fielding, crossing her arms infront of herself. She knew very well she would wind up having to, but she always seemed to enjoy Vinyl's excuses.

"There's this huge scary guy out there who's supposed to be bringing in the equipment for the dance," She stated, twirling her wrist in a nonchallant motion. "Says its the DJ's crap."

And so, after a few more pointless questions and a trademark Staccato glare, the doors were opened and Henry was able to bring in the speakers and turntables, and all the other shit Vinyl had in store. Tracy gawked slightly at the large man, and the teenager could have sworn she saw a blush on her cheeks.

Heh...I guess There won't be any arguments when the big lug comes to get my stuff after the dance...

Once everything was set up backstage (Which just so happened to be her first class of the day; drama), the teen contented herself with playing with her epic equipment. Henry had taken off with his pay, a full 563 bits, and Vinyl was alone with her geer, fiddling around until class.


As the school bell tolled a warning, Octavia made her way to the cafetorium in the center of the large school. The friendly woman at the office told her the drama room was in here, however, all she saw was a few students lounging around, texting or sleeping. Then she saw it.

Two girls were going through the door to backstage, and Octavia could make out the number 107 on the small plaque beside it. She should have known it would be there. Stepping up her pace, she waved a nervous goodbye to her sister as they parted ways, and entered the classroom.

The first thing she noticed was the large DJ station off to the side, taking up a good portion of space. It appeared that someone was behind it, or perhaps underneath it, messing around. The two girls were standing by the contraption, talking to whomever was beyond her sight.

They fell silent as their gaze fell upon her, and the taller of the two, a girl about Octavia's age with firey orange hair, kicked the hiden person gently. Just then, the teacher caught her attention, walking towards her with a kind smile.

"Ah, you must be our new student," she stated, looking at a checkboard. "Octavia, is it?" The teen nodded, her courage for the new day quickly depleting under the gaze of the other students.

The class went over well, with almost nothing bad happening. She didn't stutter when introducing herself, and she managed not to act a fool when answering various questions from classmates. Although, the girl that was playing with the equipment before class kept giving her odd, and rather curious looks from behind her sunglasses.

It was fairly unnerving for the young music prodigy, and everytime she stole a glance at the peculiar blue haired girl, she looked away, only to resume stealing glances as Octavia's focus was once again captured.

She never spoke up, other than to introduce herself as Vinyl Scratch. A rather odd name, and Octavia had the feeling it wasn't her real name at all, despite her initials being scrawled on practically everything she owned. She also had the disticnt feeling She knew the girl from somewhere else.


"Octavia Philharmonica?" Stephanie asked, dumbfounded. "As in, daughter of Sophia Philharmonica, the harpist for the Royal Symphony?"

"That's correct," Octavia commented to the firey haired girl as they made their way to their MSIP classroom. No one seemed to know what MSIP stood for, but it was always held by the first class of the day, be it a day 1, 2, 3, or 4. The drama class moved into an empty class on the second floor for this, as there were no actual desks backstage.

"It must be great to have such a famous parent," The smaller girl remarked, one of her golden eyes seeming to wander off into space. Her name was Dayna, if the girl remembered correctly.

"Yes, its...Its pretty great to have a mother as renowned as mine," Octavia mumbled, slightly saddened by the mention. "And then there is my father, Arthur. He's a brewer."

That seemed to get Stephanie's attention. She said people just called her Spitfire, but Octavia refused the friendly offer with the comment of; 'I rather enjoy the name Stephanie'. The tall seprah's head swiveled as they stopped just outside the classroom.

"Arthur Philharmonica..? Is he that brewer that moved just out of town?" When Octavia nodded, Spitfire continued. "I never new Sophia Philharmonica married a brewer, much less the brewer of the best beers, whiskeys, and basically everything else around!"

And it was then that the blue haired girl reappeared from Luna knows where, and finally introduced herself formally. Her voice was rough, as if she had been yelling for an hour without a water break, and despite the dim lighting in the hallways, she still wore the sunglasses.

"Hey, Tavi! In case you forgot, I'm the one, the only, Vinyl Scratch." She held out her fist to bump, but the young cellist was completely oblivious to such gestures, comming from a more civilized school.

"Please, Miss Scratch, I would ask you not to call me Tavi..." Octavia droned with a slightly annoyed look, causing Vinyl to falter for a moment. And then, she was slightly surprised to witness the removal of the short girl's glasses, if only for a second.

She saw a flash of red before Vinyl's eyes snapped closed and her blue hair shifted. The light, albeit quite soft, appeared to be paining her, as she wiped away a few smudges from her darkly tinted sunglasses. The teenager's face was contorted in a slight grimace, which quickly softened to the much more becoming goofy grin as she replaced them.

"Alright, message recieved loud and clear, my little Octopus!" Vinyl remarked, throwing an arm around the perturbed cellist. That goofy smile widened and Scratch's pale white face turned a slight shade darker.

Octavia shook off the feeling of familarity, mentally chiding herself. No, you'd remember someone so...unruly... She frowned down at the smaller girl and said in a firm voice, "Tavi is fine. Better than that at least..." She stepped sideways, dispelling herself from the grasp of whom she now noticed was wearing a backpack with her father's company logo. It seemed this girl was a fan of Aurthur Pint's Homestyle brews.