• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 795 Views, 14 Comments

An Untitled Piece. - Lyca



An alternate take on the love of two musical prodigies.

  • ...
3
 14
 795

1; New Kid in School Part 1

New Kid in School

Complete and utter bliss. That was the only way to describe how Vinyl felt at this particular moment. In her mind, there was absolutely nothing better than the feeling of creating an epic new hit. The sheer audacity of what she was known for (Or rather what DJ-PON3 was know for), sent a shiver of rebellion down her spine. Her parents would flip shit if anyone ever found out that their daughter was the woman known only by her official stage name.

Then again, so would she. Pfft! Yeah, like any of those idiots who like my music could ever put two and two together, and come up with a staccato!

In a spur of instinct, Vinyl flipped a switch, bringing the music to a slow waving of sound that almost seemed ready to fade away, before slamming a large cobalt blue button and shouting into the microphone just before the floor-shaking drop.

"NOW LET'S DROP THAT SHIT!" Just as she finished her sentence, the music started up again in full force, shaking the soundproof walls of her small recording room.

She dared not push their limits by turning the speakers up any more than they already were, for fear of defying the walls she had just gotten installed.

After some more wubs and wurrs, the blue haired menace wound the song down to a slow end, smiling at her early morning stroke of genius.

Wait...morning? Oh crap what time is it?! the DJ asked herself as she noticed the sun, already on its way into the sky. She quickly called for her watch with her magic, causing her hand to hit her in the face as she forgot she was wearing it.

Ow...I shouldn'ta done that,she chided herself before letting out a sigh as she found it was only 4:30 am. Still time for a shower before I have to meet up with the stagehands.

Vinyl Scratch saved her newest track on a glossy black record and carried it out of the room, practically cradling the large disc in her magic as she tiptoed through the hallway. She was not about to incur her mother's wrath for waking her up this early.

Nothing on the planet was more terrifying than when she inadvertently pissed off her parents. She chuckled to herself.

Staccato blood. The only thing we have in common...

With that, she turned into a hallway littered with everything from pictures to priceless family heirlooms. To her right was a sequence of family photos, the first being just her father. Next, a picture of her mother, followed by their wedding photo, one of her mother pregnant and smiling, Vinyl's father holding her hand.

Then the new baby; her older brother Stephen(Steel), three years of annual family portraits later was a picture of Stephen holding a blue haired infant in his lap while he sat between their parents. Vinyl looked at the plaque of this one.

Valarie's first photo~ It was indeed; taken just weeks after her birth. Ugh, why'd they have to call me that..?

The next few pictures showed the young Vinyl in little tiny dresses, her two-toned blue hair done up in fancy styles and bows, adding emphasis to her ruby red eyes. Nowadays the girl wouldn't be caught dead in such formal attire.

It was when she was eight that she had started to change, no longer wanting to be the prissy home-schooled musical prodigy her parents had been sculpting her into. Throwing a trademark Staccato tantrum, she got put into a school, albeit a private one.

By the sixteenth photo, Vinyl was wearing normal clothes for the children of that year, and as the photos progressed, so did her rebellious style.

The newest one, taken earlier in the year, depicted a carefree teenage girl wearing skintight ripped jeans, a white shirt covered in safety pins and other bits of metal, a chain belt with a double eighth note hanging from it, and a pair of high-top shoes, all completed by her spiked hairstyle.

Her parents we not happy with the smug looking girl in the photo, and the place where her brother used to occupy was empty, causing a small pain in Vinyl's chest.

Steel had recently moved to Las Pegasus to pursue his dream of becoming a famous rock star, and Vinyl had been devastated. He was the only one in the family who understood her, even when Vinyl told him what type of music she had wanted to make.

Mum and Dad always did support him, being that boys are supposed to dream of being rock stars she mused sadly. God I miss him...

She turned left at the end of the hall and took the second turn to the right, leading into hers. This hall was strewn with police tape and glowing neon signs. There was even a glow stick dispenser right before a room labelled For Parties Only.

She passed this by, casually pressing a button and receiving a glowbelt, which she cracked and strapped on. At the end of the hall she opened a door and stepped into her room, closing it tightly behind her.

"Another day, another rating," she chuckled as she looked at her status board which displayed that she, or rather DJ-PON3, had climbed another two spots on the ratings list, and now sat at number 13. She placed her record beside it in a brown envelope.

I'm saving this for Friday she mused.


Octavia sighed contentedly as she was awoken by the sweet sounds of her alarm clock playing her wake up call.

She let the music flow on for a few minutes before finally turning it off, a blissful smile on her face. The clock read 4:35 as the slender girl let the blanket fall back, getting out of her warm bed, seeming to beckon her to stay, but she knew better.

As Octavia finished rearranging her bed, so that one could quite literally bounce a quarter off it, her nerves crept up on her. Today she was going to her new school for the first time after transferring from Trottingham, one of the most prestigious private schools in the country.

Unfortunately, her family had moved to the outskirts of a small town (Which technically was a city) so that her father could be closer to his work. Octavia would have been happy, and on a level she was, but moving this far away meant her and her sister had to leave Trottingham, and instead attend Ponyville Highschool.

Sometimes she regretted her father's love for brewing, because it was that which possessed him to move to his main barley farm. He had built a house on the plot of land beside it, and filled in all the paperwork to conjoin the plots.

As soon as everything was ready he had ushered his wife and twin daughters into the large new house. It had been a mere week since then, and the girls were scheduled to attend their new school at 8:00 this very morning.

Fidelle, or as she was often called, Fiddlesticks, would be waking up in two hours, giving her sister time to shower and prepare breakfast for the family. I wish Mother were here to see us off she mused to herself and sighed.

Sophia Philharmonica, mother of two and wife of the huge Scotsman Arthur Philharmonica, was off in Canterlot with the Royal Symphony. She was one of the most esteemed harpists in the world, and was almost always away because of it.

Octavia, with her jet black hair and tall lean figure, was almost a mirror image to her beautiful mother, the only feature different being the distinct amethyst eyes that her father called his own. Fidelle had her mother's eyes, coupled with the blue hair of her father, but otherwise was her equal.

Despite not being of the same egg, the twins were practically identical. They were fraternal twins, but the resemblance made most people assume otherwise.

Twin...She sure a hell doesn't act like she's related to me Octavia thought as she pulled a brush through her now wet hair, having just stepped out of the shower.

She brushed her teeth and applied a minuscule amount of makeup which consisted of a little mascara and some concealer before pulling on her clothes.

Looking in the mirror, Octavia admired her appearance, sporting a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt with the school's colors of garnet and gold. It was not her usual attire, and she was glad gym was only one class.

She put her hair into a ponytail and packed a change of clothes for afterwards. With great care, Octavia placed her pink bow tie in a smaller pocket of her backpack and carried it out of her room.

The corridor was decorated here and there with photos, some of which being of the twins at various recitals or with awards. One stood out for the charcoal haired musician in particular. She was ten years old, and had just performed her first composition.

Everyone had applauded greatly as Octavia bowed and lowered her cello bow, and her mother had stepped up onto the stage and given her a warm hug of pride. Fidelle had even joined in as the whole family congratulated her, and the picture was taken by her father. her mother was standing to the left of the picture while Octavia and Fiddlesticks were hugging.

Oh how I miss the days when Mother could make it to performances...

She walked down the carpeted stairs and turned into the kitchen to prepare the morning meal. Her father's usual breakfast consisted of three eggs, four small sausages and some french toast, while her sister generally preferred pancakes in the morning. Octavia herself had a protein shake mixed with some iron supplement; doctor's order.

She quickly got to work, ignoring the box of pancake mix and instead opting to make them from scratch. About an hour later, Octavia was surprised to find her father had yet to make an appearance. It was nearly time for him to leave, and the large man was usually fairly early to rise.

Her worries were dispelled when the blue haired Scotsman grabbed her from behind, crushing her in one of his massive bear hugs.

He was quick to let go however, when he saw the girl quickly turning purple from oxygen lack. "Guid mornin', cub," her father said, patting Octavia's head affectionately.

"How's mah wee lassie? Urr ye excited fur yer foremaist day at th' freish schuil?" he asked in his thick Nordic dialect. Most people would have trouble understanding the slang he used, but the twins had grown up with the beast of a man, and on occasion Octavia actually slipped into it.

It was only understandable, considering how much time her mother spent working, that the teenager would have picked up the accent, and in truth Octavia fought to speak in the more professional Canterlot form that her mother used. But with her dad, she was fine with her slip ups, and hardly noticed anything wrong with her response of,

"A'm a bawherr nervous, Faither. Whit if thay dinnae lik' me? Ah wish ah wur aye in Trottingham."

The knowing purple eyes of Arthur Philharmonica carried a sense of compassion as he sat down at the table to eat his breakfast. "Ah ken ye miss yer auld schuil, bit yer mither thought it wid be best if ye moved wi' us, despite th' boarding option tae`. Dinna fash yirsel, sweetie. Ye'll mak' freish mukkers easily."

He got up with his empty plate and gave the troubled brow a kiss, smoothing out her worry lines.

"Ah have tae leave fur th' brewery. Mak' sure yer sister doesn't git herself in trauchle fur me?" the Scotsman said, turning around and heading out the door with wave. Octavia grunted in acknowledgement. Fiddlesticks did tend to wind up in trouble often.

Thinking of the devil... Octavia sighed to herself as the sound of something human sized practically being thrown down the stairs announced the arrival of her twin. A few seconds later, a disheveled and half-asleep Fidelle stumbled into the kitchen.

She sat down at the table and finally decided to open her eyes, instantly seeming to regret it as the sun hit her eyes.

"Mornin. What's for breakfast, Tavs?" she mumbled, burying her head in her arms like a pillow. Octavia rolled her eyes and smiled, flipping the last pancake as her sister sniffed the air and instantly perked up.

"Are those made from scratch?" she questioned excitedly, noticing the unopened bow of Aunt Jemima pancake mix, her blue eyes shining with delight.

At a nod from her sister, Fidelle jumped up and rushed Octavia, giving her a second bone-crushing hug. "You're the best sister ever! I can't believe you actually made me pancakes from scratch! Are they ready? I'm staved!" the teenager ranted, practically bouncing in place.