• Published 1st May 2013
  • 301 Views, 5 Comments

Twinkless Spot of Black - Toodle Flip



Our mission was simple, our technology... the best. But that didn't stop a change in fate when going out into the void of space. I used to think the sky was filled with stars and light. It's actually unedning darkness.

  • ...
 5
 301

Log Two

Log 2 Date Summer 56, Year 1045 of Celestia’s reign

The screen turns back on automatically, showing several ponies whose eyes are wide.

Fleetfoot speaks up, “So this is what teleporting is like? Why doesn’t every unicorn do this? This is amazing! This is better than flying! Is… is this what a rainboom is like?”

North Star replies, “Well, this is what a unicorn teleport is like. However, not many choose to teleport for this reason. Some actually become addicted to this sight of it… It’s the reason why not many are actually taught, and those few who figure it out either learn about the dangers… or simply vanish.”

Fleetfoot ignores the warning and continues staring out the window, “So… how longs’ this gonna take? I mean, it’s certainly pretty and all, but I wanna see some real action!

Airheart is looking apprehensively at the field around them, “North, what exactly am I looking at? It’s kind of freaking me out…”

North looks in surprise at Airheart, “Well, nopony really knows where this is. Some speculate another dimension. Some say it is absolute nothingness, but the fewest say it is infinity. I close my eyes when I teleport, so I don’t usually get the chance to look.”

The three continue staring, and a silence forms. The field continues to make a small tinkling sound, as if a row of small bells were being struck, but it was oddly deeper than what the sound of a unicorn’s magic would be. Fleetfoot breaks the silence with another question, “Do you think I could go out there and touch it? You know, ride the wave and all that?”

North scoffs and corrects Fleetfoot, “No, you can’t simply ‘ride the wave’ like some hooligan on the beach or like an air current. To come into contact with this side is well… unheard of. Ponies who stay in teleport this long have either gone insane, go missing, or refuse to speak of the experience. That is an interesting question! I might write a paper on it when we get back. Think, North Pole, discoverer of the secrets of teleportation! I would be bigger than that purple mare. She thinks she is special just because she learned the magic of friendship. She doesn’t understand everything about magical theory! Honestly, she puts some good mages to shame! But, enough about me, my ego doesn’t need more stroking. What about you commander, why are you here? I know Miss, former Wonderbolt. But what about you? Not many ponies seem to know you. Even in Command, they say you just were put in, no questions.” Fleetfoot looks at him angrily since he put emphasis on former.

Airheart joins the conversation, “Well, I used to fly hot air balloons back in Ponyville. Didn’t make much money, but it was a living. Of course, it wouldn’t stay that way. I lost my living shortly after the local vet and her pink friend decide they want to join the business, and well, I looked for a new set of wings. They wouldn’t let somepony like me drive a zeppelin, so I went into flying planes. Most of them couldn’t believe it. A pegasus flying planes. I barely got my license, since most of my knowledge is up here,” Airheart taps her helmet, “instead of on my paper. I did become a pilot, and after a while, I got a letter, can’t remember from who, but they were looking for somepony to join the ‘Space Program’. I thought this was my big chance, and well, I was there since the beginning. Of course, I never got big publicity. After all, who counts the second mare on the Moon?”

Both Fleetfoot and North pole turn with shocked expressions and say, “You’ve been to the moon?”

Airheart smiles and replies, “Well, now that we’ve started this mission, I guess you can know. I went to the moon once. I left a little flag and a present for some astronomers. I don’t think they ever found out what it was!” Airheart begins laughing, small tears falling out of her eyes as the other two look at her with face of realization.

Fleetfoot stops Airheart for a moment and says, “So you were the one who made the whole smiley face on the moon? I know Princess Celestia couldn’t get over that for days!” Fleetfoot looks at Airheart’s continued smile, “So it was you! We had to look for days, in secret no less! I didn’t know you had it in you.”

North Pole decides to add to the conversation, “Well, I must admit, I did find it funny as Princess Celestia frantically tried to hide the smiley face, hoping Luna wouldn’t be upset. Although, how did you hide it, surely Celestia would have noticed a shuttle launch…”

Airheart dons a serious face and says, “I’m afraid that is both a story for another time, and classified. I can’t tell you what happened. Strictly speaking, I was flying a new plane for a couple of military officials. They hired me because the earth ponies and the unicorns couldn’t handle it.”

The twinkling cuts off and the screen begins to shudder. A couple of pencils briefly block the view of the screen and float off towards the center of the shuttle.

Airheart says, “Well, looks like we are at our first stop… the Moon. Welcome to space friends.” Airheart waves a foreleg in front of the viewport, showing the moon, and a vast expanse of space.

Fleetfoot stares out the window, while North Pole stares at the pencils floating towards the center of the shuttle.

North Pole unlocks his seatbelt, and pushes himself towards the center, hoping to stop the pencils from damaging anything.

“We will be heading out soon, and when we come back, maybe we can take a short stop on the moon, and smile for some cameras.”

Fleetfoot and North Pole look at the commander in surprise. North Pole says, “I am always one for fame, but are you sure about that? I mean, this ship can barely fly. How would you manage to get us on the moon?”

Airheart replies coolly, “Well, considering I’ve driven this old girl before, I think I can handle it. Besides, the machine isn’t too hard to figure out, you just need to know its limits.”

Fleetfoot says, “I for one, agree with this. After all, this was a public launch… why not add to the fun. Besides North Pole, who knows what fanmares you might pick up from it? Some of the first ponies on the moon… imagine that.”

North Pole thinks, this could be my chance… After all, working as a scientist hasn’t gotten me much. Maybe with these two, I could go further. Besides, at least I can tolerate these two. The other scientists were so stuck up. Who knows, with these two it might turn into something more than just work. He replies curtly, “I’ll do it.”

A few hours pass as the teleporter charges for the next jump, and the three continue about their work, with the occasional conversation, or request by Fleetfoot to land on the moon.

Eventually, a signal comes up, causing a loud bleeping noise signaling the teleporter is ready to fire again.

Airheart says, “Alright, this teleport according to they boys back home should be a doozy! We need to get into our stasis pods so we aren’t hit by the blast.”

Fleetfoot mumbles and climbs into her pod, and just before North goes into his, he says, “What about you Commander?”

Airheart continues to looks at the screens and replies, “I have to make sure that your pods are working, and make sure the teleporter gets us in the right direction, or at least the right coordinates.”

North states, “If you can, could you please put in the logs that I would like to say goodbye to South Pole, my brother.”

Airheart waves at North dismissively, “Yeah, I’ll get it in once I have the chance.”

North Pole smiles, enters the stasis pod, and it closes. Airheart looks at the screen, and begins typing in numbers into the keyboard. Once she finishes, she presses enter, and the screen begins to flicker.

Sighing, Airheart moves towards the final stasis pod, and enters. She wonders, Is this going to hurt or…. The door closes, and she begins to feel sleepy, as soon as I wake up... it'll be back to work... great.

A klaxon blares from the cockpit, and her stasis pod bursts open. She rushes to the cockpit, and notices on the screen a message, “Critical failure within stasis pods, ejecting if possible. No… no… no!” Airheart zooms towards the other two pods, which have frozen completely, and she stares at the now opaque screen. “Why? Why now? They’re dead aren’t they? They always die with me… It wasn’t just the first crew… but now isn’t the time. The jump is about to occur and...”

Log termination due to large magical or anomalous interference.

Author's Note:

Leave a comment below if you spot any errors, or if you feel it could be better somehow. Anything you say helps later with writing. After all, I don't mind the dislike because it has taught me something. One, I can't please everypony, but also... I forgot this part. Whatever, I knew what I was doing then, and next chapter as you can tell is sads inbound!