SALT Monthly Contest Archive 15 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Gentlemen, gird your loins! A new Practice SALT is upon us, and I think it might hit below the belt this time. Operating on the new rule set, which will be reprinted for those who have just joined us, we must put the lessons we have learned from the intense training montages to the test. You did have a montage, right?

Rules are as follows: I post a prompt, you think up a summary for a story that fits the prompt, You have 24 hours to create and post that summary. Following that, we discuss ways to make the other summaries into a readable fic. Make sure to give as much advice as you can, and don't be scared to post disagreements with the advice others give. After all, the discussions are the fun part.:pinkiehappy: Also, once the commentary has died down a bit, tell us whether or not you would actually write the fic, given the chance.

Our prompt this time is: My toothbrush fell in the toilet.

Get going, and good luck!

You know, when I saw the name of the prompt, I came up with a loony parody to "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean"

My toothbrush fell into the toilet
After brushing my teeth one day
Dare I plunge my hand into the water
To retrieve it and let come what may?
Bring my
Toothbrush
Please bring my toothbrush back to me-e-e
Before
Someone
Flushes it out to the sea

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

868896 Glad you're feeling poetic, but don't forget to add a summary.:rainbowlaugh: Here is mine.
Name: My toothbrush fell in the toilet.
Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life.
Summary: Anypony can have a bad day. Big Macintosh is having a horrible one. It all starts when he goes to brush his teeth, but his string of bad luck doesn't stop there. Crusaders, dirigibles and poor weather align to drive him crazy, but with a little help from a friend or two, the day might not turn out so bad after all.

Plot; Cheeralee and Caramel come over and cheer him up after lots of disasters.

Ah, well, here goes, then.

Title: A Dental Dilemma
Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy
Characters: Rarity, Colgate (others when applicable)
Summary: It's time for Rarity's annual dental check-up, and, as one would expect, she has a record for perfect teeth. However, when Rarity spoils her only toothbrush by accidentally dropping it into the toilet, how will she face Colgate without having done her pre-appointment brushing? Will she be able to salvage the situation, or will she be forced to enter her appointment unprepared?

Puppo530
Group Contributor

I'm going to participate in this for the first time in too long of a time.

Title: The Teethover
Genre: Comedy
Characters: Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Spitfire
Summary: Rainbow Dash has a dark secret, one that she's kept hidden for her entire life, but when Fluttershy accidentally drops Rainbow's brush into the toilet bowl during a sleepover, Rainbow has to cover up her secret and play it cool. However, this breach of cleanliness might throw Rainbow off her game, which would be especially bad on the day of the Wonderbolts tryouts.

The hardest part about this is coming up with a clever pun for a title. I'm still not satisfied. A Brush of Cleanliness? It's in Your Hygienes? Toil over Teeth? Teeth Breach? I still can't decide.

EDIT: I was close enough to the deadline.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

871348 I'll go with that:pinkiehappy: anyhow, here is my review on yours. I can see Rainbow passing it off as no big deal to start, but as time wears on... crazy time:rainbowwild: You would definately have to devote a few passages to both the state of Rainbow's nerves, and to more and more wild imagery of how dirty her teeth feel. I wouldn't call it a dark secret though, unless I am missing something.

870941 Speaking of freaking out, Rarity is legendary already for dramatics.:raritydespair: if you were to take this one on, you would need to go pretty far over the top whenever she thinks of her situation. Somehow, I can see her unnecessarily bursting into one of her friend's homes while begging them to hide her.

What I like about this is that it's Big Mac. I always wanna know what might go on in the daily life of one of the most enigmatic ponies in Ponyville. And yay, Cheerilee by his side. :pinkiehappy:

A secret having to do with Rainbow's toothbrush that would ruin her? I like the sound of that. XD
And concerning titles, that one works, but I would go for a punny or alliterative name. Just my 2 cents.

Puppo530
Group Contributor

First of all, it was clearer in my head when I was writing the summary that the dark secret is that Rainbow Dash hates being dirty. But being a total cleanliness menace would be something Rainbow Dash would feel like she would have to cover up to keep from being laughed at. Just like that article of her going to the spa, she won't let it happen again.

Big Macintosh is always one of my favorites. He looks so cool and collected, it would be interesting to see what he was like when everything's going wrong. It's a very nice idea, and I would read it if you wrote it.

I think this would be hilarious. The image of Rarity screaming "Woe is me!", pulling out couches, and other overdramatic stuff over a toothbrushing issue makes me laugh. This should really be written. I'd definitely read it.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

873610 entirely dirty? I think it would be best limited to teeth, due to Rainbow's tendency to get muddy. I'm glad you like the idea of mine though. It was a toss-up between the one I used and Diamond Tiara burning her mansion down for no longer being clean enough.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9