School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,620 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Oh, so you want to do a Slice of Life Humanized Universe story? Make all of our favorite characters humans? You want my opinion?

Humanized Universes are risky as hell. You never know how the audience is going to react. Especially one without a plot. Things like slice of life stories where its just random shit, and other stories with no plot often fail in humanized categories. Also, don't Bullshit the reader with some stupid reason to turn them into humans. It's technically FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE! Horses have 32 pairs of chromosomes, while humans have 46 pairs! While magic can defy the laws of science, (Example: Levitation) don't use it as your half assed reason for the six main characters to be transported to earth or whatnot!

Next, we have the fact that a bunch of people like to use self inserts in these. It's fun and all, but sometimes, shit hits the fan and you got a Mary sue/ Gary Stu bangin' one of the main six. Not cool man, not cool. You can't do that, its like one of the unwritten rules of the site.

Again, you will also have the problem with plot lines. Zombie apacolypse? Sure, but its been done before. Trying to get accustomed to the human world? Try not to make it your main plot line. Crossovers? PLEASE GOD NO.

On the subject of getting accustomed to human culture, only do that if they've been transported from Equestria. If they've lived there their whole life, then you let them be; They already know the basic way you should act. If they've been transported from Equestria, don't make them magically adapt to human culture. Thats bullshit, and we all know it.

Finally, don't make a human clopfic. We get it, there are cloppers on the sight, and I really don't care either way, but for sweet fucking Celestia's sake, don't make a rip off erotica called "Fifty Shades of Shy"
If you want rule 34, go to ponilove or something. Please.

That concludes our lecture for today class. I hope you've learned something. Now, piss off you little buggers. I need my beer

"You can't use magic to undo science" ...But isn't that all magic is? If it didn't go against science...it wouldn't be magic anymore. Like levitation, it goes against all the laws of gravity, but you go "Oh, it's magic.". On the other hand if you made a scientific reason to defy gravity then it's not magic anymore, it's science again.....right?

I mean, people get turned into pigs by Cerses in "The Oddesy." and people seem to like Homer doing it.

Edit: Ooooh, ok, I understand what you mean. I suppose ponies getting sent to the real world form weird magic is probably as contrived as humans having magic things and waking up in the Everfree Forest. Of all the places to end up they seem to end up there a lot. I don't know why, maybe because it works more like our world so people see it as a bridge somehow?

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

429288 You know, I could have sworn Twilight turned her parents into potted plants at one point. That is a much greater difference than 34 chromosomes.

429323>>429315 Okay, I goofed up there. I apologize for that. But the point I was trying to make was NOT to use some failed magic spell as your wimpy excuse for the story, ya know?

I probably should have made this lecture when I wasn't half asleep and just had a shot of whiskey. :twilightoops:

Edit: Yeah, thats what I was trying to go at. In all of my HiE Stories (which I don't dare post, for fear of being attacked by the multiple angry editors I have) the character wakes up in all these different wacky places, and most of the time don't even interact with the main six. I find it stupid that a simple human will [coincidentally] end up near the six most magical creatures in Equestria, ya know?

Meh. Disagree with the premise of the lecture, since lots of awesome things in writing are risky as hell, and I disagree with the conclusions, because two of the best fics on this site are humanized clopfictions. Not even in terms of the clop, in terms of their characterization and storytelling.

Didn't Wanderer D already explain why an idea like this is shit?

I'm writing a humanized crossover about the mane6 as magical girls.

They aren't turned into humans or transported from Equestria to Earth or whatever.
It's just a group of girls with the exact same personalities and traits as the ponies having an epic adventure of self-discovery and possible platonic lesbianing.

Doushio~?:rainbowkiss:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7