School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,625 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

You all know what you know about the Department of Redundancy Department.

The former-half of the phrase was intentional, and some may not notice, and because of just a simple point in errors in general, let me be swift.

Normally, when something is said, although being written or spoken of beforehandoof, it is very redundant. It's a common mistake, can occur for a number of reasons, let's use one.

1. You get off of your work, but go to it later: In this scenario, well...we all know that it takes a lot to write the chapter of a story in one sitting (Not including your average first-fic that consists of 999- words). You'll end up going back and not realizing that you mentioned something before, you'll end up typing it again, but usually in a different way.

He made sure he grabbed the object before finishing,

This could be after leaving for a moment, maybe later you'll forget you said that and you'll put:

He made sure he grabbed the object before finishing, grabbing the object before he finished.

The easiest way to avoid this is a more varied pronouns for things if its a noun, and double check and change/remove the extra adjective, verb, adverb, etc. and continue.

I hope this pointless speech helped you all so you don't do this in your fictions, because, let's be honest, no one likes it because, to be truthfully honest, they suck.

(That was also intentional.)

I was bored, and had to get it off my mind. Unfortunately, I didn't have much to work with.

TV Tropes & Idioms is a great place to find TV tropes and idioms.

let the redundant comments begin being redundant
(yes that was intentional)

Well. I agree on part where it takes more than one go to write a chapter.
I recently wrote something and it was already redundant enough to require a re-write.

Oh well. Probably that's why drafts are used for doodles and first story is always a bad one? :twilightsheepish:

Edit. Sorting out thoughts... Processing...
Uh. Sorry for useless comment.

I noticed that redundancy happens when some part of scene or a whole scene rolls in mind more than once. Probably writing redundant stuff in different manner inside chapter and then re-reading it might help with choosing which one of sentences feels more right.
When redundancy is intentional, it is easier to notice and memorise where it was left. Right?

Hah, it's funny because we recently had a lecture about this!

You get off of your work, but go to it later:

The US use of the "off of" is so redundant it it hurts. The "off" already implies that there's a subject that you, someone or something was on.

For example: "Get off of him!" she yelled
and compare "Get off him!" she yelled

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6