Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Periphery
Group Admin

I'm afraid I have to start out with a terrible secret and admit that I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I've been thinking for a while that Fimfiction needed a way to promote good stories that failed to gain much attention, and talking with Toafan lately, we decided to start this group. And I figured we needed a first-day-of-operations post here to kick off the new group, and possibly offer a place where people could suggest potential improvements.

We don't have our strategy firmly locked in place yet, so hopefully we can figure out how best to keep a good balance between not being too restrictive, yet not ending up with overwhelming numbers either. And, of course, one of the key concerns is quality, because we want this group to be about bringing attention to the stories that are really worthwhile. Otherwise it ends up not much better than using the regular browse function. These stories frequently have really minimal feedback to judge them by, though, so in addition to the guidelines we set up, remember to use a discerning eye in general.

And most importantly, we need people to be aware of this group. It will be useless if it doesn't help bring any attention to the stories here. Now if only I knew how to draw attention to the group itself.:rainbowhuh:

sgtnolisten
Group Contributor

[youtube=K8E_zMLCRNg]

Maybe you should have waited till there was more than one regular level member before posting this...

toafan
Group Admin

Well, there's a couple of ways we could raise awareness.
One, we could get someone with some degree of clout on board. I've no clue how many people look at user-pages, but if we could get, say, AbsoluteAnonymous onboard/to say something about it, that could drum up a lot of attention. (Of course, having too much attention could bring its own problems.)
Two, if you add someone's fic, tell them! I told sgtnolisten when I added Hello Again, my Opposite, and boom! New member. Make sure to mention it in the comments, though, so other people who like these kinds of things can find us :twilightsmile:
Third, just telling people in general. I'd told my pony IRC chan that we were working on this group, so when we went live I dropped them a link. The tricky part here is having interested targets and not spamming it. If you go this route, you're on your own.

sgtnolisten
Group Contributor

306307 I've been asking some of the owners of bigger named groups if I could start threads dedicated to group advertisement, but nothing's coming from it at the moment.

I've started some in the "Fallout Equestria" and "Conversion Bureau" groups, so let's wait and see how it works out.

I just found this group after Wanderer D posted a blog post, where he said: "Oh, and a heads up. Cool stories are being ignored! It's a travesty!"

I thought, "there outta be a group for that!"

And, here it is! Hi, all!

Periphery
Group Admin

These message board threads really need to send out notifications.

Anyway, welcome to the group, even if I'm a few days slow in replying.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6